23 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Illuminated Male Elkrin

Postby Jendalie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Enver

Owner: Verdana
Breedable: Yes
Type: Illuminated Elkrin

The Elkrin From the Deep Woods

This male Elkrin is one of the 'illuminating' types. It is found deep in the forests of Eldemore and gives off a bright glow from within. They are mysterious creatures that, while hardly ever seen, are slightly curious about humans. Although rightfully wary they will watch at a distance if the person is unarmed. Your task is to travel deep into the Western Woods and try to befriend this majestic male. What strategy will you use? How will you accomplish tracking him? Be sure to give me a full report on your venture.
Last edited by Jendalie on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jendalie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Illuminated Male Elkrin

Postby Jendalie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Congratulations Verdana!

Rules

~Those with the best form will win this Elkrin.
~You are allowed to add more to the form until the final date when the winner will be chosen.
~Do not argue or whine if you do not get this Elkrin. There will be MORE in the future.
~Do not take any of my ideas without permission. I now have to state this in all my rules because of past issues.
~Do not use pictures from Google in your form.
~Only talk about the other Elkrins on the main page.
~If there are any questions post them on the main thread for a mod to answer. We will no longer answer questions through PM.
~Form requirements may very so be sure to check this Elkrin's page before posting.
~Enjoy, and if you do not win simply congratulate the ones who did and look forward to the next release. Do not make the winner feel bad because you're sore about losing.
~Be respectful and polite to each other and have fun with your form.
~Because of recent problems we will automatically disqualify and give a strike to anyone found trying to guilt or harassing others either on the threads or through PM.
~Remember that besides our own rules all Creativity Forum and Site rules apply.

Code: Select all
[strike][center][b]:Form:[/b][/center]
[center][b]Name:[/b][/center]
[center][size=85](Give this Elkrin a name)[/size][/center]
[center][b]Personality:[/b][/center]
[center][size=85](Describe his personality.)[/size][/center]
[center][b]Art/Story/Poem:[/b][/center]
[center][size=85](Provide either artwork, stories, or a poem to better illustrate this Elkrin's character.)[/size][/center][/strike]
Last edited by Jendalie on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jendalie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jendalie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Closed.
Last edited by Jendalie on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jendalie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseFan21♞ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Major WIP, of course. :) have an exam coming on. D:

:Form:

Name:

(Give this Elkrin a name)

Personality:

(Describe his personality.)

Art/Story/Poem:

(Provide either artwork, stories, or a poem to better illustrate this Elkrin's character.)

* Le sigh* well looks like I don't have time after all. Will try later. :)
Last edited by HorseFan21♞ on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoers wrote:Dang all the homework and activities are driving me CRAZY! >____>
HorseFan21♞

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Name:

Enver

Why This Name:

Enver is a slightly obscure Albanian name which possibly means 'radiant'. Not only is this name fitting because of its meaning, which ties so well into his ability, but also because of its origin. Mbarim's name is also of Albanian origin, and this is quite funny, seeing as their relationship gets off to a rather rocky start.

Why This Elkrin:
You two put me in a predicament this time. There was no option of me not trying out for one of these. I am a lover of tall, graceful herbivores (be they horses or kudus or eland) and have grown up with them featuring heavily in my life.

So my dilemma was: Which one to apply for?

The female was small and wiry and would have made for a lovely mount (not to mention a marvellous story of capture!) but it was the male who really caught my eye, with his simple markings, faint glow and the look of haughty composure in his eyes. I liked him for his simple design and then, upon looking closer, for his description. He is an Elkrin of light. This appealed to me.

Then I saw the funny side.

I knew that I wanted Tess to own an Elkrin (partly because she's my first bearer and needs some lovin', but mostly because an elkrin wouldn't get within a mile of Seth) and when I saw that this Elkrin was one of light, it occurred to me that, while it brings light, Mbarim brings darkness. They're opposites, devoted to the same woman. Instantly, I thought of dogs who hate their owners' mates. I thought to myself: 'Wouldn't it be funny if...'

And my choice was made.

Personality:

Enver is inquisitive, spirited and bold. This is probably what attracted him to Tess in the first place.

It's clear from this elkrin's description that he is curious and lacks timidity. I had that to work with, and that was enough.

Enver, or 'En' as he is fondly known when he behaves well, has always been a little bit too curious for his own good. As a fawn, he was always sticking his nose where it didn't belong, be it too close to the edge of his herd's territory, into caves, or once, memorably, into a nest of stinging insects.

His fawnhood mishaps have made him cautious, but they have also given him a good idea of his own strength. He is bold and brave and more outgoing than most of his kind because he understands how to defend himself, and exactly how far into a mess he can get before he's truly in trouble. He's never lost his fascination with the world around him, and he's never stopped exploring. He's always wanted to leave the confines of the Deep Wood, but has never quite mustered up either the determination or a good justification for doing it.

Tess gave him a reason to leave, but the intention was always there.

Enver is not an ideal companion. He is highly-strung, spirited and very proud. He is easily offended and is not easily won over again once he's received a slight. He is independent and forceful. He likes to get his own way, and tends to assume that he is right. However, he's got a loyal heart, though he doesn't show it, and will defend a chosen friend to the death, if necessary.

En loves the light. He carries it with him all the time so that he will never have to be in darkness. He can dim his light (for reasons of camouflage) but it never goes out completely. If he needed to hide it, he could potentially roll in mud, but he'd never do that. Enver knows that he is beautiful, and would never willingly mar his coat. Instead, he knows how to glide silently through the forest with nary a rustle or whisper, blending so well into the scrub and leaves around him that he looks like nothing more than the sun, shining faintly through a gap in the thick canopy above.

Art/Story/Poem:

[Enver's life in the forest before meeting his first human (and Ancient), told from his perspective.]

Present Tense

Elkrin are nameless.

Or, not nameless. We have names. But our names grow and change as we do, describing who we are and what we do, rather than what we were or what we hope to be. Our names exist only in the present tense.

When I was born, I was Small One, Weak One, Helpless, Twig-Legs. I was Beloved. Treasure. It was a barren time, a fawnless time, and I was a very welcome gift in a shrinking herd. I was protected by my mother, Fierce, Strong, Light, Quick, Beautiful. My father was Ghost, pale and luminescent, never quite close enough for me to see, for a Mother is a dangerous creature to cross, even when one's intentions are good.

I grew steadier on my thin legs, but no less spindly. I also grew curious. I was Bright Eyes, Energy, Brave. My bravery grew, and I became more adventurous. This was welcome at first, and endearing to the Elders. I was Knowledge-Seeker, Persistent, Indefatigable. Then I began to wander, and get into trouble. Sometimes I even needed rescuing. This was far less endearing, for Elders are wary and dislike danger. I became Troublesome, Meddlesome. Sometimes I was even Hard-Skulled, Slow-Wits. I was Other, and they knew it even then.

But, as much as they hated to admit it, I was also becoming Strong. I was Resilient. I was Quick and Clever.

I never lost the hint of Other in me, but I did grow and change. I was no longer Weak or Helpless. I was Fleet-Footed, Silent Hooves, Tall, Proud. My antlers grew in (they itched and were heavy at first, but I grew to like them) and I was no longer Fawn. I was Stag. I was Challenger. Sometimes I was Victor. Mostly I was Loser, for the other stags were stronger and older than I. As I grew older and quicker and smarter, I was Victor more often.

However, I was never truly Herd. I was Wanderer, Adventurer. This named me Danger. It also named me Other. The more I wandered, the more a name grew in the eyes and slicked-back ears of my herd. Even my Mother, now an Elder, couldn't keep the name out of her anxiously-flicking tail. I was Outsider; Different. And the further I trekked, the more my name changed to Lost.

One day, I will no longer be Fleet and Sleek, Strong, Proud, Defender. One day, and one day soon, I will leave this place that was never quite my home, and I will simply be Lost. Perhaps I will be Lost forever. Maybe, one day, I will return. But I will not be Leaf-Eater, Path-Follower, like my frightened herd. I will be Pioneer.

I will be Light-Bringer.

[Each of these little snippets has been written on some sort of small surface, be it a leaf or a piece of parchment or cloth. They are written erratically and on a whim, and have to be short because Tess doesn't have much space to write.]

First Meeting

We were on holiday.
It seems funny, doesn't it, taking a holiday from our heroic endeavours. Even more than that, it seems selfish. I assure you that it was quite necessary. All the talk and discussion and all of that dreadful diplomacy was disillusioning. I was growing tired. Even worse, I was growing bored. Rim saw. He always sees. One night, he woke me with our luggage already packed. We travelled West, without any particular aim. I should have seen it coming, really.
Rim has left me dreadfully adventure-prone, and even our holidays turn exciting.

We're not fond of people, Rim and I.
I have nothing against people, really. I used to distrust them, but they've grown on me. Rim's not a person, though. Not really. Humanity makes him uncomfortable. And the more time I spend with him, the more easily I see the world from his perspective. People are irrational and unpredictable. They smell funny too.
It suits us both just fine to spend time away from people.

We weren't lost.
To be lost, you have to have some idea of where you're going. Rim and I were just wandering through the Woods, enjoying each other's company. Nonetheless, at some point it occurred to us that the trees weren't thinning, no matter how far we walked. I blamed Mbarim, of course, and he, typically, allowed me to in silence. That just irked me more.
No, we weren't lost, per se, but we didn't know exactly where we were, either.

We were not searching for an Elkrin.
We'd heard about them, of course, through folk legend and by word-of-mouth. They'd come up in conversation once or twice, but what with trying to defend the Rune Dragons and save magic in Eldamore as we know it, our interest had never been caught. As we walked through the Deep Woods, talking and whispering and enjoying our privacy,the Elkrin couldn't have been farther from our minds.
We weren't looking for one, but he found us anyway.

"Don't look."
Rim sensed it first. He was in his dragon shape at the time, in which his senses are keenest, and all of his senses are far keener than mine no matter his shape. He looked to the left, and then he bristled. He inched over, as if to protect me. He shouldn't have said anything at all. My curiosity was roused.
I looked.

At first, I saw nothing.
Then, but by bit, he started to take form. A patch of sunlight became his shoulder. A dappled log became his tail. Two thin, bright branches were really his horns, and those golden spots of light shining through the trees were his eyes. He looked at me. I looked at him. Our stares were frank and curious. I was enthralled. Mbarim was not. He flexed his massive shoulder threateningly. The creature flinched.
And suddenly I was looking at nothing again.

[The story of how Tessa earned Enver's trust will be told in a series of haikus.]

Patience

The game starts with fruit
Purposefully left behind
For a friend to find.

Offerings untouched;
No trace of Elkrin is found
Hope begins to fade

Bitemarks in the flesh:
First signs of acceptance and
Desire to be known

Rustle in the shrubs
Never seen, but sometimes heard
His presence is felt

No attention paid
But offerings frequently made
Show good intentions.

Tracks around the camp
Reveal Elkrin's inspections
Unseen and unheard

Fruit is kept close by
Hand of friendship offered out
Tests the sapling bond

Fresh tracks do not form
Human mourns (while Dragon gloats)
Haste's grim consequence

Holiday resumes.
Subdued now, regretful eyes
Do not cease their watch

In the dead of night,
Twilight filters through the trees
Sleek shape shows itself

Meek treaties resume
Trust, like the first shoot of Spring,
Bursts through years of fear

Human bends to pack
Warm breath tickles down her neck
As a calling card

Elkrin does not hide
Walks beside them without shame
A pair grows to three

Forest falls away
Bonded pair embrace the sun
Elkrin clings to shade

Crossroads in the wind
Farewell glance is short and sure
Elkrin joins new friends.

[The story of how Enver was named, told from Rim's perspective.]

Naming

Mbarim was not very good at sharing.

He'd never had to share before. He'd lived alone since before time. He'd gotten whatever he wanted without effort, and as a result, he'd held no desire for any physical item. Matter, he'd learnt, was fleeting and not to be trusted.
Then Quintessa had found him, and his opinions on matter had changed rather abruptly. He kept her close and safe. He coveted her more than any jewel.
And now, for the very first time, he knew jealousy.

It was foolish, really, and he knew it; but it was also undeniable. As he sat across the campfire, watching the twig-legged, fuzzy-shouldered leaf-eater stand over his mate and Summoner, he hated the creature more than he had ever hated anything.

The Rune Dragons had been bad enough. Just when he thought he'd captured her heart and become everything that she needed as much as she had done for him, the first one had come. The one from the Orients. The one which smelled of fish and riverweed. Granted, they were never subject to misfortune in his company, and he wasn't one for talk.

But.

It hadn't stopped at one. He could have accepted one competitor for Quintessa's affection. But then that horrible, happy Red thing had come along. It disturbed him, with its four rolling eyes and that slick blue tongue. And it seemed determined to be his friend, which was even worse. It had become a hobby, then. A collection of sorts. And now she was talking of breeding them and raising them, just like Time's human, and soon there would be hundreds of the things flittering about and getting underfoot. Mbarim was not a social creature. Death doesn't make many friends. He could handle the thought of being one of two, but the head of a brood...

And then there was the herbivore.

Mbarim had known an era where Elkrin were so abundant that he had grown tired of eating them. He was aware of the tales, of their tragic decline, but he could not entirely comprehend his Summoner's (his beloved's) excitement. It was more than her excitement that irked him. It was the herbivore's tenderness and clear love for his human, Mbarim's human; the creature's protective stance when Rim drew near; this is what made him peevish.

He sat in human form, quiet and composed, trying in vain to catch Quintessa's attention. He knew that she liked his human form best (though he didn't know why; humans were spindly and fragile. His dragon form was a much better mate and protector). It was no use. She was entirely absorbed in the herbivore.

He stood abruptly. He'd have to prove his worth to her.
"I'll catch dinner."
"That would be lovely," she answered, without looking his way.

That was that.

He trudged through the forest, trying not to look as petulant as he felt, and longing for the next town. Once an object of scorn, towns had become a sort of refuge for himself and Quintessa. The herbivore couldn't and wouldn't step anywhere near human habitation. In a town, by some paradox, he and his beloved could be alone.

He'd just picked up the scent of one of those little rodenty things that his human so enjoyed when he heard her scream. He snapped into a crouch and was an Ancient again in instants.

He took to the sky, already knowing that he was too far away, that he wouldn't have time. That he would try anyway.

He scanned the tops of the trees desperately. His beloved's fear pulsed in his mind, blurring his judgement. He could feel her, but where was she? Where was camp? The moon was new and shed no light. He could not land without risk of injury, even if he could find her.

His only hope was the campfire. Its light and its smoke would filter through the c - There!

He smelled smoke an instant before he saw the bright sunlight glow piercing the leaves below him. He smelled blood an instant after that. He was already diving through the trees with an ear-splitting shriek when his mind started to process information, and he had landed, gouging deep ruts in the back of a fleeing (fleeing?) pursuer before he registered two very interesting facts:
Firstly, the blood wasn't Quintessa's. She wasn't hurt. She wasn't wounded.
Secondly, the campfire had been extinguished.

Mbarim crouched, ready to attack, but was disappointed. Half of the attackers had fled, and those remaining were in no position to hurt anyone. One crawled away, winded and gasping. The second twitched under Mbarim's claws, and then moved no more. The third was still, his life pooling out around him. Mbarim followed this trail up to the reddened hooves, thin but powerful legs, strong chest and eventually the scarlet-stained horns of the Elkrin, who stood over Quintessa, puffing softly.

Mbarim turned human and bundled the sobbing, shaking woman into his arms. He cradled her until she slept. Only then, under cover of night, did he look to the Elkrin, whose midday glow had faded to twilight once again.

"Thank you -" He hesitated for a moment. The Elkrin watched him with its bright, pale eyes. It knew what it was due, and Mbarim didn't disappoint it. His lip quirked slightly.
" - Enver."

It was done. Enver was named and accepted.

Mbarim thought that he could live with sharing, after all.
Last edited by Verdana on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:05 am, edited 11 times in total.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .sweetypie. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:25 am

Name:

Almus
Almus was named after the Almus tree, for he seems to blend with them perfectly, his spots and blending colors rendering him invisible against the trees.

Personality:

Secluded
Almus is a very contained creature who doesn't like to interact with others, and he rarely even stays with me for long periods of time, unless of course I'm riding him. He enjoys being by himself, it seems like he enjoys the time to himself, and I guess he needs it to clear his head. Almus is quite shy, and he tends to stay away from others, even those of his own species, just so he can avoid conversing with them. Don't get me wrong, he's great at making friends, he just tends to keep his distance and watch first.

Wise
His brilliance and intelligence is so ageless, it's always developing, and he never ceases to surprise me. Almus is very clever, and always has a different way of doing things. He always thoroughly thinks things through before acting, and never "takes his eye of the ball". He's like a sponge, absorbing knowledge from the very air he breathes. I don't know how he does it, but no matter how little he interacts, he seems to always learn something new; every single day.

Serious
I guess this is one of the reasons he's so wise, but Almus is always very serious, and can't really take a joke with a returning laugh. He doesn't really understand humor, and seems to often make an effort to surpass any opportunities for others to joke, as he doesn't see the humor and sees it as a waste of his time. I can see exactly where he's coming from, I think everyone just needs a little humor sometimes. I have gotten him to laugh, but it was only once. I was about to mount up when I wondered if Almus was ticklish. I quickly graced my fingers under his stomach, and I heard a disgruntled giggle come from deep in his throat.

Graceful
Almus is very majestic and light on his feet, he's like a ghost as he drifts through the forest, unseen and unheard. When he walks or runs, it's as if his feet never even touch the ground. When I ride him, it's like we're sitting still, the only clue that I'm moving is the blur of trees on either side of me. No matter how fast he goes, I can almost never hear or feel him move; it is an incredible experience, and I hope everyone in Eldamore is lucky enough to one day experience such an incredible and pleasurable ride through the forests.

Passionate
Almus never really seems to go at anything inadequately, he tries his best at everything he does; once he's committed, he's never giving up, no matter what happens. If he was more social, I would encourage him to invest some of his time in activities such as team efforts and Elkrin-friendly sports, but he wouldn't do well on a team because of his natural urge to exclude himself from others. He's a very experienced runner, as I have said, and I think I might get him into a race or two sometime, just to see how he would compete.

Protective
I am the only one Almus is close to, and he is extremely protective of me, always keeping me out of danger and away from any type of threat. He can get extremely aggressive, and he sometimes attacks people that upset me or harm/attempt to harm me in any way. I cannot restrain him, and it's nearly impossible to stop him, so my enemies better watch out of him; he's as silent as a ninja and extremely lethal, especially with those incredibly sharp antlers. So just keep him in mind when you say or do anything mean.

Art/Story/Poem:
Last edited by .sweetypie. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By Misconceptions and Waterstar2002 [] Feel free to PM me about commissions~
DeviantArt
ImageImageImage
.sweetypie.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SerenWish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Pulling out- I'm going to try for one of the fawns! ^___^
SerenWish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jendalie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Congratulations Verdana!

Your form was amazingly detailed and I loved the stories given at differing perspectives. Beautiful writing! (:
Jendalie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .sweetypie. » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Congrats ^^
By Misconceptions and Waterstar2002 [] Feel free to PM me about commissions~