❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Do you find it easier to write poems, short stories, or longer works? Do you know why?
I think short-stories, tbh; because they're a lot easier to finish than longer stories? I really enjoy writing chapter-books and do it more often, but shorts are easier. And poems are hard because they need a whole lot more inspiration from me :p
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Do you tend to drop stories partway through? When do you drop them--outlining, rising action, falling action?

I'll drop stories as long as they don't excite me any more. If you're not excited by your own writing, then how is your audience going to be? Normally I'll find out whether I'm excited by a story or not while I'm planning it, or fairly early on in the writing of it.

Do you find it easier to write poems, short stories, or longer works? Do you know why?

I would have to go with poetry, just because it's the form of writing that I've done the most of. I like to write poetry because you can do it in one sitting, and it might only take a half hour to write (before edits of course). I mean, my best poem (in my opinion) I wrote in about 20 minutes whilst having a panic attack in my common room, and I just posted it as it was. Poetry should be an expression of your own reality, and that's the easiest way to write for me. I have this thing called "aphantasia" which means that I don't have a functioning mind's eye. I literally cannot visualise things in my head, and so writing realistic poetry is a really good way for me to write in the easiest way possible. That's not to say I don't enjoy writing short stories and longer works, I'm always telling myself stories.

Code: Select all
[b]Speaking of aphantasia (having no ability to visualise imagery in your head), do any of you have it? Or do you have really vivid, active imaginations, or even synaesthesia (seeing colours when you hear music, and other similar sensations where the senses get mixed up)? How does your imagination impact your writing?[/b]

Like I said, I have it and I find that it makes it fairly difficult to create settings and characters visually because I have to make it up without seeing it. However, I have a really active (and sometimes quite annoying) inner voice, which helps because I can sit there all day and tell myself stories, and some of those stories can turn into writing. I just wonder if anyone share this, because I didn't know I even had it before someone explained that everyone else can literally see things in their heads. I didn't know I had it because I never knew it any other way. Apparently less than 5% of the world's population has it, and it's only recently been discovered because most people don't realise they have it and don't know they're different like I did. Even my therapist had never heard of it! It's quite funny as well, because my mum as synaesthesia, so we're practically on different ends of the imagination spectrum! Anyway, that's my little rant about my messed up brain, I'll stop there, but I am interested to hear about your guys' imaginations!
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Sun May 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Speaking of aphantasia (having no ability to visualise imagery in your head), do any of you have it? Or do you have really vivid, active imaginations? How does your imagination impact your writing?
I have a very vivid imagination and can literally spend hours daydreaming stories I would like to write. I usually do this while going out for a walk and I only actually start writing when I've visualized the scene completely in my head.

I'm also a lucid dreamer so many times while dreaming I make myself the main character and change the setting of the dream to a scene that is particularly difficult to write as real dreams are even more vivid than my daydreams and this helps me to describe things. :)

One time I even started feeling in my dream... :shock: That, ehm, was not very pleasant. Is this your payback for treating you like that, main character?! :lol:

My mind is a strange place to be honest. I love it. :D
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun May 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Backpack, I think that's actually pretty common? My mum and several other people I know don't 'think in pictures', as I call it... Or maybe you two have something different. Idk XD

Speaking of aphantasia (having no ability to visualise imagery in your head), do any of you have it? Or do you have really vivid, active imaginations, or even synaesthesia (seeing colours when you hear music, and other similar sensations where the senses get mixed up)? How does your imagination impact your writing?
I think in pictures! I don't think I see colours when I hear music, or anything like that, but I can't know until I notice and really pay attention, because it's normal to me :p
HOWEVER. I definitely do stuff like that with other things, hehe. Mondays are red, Wedensdays are greeny-yellow, and Fridays are silvery-blue. And threes are girls. XD I'm sure there are more examples, but I can't think of any at the moment..
I'm not sure how it impacts my writing, because I've never been in anyone else's head... XD But I think it helps me and depresses me, at times? Certain pieces of writing are really vivid; I can picture them perfectly, or something like that, so I hope to... to give that to the readers of my work c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Speaking of aphantasia (having no ability to visualise imagery in your head), do any of you have it? Or do you have really vivid, active imaginations, or even synaesthesia (seeing colours when you hear music, and other similar sensations where the senses get mixed up)? How does your imagination impact your writing?
Great question! I have a pretty vivid imagination, and can visualise scenes as I write them. Often I almosy end up watching a movie while I write.
Like Ranger said, I have colours for days of the week - Monday is back, Tuesday is green, Thursday is red, Saturday is yellow. Monday, Tuesday and Friday are male, The rest are female.
But yeah, irs helpful for character development as well, if you have a good idea of what your character looks like, you can carry that across into your writing without much conscious thought I guess.

(Scuse mistakes, I am on mobile)
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Well, I know I don't have synaesthesia, and I don't think I have aphantasia. They sound like interesting conditions to write for/with/about. I do have this weird habit where I can't picture something and think in first person at the same time. It's kinda weird and happens in some dreams, too. Also, my brain thinks in 2D. That's the only way I can describe it. Dreams have no depth, and daydreams get "stuck" because my third person "camera" tries to get a different angle, but just...can't? It's strange. Either way, this means my writing is mostly third person, and I have a hard time getting extremely attached to underdeveloped characters. I can kinda put on some more developed characters' personalities and try to almost journal what "I" would now do, which it how I can write in first person at all. I feel like this process makes me develop my characters to some extent. That, and I feel like the whole daydreaming process helps my visuals, though I try not to write out size or scale because of that lack of depth. Whatever happens up there, it definitely generates enough starters to give me plenty of writing material!

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon May 22, 2017 12:49 am

It's easiest for me to write and finish one-shots, just because I can pick whatever particular scene is running through my head at the moment and enjoy not having to come up with all the complicated plot and such. But it's easier for me to think up ideas that fit into longer works.
I have neither. I don't think I'm very unique in the way I think at all. I tend to bring up images, but not very clear ones, they tend to all get blended up in the action. Or I'll see one image in my head for a particular scene, but have the dialogue in a different setting. And I don't have words in my head, it's more streams of consciences that are like voices.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 am

Longer works, definitely. Poetry always felt like a really restrictive medium to me, and I couldn't ever get the balance right for short stories--I would plot to much or not plot enough; I'd think that since the story is short, I don't need character development--and I would screw everything up. If I write good short stories, then I just end up lengthening them. If I write longer stuff, then I can get all my thoughts out.

I don't have either. I'm imaginative, but until the second draft of a story, I usually end up associating random cartoon characters and drawings with my cast. For the longest time, I would imagine my main character as this guy from Avatar: the Last Airbender--my protagonist is female. But I kind of got off-topic, whoops.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon May 22, 2017 2:13 am

I don't have either. I imagine "pictures" and "movies" in my head when writing (or reading for that matter), but I can't like, see colors when I listen to music. Although, that'd be pretty cool. I could, and do, daydream for hours about my characters. Like, in bed at night, that's how I fall asleep. I'll just start thinking and headcanoning about my story. XD
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 am

I'll have to say that the "easiest" of those three is long stories - If I decide to write a little thing, than that's it; it's freaking little. And then I'll get all these ideas from that short story, and I'll want to write soemthing longer, and then blagh. Poems are okay, but they're not something I do on a regular basis. It's like, I enjoy doing them - but they don't always come out willingly, you know? So, long stories. I guess they're just . . . more satisfying.

Mmm . . . . I know I don't have aphantasia, but I'm not entirely certain about synaesthesia - if by synaesthesia you mean beign able to see scenes when music plays, sure? There's colors in those scenes, but I'm not entirely certain it counts. But anyway, yeah, pretty big, vivid imagination. It's how I got started writing in the first place! :D Though generally what my people and places look like fluctuate depending on what manga/anime/artist I've been looking at. How does my imagination impact my writing . . . I think that if I couldn't see things as vividly as I do than my writing style would be very different. I'm not sure how it would be different, but it would be.
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me