I used to feed my doggy poison. :D

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

I used to feed my doggy poison. :D

Postby Cardinal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 am

On a daily base I would feed her propylene glycol which maybe toxic if consumed in large quanities overs weeks, months, and years. I also fed her diseased, dead, dying, and disabled cattle bits, euthinzed shelter pets with their flea collars still on. Yummy! Its also really funny how the euthing medicine is not altered or removed in the food making process. You know I also had to throw in some road kill for good measure!

Lets see... What else did I feed her..Oh yeah! She really really loved BHA which is proven to cause cancer and tumors! I also really enjoyed feeding her a dye.. I think it was.. Yellow 6? It has been linked to tumors in the adrenal gland and kidneys, it must be good stuff!

Hold the phone! What you be talking about?

Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot to add that I was feeding her Kibbles 'n Bits.

Yes, thats right. Kibbles 'n Bits. Were you expecting that one? She's also been fed Pedigree, Ol Roy , Gravy Train , and Beneful at some time or another in her life. What do all of these have in common? Well, for one, they all have dyes, BHA... Poor ingredients. Poison.

There seems to be a lack of education.

Society has it where people go to Walmart glance through the dog food section and throw in any ole food into their cart because its cheap, it says 'nurtritionally complete', and their dogs absolutely love it. They then sit back and wonder why their dogs have allergies, why they have loose runny stools, and why they are overweight or have issues keeping weight on. They never sit back and wonder 'Hm, maybe Kibbles 'n Bits isn't that healthy...'

I really would love for more people to open their eyes to the garbage they are feeding their beloved dog/ companion/ fur baby. SO! Lets break down a few lists on ingredients found in some well-known comerial dog food, shall we? I've already kind of done Kibbles 'n Bits.. So I guess I'll leave that one alone.

Alpo

Ingredients: Ground yellow corn,beef and bone meal (source of beef flavor), corn germ meal , soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA), digest of chicken by-products (source of chicken flavor), pork and bone meal, poultry by-product meal, salt, iron oxide, glandular meal (source of liver flavor), cheese meal (source of cheese flavor), choline chloride, zinc, sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, vitamin A acetate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), sodium selenite, folic acid, biotin

The underlined are questionable or bad. Corn is basically undigestible to dogs, it runs right through them and gives no nutritional value, its also to leading cause of food allergies in dogs.

Soybean meal is another thats pointless and hard to digest.

Animal fat can literally be from anything. Road kill, zoo animals, 4D (diseased, dead, dying, disabled), euthed shelter pets with flea collars still on, anything unfit for human consumption.

BHA is linked to cancer and tumors.

Byproducts are once again unfit for human consumption. Feathers, beaks, feet, blood, stomachs and contents, heads, brains... You get the picture. Gross.

How about a more respected food... IAMS anyone..?

IAMS ProActive Health

Chicken, Corn Meal , Ground Whole Grain Sorghum , Chicken By-Product Meal , Dried Beet Pulp , Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Caramel, Calcium Carbonate, Flax Meal, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract.

Alright, lets start on this one. Corn we already know is undigestible. Sorghum is a grain and if the plant is stressed or young it can produce toxic levels of cyanide.. Yum? By-products.... Beet Pulp. This is also a new one like Sorghum. Ultimately its sugar. They produce the same highs and lows as table sugar and a great deal of stress on the pancreas and adrenals, a condition that may result in diabetes. Also, sweetners have been linked to behavior problems and hyperactivity in pets. Who'd a thunk it?

[size=150]But.. But.. What SHOULD I feed my dog?

Awesome question!

There are a number of GREAT holistic dog foods out there, I now feed one of them myself and are extremely pleased with the results.

Dogs are designed to need a very high to all meat content in their food. It's impossible for them to properly and fully digest corn, wheat, and soy. Rice is a lesser evil.
Grain free is normally the best way to go kibble wise, if it can be afforded. Potato is a simple starch, easy to digest, and sweet potato is even better. Peas are a simple fiber.
Meat meals are better than JUST meat. Dog food ingredients are listed by the weight on bags. Meal is going to weight more that just say.. chicken. Therefore the bag would be made up of more chicken meal than just chicken. Look for at the very least two named meat products lists as the very first two ingredients.
Stay far far away from unnamed animal sources. Meat and bone meal, poultry, liver, animal fat, animal digest and so on and so forth. By-products are low quality and should be avoided.
BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin are all perservatives. BHA and BHT are both known to cause tumors and cancer... Ethoxyquin is often found in fish used in commericial dog foods. Ethoxyquin is a toxin limited and banned in human food.
Many poor quality foods have dyes in them. Although studies have not proven much, they have hinted at majority of the dyes to cause tumors or allergic reactions in animals. Besides, they are pointless. Your dog doesn't care his food is multicolored.

Now, an actual list of good holistic foods!

Blue Buffalo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Taste of the Wild, Canidae (I feed the Single Grain), Wellness, Wellness Core, Innova, Diamond Naturals, Solid Gold, Acana, Evo.. and many, many more (Help me out guys~)

Ultimately, however, there will be some flaw or another that could possibly be found with ANY kibble. The only food that could be considered perfect would be a RAW diet consisting of Raw meaty bones,muscle tissue, and organ meat, some people like to throw in eggs, small bits of fruit, and small amounts of veggies. Its honestly up to you. Raw bones, unlike dry or wet food, actually clean the teeth while they eat. Raw is also 100% digestible and you KNOW what is going into your pets system.

There are also a few benefits to feeding your dogs a higher quality food.. Besides.. Well ya know.. Poisoning them.

Before its mentioned, yes, higher quality foods DO cost more, however your dog will eat less. My pooch was being fed 6 heaping cup fulls of kibbles 'n bits and still could barely keep weight on. We switched to Canidae and she's down to 3 cups a day and can easily keep up a healthy weight.
People also notice much softer, fuller, and shinier coats. I can personally attest to this as well.
A dogs poop will have less of a smell, it desovles into the ground much quicker, and theres far less of it. Less to pick up or step in! Hurray!
Over-all health is improved leading to less vet visits and less money spent there. Food allergies normally disappear after switching off of corn, wheat, or soy.

Can I has lists?

Well, I thought it'd be a good idea to list dog food brands, the good, the bad, and the down right ugly. This way its an easy and quick comparison on level of food quality.

The worst.

Pedigree, Kibbles 'n Bits, Alpo, Gravy Train (cringe), Purina Dog Chow, Beneful Original, Ol'roy...

'Yuck, but not the most horrible'

IAMs Healthy Naturals, Pro Plan, Purina Beyond One, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Diamond brand,

Much better

Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Wellness, Innova, Diamond brand Naturals, Wellness, Natural Balance

Great

Evo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Canidae Pure Elements, Wellness Core, Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild, Acanna, Orijen

The best

Raw diet including the meat, bones, and organs or prey animals such as poultry, cattle, venison, pork ( If frozen for over three weeks), rabbits, rats, mice, guinea pigs.. You get the idea. Dogs can also be given veggies in small amount.. No more that 10-15% of the diet and it is also important to grind/blend the veggies up in a food processor. Dogs can not digest he cellulose wall to get at he nutrients inside so its important to break the walls yourself.

As you can see my lists are lacking, I could use a bit of help with this. 8D

Links

Just a few, I'll add more.

http://www.naturalnews.com/012647.html
http://www.preciouspets.org/truth.htm
http://www.purelypets.com/articles/whatsinfood.htm

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... ngredients Is by FAR my favorite and I use it very often. xD

http://dogfoodanalysis.com/ Cool site for dog food reviews.

Okay.. That was a lot of copy paste but ALAS I did write it, just for another site. ;D I thought it could be useful over here as well. The original was hastily thrown together at 3 in the morning after a bout of insomnia.. So.. Spelling errors and poor grammar are expected. See any errors? Point em out.

I also am aware this is for dog food, but almost the exact same rules apply for cats and ferrets when choosing a food. Catinfo.org is a good nutrition website for cats, while holisticferret.com is great or fuzzbuts.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I used to feed my doggy poison. :D

Postby Cardinal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 am

How about Testimonials?

So, have any of you ever switched your dog or pet from a low quality diet to a healthier one? Doesn't have to be a dog, because.. Lets face it, any animal can benefit from a good diet and show improvements. I'd like to hear your stories and post them here. :D!

I'll go first. I switched my dog from Kibbles n' bits like posted. I went from Kibbles n bits to Canidea. I noticed first of all that her chronic upset stomach way lessened, but did not ultimately go away. Her coat got softer and sleeker with a very noticeable shine. She gained much needed weight and stayed a healthy weight. I introduced Raw food into her diet and her gray and yellow teeth changed to pearly whites. She no longer has bad doggy breath either! Along with the raw food her coat got even more lush and she started to loose her doggy smell. Now, she has a very dry coat and got to the point where her skin was literally peeling. I changed food to Taste of the Wild which is completely grain free. Her skin is now healthy.. No dandruff. No doggy smell. She smells like shampoo ( peach mango) for weeks on end even with being a outside dog. Her coat is like black satin and ripples in the sun and amazingly soft and thick. Clear eyes with no discharge. No more upset stomach ever! Rippling muscle tone and a healthy weight. It was an amazing transformation. ^^; With the food changes she also became trainable and calmed down a heck of a lot. She gained an attention span once I cut out that nasty Beet Pulp. Also, she just acts like she feels a ton better.

My two cats were upgraded from Meow Mix to a rotation of Evo, Wellness CORE, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness, with raw meals occasionally. My female lost a good 6 pounds and is now slim and fit. She no longer sheds heavily and her coat is growing in thicker and softer. She has become a more outgoing cat and now actually seeks out affection and plays, whereas she slept all day before. My male gain muscle mass, a softer sleeker coat, no more eye drainage or nose discharge ( The vats said it was 'normal' when I adopted him). Also, their poop hardly has a smell and theres much less of it!

Your turn!
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby classi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 am

My dog eats Natural Balance. He's had nothing wrong with him, besides a little stomach problem (don't remember the name) when we first brought him home from the shelter. He hasn't had anything wrong for a while now. He's healthy and fit. :D
classi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 am

.raindrop. wrote:My dog eats Natural Balance. He's had nothing wrong with him, besides a little stomach problem (don't remember the name) when we first brought him home from the shelter. He hasn't had anything wrong for a while now. He's healthy and fit. :D

Awesome. :D Natural Balance is a pretty good food and I'm glad he approves of it!
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby classi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Cardinal wrote:
.raindrop. wrote:My dog eats Natural Balance. He's had nothing wrong with him, besides a little stomach problem (don't remember the name) when we first brought him home from the shelter. He hasn't had anything wrong for a while now. He's healthy and fit. :D

Awesome. :D Natural Balance is a pretty good food and I'm glad he approves of it!

I was afraid that it would be on the bad food list. XD But my puppy is in perfect health! Yay!
classi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bangarain » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:12 pm

You terrified me with the first paragraph. I was like "NUU!"
*flail*
We feed a mix of California Natural and Acana. Awesome stuffs. 8D
bangarain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Rainwolfeh wrote:You terrified me with the first paragraph. I was like "NUU!"
*flail*
We feed a mix of California Natural and Acana. Awesome stuffs. 8D

Bahaha, sorry for the scare. xD

I finally found a store around me that sells Acana and Orijen.. To bad the price made me cringe! :Shudder: I'd love to feed Orijen if I could afford it.
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby renki » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm

I have been given advice on following the link to dog food advisors. I would recommend STOP using them. Sadly, there is nothing wrong with natural balance and in fact a top brand. When looking into the websites for a better brand seeing as they ranked natural balance a 3 star brand, I went and clicked looking for 5 star. Please note I found more things wrong with the five star brands then natural balance. No longer a reputable website

EDIT
from the looks of your first post it looks like thats where you pulled most of the information, I would recommend against it
''I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back.'' -Doug
Its time for childish people to get off the computer and take a nap
I have woken up into a family that gives you a pat on the back and says this is the real world get use to it
renki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Renki wrote:I have been given advice on following the link to dog food advisors. I would recommend STOP using them. Sadly, there is nothing wrong with natural balance and in fact a top brand. When looking into the websites for a better brand seeing as they ranked natural balance a 3 star brand, I went and clicked looking for 5 star. Please note I found more things wrong with the five star brands then natural balance. No longer a reputable website

EDIT
from the looks of your first post it looks like thats where you pulled most of the information, I would recommend against it

No no, I hadn't even heard of DFA.com when I wrote this several months ago. It was through my own personal research. =0

I don't think the website it that horrible and it gives a pretty good idea of what to look for and what to be wary of, its not perfect, but it gives good information. It wasn't until I found the website and I checked into Canidea that I got a warning that the quality was going down. I started doing research into it and found out a few things such as a random formula change. My dog had been doing well on it and then her skin started peeling..So I changed. I do think some of the articles on there can be biased.. But meh, who isn't? xD
Honey, it's in the stars
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby renki » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 pm

One thing is does give is the informations on what is in what bag, but as far as rating goes its no good. Shoot my old girl use to be on a lot of different things, and my sisters dogs had been on a lot of things. Nothing better then either the raw or natural balance.

If I am not mistaken the only time natural balance has changed in all its years was when they put sweet potato as their first main ingredient and the fish second, due to mass complaints of the smell of the product, though I am not a fan. They did have one bag style change, and to my knowledge that is the only thing that has changed from the time they started

I feel so bad, I was so conditions to recommend that website, until just now to see what its really happened to their ratings
''I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back.'' -Doug
Its time for childish people to get off the computer and take a nap
I have woken up into a family that gives you a pat on the back and says this is the real world get use to it
renki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me