❛ the lazy writers ❜

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜

Postby ForgottenxSoul » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:52 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
Eating your enemies makes you stronger.
*shrieks with laughter* That is brilliant XD XD *applauds*

Sounds like great parenting to me
ForgottenxSoul

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 am

I have more annoying questions! Huzzah!

Code: Select all
[b]To you, what is the difference between good writers and bad writers--or do you not believe in the concept of calling writers "good" and "bad"?[/b]
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:55 am

AriDeZu wrote:I eat my enemies all the time! And I brag to Mai when I do XD. Mai eats them too.

Who gets the brains?
Clover the Carrot Lord wrote:Eating your enemies makes you stronger.

This is flipping hilarious; I think I'm going to faint.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:19 am

To you, what is the difference between good writers and bad writers--or do you not believe in the concept of calling writers "good" and "bad"?
Well, mainly vocab. That, and if they manage to keep a steady tone throughout a piece. Like, I would consider a writer "good" if they didn't have incorrect punctuation and used wonderful words ((Por ejemplo: sad could be gloomy, depressed, lonely, tearful, heartbroken, or upset)) and they didn't flip between tones like sarcastic and formal ((unless that was the personality of the MC. In that case, it would be a point in their favor))

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Takara » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 am

To you, what is the difference between good writers and bad writers--or do you not believe in the concept of calling writers "good" and "bad"?
Good writers have stories that are relatable, can make you feel for the characters and you want to just keep reading. Bad writers have characters/storylines that fall flat, don't give you a connection to the characters and their stories are really hard to get into. That being said, everyone has different tastes for what books/writers they like, so someone's favorite author someone else will loathe.
Takara

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:44 am

Consistent storylines. Seriously, I've seen newbies that have good plots and just need some more experience and some books that just stink, there is no plot, there isn't even anything that makes sense.
Obviously there's a difference between beginners and experienced, in how well the plot is constructed, vocab, character development, but it doesn't do you any good to have all that done and no stories that any one cares about to apply it to.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:33 am

I don't think it's "good" and "bad", more "experienced" and "inexperienced". If you're an experienced writer, you'll know how to make better characters, more intriguing plots and better grammar! Of course, that's not to say that you can't do all those things as an inexperienced writer, you'll just improve as you write more. I think good and bad will vary between people as well - see the Twilight saga (I'm on the dislike side of that particular fence). To me, there are things that make a book good, but they might be what make a book bad to others, so there really is no ultimate "good" or "bad" when it comes to writing, I think it just comes down to experience.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kolechia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:24 am

look at me changing my username haha

Well to me there is no such thing as a bad writer, just an inexperienced one.

things that are key ( in my opinion)that make a good start to a story:

Pacing.

Language.

Description.

The opening.

Now that last point may be a little vague so I'm going to expand on that. Now, how you start a story is important. Usually, within the first two paragraphs, I will decide whether I want to continue reading or scrap it. I mean if it doesn't engage me it will appear boring so I'll give it a miss. You have just thrown me into a universe I have no idea about. If events are happening too quickly I'll just get confused and not understand what is happening. What is going on? Why? What is the setting? What are the characters like?

I have a habit of doing too much description but blame creative writing exams for that, it is a habit I have gotten into haha. I prefer too much description over not enough. It's important to include enough detail so a complete stranger can read the first few paragraphs and get a rough idea what is going on otherwise they will likely scrap it: Why read something they cannot understand?

Language choice is also important! If in doubt use an online thesaurus to help you with your word choice. Your target audience though is important to the language style you use otherwise your audience will have a hard time understanding what you have written.

I sorta rambled- opps!
xxx
.✦ Charlie - He/They - Adult ✦.

.✦ There's No Night Without Stars ✦.

Hello! I don't tend to use this site much anymore but I'll still pop on every now and then. I hope to make some new friends regardless.
xxx
kolechia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:41 am

To me, it's not a matter of experience.
    Bad writers give up; good writers persevere.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby L.V.L » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:35 am

Hey folks... fellow writers...
    I would love some opinions on this little short story I did.
... what if I had tried harder ... wrote:I stand there looking directly into his face with tears about to flow down my face. His eyes were bloodshot red, pupils were dilated, skin pale like a ghost; his hair was messy, clothes hasn't be changed for days and his stench was something no one should handle. I look down to his hands and his knuckles are covered in small cuts with dry blood; his hand was clutching a bottle like his life depended on it.
"Please, put the bottle down." I took a step closer and my foot kicked a couple of bottles away. Blinking a few times trying to keep back the tears as I reached out my hand towards him. I watched as he narrowed his eye while taking in a deep breath; I cringed backwards as he raised his arm.
"Shut up!" He yelled as he threw the bottle down and it shattered onto the glass bottles surrounding us; a few pieces flying everywhere and I winced in pain as one cut my leg. I looked into his eyes and I knew he saw the cut but we has to drunk to noticed it.
"Adam - please stop." I spoke calmly and took more steps towards him. I see him look around and his eyes keep landing on something behind me. Before I even knew it, he had raced behind me and hearing the jingle I knew they were his car keys.
"No!" I yelped and ran after him, heading towards the front door. Going a little faster I took a hold of his shoulder and tried to turn him around; he tried to push me off but I held on - I knew I shouldn't let him go. "Adam, stop it! You're to drunk to drive - you'll... you'll get yourself killed!" I had stuttered at the last part because I couldn't stand the thought if I had lost him. I wrapped my arm around his arm and pulled backwards; but he was much stronger than I was; he has flipped me off and pushed my back against the counter.
"Leave me the hell alone!" He hissed and pushed me harder into the counter.
"No! I'm not going to let you leave. I'm not going to let you walk out of this house so you can go possibly kill someone or yourself. I have no one else Adam..." I started to choke-up and I tried to take deep breathes, "...everyone else left us. It was just you and me since we were little, we raised each other." I placed my hand on his cheek, " I can't loose you too brother."
And with that, I looked into his eyes and I knew I clicked to something inside. He took a few steps backwards, watching him stumble and I went to go catch him. We both collapsed onto the floor and cried. Wrapping him up in my arms, he let the keys drop to the ground and buried his head into my chest.
"I'm so sorry." He cried.

It's for this contest over on Wattpad.
    There is a few hours left if you want to write out a quick 500 word story. ^-^
L.V.L

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me