{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby frankie (dup) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:32 pm

I'll throw in my own questions! (Normal members can, right?)

Code: Select all
[b]What is a flaw one of your characters has?:[/b]

Code: Select all
[b]How diverse are the characters in your story?:[/b]

What is a flaw one of your characters has?:
One of the characters in Raven Rise (Aiden) has a very 'fantasy' image of the rebellion he's gotten himself into. He kind of expects it to be all fun and games and super easy. Like, he'll be there for a week and it'll all be better. Or that he 100% won't be hurt, captured, or killed. He's just looking for adventure right now.

How diverse are the characters in your story?:
Aiden is black. I'm not so sure there's room for a major overweight character. (All of the characters are living under the radar, so they have to ration as they can't get food very often, so they wouldn't be overweight, or at least not for long as there's constant exercise in the rebellion.)

I really want to have a trans* or gay character, but I don't want to have one for the sake of 'look, diversity!' It's not set in our world, so no characters with real-world religions.
my dms are open,
but im a spoonie
and i may not
respond promptly.
it's not personal.
especially hmu if
you want to talk
about atla,
im autistic and its
been my special
interest for like.
a bajillion years.
➤ they/it lesbian
➤ canadian eh
➤ gay zuko
truther /lh
➤ please use
tonetags!
➤ feel free to ask for
my discord if we've
talked before
➤ help idk how to
make this pretty
frankie (dup)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:45 pm

@Duplex
    What do you mean, "normal members"? Anyone can post questions; go ahead!

What is a flaw one of your characters has?
    Um...the protagonist of my current series is extremely paranoid, to the point where she goes around counting the boxes of food in the ship's cargo hold because she thinks that her ex threw them in the ocean (?). She's normally very logical, but stress gets to her fast.

How diverse are the characters in your story?
    There are three characters in my story, two of which are black, two of which are lesbians. It's not exactly intentional; I wanted to deal with racial and LGBT themes, so that happened.

Have you ever made a drawing or painting that influenced your writing--by this I mean inspired you to make a new character in your novel, a new plot twist, even a whole new story?
    This happened to me yesterday, which is why I asked the question! Anyways, I drew this one lady, referencing a barbie doll and a rug. I decided that her design would be perfect for a character that comes later in my story.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachycupcake525 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm

One of my characters is rude and stuff to basically everybody. She used to be really shy, but I decided that it doesn't really fit the rest of her personality, so I changed it. I'm trying to give her a lot of flaws to balance out the superpower things she has. I gave them to her a while ago, and it's become a part of her and a big part of the story, but she just seems a bit of a mary sure.

I'm not talking about religion or anything in the story, and I don't actually know what any of that means, so I don't have that in it either. Also it's about dragons. I'm not really bothering with what they look like either, apart from color mostly.
peachycupcake525

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Have you ever made a drawing or painting that influenced your writing--by this I mean inspired you to make a new character in your novel, a new plot twist, even a whole new story?

Heh, I suck at drawing, so all my drawings are inspired by my stories or characters, LOL.

How is your writing influenced by movies, music, and other art forms?

Heavily. A song might inspire me to write a scene for one of my characters, or a movie has a plot that inspires me. I'm mostly inspired by music, though, and a lot of my characters have one or more "theme songs" that fits them perfectly. One character of mine has at least five going for her.

Dante, my griffin, has anger issues. Currently working on showing them more, but he hasn't been in many situations for it to show. He may have anger issues, but they're a little toned down from mine XD. Thankfully, I pitted him with a character he doesn't like much, so he will lash out more than once.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cocoa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Not really - most of the time any drawings I do are inspired by my characters or the stories I write in itself ;o Although... sometimes I do random traditional sketches on my schoolwork when I'm bored and my imagination is itching - at times, little swirls that build up to a almost fantasy-esque world or a new character that might encourage me to later write something about that little scenery / character or add it into one of my current story-universes.

How is your writing influenced and inspired by visual art/sculpture?
    Oh, my writing is influenced a lot by visual art. I love to browse through the Daily Deviations on dA and they always have wonderful futuristic or fantasy-like landscapes, and all types of backgrounds and characters that inspire me a great deal. It's amazing how much character a painting can show when well-executed.

I'm normally not very inspired by movies as I don't watch many, but I'm always listening to music. Music is constantly inspiring different feelings in me: peace, excitement, adventure, happiness, sadness, loneliness, melancholy, nostalgia... I draw off those in my writings (and also in my drawing occasionally) and sometimes into little scribbled poems in the margins of my school papers (It's sorta strange - sometimes I'm just so full of ideas and feelings I can't quite focus on my work until I express it somehow). that's a little off-topic, lol, but also song lyrics can inspire entire characters for me, complete with backstory and history. They can also inspire me to come up with entire new worlds to write stories about.
cocoa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Not really. It's usually the other way around. New characters, or developments inspire art.

Sometimes I pressure myself to try and write a piece that accurately describes a wonderful piece of art.
Movies and music introduce themes and ideas I wouldn't have though up on my own, art gives me stimuli for visually describing landscapes and characters.

Achran has a bad habit of lying and taking things that aren't his.
I try to have each character as their own person, responding in their own separate ways. Not sure if that answers your question or not.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Not that I can remember... I usual draw after I write.

Sometimes when I see a really nice picture I feel like I want to write - and for some reason I tend to write more flowery if there's purple. idk why. XD

Hmm... Music helps to get me into the right mood - if I'm writing a sad scene I'll listen to sad music etc. And there are times when I listen to a song and start itching to write something about it. Movies etc... hmm. Can't really think of something obvious, but everything that happens to me influences my writing in some way, I suppose.

Claire has anger problems. I'm sure there's more, but it's hard to put into words and say "this is what she's like" y'know.
Veronica is rather emotional. I think, haven't really done much with her...
Dominique - how to put this nicely. He's a douche.

To be perfectly honest, they're all pretty whitewashed. And because of my faith, I don't like to write trans/homosexual characters, so they're not there much. I do try, and I'm going to try a lot more to add in more diversity. I have had a dark-skinned MC in one story, but the one I'm currently writing doesn't have a very diver cast. Need to change that in the second draft and the second book. :D
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

have you ever made a drawing or painting that influenced your writing--by this I mean inspired you to make a new character in your novel, a new plot twist, even a whole new story?
        not so much for me, in fact, it's been the other way around. sometimes i feel inspired by a particular painting to write a story about the characters in the paintings (especially in van gogh's and picasso's paintings, idk why) but it's just in my head and i never actually get down to writing it. but most of the time, i do drawings based off my stories or the stories of other people, especially when i have in my head what my characters are wearing and i'm just dying to draw it out. once i went through this phase where i drew sketches of poetry - i think i did the poison tree by william blake and the road less travelled by robert frost, so that was fun.

how is your writing influenced by movies, music, and other art forms?
        well, considering how i started writing on ff.net, i think it's pretty clear that my writing stems from movies or tv shows or even other books. i even did a couple of song fics, but i stopped after a while because it really wasn't working all that well for me. when i started out writing, i relied heavily on already-formed plots and songs to use as inspiration, and after that was i able to form my own plots from my own head, and i'm still working on it. but, of course, i still meddle in ff every once in a while.

all my characters are incredibly flawed. but to pick one, i'd have to choose enzo turan, a british citizen with turkish immigrant parents. he's got abandonment issues, and he can't deal with people leaving him so he's hardened his heart and numbed himself to all emotions. so he can't feel hurt or pain whenever people leave him or let him down, but he also can't experience the full extend of joy and love. it's a give and take, but aren't all flaws like that?

i'd like to think they're quite diverse. in terms of race, i try to be as diverse as possible and i add quite a lot of asian characters to display my own heritage (#asianpride wew). i enjoy featuring some of the dark-skinned asian people as well because i don't feel they get enough recognition, like the burmese or the thai and the south asians. and i feature middle-easterns quite a bit too because i feel they have such a rich culture that people overlook because it's tainted by terrorism. but, of course, it's all to do with context. having racially diverse characters in a small village in the mountains of scandinavia just doesn't seem geographically and demographically accurate, as much as i want to feature racial diversity. sometimes i have characters with disorders such as depression, GAD, ADD but i'm hesitant to use them sometimes because i'm afraid of making the mistake of "glamourising" the disorders or making it seem trivial. i add in a few characters with physical disorders too, some with a broken leg or with asthma or cf. similar to bad wolf, i don't really feature characters with diverse sexualities so all of my characters are hetero.

blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kolechia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:19 pm

I know it says one but my story focuses around two so I want to talk about them both as I love these two with all my heart.

Victor is brutally honest. He just says what is on his mind and doesn't really have any kind of "filter". Due to this is he really insensitive and ends up upsetting lots of people without necessarily meaning to. He can also come off as rather grumpy and snappy. However, because of this, he is actually really good at giving advice. He doesn't lie and isn't very biased, he always tries to give a balanced viewpoint.

Sergiu, on the other hand, is too trusting. He isn't very bright (bless) so he often believes what people say and therefore is really gullible. He is easy to take advantage of and that has happened way too often. He has trusted people who have turned around and just hurt him in some way. For some reason, maybe because he is so optimist, he never stops believing in people. He sorta just believes that even the cruellest of people can have a change of heart and become a better person. Maybe he is so trusting because he is just really lonely and has nobody to talk to as everyone seems to be so cruel towards him- but that is just a random thought.

I would say very.

There are around 12? I think in total in this universe but I'm focusing on 2 to keep it simple. All the characters I have based in this universe are all unique. They all have different personalities, are off different races and all have their own strengths and flaws. I've done this mainly so they can help somebody in some way. Fun fact! This universe is really personal to me and therefore I've designed the characters in a way that give me comfort. They sorta feel real to me-

Some have disabilities both physically and mentally (Vitaly, a past border guard who lost his left arm. Shy who suffers from social anxiety.) I've tried to give them all their own battles and try to make in the most ass of characters relatable.

Victor is rather lonely and is desperate for people to talk to and because of some many years of loneliness, he has become rather bitter. Blue has fled from his home country to escape from war and is cruel as he never got much attention as a kid and had to grow up fast. He loves getting any attention he can and will do anything to get it. There is also Red who is missing his arm and has a robotic replacement (even though in this time frame it doesn't make much sense but oh well) and is rather grumpy and gets easily annoyed. He is just used to being constantly pestered by a past emotionally abusive partner so rather be in his own company.

I find men easy to write about for some reason but I do have two female characters. Elisa (but people mostly call her Ellie) who is a rather small and plump woman who is very motherly and sweet. She is rather scared of everything though and is rather self-conscious. Vixen, a strong very independent lesbian woman who has and runs her own small private army.

My all time favourite (alongside Sergiu) is Kovu. A rather tall gentle chubby giant who is rather quiet yet very well spoken. He is really intelligent and loves science. Wanted to be a teacher but he dislikes how the schools are run so he became a doctor instead. He lives with his husband, Shy and they have about 8 cats.

To put it short, yeah they are rather devised. Long post but I love talking about my characters <3
xxx
.✦ Charlie - He/They - Adult ✦.

.✦ There's No Night Without Stars ✦.

Hello! I don't tend to use this site much anymore but I'll still pop on every now and then. I hope to make some new friends regardless.
xxx
kolechia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Wowee, so many questions! *falls over backwards*
Thanks for all the responses to mine, btw; something I've been wondering about/kind of struggling with (in my mind. so basically still wondering, pff) for quite a while cx

I feel like I'm really bad at drawing, so most of it is done of characters...

I write wayyy better while listening to music than not. The more movies I watch and books I read, the more ideas I get cx If I really like an aspect of a movie I watch (maybe a relationship) and the outline of another, and something else from somewhere else, I'll often mix everything up in a big bowl with an egg-beater and splatter the result all over a baking-tray as my own unique dough! XD I was literally just watching Narnia and wishing I could write like that lol

Tama: embellishes stories; almost a liar, but he tells the truth when it matters and just likes exaggerating XD
Kahurangi: Insecure, not very trusting, and a little bit shy my poor baby
Em: Toooo impatient and hasty. And hot-headed. It's great XD

*groans* Idek. I like to write from my own experience and handle what I know, but there's diversity in that? One character might be based off my grumpy days, or maybe my good days, or maybe the person I hope I am, to give like... three examples XP Also I switch between pakeha characters and Maori characters most the time. But I actually really love creating characters from countries and cultures that I've hardly seen represented in literature, and it's really, really fun—but there must always be a New Zealander! XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me