(Open) Choose Your Own Adventure - Tailchaser's Song!

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

(Open) Choose Your Own Adventure - Tailchaser's Song!

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 am

Hello, thanks for picking up this thread! I thought it'd be an excellent idea to do some writing for my personal Tailchaser's Song characters, and it's even better to try making a CYOA, should there be interest.

The first post after this will list characters, a map, and the path the cats mentioned usually take to travel between-clans. This post is dedicated to explaining the game and what the verse is about. The second will document changes as they happen, as well as resources (written by myself) that explain more of the universe.

What is Tailchaser's Song?

Tailchaser's Song is a novel written by Tad Williams. It was a single novel, rather than one of a series, that contained a story about a cat of the Folk named Fritti Tailchaser, whose dear cun're Hushpad has disappeared without a trace, along with other unnamed cats that have up and left. He goes on a quest to find her and it takes him to the ends of the earth. The story contains a lush setting, well-written lore, and a less extensive 'glossary' of the Higher Singing, which is another name for the cat language within.

On naming:

Cats are given three names - their heart name, their face name, and their tail name. (I have posts that explain these in more words.)

Their Heart Name is the name given to them by the cat that birthed them. These range from 5 to 7 letters; example: Fritti, Tirya, Firsa, Grizraz, Viror. Some canon heart names can be a bit longer, but in my system of naming I restrict it from 5 to 7. Sometimes the name will incorporate a word from Higher Singing; Fri- means small, for example.

Their Face Name is the name given to them after they've come of age. They're more complicated (though they have four different 'forms') and represent some aspect of the cat, whether it's pelt color or personality or skill. Unlike traditional warriors naming, they don't usually imply more than one in a name. These names are names like Pouncequick, Fencewalker, Clearsong, and Sunback.

Their Tail Name is a secret to all but themselves, and they must go on a journey to find it, more often than not. It's so special that none are even spoken in the book, so no one's sure what they would sound like, and if you had a character with one I'm sure they wouldn't tell you, either! They say that when you lose your tail name (after finding it) you lose your sense of self.

About TS-world:

Cats live in clans, though there are only two named within the book. For the sake of coolness and variety, there are four included in this setting: Firsthome, in Rootwood; the Meeting Wall clan, in Old Woods; the Dew-leaf clan, in Southern Rootwood; the Tall Grass clan, to the south-west of Ratwood, but north of the Tailwend. Some smaller groups may live elsewhere, and it's not uncommon to happen by another traveling cat on the roads, though it's not a thing that happens every ten minutes. Cats from Firsthome may have more eccentric names (Rootwood-style), but may have one of the other naming styles if the parents are from elsewhere. The other clans use all but Rootwood-style naming.

In the past, there was a great calamity that happened near the Vastnir Mound. As this is a spoiler, I can't exactly speak of this.... but I will say that the area still reeks of fear and danger, long past such events.

It is currently the reign of Daniva Longstretch, the queen of the Folk. She has two children, Kisiv Stargaze and Periv Dawntreader.

About the CYOA:

In this CYOA, your cat (as in 'the cat the readers make decisions for') is going on a journey to find their mother. a cat who went out on her own and never came back. They were immensely worried for her, so they became restless. However, the wilderness is dangerous and not every cat can make it through unmarred. This in mind, your cat felt unsafe traveling alone, but as luck would have it, a traveling band of Folk have stopped by their home and allowed the cat to travel with them.

The rules are rather simple!

1. I post a passage about happenings.

2. I give you a number of options to choose from.

3. You (clearly) tell me which option you wish to do.

4. I roll some internet dice via random.org to decide what happens.

On how to participate in the CYOA;

To participate, you firstly have to be signed up. That's the most crucial step - when you're not signed up, you can't give a vote for a choice or anything, all because you're not involved in the first place.

After signing up, and after the CYOA starts, choices will be given. When a choice is presented, you may vote on the choice, depending on what exactly is available. For example:

Mod post: You come across a forked road; one path goes to the east, into a forest, whilst the other leads down a shallow slope to a seashore. What will you do?

Choices suggested in post: East path, West path, or Inspect surroundings.

Players can choose suggested choices only. Generally speaking, it's preferred that a player explain reasoning behind the choice so the character acts more in line to this reason. Example:

P1: I vote to go down the east path. It's more protected and we / the cat will be less likely to be seen as we travel.

P2: I vote we look around at our surroundings. I want to see if there's another pathway that's hidden.

P3: I vote we go down the west path. We'll avoid hidden creatures and we'll be able to see what time of day it is, roughly.

When a majority of the votes are in - specified in the main post when more sign up - I will do a simple random number roll to see whose choice we follow. This way it's not biased to follow one or another. I may give choices that allow voters to vote whatever they want, such as a name decision.

On another note, some rolls will be entirely dependent on how developed the main cat's skills are; for example, a roll may be required if the cat is trying to sneak successfully (and I will say as much when posting the choice and posting the next thing if the choice is chosen). Simpler things shouldn't require a roll, however, such as walking down a path or answering a question (unless you're making a bluff).

Ths CYOA will end eventually. I would like to say 'when you find your mother', surely, but I can't promise you that - you may be taken elsewhere, or you may perish. This is a CYOA, after all!

Hopefully the world of Tailchaser is forgiving for you!

Please sign up by posting below, after other posts have been made. If 10 members are signed up, we will start the next choice when 7 or more votes are in. If other want to join past that cap before I start posting, let me know. You don't need to have read the book in order to sign up or participate!

Signed Up Members:

These people are allowed to pitch in a vote on whatever choices are available. Anyone not signed up will have their vote invalidated if they try to vote.

= Arcaii

= Nullitas

= TsukiEnd

= coolkat360

= snekkies

= MidnightMoon666

= MP3 iPod

=
Last edited by Altias on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:54 am, edited 9 times in total.
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure - Tailchaser's Song!

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:08 am

Map o' the world:

Snap/Pop's Domain applies to the domain of the Rikchikchik - the squirrelfolk. The pale orange dots represent the Clans and where they are situated. 'Thane' territories belong to the Thanes and their groups; Thanes are the descendants of the Firstborn.

Currently, the route of the travelers looks like this, though it is always subject to modification:

Cast o' Cats:

The Protagonist

-> This cat is the one who makes our decisions for us - the one whose choices we vote on, anyhow. Your votes will affect their life as they travel through the land.

Full Name Undetermined

-> Gender undetermined, home undetermined

When looking at themselves in a puddle, they would likely see this:

Image courtesy of Paleclaw.

This cat has unknown fur color and length and unknown eye color. They are of unknown stature; they may be larger or smaller, but they could also be of average size so this can go unnoted. They come from an undetermined clan. They are currently seeking their mother, who went out on a journey va-siz and never returned.

Their stat spread is as follows;

Dominant skill: Unknown.

Weakest skill: Unknown.

Skill Levels and Progress:

Fighting; 1. | - - - - - |
Hunting; 1. | - - - - - |
Tracking; 1. | - - - - - |
Climbing; 1. | - - - - - |
Swimming; 1. | - - - - - |
Sneaking; 1. | - - - - - |
Cunning; 1. | - - - - - |

*At rank 1, rolls have a 30% chance of failing, a 50% chance of being successful to a limited degree, and a 10% chance of being completely successful.

*At rank 2+, roll chances will increase.

*Specialization assigned in the beginning of the run will bump a stat to rank 2 automatically.

Main Characters

= You! No name yet, and no fur chosen... but it will be decided soon.

= Prizka Sparrowcall. White-and-brown-tabby fela with a stubborn disposition. Leader of the traveling band of Folk.

= Jerovi Stormtracker. Gray tabby with white. Fela with a quiet personality. She's the tracker of the traveling band of Folk.

= Rozir Duskfur. Black-furred tom with a white locket. Less serious than his counterparts, and is a skilled storyteller. He tagged along and became the lorekeeper of the band of Folk.

Cats of the Court

~ Daniva Longstretch. Queen of the Folk. Small dark gray tabby with green eyes.

~ Kisiv Stargaze. Prince of the Folk. Gray tabby with a white locket and green eyes.

~ Periv Dawntreader. Princex of the Folk. Dark gray tabby with a white underbelly and yellow eyes. Agender.

Cats from Firsthome

==

Cats from the Meeting Wall clan

==

Cats from the Tall Grass clan

==

Cats from the Dew-leaf clan

==
Last edited by Altias on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:08 am

Events:

- We start.

Resources + Information

Glossary List. Words with an asterisk in front of them are created by myself for more versatility when using the Higher Singing.

How to speak in the Higher Singing, i. More will be written eventually.

Thoughts on Word Construction. / Higher singing, ii. This has less to do with how to speak it and more about constructing words from the glossary.

Character notes: The Traveling Band. More in-depth than the brief description entails.

Naming styles and how to name a cat, i. Hosted on my main blog, apologies.

More notes on naming, ii.

A general character creation guide for TS fancharacters.
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:16 am

Everything is finished - feel free to sign up now!
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: (Open) Choose Your Own Adventure - Tailchaser's Song!

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:19 am

Arcaii wrote:(slams hands down on table) PUT ME IN FOR SIGNAGE

YOU'RE IN (TOSSES TABLE)
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nullitas » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:33 am

*dusts off CS account* Alrighty I am prepared;;sign me up, please. (✿´‿`)
“This story isn't fictional.
And that’s why all of your ‘tragedies’
Are so stupid that it makes me yawn.”
Nullitas

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:38 am

Nullitas wrote:*dusts off CS account* Alrighty I am prepared;;sign me up, please. (✿´‿`)

Sure thing! Gimme a moment.
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TsukiEnd » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 am

I am so so into this haha <; sign me right up!
TsukiEnd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Altias » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am

TsukiEnd wrote:I am so so into this haha <; sign me right up!

Gotcha on the list! o/ Thanks for signing up!
Altias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me