{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:46 am

Code: Select all
[b]How and when do you break the rules of grammar in your writing?[/b]

I like to mess up lists a lot. Instead of "she, he, and we", I sometimes put "she, he, we", or "she and he and we". In streams of consciousness, I sometimes drop all punctuation and I just have endless thoughts. I also wrote one story where I messed up subject and object pronouns. (In some sentences, I'd have the correct "he hit her", but depending on which side of the story "he" and "her" were on, I'd have sentences like "he hit she", "him hit her", and "him hit she".)
Code: Select all
[b]Do you ever write stories set in different places, involving different cultures, other than the ones you yourself live or have lived in?[/b]
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:08 am

How and when do you break the rules of grammar in your writing?
I'm not nearly educated enough in grammar to know when and how I'm breaking it.
Do you ever write stories set in different places, involving different cultures, other than the ones you yourself live or have lived in?
Oh yes, all the time. But since the setting is usually fantasy I just take bits and pieces from the culture it's based off and weave them into the story.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Moonblaze-Angel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 am

How often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)
Oh, I love to try and figure out where they're from. I've noticed Americans tend to use contractions more, were as Brits are a teeny bit more proper. You can always tell a Southern from a Western American, though - it all rides on how they actually type y'all or not. I once read a book called the Panopticon, and the author was Scottish, the characters were Scottish, and they were in Scotland. Do you know how hard it was to read? She wrote how they pronounced words, not spelled them, and it took several pages before I could understand what some of the words meant. And I'd been there before! Also, only a few cultures use Aye for yes.

I tend to over use commas, semicolons, and dashes. I use them for emphasis or for breath breaks, instead of what they're actually used for. For example, I just did it in the sentence before this one and it looks natural to me (and I almost did it again just now).

Do you ever write stories set in different places, involving different cultures, other than the ones you yourself live or have lived in?
Most of my stories are fantasy/sci-fi/fanfiction, so yes. The ones that I write more slice-of-life style are almost always set in a place I've lived, or have been to before. Usually set in Colorado, though, because I feel like it has one of the most diverse climates of the states; I can write ten stories in Colorado and each of them will be geographically different. The UK + Ireland are also an inspiration for my stories.
Moonblaze-Angel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachycupcake525 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 am

How often do you notice differences in the writing of authors/writers from different cultures? (be it words or terms you're unused to, unfamiliar scenery that's familiar to the author, etc.)
When the author is British, it really sticks out to me when they spell words differently and stuff. Also it confuses me when they use the different words than we use that actually means something completely different to me.
peachycupcake525

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Petlover552 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 am

Usually only when my character is not an american or an adult. ie a child, a foreign friend, etc. I usually stick to what I think is correct grammar outside quotations though.

Image Image

xx
xx
xx
Hi, I'm Amber ♡ I have a long list of stuff I am addicted to... but I will make
it short and sweet, cuz I don't think you wanna be here all day cx
I love all animals, Spirit, Marvel shows and movies (Iron Fist, Civil War, Captain America, Ant-Man, Spider-Man), DC tv shows (Arrow, Supergirl, DC Legends of Tomorrow), and writing c:

Do you like to write? Come on over to Writer's Haven Forum!
I would love to get to know you and read your writing c:

↓ Adventurous Fiction Novel ↓
The Fire Stone
Petlover552

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emoji movie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

oh jeez. i break grammar rules all the time during my writing, only to add effect to the story though.
    i never really break fundamental ones or ones that won't change anything but make your writing look
    sloppier, just the 'this and that and the other' thing. when i'm writing and i want to make something
    seem smoother and almost frantic, i tend not to separate things with commas.

for example:

She swims in the sea-- the salt, the moonlight, and the wind caress her hair and slithers beside her.

would turn into:

She swims in the sea-- the salt and the moonlight and the wind caress her hair and slithers beside her.
emoji movie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I try not to; I'd like to make sure I know how to do everything correctly before thinking about playing around :p

I don't know enough about other /real/ cultures to successfully replicate them, but I do like playing around with my characters' home-culture. I've only just started exploring the world of different cultures and playing around with that, tbh >^.^<
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livini » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 am

- I use bad grammar if my character has bad grammar. In my Five Friends series, for example, I have a character who speaks informally, using words like "gonna" and phrases like "I fight good", and another character who has a peculiar, fragmented way of speaking, mixing fragmented English with words he made up.

- I break grammar rules in poetry (obviously).

- I sometimes break grammar rules for stylistic reasons in my fiction, for example by using fragments.

- I occasionally break grammar rules if the correct grammar would distract from the story. This mostly concerns me using "who" instead of "whom" because not many people say "whom" anymore and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the outdated "whom" in children's literature (it depends on the context, though).

If fictional ones count, definitely! Some of my fictional cultures are a lot like my own, but others are completely different. The culture of Wiewawoe (a country I made up) is centred around the concept of emotionlessness.
Image Image Image Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Stories on Quotev:

In Exchange [Hetalia fanfiction]

A mystery fanfiction involving Switzerland, Canada,
a strange vending machine, and seven stolen cats.

Reach Out and Fall
A psychological thriller full of eerie vibes, apples,
twisted families, friendships and (lesbian) romance.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* Wallflower Pact is the name of the friendship in my fanfiction, not a description of myself.
Help create a fandom here.
Livini

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 am

how and when do you break the rules of grammar in your writing?
      i don't really break grammar rules, i think. or if i do, it's not something i notice. though if i did, i suppose it'd be when i'm using a literary device, like asyndeton or polysyndeton. but i mean, if everyone's doing it, is it still breaking a rule? language changes with time and with culture, so if the language changes, shouldn't the grammar rules change too, and if that's the case, then are we really breaking rules? hm, food for thought.

do you ever write stories set in different places, involving different cultures, other than the ones you yourself live or have lived in?
      yes, all the time! when i'm writing fantasy stories set in fictitious worlds, then definitely. also, when i'm writing about a different time,
      such as medieval time or southeast asia during the second world war. as much as i read up about it, there's no way i could possibly have lived in that time. but in terms of present time, i definitely write about foreign cultures when i'm writing about a western place, like the us or britain. it's easy to find source material because of the west having influence over so much of the media, and sometimes i feel like i have to write about western culture just so readers can understand. it's sort of like the homogeneous option when my home culture is so different from everyone else's.

blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby crazy-in-wonderland » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:05 pm

i'm a new member!
crazy-in-wonderland/ wonderland or wonder / / Yes always