{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Hey guys.. What's camp nano? I may have heard of it..
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Camp Nano is a version of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, held in November where you try to write 50k words in one month). Camp is a lot less stringent. It's in April and July, and you set your own goal. Mine is to write 20k words through the month. It's just started. If you're interested, we have a cabin (basically a chat) for members who are participating:)
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Pyjaks wrote:Camp Nano is a version of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, held in November where you try to write 50k words in one month). Camp is a lot less stringent. It's in April and July, and you set your own goal. Mine is to write 20k words through the month. It's just started. If you're interested, we have a cabin (basically a chat) for members who are participating:)

Oh, cool! I might give it a go! Hmm, what to write, what to write....
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucas. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:54 pm

literally a last minute decision but i think i want to do camp nano? i'm going to be super busy so my aim isn't going to be that high, but i don't know, it seems fun and i've never done camp nano before.

i'd really love if i could be added to the cabin if that's possible?? my username on it is rukasu.
i've essentially quit when it comes to most cs things. i'll visit for events to gift away pets but that's about all. however, i may be on for adopts/etc.

current status: probably active.
lucas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:04 pm

My answer on the poll is very accurate as I write the last bits for my story so I can edit in camp; aka tomorrow.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucas. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:43 pm

i'm posting here again, oops. so close to the other post, i apologize. don't kill me mel

i didn't even notice a new poll was up, but for my answer.. i've never really come close to finishing a story and there's a few i sometimes want to go back on but i never end up doing so. i don't know, i'm really lazy when it comes to writing and i often just.. forget about it sometimes? dear lord, how am i ever going to reach my goal for camp nano.

and also noticed i never answered this, so why not..
    Are there any stories that you'd love to rewrite? (Be they your own stories or others, like existing fandoms etc.)
    uhm, yeah probably a few of my older stories i'd want to rewrite. nothing that already exists made by someone else because i'd just be awful at that, but i feel like a few of my old plot ideas weren't all that bad and i'd love to go back and rewrite them completely, but i mean, i don't know. i'm incredibly lazy.

anyway, i have a question!! woo.
    Code: Select all
    [b]What is your favorite thing about writing?[/b]
i've essentially quit when it comes to most cs things. i'll visit for events to gift away pets but that's about all. however, i may be on for adopts/etc.

current status: probably active.
lucas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lysander » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:57 pm

@lucas
honestly i feel you so much on that one lol;;;;;;;;;;;
like i've been mentioning in the chat, i'm absolutely stunned i broke 10k on this stupid friggin story i started on a whim;;
i guess a weird thing that happened post-highschool for me was that i discovered i really like writing nonfiction/essays? afterwards, writing more just... slowly got easier as i had to write more essays for class?? so i guess the solution is to ... make yourself write??

my friend gave me some really good advice once that doesn't pertain only to writing!
it was something like... "the thing about inspiration is that it's easy but not reliable, so you can't rely on inspiration to make you do things. discipline isn't the same feeling as inspiration, yeah, but if you can teach yourself to be consistent, you'll learn that you don't need to rely on inspiration: you can rely on yourself"

sry if this sounds preachy bc that's totally not my intention but i've found that this advice has literally helped me so much??? like, in so many areas of my life honestly;;;

also to answer your q! >:3c

What is your favorite thing about writing?

ohhh my god where do i START!!!!!! i guess first and formost is the whole ... imagination, creativity, freedom thing... the power to literally do anything you want in writing! you can discover entirely new worlds and all you need is a pen and paper??? or in this day and age, my mobile device LOL... it's amazing what people have stored in their brains, like... entire universes????? the heck isn't that amazing ??

writing has also been an outlet for me ever since i was a preteen. i had a pretty crappy 7 years btwn 2006-2013 and during that time i was rping extensively as a way to enjoy myself when i'd basically been cooped up in my house and forbidden to have A Social Life;;; also being depressed sucked;;; i literally only recently (within the last 3 yrs) got over it (anxiety issues aside) and i was fighting with my parents at least once a week for seven years it felt like, so writing was a way to take all that pent up emotion and let it out in a non-harmful way

BUT i think my .. absolute favorite part about writing is... being able to piece together letters and words to make sentences that make up stories?? there's nothing i love more than dissecting style and fitting pieces of a sentence together like a puzzle piece... for me, style, execution, and finesse are paramount! it doesn't matter to me if the plot of something is good — i know this sounds awful but like, if i wanted to consume a media for only the plot i'd just go watch something? but if i'm READING something, i want to be in love with every single word i read... like... i want to read a style that gives me chills???? something that's breath taking? so like, when i write, i aim to do this as much as possible... it might be why writing takes so much effort for me, since i'm literally squinting at EVERY SINGLE WORD to make sure everything flows, doesn't sound awkward, evokes the correct tone... etc...
┌─────────────────────┐

lysander   he/him  about
 chronic hand pain haver
kalonsartadoptswritingtoyhouse
icon by my friend!

└─────────────────────┘
lysander

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:59 pm

lysander wrote:it was something like... "the thing about inspiration is that it's easy but not reliable, so you can't rely on inspiration to make you do things. discipline isn't the same feeling as inspiration, yeah, but if you can teach yourself to be consistent, you'll learn that you don't need to rely on inspiration: you can rely on yourself"

sry if this sounds preachy bc that's totally not my intention but i've found that this advice has literally helped me so much??? like, in so many areas of my life honestly;;;

Well, this is coming from the preachiest person on the thread, but that doesn't sound preachy--I think it's great advice, and ironically, it's inspiring.

Agh, I don't even know where to start. There's just something--and this is going to sound pretentious--lovely about molding the stories in your head into things that people actually might want to read. Also just knowing that you've persevered, and with little to no outside help, you've finished a story, is one of the best feelings there is. Writing within itself can be a whole lot of fun, too.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:56 am

Also, the poll is a little surprising. I've finished many stories, maybe twenty if I stretched it, the longest being the original Story of Dante. I would give a word count, but I'm not on my computer. The shortest, I believe, being one of the first love stories I wrote, maybe at ten or less pages.

I'm not getting down on anyone, but isn't there at least one story you've all completed?

How often do you get muse to write?

Maybe once a week? Typically I get it when I can't access a computer, naturally. Because of this I've learned to write without a muse.

Do you think it's good to start writing two different books together?

If you can multitask. I used to have five different stories going at once, but that soon got confusing, so eventually I chose to focus on one. And have been for the past year, only with a few short detours to other stories.

Why do you write? (to escape, future career plan, etc.)

It used to be an escape, a way I dealt with my issues and problems. In the stories I could have an incredible heroine, someone like me but without the flaws, and she'd fall in love and go on many adventures. But soon, Mary Sue got boring, so I drifted onto more developed characters, with flaws and issues, and I made them real. Now it is still an escape, but more like chatting with friends than living someone else's perfect life. Obviously it's a future career plan, as I feel I was born to do this, and I love the idea of having a profession in writing. So I work towards that when I write too.

Are there any stories that you'd love to rewrite? (Be they your own stories or others, like existing fandoms etc.)

I've always loved rewritten fairy tales, and have dabbled in a few. I'm hoping to dabble in more later on, when inspiration strikes me. And, of course, I do have about six stories (almost all of which I plan to be novels, yay) that I plan on rewriting or just even writing, once I finish my current work.

The characters and world building. I love the freedom writing gives me to create amazing worlds and creatures. I've always had a wild imagination, and writing is where it really comes into play. I also love the characters I create, how each one has a fragment of myself, yet is their own unique person. They're my best friends and they grow with me, or I grow with them. Writing, in my opinion, is freedom. Freedom to do whatever I want, whatever I choose. Freedom I even give my characters and see what they do with it. Sometimes it gets them into bad situations, but there is almost always a way out.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fg05281 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:13 am

Pyjaks wrote:I ended up changing my project and word count goal like...half an hour before camp started. Whoops lol.

SilentMelody wrote:
    i've already gotten a head start on my writing for camp nano...oops! guess i'll be able to update my words as soon as i'm able to.

@Py- I changed it like, a day before, cuz I knew 50,000 was gonna be hard. And I have actual camp later on in the month when I'll have needed to finish it the most, so I just cut down the work count :P
@SilentMelody- Same though. I'm using one that I started like, a month ago, and already had about 1,000 words on. Oops. XD

Also, for the poll, no Megaguirus. Nope. I suck at finishing things. :P
fg05281

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me