{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:43 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:
Megaguirus wrote:Also, characters that just. Won't. Die. I haven't encountered many in my readings, but in movies or shows, it irritates me to no end. Look, when you kill off a character, leave them dead! The character who loved them grew from the experience, so if you just bring him back for no reason except "but the fans will be angry", then it's a disgrace to all that the character died for. I'm still salty for what Once Upon a Time did to Hook, and forever will be. Yes, I love the pirate, but when he sacrificed himself, let the sacrifice stay! He's not Jesus!

This. I always get annoyed by people wanting to retcon a character's death, especially when it's the part that makes the work of fiction memorable to those same people. I once saw a video about how someone hated resurrections in stories, particularly anime, which was good until the person randomly decided to bash FMA03 even though it had nothing to do with the point she was trying to make.

This trope irritates me so much that I once wrote a one-shot surrounding it. All the characters died in a bloody battle, then they were resurrected, and then a bomb was dropped just as they started to wake up. No one survived. :)
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 am

The Worst Username wrote:
Nitro Indigo wrote:
Megaguirus wrote:Also, characters that just. Won't. Die. I haven't encountered many in my readings, but in movies or shows, it irritates me to no end. Look, when you kill off a character, leave them dead! The character who loved them grew from the experience, so if you just bring him back for no reason except "but the fans will be angry", then it's a disgrace to all that the character died for. I'm still salty for what Once Upon a Time did to Hook, and forever will be. Yes, I love the pirate, but when he sacrificed himself, let the sacrifice stay! He's not Jesus!

This. I always get annoyed by people wanting to retcon a character's death, especially when it's the part that makes the work of fiction memorable to those same people. I once saw a video about how someone hated resurrections in stories, particularly anime, which was good until the person randomly decided to bash FMA03 even though it had nothing to do with the point she was trying to make.

This trope irritates me so much that I once wrote a one-shot surrounding it. All the characters died in a bloody battle, then they were resurrected, and then a bomb was dropped just as they started to wake up. No one survived. :)

*Fitting music*
That sounds hilarious. Where is it? Is it particularly violent?
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:55 am

Nitro Indigo wrote:That sounds hilarious. Where is it? Is it particularly violent?

Sadly, I wrote it on paper two years ago. If I were to write it now, the story would probably be very violent.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

inconspicuous; wrote:
@Ranger

oooo cooool beans!
my username is LazyAndTired :'-]
i'm only slightly ashamed xD

do any of you have a clue what you might
be doing, if you're doing the challenge?
Ahahahaha XD

I'm either going to do a rl AU where a lot of NZ's extinct birds are still around (specifically Haast's eagles; biggest eagles ever, with three-metre wingspans cx<) or a dream I had about... just wandering, really XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before so I'm sorry if it has, but I'm curious to know:

Code: Select all
[b]What is your favourite line/passage that you've ever written?[/b]

or alternatively:

Code: Select all
[b]What is the greatest line/passage you've ever read?[/b]

For me, I was looking at some old things I'd written and came across this thing from a HG fanfic I once wrote:

I didn't sit in that chair unfeeling in an attempt to distance myself from the world in preparation of what was to come. I didn't collapse upon the ground as my partner did to weep the tears I couldn't feel. I only closed my eyes and laughed bitterly, howled at the irony that made up our corrupted world, till I no longer had any breath left to laugh.

and I thought it was kind of cool. There's another line I like a bit in the most recent story I finished, but that story needs a lot of editing before it's fit to be read, lol.

As for things I've read, I can't think of a particular line or passage that struck me particularly profoundly when I read it (though I've definitely come across some incredible ones over the years), but the last few lines of All Quiet on the Western Front will definitely stick with me for a long time.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:40 pm

What is your favourite line/passage that you've ever written?
Erm the first one that comes to mind is this
"I know it's scary," He smoothed her ears back "But it's an adventure. No one's ever taken you on an adventure. Let me be the first."
What is the greatest line/passage you've ever read?
And this one has probably always been my favorite. It's from Lord of The Rings, I forget which book, probably the 2 towers. Sam talking to Frodo
It's all wrong
By rights we shouldn't even be here.
But we are.
It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo.
The ones that really mattered.
Full of darkness and danger they were,
and sometimes you didn't want to know the end.
Because how could the end be happy.
How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad happened.
But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow.
Even darkness must pass.
A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Those were the stories that stayed with you.
That meant something.
Even if you were too small to understand why.
But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand.
I know now.
Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t.
Because they were holding on to something.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emoji movie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 pm

What bothers you most when reading something?

character inconsistencies or idiotic characters. honestly, seeing a character jump
    from one personality to another or change motivations and stuff randomly is the most
    annoying thing i've ever seen. this, along with words in a sentence that are capitalized
    iN ORDER TO CREATE EMPHASIS, RATHER THAN SIMPLY PUT IN ITALICS. smh, it bothers
    me so much when that happens.

well, i've actually written a couple of them lmao. that's a bit narcissistic, but hey, let me
    appreciate something about my writing.

"But sweetie- oh darling, they lied. They lied about our death- our life- our everything.
    And sweetie-- my mama lied too: two wrongs can make a right, and we can show 'em
    right here."

They say he's a hero who's lost his way-- but he's not. He's a wanderer, and wanderers
    are never lost.

Before I knew it, Charlie was straddling me, punching my ribs and my arms. All I could
    do was protect my face and plead for him to stop. The blows slacked off, and Charlie
    staggered to the rocking chair. He collapsed in it, sobbing.

"Evie Nicole Denton." Charlie repeated the name over and over.

My entire body hurt. Every breath felt like I had rusty fishooks for lungs, but I crawled
    towards my brother.

"When was the last time you slept, Charlie?"

He looked at me like it was the first time he'd really seen me all night. "She had a name!
    We gave her a name!"

"It's a beautiful name."

"She was tiny, Henry. Littler than my hand." Charlie's body shook. He pulled his knees to his
    chest and buried his face in them.

This may not be the greatest passage i've ever read, but damnit it remains the most
    memorable and emotional ones i've seen.
emoji movie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 am

Ranger of the North wrote:I'm either going to do a rl AU where a lot of NZ's extinct birds are still around (specifically Haast's eagles; biggest eagles ever, with three-metre wingspans cx<) or a dream I had about... just wandering, really XD

That one about the eagles sounds really interesting. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to wildlife, and the Haast's eagles are actually my second-favorite NZ bird--good gracious, I sound like a dork; what do you think the story would be about?
Greenleaf wrote:I didn't sit in that chair unfeeling in an attempt to distance myself from the world in preparation of what was to come. I didn't collapse upon the ground as my partner did to weep the tears I couldn't feel. I only closed my eyes and laughed bitterly, howled at the irony that made up our corrupted world, till I no longer had any breath left to laugh.

That's a fantastic paragraph.
      Dahh....I don't know. I've probably written stuff way better than this, but this is the only quote I could find that isn't splattered with curse words:
Cross the Ocean wrote:Black and brown masses toiling in ebony caves beneath an ivory throne?

It's not a great line, but it fits well into the scene. Also, I include way too many racial themes in my writing...goodness.

Also, I have one from the same story. It's pretty rough, but I think it'll be good if I polish it a bit.
Cross the Ocean wrote:That little boat is lost and aimless, stripped of its name, stripped of its flag. Currents push it away from everything that it’s ever known. That little boat moves further and further into oblivion, battered by waves. Living on a prayer. But who is there to listen?

Animal Farm wrote:Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Despite the questionable semicolon use, this is still my favorite. It doesn't sound very good, though, if you haven't read the entire book first; this is a really good way of finishing it all off.
Last edited by The Worst Username on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kolechia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:30 am

His eyes were met by the gay border guard. An overly preppy fellow who seemed to remain cheerful even at the most inapplicable of times. Victor always found him to be rather queer. He couldn’t comprehend how anybody could be so lively at a place like this let alone be so hyperactive at such early hours. Just the sight of his obnoxious grin and his persistent contentment was enough to make him feel nauseous.

I've always liked this section for some reason. In fact, I love the whole passage it is from which I would put here but it's rather long. I think it is one of the strongest and well-written sections. Just reading this part wants to make me re-write the rest of the story as it seems so poorly written compared to this.

As shocking as this sounds I don't really enjoy reading that much and I only read If I have to or I'm simply very bored. Out of all the books I've read I've never seen a quote that really stands out to me.

Until now...

Pathetic dumbfounded idiotic stuck up individuals that only care about themselves.

Not from a book a quote from a piece of written work someone I know wrote. Like damn I can just taste
    the salt and I oddly love it. This a line from a rant they did about slow walkers. I find this so relatable.
xxx
.✦ Charlie - He/They - Adult ✦.

.✦ There's No Night Without Stars ✦.

Hello! I don't tend to use this site much anymore but I'll still pop on every now and then. I hope to make some new friends regardless.
xxx
kolechia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:48 am

“War brought it out in my brother. After the death of The Ancient One, he snapped and suddenly grew this tremendous hate for griffins. It escalated even more when our father was killed by a griffin.” he sighed and turned over on the water, floating belly side down. The stars were reflected on his wet blue scales. “We all have the potential for something great and something horrible. It’s just a matter of what choices we make and what we do about them.”

I was tired of laying in the water and flipped myself over to swim back to land. Once on dry land, I looked at my soaked body. It only took a simple claw to pull back the feathers to reveal the shiny golden scales beneath them. “Those are great words, but what if you’re given something you never even wanted and are destined to do something about it?”

Cobble sighed and swam to the shore to sit beside me. “Dante, you don’t have to do anything about it. You could stay living in this forest forever, nobody will hate you for it.”

“Everybody will hate me. Even you have all your faith in me. I’m afraid of failing, because I have a sense I will. But I don’t want anybody to die because of me. I’ve seen and heard of too many deaths. I feel like I’m too young to hold all of these burdens and to know all of these cruel things. Even before I knew how to fly, it felt like Blackbird forced me to grow up faster than normal. I forced myself to fly sooner than normal to save Trinity’s mother. Then Lofty got killed, and I killed Blackbird and I was banished. It all happened so quickly, I don’t think I’ll ever recover.” I replied.

One of the many favorites, it was hard to choose. My most favorite lines are those that haven't even come out yet, those that are still boiling in my mind. I also had to include more than just one paragraph, to give more context.

Can't currently think of one. I haven't been reading as often as I should, and I can't remember any older quotes that struck me.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me