Lets talk about houseplants!

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

What type of houseplant do you prefer?

Cacti / Succulents
52%
Big & Tall Tropical
6%
Big & Fat Tropical
6%
Hanging / Vining plants
27%
Itty Bitty plants
9%

Total votes : 33

Lets talk about houseplants!

Postby hollythecollie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 am

Lets Talk About Houseplants!

Hello and welcome! Here you can talk about about your favorite plant species, your houseplant wish-list, your collection, give and ask for care advice, talk about plants you've had a hard time with & plants you have great experience with, and more!

*Please check out the "Somethings Wrong With My Plant" topic below before just posting "My plant is dying, what am I doing wrong?"*

Last edited by hollythecollie on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Best Houseplants For Beginners

Postby hollythecollie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

Best Houseplants For Beginners

Interested in houseplants but you don't where to start? Maybe you convinced yourself that you have a black thumb and can't keep anything alive? Don't worry, the plants on this list are easy going and for you!

While each plant may have a little different care routine (Sansevieria are succulents and should not be watered frequently, Peace Lillies LOVE water and will let you know when to water as it will droop all of its leaves) in general these plants are great for the beginner who is still learning! These plants will forgive you if you neglect them, unlike a Calathea which needs lots of specific care or it will brown quickly. Everyone's experience is different, so don't get discouraged if you kill one!

The color of the leaves can effect tolerability of light conditions as well. While a solid green Philodendron will do fine in low light, a variegated version like a Brazil Philodendron (light and dark green swirled) may become leggy and put out smaller leaves. In general the lighter green the leaf, the more light it will need.

Low Light Houseplants
Remember low light does not equal no light! Low light usually is a North or East facing window, or any plant that is pulled several feet back from a window or source of light. All of these plants will tolerate low light, but will be much happier and will grow faster in a medium light setting.

Aglaonema - Chinese Evergreen
Bromeliad
Epipremnum aureum - Pothos
Hedera Helix- English Ivy
Ferns
Maranta leuconeura - Prayer Plant
Phaleonopsis - Orchids
Philodendron hederaceum - Heartleaf Philodendron
Spathiphyllum - Peace Lilly
Sansevieria trifasciata - Snake Plant
Zamioculcas zamiifolia - ZZ Plant

Medium Light Houseplants
These houseplants do great in well lit areas, such as an unobstructed East window, or a South & West facing window with a curtain in front. South and West facing windows are usually very intense, and may burn your plant, so it is recommended to pull the plant back from the window by a few feet.

Aeschynanthus radicans - Lipstick plant
Anthurium
Asplenium nidus - Birds Nest Fern
Chlorophytum comosum - Spider Plant
Chamadorea elegans - Parlor Palm
Dieffenbachia - Dumb Cane
Dracaena Deremensis - Many varieties
Dracaena marginata - Madagascar Dragon Tree Plant
Dracaena fragrans massangeana - Corn Plant
Ficus elastica - Rubber Tree
Ficus Lyrata - Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree
Pachira aquatica - Money Tree
Peperomia - Many Varieties
Schlumbergera bridgesii - Christmas Cactus
Syngonium podophyllum - Arrowhead Plant
Schefflera arboricola - Umbrella Tree
Monstera deliciosa - Split Leaf Philodendron / Swiss Cheese Plant
FITTONIA
Tradescantia zebrina - Wandering Jew

High Light Houseplants
High light conditions when talking about houseplants means there’s nothing blocking the sun from reaching your plant; no curtains, no shades, no trees, just that full sunshine! Most houseplants will not tolerate bright direct sun and will burn quickly, but not these guys!

Aloe Vera
Beaucarnea recurvata - Ponytail Palm
Crassula ovata - Jade Plant
Cacti
Succulents
Strelitzia - Bird of Paradise
Hoya Carnosa
Yucca
Last edited by hollythecollie on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Houseplant Myths

Postby hollythecollie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:37 am

Houseplant Myths

Watering your houseplant daily
HUGE NO NO! This is the most common mistake new plant owners make! Houseplants don’t want or need constantly soggy soil (also called "wet feet"). Overwatering will cause plants to develop root rot. How do I know when my plant needs water then? You check the soil before watering. Typically you should wait for the first 1-2 inches of soil to dry, which is about to your 2nd knuckle.

Using anything as a planter
While you might mean well by recycling an old candle or jar to use as a planter, you could be sentencing your houseplant to a watery death. Having a planter with a drainage hole is essential for a healthy plant. Continuing on with the "wet feet" statement from above, a pot with no hole means your plant will be standing in water for days after a watering, causing root rot. While you can provide a bottom drainage layer of rocks to act as a buffer, many plant experts dismiss this.
The best way to avoid the hassle is to put the plant in a nursery pot (aka a pot with drainage holes) and place that inside the container with no hole. You can also drill your own holes if your patient enough!

I should replant my houseplant into a much larger pot to make my plant grow bigger!
Another no no! In a too-large pot, soil dries slowly, making your plant more susceptible to root rot. When a plant is too large for its pot, it also has a tendency to tip over. In a too-small pot, soil dries so quickly that you'll be challenged to water frequently enough. Your plant could become root-bound and exhibit stunted growth.

Ideally, place a plant into a pot that's the same size it's growing in. When transplanting because a plant has outgrown its current pot, shift to a pot 2-4 inches larger in diameter. Select the larger size pot for plants that grow quickly. For slow growers, a pot that's 1-2 inches larger works well. Link.

Plants need lots of sun to grow, therefor I should place my houseplant in the sunniest spot I can find!
Most houseplants are "houseplants" for a reason. They can grow in shady conditions! While there are the few exceptions, most houseplants cannot handle intense "direct" sun. The leaves will scorch and burn! You'll know if your plant has gotten sunburned when the leaves develop brown crispy spots or look bleached.
The best lighting for your plant is a East or West facing window, as those directions get lots of sun without it being too intense. South is best for your sun loving plants, North never receives direct sunlight, so it is alright for low light plants during the summer, but you might want to consider moving them during the winter as the lighting becomes too weak to provide for your plants.

Succulents and Cacti are great beginner plants, as you never need to water them!
Succulents and Cacti need LOTS of sun. Unfortunately when starting out beginners hear that they are great easy care, can't kill, bedroom decor and place them in a dimly lit location. They are also advertised as "great for terrariums and dish gardens!", which is another big no no as terrariums do not have drainage holes and these are the easiest houseplants to overwater.

Succulents - are very picky, they need lots (and some) direct sun, but they also can burn. You must water them right when the soil is completely dry and when the leaves look puckered, but you can't wait too long to water or the leaves will drop off. Succulents tend to get leggy quickly, so you will eventually have to cut the entire head off the plant and reroot it, which is a lengthy process and has the possibility to not even root! Lots of plant owners (myself included) have had terrible luck with succulents, but can take care of almost any other plant! If someone kills a succulent they may get discouraged and think they have a black thumb and won't want to try any other plant in fear that they'll kill that one as well, when it may have been the succulent that was the problem! Which is why I wouldn't recommend them to beginners.

Cacti - More relaxed than succulents. They need more light than succulents do. We're talking full direct sun all day if possible, at the very least 4 hours a day. Water when the soil is dry, but they won't mind dry spells unlike succulents. They seem to be more forgiving if overwatered a bit, do not test fate though, just wait until the soil is completely dry! In my experience the towering cacti are the easiest. Barrel or round shaped cacti are more susceptible to overwatering. Cacti grow faster than you think, it all depends on how often you water. Almost all of my cacti have doubled their size in just 1 year!

Watering your Orchid with Ice Cubes
Orchids are epiphytes (a plant that grows on another plant but is not parasitic, and derives its moisture and nutrients from the air, rain, water or from debris accumulating around it.) that come from tropical areas of Southeast Asia. The cold icy water can damage the roots. The ice cube method is advertised as a way to not overwater, but overwatering a plant does not mean you dumped tons of lots of water on it, overwatering actually means consistently giving a plant water when it's already wet. You could in fact overwater your orchid with ice cubes if you are placing ice cubes on the plant every single day. On top of it, the ice cubes are ineffective as they have the possibility of not wetting all the roots!
The proper way to water an orchid is to wait until the roots are dry (which you should be able to see as orchids SHOULD NEVER be planted in soil, treat them like air plants!!) When dry place the roots in a bowl full of water and let them soak for 10-30 minutes. Then remove and boom! You watered your orchid!

Some houseplants can survive in zero sunlight! AKA Windowless bathrooms
Let’s start off with perhaps the most frustrating piece of advice I see too often. That some plants can survive with zero light. While it’s true that some houseplants, such as a snake plant or ZZ plant, fare better than most house plants in low-light conditions, I challenge you to find any plant that has fully thrived in a zero-light environment. If you want a healthy plant that continually and quickly produces new growth, you’re going to need a reliable source of light.

Misting Your Plants Will Increase The Humidity
It's just ineffective. Misting once or twice a day just isn't enough to bring up the humidity if the plants are placed in a breezy, sunny, or large area. The water will evaporate quickly and only provides maybe 15 minutes (if even that) of humidity. Some plants don't like to be misted as well, and it can promote fungal problems like leaf spot. If you need to increase the humidity, try clumping your plants together, using pebble trays, running a little water fountain, or just get a humidifier!
Misting isn't all bad, as it removes dust off the leaves and keeps away spider mites, which love dry plants.

credit to plant image
Last edited by hollythecollie on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

General Houseplant Care Guide

Postby hollythecollie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 pm

General Houseplant Care Guide

When taking care of a houseplant, there are 6 main care factors you should know:
Water, Light, Humidity, Temperature, Soil, and Fertilizer.

Secondary factors include when to repot, what kind of pot to use, water pH & chemicals in your tap water, pruning, how to spot and treat pests, your hardiness zone, dormancy care

First you need to know what kind of plant you own, so you know how to care for it properly.
Each plant will have it's own scientific name, aka Genus species. They will also have a common nickname/s.

EX: Epipremnum aureum = Pothos = Devil's Ivy

Call them whatever you like, there's no correct way! But knowing the scientific name will come in handy when looking for specific care and facts such as where the plant originated from, when was it discovered, is it poisonous etc.

WATER

HUMIDITY

LIGHT

TEMPERATURE

SOIL

FERTILIZER

REPOTTING

TYPES OF CONTAINERS/POTS

PRUNING

PESTS AND DISEASES

USDA PLANT HARDINESS ZONE MAP
https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

DO NOT POST
Last edited by hollythecollie on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Poisonous Houseplants & Pet Friendly Plants

Postby hollythecollie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Poisonous Houseplants & Pet Friendly Plants

Some of the most common indoor plants may be toxic and can be dangerous to small children, elderly people, and curious pets if not handled properly.
It doesn’t automatically mean you can’t have these plants in your home, but that you should place them out of reach of vulnerable loved ones if you believe they are apt to touch or consume them.
(Just want to clarify It's fine to touch the plant itself, it's the toxic sap inside that causes the problems. brushing against or petting your plant won't harm you.)

If you are unsure how your pet will behave around a houseplant, I recommend starting out with pet friendly plants. If they pay no mind, don't be afraid to collect poisonous ones. In my personal experience, I own 5 cats and none of them pay any attention to my plants, except for my Dracaena marginata, which has grass shaped leaves that dangle which I assume entices them. I just keep that species out of reach, and I have no further problems.
Some people suggest that if your pet nibbles on your plants you should get pet grass, but I disagree as it will encourage the nibbling behavior.

Non-Toxic plants
Click the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "non poisonous" check mark,
and it will give you a nice list (with photos) of pet friendly houseplants!

Plant Wizard

ASPCA list of toxic/non toxic plants
These are extensive, but helpful lists. If you're worried about a specific plant, you can do CTRL+f and type in the species you're looking for.
ASPCA list of toxic and non-toxic plants FOR DOGS
ASPCA list of toxic and non-toxic plants FOR CATS

Common Poisonous Houseplants
Sago palm
Peace lillies
Pothos
Philodendron
Sansevieria
Bird of Paradise
Dieffenbachia
Asparagus Fern
English Ivy

Common Pet Friendly Houseplants
Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera)
African violet (Saintpaulia)
Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)
Last edited by hollythecollie on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Useful Websites for Species Specific Care & Plant

Postby hollythecollie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:18 am

Useful Websites for Species Specific Care & Plant ID Help

houseplant411
Lots of species specific plant pages, has a special tool called the plant wizard, which gives you a list of plants for you based on what you fill out!

thegardenhelper
LOTS of information relating to houseplants & gardening!

guide-to-houseplants
Extensive list of houseplants with full page care info about each species specific plant

costa farms
Most of the time the houseplants you find in grocery or big box stores (like Home Depot or Lowes) come from this grower. If you've lost the care tag, (or sometimes they don't even label what plant you have on the tag!)you can find what cultivar you have pretty easily on here. You must have general knowledge of what kind of plant it is. EX: I know what I purchased is a pothos, but I want to know what the specific variety is. Find the "Pothos" box and click it, and it will give you a list with pictures of the varieties that they offer!

haven-for-houseplants
All around general information, species specific pages, extra care information

plantsarethestrangestpeople
Blog with someones personal experience growing different kinds of houseplants. I like this one because while the other websites are helpful in telling you how to care for specific plants, this one tells you in their experience what it is like caring for the plant and how difficult/easy the species is.

looking-at-plants
Offers lots of specific plant information but you must know the exact scientific name. Going in you need to know what you're looking for, as there are no photos of the plants to guide you until you click on the Genus species name. Wouldn't recommend this website to beginners, but I wanted to leave it on the list as I do find the information very useful, possibly even more useful than any of the other sites listed.
Last edited by hollythecollie on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Somethings Wrong With My Plant!

Postby hollythecollie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:22 am

Somethings Wrong With My Plant!

If you're thinking about replying to ask what's wrong, in your reply you should...
Tell us what kind of plant species, what kind of container your plant is in (plastic, clay, etc.), if the pot has a hole in the bottom, what kind of light your plant is receiving, and how frequently you are watering. Lots and lots of things can go wrong with houseplants, but in general the most common case is over/under watering.

If you haven't changed your routine in any way and the plant starts acting up, check the roots! If you see tons of roots and little soil, it's wanting a bigger pot!

Repotting can shock the plant as well, so if you recently repotted the plant and then start seeing problems, most likely the plant is stressed and is dropping leaves because of that. Don't worry if the plant doesn't grow for a while after a repotting, it's actually doing plenty of growing under the dirt working on new roots!

Keep in mind that plants do outgrow their old leaves, and that an occasional yellowing leaf near the bottom of the plant is nothing to worry about.

The roots and stems are brown and squishy
Overwatering. Your plant most likely has developed root rot. This is the most common cause of houseplant death. Remove the plant and check on its root system. Remove any black roots & dying plant matter. It is hard to revive a plant with root rot, so you will most likely have to throw the plant away. Next time to prevent root rot, pick a pot with a drainage hole and let the first 2" of soil dry before watering.
* Exposure to cold weather will also turn houseplants mushy. Houseplants are tropical plants and should not be exposed to temperatures below 50 degrees F. Check on the root system, if there are still white firm roots it may recover if placed in a warmer location. All you can do is remove dead foliage and wait. Most succulent types will not recover.

The leaves are turning yellow
* When plant leaves turn soft and yellow and start to droop, too much water is frequently the cause. When the soil is too wet, plants are unable to gain enough oxygen, leading to root rot.
* Too little light also causes wilted, yellow leaves. The leaves may also be smaller than normal due to the lack of sun.
* The yellowing of leaves can also be a good indication of their nutrition. Specifically, if there is an strange pattern to the yellowing, like if the veins on the leaves are green and the tissue is yellow then it is almost always a nutrient problem.

The leaves are looking faded/bleached
Too much sun.

There are brown spots on the leaves

There are yellow spots on the leaves

leaf tips are turning brown
Are the brown tips soft and limp or dry and crispy?
Dry and crispy - Lack of Humidity, Underwatering, Chemical Burn
Lack of Humidity - Helpful link on how to increase humidity DO NOT mist. Misting plants is a common myth and often does more harm than good.
Chemical Burn - Can be caused from using tap water or overfertilization. While you can leave water out for a couple of days to let the chlorine evaporate, some chemicals like Fluoride will remain. Some plants, like Dracaenas are more sensitive to the chemicals in water than other plants. Rain water and Spring water are the best options for houseplants, but for those on a budget using a water filtration system (such as a brita) will work as well.
Cold / Hot Drafts- Plants under an A/C vent or near a fireplace and radiators will crisp the leaves, as they take away humidity, and houseplants do not like to be cold. Make sure that your plants are not exposed to cold drafts and leaves are not touching the cold/hot windows.
Soft and Limp -

The new growth is small and not as compact as it once was
Lack of light. Move your plant to a brighter location. DO NOT put in direct sun! It will shock your plant and burn!

Roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot
It's time to repot! Move your plant up 1 size (Usually a pot that is 2-4" bigger than the pot your plant is currently in) Do not move your plant to a huge pot, check out "Houseplant Myths" as to why.

My plant isn't growing!
When was the last time the plant was repotted? It may be time for it to move up a pot size. Gently remove the plant from the pot, if you see tons of roots (more roots than soil), it's time. If you see some roots, it's time to fertilize. Plants need food and water just like us. If you bought your back within the past 6 weeks and don't see any new growth, it has been shocked and is acclimating to it's new environment.

There are little black flying insects around my plants

There are little fuzzy bugs on my plants

My succulent looks wrinkly and shriveled

All the leaves on my plant are drooping to the ground!

Please no not reply yet, I am almost finished getting this page together, then we can chat about houseplants!
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Lets talk about houseplants!

Postby hollythecollie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:12 am

Now open for discussion! Still getting the pages together, forgive me if they sound incomplete!

Hows your collection going? Have you gotten any new plants recently? I had to travel somewhere this weekend and got 2 haworthias! They were only $2 each so of course I had to take them home! I've never owned this species before so i'm hoping I won't kill them, lol.

I also repotted a lot of my plants last week, and i'm starting to see new leaves on my fiddle leaf figs! I was worried they would drop their leaves in shock, but nope! I don't see why so many people complain about them being drama queens, i've had mine for 5 months with no problems!
hollythecollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grey matter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 am

i really want a cactus
i think i'd name them adri
but i don't think my parents would get me a plant
so i'll get one during college
jade from internet (inactive account)
he/him
grey matter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JK341 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:25 am

I do have this Norfolk Island Pine at the moment. I set it outside every summer and then bring it indoors when the cooler autumn weather comes. I also decorate it for the holiday season as well. c: Started off as a tiny little thing no bigger than 6" tall a couple of years ago. (please excuse the mess of a yard in the background, we're in the middle of a drought over here so the grass is turning crispy.)

Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me