Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Pallio Dog Adoptables by qwertyo

Artist qwertyo [gallery]
Time spent 7 hours, 10 minutes
Drawing sessions 14
122 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Pallio Dog Adoptables

Postby qwertyo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:02 pm

NOTE 6/16/2022: lol idk who would even be reading this but please know that all info regarding lore/anatomy is pretty outdated! for the most recent info regarding pallios, please refer to here!
---

Staff:
•Owner/Artist: qwertyo

Group Icon:

What's a Pallio Dog?

Pallio Dogs are omnivorous canines with big noses, round ears, and lizard-like tails. From gill like things on their necks, they emit a a gas-like substance, usually called a "cape" due to its shape.

Pallio dogs come in all sorts of colors, and can have any kind of marking on their bodies. The only constant marking between pallio are spots on the back of their ears. They can also be found in almost any biome, resulting in some pallio to look slightly different from place to place.

About the "cape":

The cape is something that grows with the pallio; a newborn will have a few specks at their necks, and an elder can have a cape twice as long as its body. Since the capes expel from "gills", the capes can be blocked. A scarf can make a cape scatter and spark, and very tight bandages can make it disappear.

As the capes are also a representation of their life, when a pallio is near death due to disease/wounds/old age/etc., the cape will shorten. Should the pallio recover, the cape will begin to grow again.

While it is unknown what the cape is exactly, it seems to have gas like properties. In general, the cape has no scent, but certain individuals have been documented with capes that have a smell to them, this is very rare however. The cape can also be captured within a jar. It's common practice for couples to seal a part of their cape within a single jar, signifying their relationship. Cape jars can also be given as gifts, usually as a memento of sorts between friends.

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2419975][img]http://orig03.deviantart.net/4e3d/f/2015/144/8/a/pallioicon_by_solminol-d8ulj8k.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by qwertyo on Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 am, edited 43 times in total.
Who are you wrote:
Sol (or qwertyo!) ☀︎ She/Her ☀︎ PST time

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
☀︎ ♫ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER♫
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pallio Dog Adoptables

Postby qwertyo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Rules of Adopting

• Please don't resell a Pallio. Message qwertyo if you don't want yours anymore.
• Pallio may be gifted or traded only. Please notify qwertyo of any trades/gifts so I can update the archive with current owners.
• You may own up to 4 Pallio. (limit raised 4/14/15)
• Don't steal any designs
• Please be respectful to each other. Don't bash someone because they won a Pallio you wanted. This will result in a adoption ban. Either temporary or permanent.
• Don't ask for a custom. I give them out randomly.
• Don't forget to "Color in" your won Pallio to claim them! (However, if you are unable to use the oekaki, then that's okay. Just tell me so then.)

Q: Can I make my Pallio transgender/agender/etc.? How about homosexual/pansexual/asexual/etc.?

A: It's cool with me. I don't care about how you characterize* your Pallio once you win them. I simply provide you guys with how the pallio looks, anything else is up to the user to decide.

I don't care about the sexuality of your sparkledog. The only time it would matter with me is when I release pallio breeding, but I plan on having an adoption option for same sex couples so no one gets left out here.

Also, when writing personalities for forms, it helps to think about the flaws of the Pallio. Don't make them one dimensional either. This will get you a few bonus points with me, as every good character has a few flaws to them.

*please don't make them racist/sexist/homophobic/etc though. I'm lenient on how you can characterize your pallio, but giving them those qualities will have you insta-banned from pallio adopts and any other species made by me. I don't tolerate those things.

Oh and a note from me:

By default, all pallio dogs are technically genderless, neither feminine or masculine. This is because the concept of "gender" (and femininity/masculinity) is a human thing (it also changes between cultures!) and this is just a sparkly dog species.

Q: What can I do with my Pallio?

A: Main use would likely be for roleplaying. You guys can roleplay them however you want, I don't care. You can do anything with your pallio as long as it's not reselling it or something similar. Gifting is okay as long as the giftee hasn't reached the ownership limit (3) . Please post here or PM me if you're gifting!
Last edited by qwertyo on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:02 am, edited 87 times in total.
Who are you wrote:

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwertyo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Pallio FAQ:

Q: How did you create pallio dogs?

A: One day, I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep. Earlier, I had spent some time studying creature design and looking at people's created species. It made me want to make my own. So when I was laying there, I kept thinking about creating my own species. I recalled seeing one species that always had an accessory on them, I kinda liked the idea but at the same time I wasn't a fan of the species always having to wear something. Then I had a thought "What if... cape dogs?"

I realized capes would cover a lot of the body, and as I said above, I'm not a fan of required accessories. So that's how I came up with the idea of having them be a "mist" sorta thing. It'd be transparent to show marks, I could make them super colorful, I could play around with shapes, and I just thought it'd be interesting. I drew up a concept the next day. Then I realized I didn't like it so I revised it a bit and got this. I wanted a sparkledoggy type species*, so I made them slightly more canine like. I then developed them more from there. Since there was interest in the species, and I had always wanted to create an adoptable species, I thought I might as well make them an actual Thing. Then I created this adoptable thread you see here and have been designing pallio dogs ever since.

*I made them generic sparkledogs because sometimes, I just want to design colorful dogs. So yeah, generic sparkledogs on purpose. Also, everyone here likes sparkledogs, right?

Q: Can my pallio have powers?

A: Sorta a yes and no for this one. Your pallio can't be born with the ability to use any sort of powers (such as ability to breathe fire/power over an element/etc.), but your pallio can learn how to use magic. I consider pallios capable of doing most professions, however they aren't as magically innate* as other species for unknown reasons, so most pallios usually just learn basic useful magic, such as a weak healing spell for small wounds. Pallios that take magic more seriously, however, can learn how to become very proficient at it through lots of studying, practicing, and having good equipment (wands and whatnot).

*In a RPG sense, pallios would be that class with low MP, so they wouldn't be able to cast as much as others.

Q: Can my pallio have a companion/familiar?

A: Yep! While most real world animals can be found in the pallio world, I have created some open species for the world that you may create and use as a companion for you pallio. They are:

- The Bacintus: Anatomy|Colors (a common companion, they behave very much like cats)
- Spriven (recommended for pallios who need to use poison)
- Casqual (the dogs of the pallio world)
- Caprus

and more soon to come!

Q: What kind of profession/hobby can my pallio have?

A: Pretty much anything that you usually see in RPGs: knights, rogues, archers, wizards, and sub-classes within those categories (battlemage, assassin, etc.). There's a ton of them out there and I'd pretty much take anything as long as it's not some kind of game specific class. I recommend looking at this list of D&D classes. Most of them work, but some I might be iffy about (usually the very powerful classes). Pallios are sort of an "all-around" type of race*, but they work best doing things that need good agility, as they're very agile compared to other species.*

*The other species I have planned, the Driddvir and that one squirrely species, basically fill the roles as the heavy-hitter (former) and magic user (latter). Though those species are also capable of doing pretty much any profession too. Yeah, I'm basically going for a weird RPG style species of sorts. It was a thing that just sorta happened.

And I should also note that your pallio doesn't need to do some sort of combat-oriented profession. It'd be a messed up world if we didn't have merchants, blacksmiths, and other NPC type of professions. You can also have multiple professions via backstory (Eg. Pallio is a retired assassin that now owns a bar that also just happens to sell poison).

Q: How do I draw the cape?

A: The easiest method ( and the one I use ) is to draw the cape on a new layer, then lower the opacity to 50%. Almost every pallio I've drawn has a cape made through this way. Oh, and the color should be a very saturated one (like pure #ff0000), this just helps the color stay a bit bright after you tone it down 50%. You can usually see the cape color I used in the palette.

Q: How do the capes work?

A: The capes are made of a gas-like substance, so they take on gas-like properties, such as being intangible. They do also behave like actual capes though. Here's some examples of how capes work in certain situations:

Here's the gill placements, to start with.
- They have 9 gills, but I'm really inconsistent with drawing it that way. So don't be surprised if my pallio art has more/less gills than that or are placed differently.
When the pallio is hanging or laying
When underwater
When two pallio's capes collide (they mix)
When under a blanket

Q: What brush settings do you use for your lines?

A: Image

Do note that smoothing is set at my personal level, which is pretty high to most people. Use whatever smoothing number works for you.

Q: How do you go about designing a pallio?

A: I design according to a set of personal rules:

• Design must be fairly simple. I don't want to design things that are hard for someone to draw. I do this because I've been commissioned to draw complex characters before and they're just, not fun to draw. And from what I've seen, no one likes drawing complicated things.

• No designs based off of copyrighted characters. Because 1. It's uncreative and unoriginal 2. It's weird because sometimes the character's personality/name is not based off the design, so you just have this character that looks like X, but is completely different. 3. Wow, why would you even design a character off an already existing and copyrighted one? I find it disrespectful to the original character. Just don't. Same color scheme is okay, but just, don't copy anything else. (sorry I got a lil' ranty there but dang, I see this all the time and I hate it.)

• Try to vary palettes and markings. (though I know I'm personally failing at this /looks at all the blue pallios)

Q: Why are most Pallio drawn with custom lines?

A: I draw each one individually because I try to vary body types heavily. Some pallio are stocky, some have long tails, some have very round ears. It's things like that that make a character unique, not just markings, colors, and accessories. So each one is special in their own way.

Q: How does pallio fur work?

A: Here's a handy guide I made on the subject. Note those are only the basic/common types! There's some other variations not on that chart, I just forgot to draw them.

Q: Is it pallio, or pallios for the plural?

A: Both are acceptable. You can also just say Pallio dogs if you don't mind typing a space and four letters. And I guess you could also say PDs, though I'm not a fan of abbreviations, since another species may share the same letters, making it confusing.

Q: When will you open up guest artist positions?

A: Right now I'm just doing things solo to challenge myself creatively, plus some other reasons. Maaayybe I'll open GA positions sometime soon though, it'd be nice to have some designs by someone who thinks differently than me.

If you have a question, post it! I'll answer it and put it here for others to know.
Last edited by qwertyo on Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Who are you wrote:

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwertyo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Okay I don't think I have anything else to add, so posting is now open
Who are you wrote:

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mal du pays » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:15 pm

marking! ♡ these are a wonderful idea!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(The figure opens its mouth...)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael (Mal) - He/they/it - adult
the world's most normal petscop enjoyer
I like Deltarune, drawing, warrior cats, and sonic the hedgehog.
werm time

DeerKiri
click my magistream guys pease

Kalons - Storkies
My OCs - My Kalons - Storkies Archive - Stars Archive
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(You plead for it to stop.)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mal du pays

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwertyo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 am

Alrighty, just added 2 more pallio designs earlier.

Bumping this up for some exposure. I created these adoptables at 9:00 pm, so while it was a kinda reasonable time for where I lived, it was already in the AMs for everybody else not on the west coast. So basically everyone was asleep when I made these, haha.
Who are you wrote:

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yenneii » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Mark <33 these are superb!
yenneii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nimrod. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:48 pm

I absolutely adore these! I will for sure keep a code eye on this wonderful species <3
Image Image
Image Image
nimrod.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SplashofOrangeJuice » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:24 pm