Fursuit Thread V2 OPEN (New Poll)

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

What are you doing for Halloweeen

Nothing
27%
Party
15%
Trick-or-Treat
34%
Fursuiting
24%

Total votes : 1321

Re: Fursuit Thread V2 OPEN (New Poll)

Postby Violently Violet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Okay, I went to Walmart and spent $15 on upholstery foam. I was wrong when I said I wouldn't ever be able to get it, whoops. I just reallllyyy didn't want to have to spend that, because in my situation $15 is A LOT of money. But it was worth it and now I'm excited to make the head. I also decided to buy a styrofoam mannequin head. I was just scared to take that leap from a little paper mache craft to an actual fursuit project. Because now I'm nervous that I'll mess it up and waste my resources haha. Anyway, I have a few more questions, thanks for all the help by the way!

1. I have a red ski mask, it's a bit thicker than a balaclava, but will it work?

2. Any suggested material for making the teeth, tongue, and gums? I think I have some clay, would that be too heavy for a foam head, though?

Thank you for helping this furry get started! :D
Violently Violet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Larkspur1678 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Violently Violet wrote:Okay, I went to Walmart and spent $15 on upholstery foam. I was wrong when I said I wouldn't ever be able to get it, whoops. I just reallllyyy didn't want to have to spend that, because in my situation $15 is A LOT of money. But it was worth it and now I'm excited to make the head. I also decided to buy a styrofoam mannequin head. I was just scared to take that leap from a little paper mache craft to an actual fursuit project. Because now I'm nervous that I'll mess it up and waste my resources haha. Anyway, I have a few more questions, thanks for all the help by the way!

1. I have a red ski mask, it's a bit thicker than a balaclava, but will it work?

2. Any suggested material for making the teeth, tongue, and gums? I think I have some clay, would that be too heavy for a foam head, though?

Unfortunately not. Ski masks keep you warm, you need a mask that keeps you cool. You can get one from amazon for under $10.

Sculpey is a popular and inexpensive choice for hard teeth. I've used it myself before, you just shape it and bake it, and it comes in every color you can think of. A package costs $2-$3 usually. For tongue and gums, you can use either minky fabric or anti-pill fleece. You can also use fleece or vinyl for teeth if you want them soft, you just sew 2 triangles together and add a bit of polyfill.

Adult • She/they
Toyhouse

Icon by MRLFRK on FA
Animation by DarkMoonRay on Twitter
Larkspur1678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Goodness gracious, making digi legs is hard. I made the knees only to realize they were much too small to get the illusion I'm going for, so I thought I could use them for the calves instead.

I've looked at so many references and help forums that it makes my head spin. I'm not sure how to go about actually getting the illusion of digi legs. Should I blow up my thighs and butt as well? Heh, that sounded strange, but I'm serious. How would I go about that?

This is the look I'm going for, super exaggerated:
(Not my suit, obviously. I'm not sure who's it is, but it's definitely one of my favorite fursuits of all time)
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Silver Pandorica wrote:Goodness gracious, making digi legs is hard. I made the knees only to realize they were much too small to get the illusion I'm going for, so I thought I could use them for the calves instead.

I've looked at so many references and help forums that it makes my head spin. I'm not sure how to go about actually getting the illusion of digi legs. Should I blow up my thighs and butt as well? Heh, that sounded strange, but I'm serious. How would I go about that?

(Not my suit, obviously. I'm not sure who's it is, but it's definitely one of my favorite fursuits of all time)

I've seen digi legs like that made with big "pillows" of fabric stuffed with polyfill. You could make some padding that goes from one knee, over your rear, and then down to the other knee to get the effect you're looking for. I recommend looking for some videos on YouTube, there's tons of tutorials.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Violently Violet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Larkspur1678 wrote:
Violently Violet wrote:Okay, I went to Walmart and spent $15 on upholstery foam. I was wrong when I said I wouldn't ever be able to get it, whoops. I just reallllyyy didn't want to have to spend that, because in my situation $15 is A LOT of money. But it was worth it and now I'm excited to make the head. I also decided to buy a styrofoam mannequin head. I was just scared to take that leap from a little paper mache craft to an actual fursuit project. Because now I'm nervous that I'll mess it up and waste my resources haha. Anyway, I have a few more questions, thanks for all the help by the way!

Unfortunately not. Ski masks keep you warm, you need a mask that keeps you cool. You can get one from amazon for under $10.

Sculpey is a popular and inexpensive choice for hard teeth. I've used it myself before, you just shape it and bake it, and it comes in every color you can think of. A package costs $2-$3 usually. For tongue and gums, you can use either minky fabric or anti-pill fleece. You can also use fleece or vinyl for teeth if you want them soft, you just sew 2 triangles together and add a bit of polyfill.

Okay, thanks! :D
Violently Violet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Queenie! wrote:
Silver Pandorica wrote:Goodness gracious, making digi legs is hard. I made the knees only to realize they were much too small to get the illusion I'm going for, so I thought I could use them for the calves instead.

I've seen digi legs like that made with big "pillows" of fabric stuffed with polyfill. You could make some padding that goes from one knee, over your rear, and then down to the other knee to get the effect you're looking for. I recommend looking for some videos on YouTube, there's tons of tutorials.

Oh, okay! Do you mean like, the padding goes from the back of my knee, up and over/across my behind, and then down to the other back of my knee? And that's with the other padding? I have pictures of what I have so far padding-wise, but it doesn't look quite right:
https://sta.sh/2owcp2xxcyn?edit=1
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Silver Pandorica wrote:
Queenie! wrote:

Oh, okay! Do you mean like, the padding goes from the back of my knee, up and over/across my behind, and then down to the other back of my knee? And that's with the other padding? I have pictures of what I have so far padding-wise, but it doesn't look quite right:
https://sta.sh/2owcp2xxcyn?edit=1

With pillow padding, you would have the rear padding go from the side of the knee, over the rear, then over to the other side knee. And you would have separate padding for the front of the thigh. You could connect them all together, but there would be less flexibility. I'm trying to find a tutorial for it but being on mobile is a pain.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Ah okay! I found a really good tutorial for slim digi legs, but they're with foam. I may try that, but I'm not sure yet XD
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Silver Pandorica wrote:Ah okay! I found a really good tutorial for slim digi legs, but they're with foam. I may try that, but I'm not sure yet XD

You could always use the slim digi legs as a base and build off of that until you're happy with it.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:03 pm

True, true! Thanks for all your help, by the way ^•^ I think the only way for me to truly figure it out is to just go for it, yeah? Guess I'll order that foam and try my best X3
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes