{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby fg05281 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 am

How do you keep/build up motivation after being sick?
I don't tend to be sick, but when I am, I'm usually asleep a lot, but when I am not asleep I'm usually on Cs. Roleplaying seems to help keep my creativity moving about, so that's all I can suggest. (Watermelon I feel the same way, I can't answer things XD)
watermelon. wrote:-Snip-

p. s. shout out to all of the chocolate donut lovers for pulling ahead in the poll
also, do you guys like the random polls? or should i go back to the writing related ones?? i mean i'll obviously slip some in there here and there to keep things on topic, but i think i like the random questions. helps us get to know each other, in a way kinda sorta ?? [/list][/size]

YES, Chocolate FTW! I like the random questions, just cuz they make me laugh and they amuse me :)
fg05281

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 am

@Ranger, I made my project so you should be able to add me to the cabin now :D

Sickness dosent make me lose motivation so this isn't an issue for me. In fact if I'm sick I'm MORE likely to write since it's one of the only times I find myself able to excuse staying in my room all day with my PC in front of me :p I also only get sick like, maybe once a year.

As for the polls, I prefer writing related ones because I think they offer another means of discussion on the thread. But at the same time I don't NOT like non writing related ones. I don't really mind either way!

All this talk about camp has gotten me so excited for it :>
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucas. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 am

when i'm in a writing mood and i suddenly get sick, i don't really let that stop me, unless i'm horrifically ill (which has yet to happen). however, i'll probably write less than i normally would if i wasn't sick. but recently, i haven't been sick at all and i've had no real motivation to write tbh? haha.

for the polls // i don't think i really mind, i'm fine with whatever. i agree with what py said, writing related ones do help with discussion and keep the thread more active without it going off topic, but a random poll here & there isn't bad.

also thanks everyone for your answers, i enjoyed reading them! :> i might try and write maybe tomorrow if i'm not busy again. nothing too big, just a little one shot probably. i would totally do camp nano if i wasn't extremely busy next month! i have lots to do and i'm going to be learning an instrument which will probably take up most of my time in july. i'm also going to be visiting family a lot more than normal and going to a few amusement parks/fairs. so i'll have nearly no time for writing, sadly enough.
Last edited by lucas. on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
lucas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:03 am

After being sick or during sickness? If it's a cold or allergies, I just put my nose to the grindstone ("put your nose to the #$%^#@ grindstone" is my motto, I've found), keeping tissues and tea handy. Anything else and I'll just lie down--do not write if you've vomited or had a fever in the past 24 hours; your body needs its rest, for crying out loud.

watermelon. wrote:p. s. shout out to all of the chocolate donut lovers for pulling ahead in the poll
also, do you guys like the random polls? or should i go back to the writing related ones?? i mean i'll obviously slip some in there here and there to keep things on topic, but i think i like the random questions. helps us get to know each other, in a way kinda sorta ??

Eh, not sure if you've noticed, but we're a bunch of writing nerds, not straight-laced businessmen. I, for one, like the random polls! Maybe set up a ratio of writing-to-random questions or something? I mean, this is a writing thread, but just talking about writing gets boring after awhile. You could ask about other hobbies, books, favorite type of cheese, if we like algebra or geometry more, yada yada yada. As Py said, though, writing questions do offer up more discussion than "which is your favorite: the ax^2 + bx + c, the (x+s)(x-r), or the a(x-h)^2+k form of a quadratic equation?"

p.s. i hate donuts
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: --

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

watermelon. wrote:
    ~snip~

also all this talk about camp nano makes me wish i could not only have the time for that, but gain the mental motivation (who am i kidding, also physical considering i'm lazy as it is) to do that. coming up with ideas as it is a struggle, not to mention the follow through fact. i think if i had nothing else to do and i could focus on just writing, i'd be able to improve a lot on this, but that's just not how my life works :c

----
    ~snip~
    ----
    p. s. shout out to all of the chocolate donut lovers for pulling ahead in the poll
    also, do you guys like the random polls? or should i go back to the writing related ones?? i mean i'll obviously slip some in there here and there to keep things on topic, but i think i like the random questions. helps us get to know each other, in a way kinda sorta ??
Oh man, I feel you on that one. ^^
Writing is surprisingly hard D:

Rando = great XD (but writing stuff is also good)

I'm not often sick for an extended period of time (get well soon, man!) but I tell myself I'll feel better if I write; it'll keep my brain active and distract me from how miserable I really am, lol. But I don't often do much. Lol.

Pyjaks wrote:[size=85]@Ranger, I made my project so you should be able to add me to the cabin now :D
Awesome, I've sent you an invite! :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 am

welcome to all new members!
      and welcome back to new-old members (or is it new-old members?)!

how long have you gone without writing? how'd you get back into it?
      honestly i've gone pretty long (about a year and a half) because i was just too busy with school and life and all. i spent my time writing music more than stories and poems and one-shots. i can't remember exactly when i got back into writing. i think it was after i graduated from pre-u and i had more time on my hands, then i looked back on my archives and saw all the incomplete works which (i believed) had so much potential and i knew i'd be damned if i didn't pick them up again. of course, i began reading more and more, especially the works of people i hope to emulate in terms of style. and then after that it's just forcing myself to keep writing and keep thinking of new stories and possibilities and characters. i think it's mostly dead but i'm still working on flo's 100 one-shot challenge because i'm just that kind of person - when i commit to something, i'll do it, no matter how long it takes.
      (@lucas specifically:) i think i saw a couple of your entries for that challenge? (and they're great!) so if you're interested in continuing just know that there's still a glimmer of life left and you're more than welcome in continuing it and helping to resuscitate it!

how do you keep/build up motivation after being sick?
      aw yeah i hate it when that happens (because somehow i fall sick very often)! first step for me is to get better! just focus my energy on resting and recuperating. without being at my 100% i know i can't do anything and i'll only frustrate myself so i do nothing until i'm at least 80% functional. then comes sliding back into normalcy. pick up my daily routines again and try to get my life back on track. like many of us here (i suspect), writing is just a hobby so make sure that study/work/family life is not compromised at the cost of trying to get back to writing. after that, when there's energy and time to spare, then get motivation back. what i do is to see what i was working on before i fell sick and try to complete that, or just pick up a new project. when my brain is back to its normal functionality, ideas just flow naturally! so yeah, focus on your health before your writing!
      (omgoodness i sound like an overly preppy self-help book sorry cx)
      (also to everyone who's sick - get well soon!)

wrt random polls
      i'm pretty neutral towards them - i think they're alright but like py and worst said, i prefer writing-related questions because they really get me to reflect on my own writing journey and question my writing styles.

also...
      The Worst Username wrote:
          ~snip~
          "which is your favorite: the ax^2 + bx + c, the (x+s)(x-r), or the a(x-h)^2+k form of a quadratic equation?"

ax^2 + bx + c by far! i get that it's not so easy to get the turning point and x-intercepts from this but it's the most flexible and i feel i can most stuff just from this one formula. there's no real multiplication going on here, just substituting and solving. plus i'm not a fan of factorisation in general when graphing because everything gets so much more complicated and it's so unnecessary.
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bee buzz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:39 pm

re: length of time gone without writing? honestly months and months. sometimes my mental illnesses get the better of me for a while, or adult life gets in the way. i feel it's necessary to have these breaks though, at least for me. otherwise my writing gets stale, and pieces become same. however, usually i'm met with full blown motivation straight after and write out 5 or 6 chapters for half a dozen pieces each in one sitting. it all depends

re: motivation after being ill? i tend to write while i'm sick, but generally things run the same as above. -shrug-

while i'm here i may as well drop a q of my own;
opinions of self-publishing?

twitter || TH
not presently taking art commissions!
add me on ACNH: SW-8547-7624-6980
add me on duolingo: beezare

I speak English || я говорю по-русский

bee buzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Opinions on self-publishing?
I haven't actually looked into it, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, but in my opinion it seems pretty risky, to be honest. I feel like it's a great way to get your work out there for a start and to get some recognition, but I feel like there's a higher chance for there to be errors in a self-published book than in the other. But that's not true for every case! Those're just my contemplative thoughts. c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ukiiyo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:
It's High Noon wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:
~snip~

Wow! This Is amazing. Your writing style is one I could die for o-o
Awww, thank you so much!! Image

Who's planning to do Camp NaNo next month? I'm thinking of maybe making a combined Inklings/Lazy Writer cabin, but it depends on how many people are interested/don't already have cabins Image

I'd join! :O
ukiiyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: --

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:30 am

lololol I joined a group that is doing a 24 hour Write-A-Thon on July 1st and I'm gonna die because I have a long day of work beforehand and I work out in the woods so it's physical labor, what did I do to myself?

opinions of self-publishing?
Based on what I've researched, if you want to get your work out there, self-publishing is the best way to go as traditional publishing could take forever to even have an idea accepted. However, you have to do all of the work of advertising instead of the company doing it. If you are willing to do that, self-publishing is a good way to go. I have a couple I'm thinking of self-publishing, but I have other series (such as Coyote) that I would much rather have traditionally published.

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me