{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby blackbird. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm

LeiaWolfe wrote:Hello everybody!!
What did I miss? XD I'm in Japan now for a holiday so I couldn't reply to anything whilst on the plane from Australia-Singapore-Japan.
But Japan has actualy inspired me about what to write next - for example-

-It has a chilling sort of cold that runs right through everything and makes it cold
-It has cupboards for blankets that you can hang out/sleep in (a secret portal in a book?)
-The overall style of Japanese houses (some paper walls etc. - you might be able to walk through them in a book to another destination?)

-
This kind of thing, lol. :lol:

Oh, and I was at Singapore airport for a couple hours too ;)

-Beautiful and creative decorations around the place (could write this for an unusual destination the character has never been to)
-A humid sort of weather
-Everything is a city! (Again, maybe a strange destinaion the character hasn't seen)
-

Soooo yeah. Am I taking this too seriously? :what: :lol: ;)

ah what is this asian represent i see!
      yess japan has such an amazing culture and history
      (though gruesome/brutal it may be sometimes)

and i cannot even say how happy i am that you liked singapore!
      it's a tiny little country but it's got heart and so does its people
      it's quite a "model nation" in many ways but careful that its beauty doesn't deceive you
      if you want more info about singapore please don't hesitate to pm me!
      (trust me, i know more about sgp than a wikipedia page does cx )
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:28 am

Hello guys :>

I have a question for you all- what do you think of retellings, and do you have any book recommendations? I've been suuuuper into retellings lately, I recently read Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Cinderella but with cyborgs, basically) and though I didn't like it much, the premise was super interesting. I also read the Conquerors saga by Keirsten White (historical retelling of Vlad/"Dracula" the Impaler but as a woman) and it's my favorite thing I've read in a long time. I kinda want to delve into writing a retelling of my own, but wanna read some more first. They're so interesting, so book recs would be much appreciated <3

Also, since that's a bit more book than writing related, here's a writing question to stay on topic-

Code: Select all
[b]Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?[/b]
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 am

Lol, I saw someone at Bookmans te other day with that book and their sister was getting all mad at them because they were taking too long

Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?
Bedroom, definitely, very private, very quiet, and my cats keep me company.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't know of any novel-sized retellings sorry, Py!

Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favourite?
It depends on how the mood takes me; I switch around a lot cx
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:02 am

Pyjaks wrote:Hello guys :>

I have a question for you all- what do you think of retellings, and do you have any book recommendations? I've been suuuuper into retellings lately, I recently read Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Cinderella but with cyborgs, basically) and though I didn't like it much, the premise was super interesting. I also read the Conquerors saga by Keirsten White (historical retelling of Vlad/"Dracula" the Impaler but as a woman) and it's my favorite thing I've read in a long time. I kinda want to delve into writing a retelling of my own, but wanna read some more first. They're so interesting, so book recs would be much appreciated <3

Also, since that's a bit more book than writing related, here's a writing question to stay on topic-

Code: Select all
[b]Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?[/b]

I love retellings! The last story I wrote was actually a retelling of The Little Mermaid ^.^

The great thing about retelling a pre existing story is that you don't have to worry so much about the plot, so you can focus more on other story elements. As for reccomendations, my favorite anime is Princess Tutu, a sort of retelling of Swan Lake (and various other fairy tales, ballets, plays, etc). If you want book recs, Ella Enchanted is a fantastic Cinderella retelling (and not much like the movie). One prominent sub-genre is the villainous retelling, and for that, I adore the Wicked musical (though I can't speak for the book). One fairly obscure villainous retelling is Til We Have Faces by CS Lewis, which...well, it's a retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche told from the perspective of an ugly stepsister, and it is super intense. It's generally regarded as Lewis's best piece of adult fiction, and I'm inclined to agree. Lots of stuff about religion, identity, and love that's still resonant fifty years later.

Sorry for rambling, I just LOVE this subject xD
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 am

Oh, you might want to check out Gail Cardon Levine, she's written several fairytale retellings

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scoopyfrog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am

I'm working on a retelling right now. Or rather, a story inspired by several elements of Snow White. My protagonist is the woman who becomes the "evil queen." As a child, her village was plagued by ghostly sirenlike beings called the Fairest. The Fairest were pale and beautiful, but deadly. The book sort of just follows her life up until the end of the Snow White fairytale, with all of the original elements sprinkled in: her father owns a strange mirror that he talks to, she ends up raising Snow White (named Neve in this story) but detests her, and of course Neve ends up with skin pale as snow, lips red as blood, etc. I'm basically just putting a twist on everything and completely revamping it, but I'm so excited about it.
I love collecting critters <3

- Magistream -
ImageImageImageImageImage

- Dragcave -
ImageImageImageImageImage
scoopyfrog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 am

antiqeel wrote:
I'm working on a retelling right now. Or rather, a story inspired by several elements of Snow White. My protagonist is the woman who becomes the "evil queen." As a child, her village was plagued by ghostly sirenlike beings called the Fairest. The Fairest were pale and beautiful, but deadly. The book sort of just follows her life up until the end of the Snow White fairytale, with all of the original elements sprinkled in: her father owns a strange mirror that he talks to, she ends up raising Snow White (named Neve in this story) but detests her, and of course Neve ends up with skin pale as snow, lips red as blood, etc. I'm basically just putting a twist on everything and completely revamping it, but I'm so excited about it.

wow that sounds really interesting! i can't wait to read it!

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watts » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 am

-->Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?
    I love writing in bed; most of my writing is poetry, and I find I get most of my ideas late at night or early in the morning, so I'll quickly type everything I need on my phone in notes (x

-->As for retellings, I've never done it myself, but I actually want to try making a thread full of retellings that I want to write. Beauty and the Beast will most likely be the first one I write ..

--> It's nev. , or naomi! I changed my username<;

--> This is an awfully late response, but thank you to those who responded to my poem! I loved the feedback and edited it accordingly <;

--> Hmm. I think I'm going to type using "-->" whenever I bring up a new point, now. I like it.

rpnt watts ; polyfrag DID system

it/they

apex legends || icon (c) tinivy @ tumblr
watts

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:19 am

I feel like I've been more motivated to write this past week than I have been this entire year. It's great, but unfortunately I have an exam in a few days so it's not the most convenient time, lol.

Where is your favorite place to write (hunched over in bed, the library, public park, etc)? Why is it your favorite?

Anywhere where I'm alone and not distracted is usually the best writing situation for me. Usually at night, too, since that's when I'm most tired and the best ideas come out. I sometimes write in my bedroom, but I think I associate my bedroom too much with sleep and fanfiction to focus much unless I'm super into what I'm writing, lol. Nowadays I mostly write in the living room during the evenings.

Speaking of which, I wrote a thing last night, if any of you are interested! Comments and critique are appreciated. As always, I'm also open to helping others with their writing if needed - just shoot me a pm. :)

Regarding the subject at hand, I don't know much about retellings, unfortunately, but I've always been interested in reading them. Never written one myself, as far as I'm aware, but I'd like to try someday!

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---