{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Mercury.Muses » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Hey!! Any tips on how to get motivated for writing??

I've always entertained myself with the idea of having a journal and documenting my every day life because I like to look back on the little moments - but I also dislike writing by hand. To compromise, I started an online journal however my issue now is that I just don't write?? I've never been able to consistently write in there even though I'll have the free time & want to write. I get stuck in that place of not being able to apply myself mentally to open up my journal tab and write something. I know I just need some motivation and push to start writing but I'm not sure what could convince me to push past that block..

Thanks for any tips/advice in advance!
Signature under construction.

Hey! Will you help me decide on a new username? http://www.strawpoll.me/10382494/r Vote here!
Mercury.Muses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

RunningRace wrote:Hey!! Any tips on how to get motivated for writing??

I've always entertained myself with the idea of having a journal and documenting my every day life because I like to look back on the little moments - but I also dislike writing by hand. To compromise, I started an online journal however my issue now is that I just don't write?? I've never been able to consistently write in there even though I'll have the free time & want to write. I get stuck in that place of not being able to apply myself mentally to open up my journal tab and write something. I know I just need some motivation and push to start writing but I'm not sure what could convince me to push past that block..

Ugh, relate. Maybe set yourself some goals? Join a competition or something? Maybe Camp NaNo could help, even, idk. Good luck, hope something helps! o:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:19 am

RunningRace wrote:Hey!! Any tips on how to get motivated for writing??

Write FOR someone, or even to them! I could never bring myself to write much of anything outside of schoolwork, until I just started publishing my writing online (first on Tumblr and then my own blog). Feeling like people are expecting me to write (and enjoy reading it) is a huge motivator for me.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Anyone doing Camp NaNo next month? c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby head.ache » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi guys! I'm starting to write a new story and I need some advice. The protagonist is a private investigator who gets too close to the truth of a mass kidnapping he was hired to investigate, he ends up kidnapped by the corrupt organization behind the whole thing. The organization was conducting research on mental illness and he becomes one of their test subjects after being injected with a formula that gives him amnesia (I'd go more in-depth into the plot and about how the formula works but it's pretty complicated and not really important to my question). Sorry for the bad summary.

Is it necessary to have a few chapters before my protagonist gets kidnapped that serve to introduce the case, give the reader context and clues to solving the case? They would also give the reader a good idea of the character's personality before he gets amnesia and forgets his identity. Or would that be unnecessary? Would it be better to start off with the protagonist already kidnapped and with amnesia? This would make it more of a challenge to figure out the mystery and who the protagonist used to be before he was kidnapped. Thanks! c:

▶ hey I'm headache! ^^
I love art, writing
and mother 3.
I'm always online so
send a trade or pm!
september list auction
trading thread
writing thread
head.ache

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Well, I think the second choice would add a lot more suspense and draw the readers in more as they would want to know what was happening.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 pm

I feel like it'll be easier to connect with the character and his situation straight off the bat if you start beforehand, but it'll be more mysterious and intriguing if you start in the middle of the action. That said, you can still build sympathy by starting with him amnesia-d already. Idk, that was probably no help, sorry XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mercury.Muses » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:35 pm

@ThePaprika

If you're stuck, why not write it both ways?? - That may sound a bit weird lol, I like both ideas so I'd have a hard time picking between the two but what if you wrote the beginning with amnesia first (in case you decide you like that idea more) and I'm not sure whether or not this is how you see it in your mind but you could always then write those first few chapters before he gets kidnapped and just connect it onto where you start with him having amnesia if you decide you like having the background set in place before. That way you'll have both options available to your liking! I hope this input helped you out in some way.
Signature under construction.

Hey! Will you help me decide on a new username? http://www.strawpoll.me/10382494/r Vote here!
Mercury.Muses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Springtalon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello people, I'm Savannah and the primary reason I avoided posting on here...was pretty much because I was at a camp last week lol.

Anyways, I am back, and I am willing to offer advice to people, and I honestly could also use some.
Does anyone have any tips on keeping the 'slow' scenes in my dragon book from being boring? I'm willing to pm examples if needed
once we've
if we stand as
someday becomes
and a prayer becomes a
and the strike starts here
Springtalon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby head.ache » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:28 am

@RunningRace
@TheSongOfTheStars
@Ranger of the North

Thanks for the help! I'm leaning more towards having the book start off with him already kidnapped but I probably will write both versions to see which I prefer as you've suggested.

▶ hey I'm headache! ^^
I love art, writing
and mother 3.
I'm always online so
send a trade or pm!
september list auction
trading thread
writing thread
head.ache

My pets
My items
My wishlist