Time spent 1 hour, 29 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Viscet #1205 — WINNER

Postby magpiemochi. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:36 am

winner wrote:username: iBrevity
name: Marion

Mmmm.. those greens though. I really wanted to do something interesting with this viscet, but unfortunately, even in the month we had to get these done, inspiration just wasn't on my side. I still hope you guys like it anyway.

competition wrote:there will only be one required section for this competition, the rest is totally up to you. I'd like to hear about a cherished item this viscet carries around with them and why. You have an unlimited amount of words to tell me about the item + explanation why they cherish it so much. As for the rest of the form, impress me in 1500 words or less with up to three optional art pieces.

end date: march 4

rules wrote:— always be cool. no need for passive aggressive behaviour or negative words. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
— unlimited words to tell me about the item and why they cherish it.
— 1500 words for the rest of the form.
— up to three pieces of optional art.
— prettying up is fine!
— you don't have to follow the skeleton form 100%. It's just there as a guideline, really.
— have fun!

form wrote:
Code: Select all
[b]name:[/b]
[b]gender:[/b]

[b]what is an item they're never seen without? Why? (unlimited words)[/b]

[b]go crazy in 1500 words or less![/b]

mutations:
slit eyes — rare
dragon nose — uncommon
Last edited by magpiemochi. on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.
magpie / she/her / adult
ImageImage Image Image
pfp & sig art by me
magpiemochi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Viscet #1205

Postby grifforik » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 am

name: Hm... mark.
what is an item they're never seen without? Why? (unlimited words)

go crazy in 1500 words or less!
grifforik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby serotonin. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 am

art by me

Name: Midna Valkyrie Lisandre

Birthday: June 3rd

Zodiac: Gemini

Nicknames: Valk, Kyrie

Themes: Fight to Live // Molgera

drawn by commandant, colored by true knight

526 Words wrote:Midna pressed chilled forepaws together, a quiet shiver running down her spine. It's gone. There was a frigid look in her eyes as she turned around in a circle in her room, scanning every surface, every possible place... it's gone. It couldn't be gone. The item in question was a pocket watch she'd been given when she was small. It was on a blackened chain, and it was forever bound around her neck. For some reason, last night, she'd taken it off.

"Why... Why oh why did I take it off?" Her nerves were rattled. The fur around her neck had settled in such a way that it left a rift whenever she took it off, and she stopped beside a mirror, mourning the loss of such a treasured piece. Where? Her tail coiled around her rear paws, her head lowering so she could brush her paws against her face. Rubbing at narrowed eyes, she let out the faintest grunt of distress. It had to be in her room, of course. There was nowhere else it could be. She didn't remember much of the night before, she'd been so exhausted after coming home from practice. She turned a scrutinizing glance to her bookshelf, eventually finding the priceless necklace on the floor. Her floorboards were dark, it was no wonder it was hard to see. It was only a second before she'd picked it up and put it back around her neck, heaving a sigh of relief.

She turned over to face the mirror, once again, a look of ease in her eyes as the little piece rested against her blue tinged pelt. She remembered when it'd been given to her. It was a day she'd always remember, despite the fact that she'd been little more than a viscling the day it'd happened.

"You are different, child. More than you can ever imagine. They will cast you out because of it, Midna." The tail of her mother, Valkyrie, wrapped around the young Viscling, bringing the child to curl down against it. Their pack was one that lacked mutations, and Valkyrie could no longer protect her child from that truth. Mutations were a curse. Everyone else assumed that her child was damned, but she would hear none of it. "But do not let it bother you. There's a certain kind of power in this necklace, Midna. It will capture whatever mean things people say, and it won't let them harm you."

Midna had long-since outgrown such tales, and she knew the necklace was nothing more than a way for her to deal with others harsh words and stares. She'd left the barbaric ideals of that secluded pack, and had found sanctuary for herself living with two others who'd been visclings in the pack, born with mutations as she was. There had always been a melancholy tint to her eyes, and still, it did not fade, her lids lowering as she stepped away from the reflective surface. A paw lifted to hold the cool metal against her chest, a quiet comfort. The weight of the piece was a comfort she never desired to go without. Perhaps she never would.

personality - 667 words wrote:INFP - "The Mediator" introverted | intuitive | feeling | perceiving
True to her personality type, Midna is constantly looking for good in the world, even in the worst of people. She's got a beautiful passion for the things that she loves, but above all else, she's an idealist at heart, and will always take the good out of a situation before she takes the bad.

STRENGTHS

Idealistic | Midna is an idealist. She's unshaken in her belief that everyone is born good, and those that are perceived negatively are simply 'misunderstood.' She's got an incredibly resilient attitude and a capacity to deal with hardships. Never does the betrayal of someone shake her for very long at all.

Harmony | A very harmonic individual, this viscet works hard to ensure that everyone's voices are heard and she gets every perspective. She's not one to rule others, and she's much more passive than she is dominant.

Flexibility | Her beliefs are flexible, and she has a very live-and-let-live perspective on life. So long as it doesn't challenge her, personally, she's no issue allowing anyone to do as they desire. Likewise, she doesn't always take into consideration her impact on others, and will simply do what she thinks is right for herself.

Creativity | Her intuitive nature enables her to connect many perhaps 'unconnected' things together to unite under one common theme. She utilizes this in her personal time, one of her favorite hobbies is to write stories for characters she has created.

Passionate | She's got a devoted nature, and when something catches her eye, she will go all in. Dedicating time, energy, money, whatever it takes to see the project to the end. Combined with her creativity, this can lead to some very beautiful productions. In the future, it is certain she will do great things.

Energetic | Midna seems to be nothing but boundless energy, though she hides it behind a mask of shyness. As soon as she gets to know someone, however, they see her for the bright spark of energy she is, and the love for life that she has a seemingly endless amount of.

Dedicated and Hard Working | This viscet is never one to give up on a project she's picked up. Even if it seems monumentous, even if everyone else tells her the task is impossible, she will work at it until it is complete, no matter the cost. This can lead to high personal cost, such as her health, if she gets too involved in a project, but it has never stopped her before, and there is no stopping her, it seems.

WEAKNESSES

Too Idealistic | Sometimes, that idealism can be taken too far, and she forgives people time and time again. She tends to forget that not everyone is perfect, and can run into problems when she gives too much credit to the wrong people.

Too Altruistic | She can see herself as selfish, but only because she cannot give everything. She would give everything she had, given the right situations. On top of that, it is very easy for her to be taken advantage of.

Impractical | Midna can sometimes forget to complete basic tasks of the day, such as basic self-maintenance. Often she will forget to eat, or even get up and drink anything if she's absorbed herself into a project. It helps her to have friends around to remind her to complete those basic tasks.

Takes Things Personally | Every challenge and critique she takes too personally, and she will stop and reassess what she's doing 'wrong', sometimes changing negatively. She takes things to heart, and tries to avoid conflict so much that she has been known to change her own personal values before confronting someone about theirs.

Difficult to Get to Know | She's very shy, and closed off, which can make her initially very hard to get to know. That's offset by how open and loving she can be once that little exterior has been broken away, and she's quite softhearted.

relationships - 121 words wrote:Sahaqiel
"As a father figure, I know you relatively well. I know you are Andromeda's father, and for that, I am certain you've some good in you. You've made questionable choices, but I can see past them, for the better of both of us."

Andromeda & Deimos
"You're by far my best friend, Andro. You've got a dark side to you, but that's alright. It suits you well, I think, though I doubt I will ever really participate in your games, I appreciate your company, nonetheless."

Kryssanthium
"I only know you through work, but you're very nice. While others may have bothered me because of my differing features, you've embraced me for them, and for that I can only thank you."
Last edited by serotonin. on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
serotonin.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Razors » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:27 am

Last edited by Razors on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razors

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SilverSamurai » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:47 am

crying because I can't...

Yo, I'm Silver and like talking with people and making new friends.
I enjoy music, birds, anime/manga, video games, and art. Feel free to send over a message whenever if you'd like to chat!

A lot is happening right now, but I'm doing my best

"I fell apart, but got back up again,"
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunlitsecrets » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:51 am

name: Prosper

possible wip ~
--------------
my characters!
-infj, hufflepuff
-traditional artist
ImageImage

Sunlitsecrets

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby milo. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:00 am

mark!!!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
fleabag & resident alien own my whole life
milo.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jingle bells. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:54 pm

name:

Ahhhh mark!
jingle bells.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iBrevity » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 am

name: Marion

what is an item they're never seen without? why?:
Marion's earliest memory is that of a woman's warm laughter. He grows up under the tutelage of a female who looks nothing like him, with pale pink hair and bright amber eyes and he loves her desperately despite it. She is quick to smile and quicker to laugh and he never asks her why they look nothing alike, why she has no pack, why she goes around whispering stories to anyone who might listen. She waits until he's older to explain that she is not his mom, no matter what he calls her, no matter what she does for him. She tells him, I found an egg in the woods one day, and I couldn't stand to leave it. She tells him, honestly I didn't think you would even hatch.

But she tells him too that she wouldn't trade him for the world, that she is glad she found him, that their stories aligned at just the right angle so that she was the one who found his egg, and she was the one who subsequently became his mom. It was meant to be, she tells him, with the same fervor she tells stories to seeking eyes. You're mine.

Her name is Esme and she says she named him Marion because that was her mother's name. She is a storyteller, a wanderer, a restless nomad. They never stay in any place for very long, no matter how a pack might beg them to linger. Esme tells stories like it's as easy as breathing, and Marion wants so badly to be like her. He is still a pup and unsteady on his feet and taken in by her low voice and eloquent words, and he decides young that he wants to do as she does. He sees eyes hungry for stories and he sees her give them mythologies and legends and he thinks, I could do that. I want to do that.

Esme has a small pouch that she keeps about her neck and within it she says is fairy dust. Her eyes always sparkle when she tells Marion the story of it, of the small forest creature who approached her when she was a child, who gave her the dust and told her to give it to others. It was this that caused Esme to leave her pack, her family, her parents; she felt a calling to tell stories, the dust thumping like a second heartbeat to her chest. She said the fairy had magicked her maybe, had infected her with the urge to speak, but she always said it with laughter so Marion knew she loved it. She was never happier than when she was telling a story.

Whenever she settled in to speak she would start a fire and urge whichever pack they were visiting to come gather round; and Marion would tuck himself in among the curve of her belly, and she would lean over the flames and begin to speak. The fairy dust she would loose from about her neck with soft, dreamy sighs. She would wait until there was a pause in the story, a thrilling, trembling breath and then she would throw some into the fire, a few tiny grey kernels, and the pack would jump at the hissing sound the fire spat. The flames would turn colors, blue and purple and green, electric, incredible colors that added something to the story, that encouraged a watcher to lean in, to look for faces in the fire, to search for the truths of their own lives.

Marion grew up and he learned Esme's stories and he learned her little tricks, her mimicry of voices, her dramatic pauses. He grew up on her mythologies and tales and memorized whatever he could get his hands on. He watched her tell stories with the fire softening her eyes and he knew that there would never be another who could compete with her.

But Esme was significantly older than Marion, hardened by a restless life, by a homeless wanderlust. While Marion grew stronger and bright-eyed Esme stooped; her hips bothered her in the cold, her teeth resisted any meat not gentled by the sun. She was tired more often, unroused by the pleas for a story, preoccupied with finding a place to settle for a night and then wanting to stay there for days longer than necessary. She began showing Marion how to use the fairy dust, how to treat it; she showed him how it must always be respected, how a piece must never go to waste. She explained that the bag would refill sometimes, perhaps once a month, always when one wasn't looking. She explained that Marion must remember to be kind for if he was not the fairy dust would not work for him. She explained that someone needed to go around telling stories and she told him it would be him now; that she was tired, and that she needed to rest.

You must go alone, she told him, and removed from her neck the fairy dust pouch, fitting it around his front paw with a few subtle twists of her teeth. You will continue what I have started. You will tell the stories they need to hear.

Marion lingered for a few days. He didn't want to leave Esme, even in the narrow paradise they'd found, in the shallow cave that lay out against a warm river. He was used to her company, to her laughter, to her stories; but it was as if something had been ignited within him when she had laid the fairy dust to the inside of his wrist, and he was desperate to go. He was torn between her and the stories and eventually, after she watched him pace with a sad, knowing smile, he left. He promised he would return, that he would visit her and she smiled and nodded and wished him well. She said, I was always meant to find you. She said, remember what I taught you.

Years passed, and Esme's paradise became her grave in between one visit and the next. Marion continued to tell stories and the fairy dust remained at his wrist, an eerie pulse that shivered against his own. Sometimes he would even tell stories of Esme, when the dust whispered to him to remember, when his memories of her could be used to help another. And like she had said he never grew tired of seeing how the stories helped those bent over the fires, those who listened, those who looked into the magenta flames and saw past mistakes forgiven.

[gif version here!]
[art by Grifforik]

personality:
jovial || merry || gregarious || peculiar
Marion is an odd soul, but a spectacularly happy one. He will always believe in the best of people, no matter what they have done in their pasts, but he's not especially trusting. He has never known a pack and so blind obedience confuses him; he does as he wishes, ad not what someone tells him to do. He tends be to quite friendless, as he moves around too often to maintain many relationships, but he doesn't mind. Marion is very well-known in North America, and will cheerfully visit the same pack twice. He says he goes only to packs that need him, whatever that may mean, and that he tells stories that will change someone listening. The stories are all unfounded in history; they are not known outside of him and Esme, and he tells so many of them that they are difficult to remember with precision. He has a soft spot for songs and will sometimes offer to trade a story for a new tune, and as he walks he tends to sing. He does not mind being alone but neither does he mind companionship. If he can find proper berries or seeds he will feed birds in passing, for he loves especially their songs. He has a soft spot for the small lizards that look at him with their strange eyes.

While Marion is comprised of nothing but good intentions he is very strange, and sometimes his decisions on things can go completely misunderstood. He tends to get lost in thought, especially when he is alone, and his attention is only ever focused when he tells a story. He says that he does not imagine new stories but that they come to him, as if someone is whispering them whole into his ear. He is never seen without the little pouch he wears at his wrist, and becomes defensive only when it is in danger of being removed. Otherwise Marion seems without temper, and unbothered by the little annoyances of the world. Due to his constant traveling he is quite well-versed in various pack laws and religions, and has an open mind to meeting new ones. Like Esme taught him he always builds a fire before he begins his stories, and throws fairy dust into the flames. Holding a conversation with him can be a difficult task; Marion is quite in his own head, and when he is not telling a story it is sometimes hard to speak with him. He is quick to laugh, and nearly always smiling.
[426 words]

short story:
Marion goes where the dust tells him, and it wakes him from slumber one night and whispers, East. So Marion rises and begins to walk and sings to keep himself company, building stanzas off snatches of songs he's overheard, off melodies he barely remembers. When he reaches the outskirts of Nemo's lands he's pleasantly surprised; he's been there a half dozen times before, and he loves the functionality of the pack. It's one of the few that doesn't bother him, as Nemo never expects obedience where there might be dissent.

He sees among the trees a flicker of red and brightens, and shouts, "Canicus! I come bearing stories!"

Canicus emerges from behind a birch with a quiet laugh. It's winter and his breath curls up about his golden eyes like the dragon he is named for. "Marion," he greets. "Rohan will be glad."

"Rohan?" Marion repeats inquisitively, then grins as he closes the distance between them. "Have you found yourself a sweetheart, Cani?"

That startles a laugh from him, and he shakes his head. "No no," he says, "Rohan is new. Serafin has been telling him of your stories and he's been wondering about you stopping by for months."

Marion preens. Like Esme before him, he is always glad for a willing audience. "Good," he says brightly. "Then I will be sure to pick a story for him tonight."

Canicus escorts him to the clearing the pack calls their home, where the others mill about the shallow dens and chorus a greeting upon their entrance. Marion cannot help but smile; he cherishes his time among Nemo's pack, where the folks are curious and kind and patient. They will forever be his favorite to speak to.

He passes the day accompanying Serafin on his errands, which mostly consist of checking the growth of various fruit-bearing trees. Rohan tags along, a slight dark shadow at Serafin's heels, and Marion is surprised at how patient the younger dragon becomes with him. Rohan is as inquisitive as Canicus warned; he asks Marion dozens of questions, about where he's been, about what he sees. He obliges the child with tales of formidable mountains and unbearable summers and leaves that turn an extraordinary gold in August.

As the light wanes and they return to the dens Marion sets out to build a fire. He has practice with the task and it takes him little time, but Rohan watches with great interest. Marion waits beside it while the sun settles behind the treeline and then lights the debris. The fire burns merrily in minutes and by some unseen signal, the pack gathers around it. They sit close, in little groups, leaning on one another, sharing shoulders and seats. Rohan sits directly to Marion's right, framed by Serafin, flanked by Canicus. It is a tremendous thing, seeing the little family.

Marion shifts and presses his leg to the ground and feels the dust grind against the fine bone in his wrist. He think, what should I tell them? And the dust whispers into his skin, into his bloodstream. He opens his mouth and speaks.

"Once upon a time there was a lost little boy, and the lost little boy was alone. He walked through endless forests where the shadows stretched long and eerie and the birds would not speak to him. He walked where the sun did not set and where the leaves reeked of something dead. He walked without knowing where he was going, what he was intended to do. He walked without purpose and did not realize he needed one.

"Then the lost little boy found a lost little man, and that lost little man had a lost little son." The dragon family goes still beside him; he sees it from the corner of his eye, but he does not stop. "The lost little boy says, I don't know where I am. I don't know who I am. And the lost little man hesitates. He thinks of his lost little son, of his son's hardships, of his son's temper. He thinks, what if this boy is like another?

"But the lost little boy only looks at him, and the lost little man cannot bring himself to be cruel. He says, we have a home. He says, come with us."

Marion pauses. The words pulse behind his eyes and he rises back onto his haunches, loosens the pouch at his wrist. He scoops some of the dust out onto his paw and blows it fiercely into the fire, where the flames crackle and then turn an exquisite gold. It is uncannily the color of Canicus' eyes and of Serafin's too, of the little golden bracelet Rohan wears on his foreleg. Marion turns to them; he says solemnly, "And the lost little boy and the lost little man and his lost little son all became a little family, no longer lost at all."

Rohan smiles. The fire is still gold, and where the embers smolder it is startlingly yellow. Marion smiles in return and Rohan says knowingly, "Most children have two parents, you know. I think our family has room for another."

Marion laughs, because there is nothing he can say. The dust takes him where he needs to go, where he needs to be to understand something or hear something or learn something, and so perhaps this was the intention of the eastern dream that woke him.

After a moment Canicus says shyly, "I guess you're right, Rohan," and he will not meet Marion's eyes the rest of the night without sputtering into embarrassed murmurings. Marion finds it too endearing to explain that he is only flattered, and charmed, and thinking maybe of having his own little family with golden eyes and hearts.
[956/1074]

Last edited by iBrevity on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 13 times in total.

[art by Baylin]

brev [she/her]

kalon moderator
approvals are -- closed
iBrevity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby funderful;; » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:58 pm

dropping out!
Last edited by funderful;; on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
funderful;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me