{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:54 pm

The Worst Username wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:I'm either going to do a rl AU where a lot of NZ's extinct birds are still around (specifically Haast's eagles; biggest eagles ever, with three-metre wingspans cx<) or a dream I had about... just wandering, really XD
      That one about the eagles sounds really interesting. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to wildlife, and the Haast's eagles are actually my second-favorite NZ bird--good gracious, I sound like a dork; what do you think the story would be about?
Hey, thanks! :D Naw, you don't sound like a dork! Haast's our birds in general are great!
Well. There's my problem: I haven't figured it out yet, and I have four days left XD But so far, I'm thinking that if Haast's were still alive today, it's likely we would have domesticated them by now. So I've kinda replaced dogs and horses with eagles and moa in New Zealand cx The police-force use Haast's eagles instead of german-shepherds, and... stuff happens. I DON'T KNOW D: But I'm thinking war almost breaks out between NZ and America for several reasons (America seems like it will work best at the moment because of our not letting anything nuclear over, but I haven't discussed it with Mum yet; she might have more ideas :9) So yeah. I'm stuck and it sucks. :c

What is your favourite line/passage that you've ever written?
Either:

xxxxx“What would you say if I called you a backstabbing murderer?”
xxxxx“I'd say you're a genius.”
or:

xxxxxI saw his face. Moments before I hit him.
(running someone over, heh...)

What is the greatest line/passage you've ever read?
I really don't know lol XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

They say he's a hero who's lost his way-- but he's not. He's a wanderer, and wanderers
    are never lost.

she won't need a knight to sweep her away into the sunset at all - she'll have a dragon to carry her home.

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Xhat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 am

There are a bunch of pieces from my favourite works that I love, but this passage in Lord of the Flies certainly takes the cake! I can practically recite the scene from memory~!

William Golding wrote:"Maybe," he said hesitantly, "maybe there is a beast."
The assembly cried out savagely and Ralph stood up in amazement. "You, Simon? You believe in this?"
"I don't know," said Simon. His heartbeats were choking him.
[...]
Ralph shouted. "Hear him! He's got the conch! "
"What I mean is... maybe it's only us."

I don't really have anything that I've written myself, though. The things that I have written and stuck with are a little too gory for this site. nvn
The lines and passages that everyone else has given are quite amazing! Makes me feel inspired, aha~!
Xhat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 am

@Ranger
    That's actually a really cool idea. Good luck!

@Xhat
    I flipping love Lord of the Flies! I should really read it again. My favorite part was probably that part about Piggy, or the one with Simon (was it Simon?) hallucinating about the sow's head. Also, thank you.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:37 am

I don't believe I have one. I don't really remember exact sentences I write - to me they're just fragments of a greater whole, and the majority of my fragments aren't worth much out of context. If I was going to write anything here it would probably end up being some silly and snarky dialogue that makes me chuckle, but out of context probably just makes me look slightly crazy... So I'll spare you all that. XD

Seems a bit unfair to narrow a single line or passage to a 'favorite'. That said, however, here are some passages that have stuck with me:

Robert Burns; To A Mouse wrote: But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e’e,
On prospects drear!
An’ forward tho’ I canna see,
I guess an’ fear!

Actually, just about anything written by Robert Burns should get a mention.
Felix Salten's 'Bambi' has quite a few good passages as well, my favorite being the discussion between the two leaves.

Felix Salten; Bambi, A Life in the Woods wrote:"Can it be true," said the first leaf, "can it really be true, that others come to take our places when we're gone and after them still others, and more and more?"

"It is really true," whispered the second leaf. "We can't even begin to imagine it, it's beyond our powers."

"It makes me very sad," added the first leaf.

They were silent a while. Then the first leaf said quietly to herself, "Why must we fall? ..."

This carries on for quite a while until one of the leaves is cut off mid sentence as it's torn from it's branch. The passages ends with the simple line: "Winter had come." It's quite chilling and poignant, and one of the most memorable scenes I've ever read.

Now for something a bit more cheerful; I also love this particular line of dialogue from Tamora Pierce's 'Protector the Small' quartet:
Tamora Pierce; Protector of the Small wrote:I suppose he could have changed," Neal said dryly. "I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil." The other pages snorted.

Kel eyed her friend. "You do look yellow around the edges," she told him, her face quite serious. "I hadn’t wanted to bring it up."

"We daffodils like to have things brought up," Neal said, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "It reminds us of spring.

Everything out of Neal's mouth is brilliant. There is another fantastic and gut-wrenching scene in the last book. I won't quote it, so as to not spoil it (if you haven't read the series, I can't recommend it highly enough - it contributed so much to who I am today), but it made me tear up.

I recently read Virginia Woolf's 'Orlando' and that particular book has several highly amusing and accurate passages on writing, which as a writer I fully appreciate, and expect you all will as well:

Virginia Woolf; Orlando wrote:For once the disease of reading has laid upon the system it weakens so that it falls an easy prey to that other scourge which dwells in the ink pot and festers in the quill. The wretch takes to writing.

Virginia Woolf; Orlando wrote:Anyone moderately familiar with the rigours of composition will not need to be told the story in detail; how he wrote and it seemed good; read and it seemed vile; corrected and tore up; cut out; put in; was in ecstasy; in despair; had his good nights and bad mornings; snatched at ideas and lost them; saw his book plain before him and it vanished; acted people's parts as he ate; mouthed them as he walked; now cried; now laughed; vacillated between this style and that; now preferred the heroic and pompous; next the plain and simple; now the vales of Tempe; then the fields of Kent or Cornwall; and could not decide whether he was the divinest genius or the greatest fool in the world.

Much like Orlando, I believe it is obvious how deeply afflicted I am with the reading disease. XP I could sit here quoting books all day, but I'll stop here.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:31 am

Ooo... I haven't done much writing lately and I can't think of any except for from a Doctor Who fan fiction that won't make much sense unless you've seen Doctor Who that I really like... heh

Oh gosh.... I quite like the poem Bilbo wrote for Aragorn in Fellowship of the Ring. I actually memorised it. XD
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire is woken,
A light from the darkness shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king.

Also pretty much everything from the Bible, but this in particular:

1 Timothy 4:12 wrote: Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

Okay, I have a request for everyone. I've been doing a school thing about books vs audio books, or something like that. *Clears throat* "The rise in audio books and how it will affect the reading and publishing of books." One of the sources of information I thought would be good would be a survey of readers. And since everyone here likes to write, it is safe to assume a lot of you read. :D So I'd really appreciate it if you could take the survey quickly, it'll only take a minute Clicky clicky!. (Also, any tips on making it better would be great. XD)
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emoji movie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 am

wildlife. wrote:

They say he's a hero who's lost his way-- but he's not. He's a wanderer, and wanderers
    are never lost.

she won't need a knight to sweep her away into the sunset at all - she'll have a dragon to carry her home.

oml thank you so much for putting whatever the kek i wrote
there, like thanks. i'm shocked you would even consider my
line up there when there are amazing authors like jk rowling
or john green, and like the dozens of coolio people here ^^;
'EMOJI MOVIE JULY 28 TELL EVERYONE
ImageImageImage
emoji movie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:49 am

@Bad
    I took the survey! I don't have any real advice, but how about you add realistic fiction to the list of favorite genres? Also, you spelled historical fiction as hystorical fiction. You could also ask how long the books people read tend to be--if you read 0-5 books a month, but they're books outside of a person's age group or if they're very long, then they probably read as much as a person who reads 20+ short and easy books per month.

@Wildlife
    That's so sweet of you! Inconspicuous deserves it; they're a flipping fantastic writer.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Heavenly paws » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 am

Hey guys! Just me here, fellow writer.
Hehe, just popping in.

Anyone want to answer this/these question/s?
Code: Select all
[b]Have you published any of your works? What publisher did you use?[/b]
Heavenly paws

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Hello! I feel like I know you from somewhere. Maybe I've just seen a lot of your posts. Either way, welcome. What are you writing at the moment?
Have you published any of your works? What publisher did you use?
    Goodness no. I'm too young for any sort of publisher to actually consider me, and besides, the only novel-length things that I've written are works in progress.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me