{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Musicality » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Hey, so I thought I may pose a question as well that's kind of similar?

Do you get better ideas for stories when you're tired/ from dreams, or when you're energized and well rested?
❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
I adore cats, musicals (esp. If/Then),
singing, and chatting it up with new people!

Hey everyone! I'm Musicality!
I used to be "The Succulent Queen". <3

❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
Musicality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Do you get better ideas for stories when you're tired/ from dreams, or when you're energized and well rested?
I get more ideas when I'm tired, and they tend to delve deeper into emotions or how humans work, etc., but my rested ones probably make more sense XD They're a lot less dramatic that's for sure, lol
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:06 am

Definitely get much more interesting ideas when I'm tired/asleep, but I'm processing everything around me constantly and trying to turn it into story material.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:56 pm

I think I'd have to say I actually get most of my ideas from dreams, but sometimes I just kind of go a little loopy when I'm tired and think of a cool story plot XD

Like, what I mean by the dream thing is, well, I dream every night, it's just sometimes I remember what happened in them and sometimes I don't.
For example once I had a dream that an entire school was in this bus in the middle of the desert and they were being all happy and cheerful and loud XD.

Then we finally found where we were going to "stay" (?) which was a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE oasis, like the of a lake. And it was really round. All the students went around the oasis and had desks and chairs. The teacher had a loudspeaker to talk to the people on the other side of the oasis. And also, just saying, this might be a pretty memorable dream not only because of what happened to it but because you know how in dreams you're, usually, YOURSELF in your dreams? Well I was this kid called Max.
Anyway, My friends (well, Max's friends idk who they were lol) Fergus and Leila were next to the teacher with me, but the teacher wanted me to switch WITH THE GIRL ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE OASIS. And we had to swim. Amy (the student i was switching with) did fine, and when I was struggling to swim there, she was already three quarters there?! The next thing I knew I was drowning, and my friends got out a buoy and everything to rescue me. but then something AWESOME happened. I was on a dolphin, half unconsious, my feet blocking its poor airhole. (and yes, A DOLPHIN IN THE DESERT WITH NOTHING BUT SAND, SAND AND SAND. Don't ask why we were there in the first place.). So it brought me back to my starting point, and my friends were AMAZED. (I think the teacher actually passed out?)
And yeah. I'm pretty sure we discovered an underground city afterwards. I like being half asleep and half awake steering my dreams to where I want them to go, ya know XD

also sorry for all the weird grammatical errors and stuff, my computer is lagging XD
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am

when writing, do you prefer to represent and show off your country and culture, explore others’, or create your own?
      usually i try to go with universal themes so it's hard to portray my own culture, especially when it's so different from the mainstream western culture which is usually portrayed in the media. i like to put in bits of my own culture into my story but usually it's not very much because the experiences one would have in my country wouldn't be very universal. that being said, i do love it when local authors write about the history/mythology/modern-day culture of my country, but it must be hard because the market is so small and it won't appeal to the mass. and i guess a step up from that would be about my heritage, not about my country. though i share few countrymen, i know many share my heritage so i like reading about that too, even it's not about my country.

how long can you ordinarily write for without having to stop for a break?
      depends! it varies from 5 minutes to 5 hours tbh - really depends on whether i get into the 'zone' and how much time i feel i have. it's always the most difficult when i'm trying to write but i have an essay due the next day or something and i can't stop thinking about my assignments XD

do you get better ideas for stories when you're tired/ from dreams, or when you're energized and well rested?
      definitely when i'm well-rested! i get loads of trippy ideas when i'm tired but i can really make things concrete and logical when i'm well-rested. especially since most of my stories aren't so much plot-based, but emotions- and people-centred, so it's all about reason and the rationality of human behaviour. i wish i could get ideas when i'm tired though! reading all your answers i'm just like omgoodness how???

Greenleaf wrote:When writing, do you prefer to represent and show off your country and culture, explore others’, or create your own?

I'm a fan of worldbuilding so I always love developing and exploring any cultures I create. Sometimes in the stories I write, I'll have Chinese characters and stuff, but I'm super westernized lol so I never find myself really able to explore the Chinese language/history/culture without a lot of prior research. On the Canadian side of things, sometimes I'll set stories in Toronto or something, but I usually tend to default to nonspecific locations or places in America for some reason. As for other, real-life cultures, I haven't really explored any yet aside from my own country/heritage as I've said above, but when I do dabble in it I try to do as much research as possible beforehand to be as accurate and respectful as possible.

that's super cool! if you ever want to talk about it hmu because just now i'm studying chinese history, mythology and classic literature! and i'm so fascinated by it because it's the ancient civilisation of the east and it's just so different and incredible c:
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 am

Things've been p quiet 'round here, so I thought I'd ask this again c:
Code: Select all
[b]What have you been writing recently?[/b]

New comp!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Moonblaze-Angel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm

What have you been writing recently?

A little boop titled Chronicles of Avalask; it's something I've been trying to write for like the past year and a half. I finished the main characters ages ago, and then I did bits of the world, came up with names of countries, and then I never actually started writing it. I just typed up the intro to it here. There's also a poetry contest going on at my school, so why not.
Moonblaze-Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ScarDolphin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Recently I've been working on a story where at birth you get a necklace with half a heart and you can choose to go seek your soulmate who has the other half. The necklace is cold as ice, but warms up when you get close to your soulmate.
─── Image ─────────────

I'm Scar // She/her // Cancer // GMT+1 //
─────────────────────────────────────
My interests: My horses // Utapri // Hypmic // Idolish7 // Genshin

───────────────────────────────────────────
⧽ --- ⧼ Trade Thread ⧽ --- ⧼

────────── Image ───
ScarDolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Various bits and bobs, stuff for competitions, things for the prompt challenges.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ice580 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Fanfiction, mainly. Actually, just fanfiction.
Ice580

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me