❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby winged-backpack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 am

Do you use any kind of oc sheet?
Nope, Femie's character exists completely in my head and nowhere else. Makes it easier for me, the moment I try to sit there and get her whole character into one place is the moment I will lose all love for her. I'm developing her character as I go so that I have that wiggle room for creativity with her character. No disrespect to people who do use character sheets though! I'm all for it if you know exactly your character's traits, flaws etc. It's just with Femie, I know as much about her as anyone who's read 10,000 Doors up to where it's written so far. I'm kind of sounding like I don't know my own character here, but I guess it's working for me right now :lol:

Do you have certain songs that fit certain characters? Theme songs, so to speak?
Not for my book characters so far. Some of my art OCs do, like Crescencia's is Poison by Alice Cooper and I guess Pumpkin's is the original This Is Halloween from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'll have to think about Femie, I'm sure there's a song that really represents her out there somewhere! (If anyone has an idea for her, I'd love to hear them!)

@crepsecular
That sucks, though I get what you're saying, I've been at a loss for weeks with 10,000 Doors. I find that just forcing myself to sit down and write can help, though I was reading this book written by a Professor of psychology and he was saying that taking a moment to focus on your "problem", then doing something to distract your mind (like a puzzle or a game) for a while, then thinking about it again can help you to get back into the creative mindset. There are a lot of studies he cites to back this up, so I trust it (even though I'm really biases as a psychology nerd myself). Also, as far as I can remember, no one actually made the fanfic thread, so you could totally do that (just double check though, just in case)

@ranger
I'm happy to do that. Would that be chips as in crisps or chips as in chips like fish and chips though? (Love being that awkward UK person who has to ask ^^')

@Bucket
What the hell are college applications like where you live? We have to write a 4000 character (incl. spaces) personal statement explaining why we would suit the subject and get the right grades for the UK. I mean, apart from the online UCAS application where you have to add your school year, d.o.b, gender etc., that's literally it?? I'm really feeling out of place being from the UK here lmao!
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
BucketORandomness wrote:Random character development thought: My creative writing teacher says you should be able to order for your charrie at a restaurant. You could also, however, fill out a college application for them. Those things ask for all kinds of information and specifics.
[center]Ooh. Tbh I wouldn't know what to order myself at a restaurant, but I can try find me a college application form XD

You can easily check out the Common Application at commonapp.org and fill in the college applications without actually sending them anywhere. All you'd have to do is make a free account and fill in the same questionnaire a bunch of times for the new characters, but then there are more specific questions related to each college specifically, so you could use those and just never submit any of the applications. Ever.

winged-backpack wrote:@Bucket
What the hell are college applications like where you live? We have to write a 4000 character (incl. spaces) personal statement explaining why we would suit the subject and get the right grades for the UK. I mean, apart from the online UCAS application where you have to add your school year, d.o.b, gender etc., that's literally it?? I'm really feeling out of place being from the UK here lmao!

It really differs depending on the method of application. If you go online, your essay has a much smaller word count, and if you use the CommonApp, the max is 650 words ((not characters)). However, it doesn't ask "Why should we let you in" it's more like "Some students believe their application would be incomplete without the mention of a certain interest, hobby, or skill. What is that for you?" or any of seven more ambiguous questions like that. You also have to include if you want to stay on campus or not, preferred application type ((Early Admission? Or Standard Admission? *blech*)) and you have to indicate if your family is in need of financial aid, or if your parents graduated from the college, or worked there, or live there, or if any siblings are applying to the same college, or if you served in the armed forces, or if you're the dependent of someone who served in the armed forces. Some may ask for standardized test scores, while others just ask for your transcript. Some ask for both. If you're mailing in an application, you have to pay to get the transcript or scores printed officially ((the only way they'll be accepted)) and send that through the mail. Then you have to indicate your race, ethnicity, gender, religion, and a ton of tiny details that make me wish it was as easy as yours sounds. That's not even considering the letters of recommendation or you're counceler's approval notice 0.0

Do you have certain songs that fit certain characters? Theme songs, so to speak?
Actually, I don't normally have theme songs for any of my characters. Ever. It's kinda something I always think "Oh, hey. That would be cool." and then never actually do

If I plan it, then yes. PTEN has character files, and the only other piece I've planned had smaller versions that included their role in the story. When I'm winging it, though ((Which, being honest, is all the time)) I have no such planning phase for anything.

Code: Select all
[b]Why do you write?[/b]

I like to write, mainly because I like to have fun with different worlds and mainly to escape reality. I really like fiction, mainly because more realistic fiction feels so boring. I'm already in the real world, so why should I read about it in my free time?

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 am

Sometimes... I haven't with the characters from Timeless actually... I should do that. Not sure if I know them well enough yet tho..

Yup! I have a playlist with songs that suit my characters. (Ranger found half of them XD) Once I have a few for each character I might make individual playlists.

Why do you write?
Because I have so many stories in my head that I need to get out somehow. I look outside and see things that give me inspiration. I write because if I don't I'll be overwhelmed by the worlds in my head. I also write because it can be fun - because I have whole worlds and friends who will be with me whenever I need them. (That kinda sounded weird but oh well!)
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am

I'll be joining y'all in the non-nano corner. How 'bout both types of chip?

Do you use any kind of OC sheet?
Nope. They're not really useful to me. I probably should use them a bit more than I do though.

Yep. Not a whole lot though.

Why do you write?
Because whether I try to or not, stories constantly play out in my head. Writing them down helps me solidify what's already there, and someday share it with the world.

Oh, yeah, I should probably mention - This is Aliria/Lii, with another new username. Hopefully this one will last pretty long.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am

Fairy Prince wrote:
Oh, yeah, I should probably mention - This is Aliria/Lii, with another new username. Hopefully this one will last pretty long.

As long as you keep the dancing marshmallow I shall recognise you ^-^
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 am

Woogwoo Wren wrote:
Fairy Prince wrote:

As long as you keep the dancing marshmallow I shall recognise you ^-^

Don't worry, I doubt I ever will... I changed it once and couldn't bear to look at my profile because it was so horribly wrong... This random gif from a friend's computer will stick with me until I'm dead...

Also why does nobody love third person omniscient. Third person omni is great.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:55 am

I guess I like third limited more mainly because I've never tried writing third omniscient with success.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:54 am

Omncisent is where you can either bounce around from everyone's heads or not be in anyone's head at all right?

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Omncisent is where you can either bounce around from everyone's heads or not be in anyone's head at all right?

Yep. It's the best perspective for author voice because of that.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Oh, then I guess my favorite is Omniscient, but limited is okay. I just have so many characters with so many different perspectives that are important to the story that I don't think it would be a good option.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me