Something tells me this isn't right...

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Global Warming is causing earthquakes?

IN YOUR FACE! GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL!
15%
Yes, of course!
10%
Meh.
21%
No, its a stupid idea!
23%
GLOBAL WARMING ISN'T EVEN REAL, MORON!
10%
Um...wow.
21%

Total votes : 39

Re: Something tells me this isn't right...

Postby ghostboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

That's just a great amount of people, not all. It's just people trying to make money.
ghostboy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lupine Moon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:34 pm

I'd kind of like to hear where you are getting your info from, because I haven't heard anything about Global Warming/climate change causing earthquakes anywhere :3

Or I could get into how this being an El Nino year could be slightly effecting earthquake schedules like Chile's. But it's all pure theory, just like Global Warming. People arn't machines who know everything, they're just people trying to figure out one of the most complex systems. And guys...it'd be nice if you'd actually look up what Global Warming is before posting, "But it's SO cold here!" That's not what Global Warming is. Period. :/
(And this coming from me, I am neutral on the Global Warming subject. It's good to know both sides before contradicting it ;) )
Every mile, a memory
Every song, another scene
Like some old movie going back in time, you and me♫
-In Loving Memory Of Chloe-
My Black Lab Baby

ImageImage

<3 It's people like you that make me love life iBrevity...I'll never forget your kindness <3
Lupine Moon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabbithaver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Yeah. Too bad they're giving a bunch of people heart attacks.

There's earthquakes in other places, too. (And part of not knowing about Global Warming is the fun of calling it a fake, but that's not really my opinion xD I know about Global Warming)

call me rabbit || they/them
adult player || hedgehog enjoyer

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

my mom || my homie || my buddy
trade thread || dreamies || dragon cave
fursona || shadow playlist || sonic fans
rabbithaver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlyingTiger » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm

I believe in Climate Change, but I don't see how it could cause earthquakes (though heat makes things expand.)

And 'Global Warming' has been changed to climate change, because on the first unseasonably cold day, everyone who doubts it is all like, "Those environmentalist IDIOTS! Global warming, what are they talking about?! There's like, snow... and stuff."

Climate change is the steady increase in temperature, over the whole earth (not your city/state/country) over a long period of time (not one snowy winter.) Yes, maybe your town got a couple extra inches this year. Maybe, if you're in the Northeastern USA, you got a few more feet of snow that what you are used to. That doesn't mean anything. If it gets above 32 F for too long in any area that's almost always covered in snow, we're gonna have problems. I did a project on this last year. People in helicopters have found the carcasses of polar bears in the water. Cause of death? Drowning. Because there was no ice for miles for them to climb onto and take a break.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, that's just my perspective on things.

I have my mother’s dreams,
I have my father’s eyes.
You can’t take that from me.
Just go ahead and try.
The Crescent City sleeps
while giants in the sky
preparing to unleash,
let loose a mighty cry.
Can nobody save us?
Will anyone try?
Pyre is burning,
the severance in tight.
And all along, they’re saying:
Help is on the way
(they said, they said)
Help is on the way.
They never came.
"Help is on the Way" Rise Against
FlyingTiger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:07 pm

You didn't offend me, we just have slightly different opinions.
ghostboy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leo9 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Please don't kill me, but I wanted to post all possibilities.

BEWARE! TEXT WALL.

Global warming is caused by the thinning of the atmosphere, we think, but It might not be by humans. Of course, most agree it IS us. Carbon Dioxide is a green house gas, once in the air it reacts with other molecules in the atmosphere to, basically, dissolves it. The theory is that carbon dioxide we put into the air with cars, power plants, ect, is causing global warming. The atmosphere regularly blocks most of the suns rays. With a good chunk of it gone, it gets hotter. Of course, this confuses most, including me. I just got back from a trip in the snow, and It was FRIKIN COLD.

The other theory is that this is just a natural cycle the earth goes through. There is evidence that this has happened before, particularly before the age of the dinosaurs. Maybe, like then, some sort of, i don't know, ice is melting that holds massive amounts of carbon dioxide or another green house gas.

Either way, the world IS warming. Whether we caused it or not, climate change is real. Thats my opinion. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

EDIT: oops, forgot. as far as I know, earthquakes are caused by geothermal activity and or plate tectonics, not temperature change. It would be ridiculous , in my opinion, to claim to two are related. Of course, I may be wrong.
There is no signature here. Only a box.
Leo9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Arrow. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:05 pm

I don't know whether or not earthquakes could even be caused by changes in weather, but either way I'm not a scientist nor do I claim to be one. Though, I'd assume earthquakes are not caused by global warming/climate change. I wouldn't be surprised if a news reporter was jumping to their own conclusions and the rest jumped on the bandwagon.

I decided to look this up quick and found a link:
http://climateaudit.org/2008/06/18/eart ... l-warming/
It explains part of the reasoning why people are linking earthquakes and global warming/climate change if you choose to read it.
.Arrow.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toadfoal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Huh, I actually haven't heard anything about global warming causing earthquakes. I kind of doubt that has anything to do with it.
I do believe that the climate is changing, no one can deny that (any more than they can deny evolution, but they will, naturally). I can't say if I think that means the earth is going to heat up to the point that we all die though. I mean, if you look back the climate always does this, every few (hundred? I can't remember the exact number) thousand years the climate has some drastic "zing!" moment. Maybe all the polution we've created is making this change a little more out of proportion, who honestly knows everything anyway?

But don't listen to me. I like adding my opinion because I find these topics facinating. :mrgreen:
Toadfoal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alhelí » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Climate change. -shrug-

I don't trust anyone, especially the media. :U

who wants to be right as rain?
it's better when something is wrong
you get excitement in your bones
and everything you do is a game

dAtumblrpottermore

Alhelí

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wild~ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 am

Luckily I remember some topics on earthquakes XD : Chile is located on the South American Plate and Nazca Plate, which are constantly moving, it's a very active area if you consider that they've had two high magnitude (on the Richter Scale) earthquakes in the past 50 years. Haiti is located on, or near, a transform plate boundary I believe. XD

Back on topic: I don't actually remember ever hearing that earthquakes being caused by Global Warming. It's interesting to think that since climate change, I believe, doesn't affect the plates in any way, but I'd have to research it in a little more depth to really prove my thought accurately. ^-^;
══════════════════════════════

🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃
══════════════════════════════════════

Economist in training | Undergrad student | she/her
18+ | Hockey fanatic | PMs are always open!

Current Dreamies ♥ : x x x x
══════════════════════════════════════
🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃
wild~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me