Gymnastics Chat V.1

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Re: Gymnastics help

Postby unoplayer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:16 am

Hi there! I heard you needed some help.
Can you do a back-hand spring by yourself? If not you have to learn to do that, most important!
Please reply to this one and awser me, I might like text back tomorow or something bai
☆ Female☆
☆ She/Her ☆
☆ New Zealand ☆
☆Trades open ☆
unoplayer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brokenwisdom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:02 am

Nope! For me at least, a standing back handspring is easier than a round off back handspring, because you don't have to connect it, but I have neither. I would love to hear any tips for either one though, anything is helpful :)
brokenwisdom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:14 pm

The Wolf In Me wrote:mods, go ahead and tell me to delete it, or you can lock it yourself if you think it shouldnt be here, but i'm going to write it anyways. :)

and if you do want to help, please read it all the way through, that would be best for you to understand it. :) thanks!

so i don't have any social media sites that can help me, i do have Pinterest and Instagram though, but neither of them do anything. so i was wondering if some fellow Chickensmoothians could help me? all i got on yahoo answers was "Just don't be scared!" so it sounds dumb to post it here, but this is literally my last resort. maybe fate will be on my side with one of you?? YouTube sucks at this kind of stuff. here's my question:

I really really want to get my roundoff back handspring, and for all the gymnasts or cheerleaders out there that do CS, maybe you could help me? here's all the issues with my backhandspring. (i think....)

so i can do a backbend, and i can almost do a kickover, and when i try to do by roundoff back handspring it works out awesome, but my coach is spotting me. Which means i'm doing something wrong. i tried it on the incline, and she spotted me lighter, but i'm still too scared to do it by myself. But don't give me anything like "just do it" or "get over the fear" or something like that, i'm not scared of doing it, i just understand the risks.

I am not scared of doing a backhandspring, i just understand that if my arms don't hold me up, i would snap my neck and be paralyzed for the rest of my life. no more gymnastics.

i do go to this trampoline park often, so i could do it there. But i do still think i could get hurt, and what am i supposed to do, call my teacher and ask her to come over to the trampoline park? uh... NO.

if someone could give tips that would be great, and thanks for listening to my long crazy talk. XD i have a performance (no not a competition) coming up and i really want to get it. Any tips would be great!!

I basically embarrassed myself talking about gymnastics on Chicken Smoothie, but thats alright :lol:

Talk to your coach. If they're spotting you for a reason, they're the best one to tell you why.

You can ask for private lessons (if you parents can pay for a couple) so that you can get more alone time with your coach to just work on your back handspring and get more specific help on what you need to fix.

It's great that you're so aware of the dangers of gymnastics and that you are responsible about not practicing alone! But I do think you are being a bit paranoid. I know a couple girls (out of a HUGE school) who broke their arm (and most of them were practicing without a spotter), but I don't know anyone who broke their neck. The chances of that happening, especially as you're getting the proper practice and training, are really low. Basically, the best way to get over a fear... is to face it.

So practice, practice, practice, and listen to your coach. Doing a back handspring without a spotter will come. Don't force it, but don't let your fear hold you back either. =)
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Gymnastics Chat V.1

Postby sapiosexual » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:28 am

does anyone have any tips on getting over the fear of setting up when going into a back tuck? for some reason, straight out of my roundoff backhandspring i go straight into the back tuck without setting. same goes for my flyaway on bars- my toes nearly hit the bar when i go for my tuck because im pulling in so much. any advice?
sapiosexual

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brokenwisdom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:45 am

@WastedSpace, thanks! any tips for the physical part, like how to get better at my backhandspring?

gay wrote:
    does anyone have any tips on getting over the fear of setting up when going into a back tuck? for some reason, straight out of my roundoff backhandspring i go straight into the back tuck without setting. same goes for my flyaway on bars- my toes nearly hit the bar when i go for my tuck because im pulling in so much. any advice?

i might not know too much about backhandsprings, but i have some tips on backtucks and flyaways. :)

setting in a back tuck is definitely scary, because you feel like you can't use enough power. think of it as sitting in a chair. stay in your chair position. think of it as a backhandspring. As for not hitting your feet on the bar in a flyaway, point your toes. also, if you can get one, a spot is helpful. Swing really hard when you do it and you should land farther away from the bar.

Hope this helps! :)
brokenwisdom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brokenwisdom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 am

oh another thing, any tips for a kickover? (yeah level 4 right over here, no judging) i can do it on an incline, and a stack, and i can do it on a basically three inch stack, but then boom. Once i go down to the floor i look like a baby elephant trying to climb over a fence. i've tried it against a wall, with a spotter, on an incline. i do it perfectly on all of those, and then once i get down to the floor, by kickover-consience says "NOPE." can't even do it on the trampoline. any tips?

i know its not in my head, because i want it so bad and i try REALLY hard when i do it. i'm not scared of it either.
brokenwisdom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:01 pm

The Wolf In Me wrote:oh another thing, any tips for a kickover? (yeah level 4 right over here, no judging) i can do it on an incline, and a stack, and i can do it on a basically three inch stack, but then boom. Once i go down to the floor i look like a baby elephant trying to climb over a fence. i've tried it against a wall, with a spotter, on an incline. i do it perfectly on all of those, and then once i get down to the floor, by kickover-consience says "NOPE." can't even do it on the trampoline. any tips?

i know its not in my head, because i want it so bad and i try REALLY hard when i do it. i'm not scared of it either.

My advice:

Kickovers seem like they are only leg-related— but executing one is more than just kicking over. When you're in the bridge, push hard off the ground with your legs, and use your chest and arm muscles to continue pushing through the motion. When I was learning mine, I found that giving a huge push-off with my leg and trying to almost push the ground away from me with my arms once I had one leg high in the air was the most successful technique for learning one.
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brokenwisdom » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:43 am

My advice:

Kickovers seem like they are only leg-related— but executing one is more than just kicking over. When you're in the bridge, push hard off the ground with your legs, and use your chest and arm muscles to continue pushing through the motion. When I was learning mine, I found that giving a huge push-off with my leg and trying to almost push the ground away from me with my arms once I had one leg high in the air was the most successful technique for learning one.

Thanks! This really helped :)
brokenwisdom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby XDreamerX » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Wolf In my Heart wrote:mods, go ahead and tell me to delete it, or you can lock it yourself if you think it shouldnt be here, but i'm going to write it anyways. :)

and if you do want to help, please read it all the way through, that would be best for you to understand it. :) thanks!

so i don't have any social media sites that can help me, i do have Pinterest and Instagram though, but neither of them do anything. so i was wondering if some fellow Chickensmoothians could help me? all i got on yahoo answers was "Just don't be scared!" so it sounds dumb to post it here, but this is literally my last resort. maybe fate will be on my side with one of you?? YouTube sucks at this kind of stuff. here's my question:

I really really want to get my roundoff back handspring, and for all the gymnasts or cheerleaders out there that do CS, maybe you could help me? here's all the issues with my backhandspring. (i think....)

so i can do a backbend, and i can almost do a kickover, and when i try to do by roundoff back handspring it works out awesome, but my coach is spotting me. Which means i'm doing something wrong. i tried it on the incline, and she spotted me lighter, but i'm still too scared to do it by myself. But don't give me anything like "just do it" or "get over the fear" or something like that, i'm not scared of doing it, i just understand the risks.

I am not scared of doing a backhandspring, i just understand that if my arms don't hold me up, i would snap my neck and be paralyzed for the rest of my life. no more gymnastics.

i do go to this trampoline park often, so i could do it there. But i do still think i could get hurt, and what am i supposed to do, call my teacher and ask her to come over to the trampoline park? uh... NO.

if someone could give tips that would be great, and thanks for listening to my long crazy talk. XD i have a performance (no not a competition) coming up and i really want to get it. Any tips would be great!!

I basically embarrassed myself talking about gymnastics on Chicken Smoothie, but thats alright :lol:

I think that pretty much everyone has the issue of being afraid to do a certain skill at one point. I personally was pretty dang scared to try my backhand by myself for a while. To overcome my fear, I just had my coach spot me lighter and lighter until I was confident that I could try it by myself. But, when I tried it by myself, the first few times I just had her keep her hand near me so that If I did mess up, I wouldn't hurt myself. Another thing I did is when I did back walkovers, I slowly started slightly jumping into them. And as for the fear of your arms giving out and you hurting yourself, that's silly! For the longest time, my arms were super bent in my backhands, which did cause my arms to kind of collapse quite a few times, but I never got hurt! All that happens is you either land on your knees, or just slump to the ground. It really never hurts. Just try your hardest and eventually you'll get it! (I know you posted this a while ago and you might already have it but ehh.)
I don't use this account so Merry Christmas
Hello, I'm XDreamerX.
XDreamerX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby XDreamerX » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:16 pm

CookieRainAJ wrote:Hi there! I heard you needed some help.
Can you do a back-hand spring by yourself? If not you have to learn to do that, most important!
Please reply to this one and awser me, I might like text back tomorow or something bai

I personally don't think it's most important, but it is pretty important as it is the skill you mainly first get where you really leave the ground and have to hold yourself up after your hands hit the ground. And it is important in a lot of tumbling passes. If you mess up a back handspring, it usually throws off the entire pass.
I don't use this account so Merry Christmas
Hello, I'm XDreamerX.
XDreamerX

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me