Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby catra » Tue May 22, 2018 1:34 pm

i didn't know there was a separate chat for snakes!
i have a male banana enchi bp named leo
(in shed in this picture)
catra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alita~ » Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

I have a snake, and I just love her. Shes just a corn snake but shes huge for her age. Skinny like she should be but loooooooooong. She's not even half a year old yet and shes a little over 2 feet. We thought she was a male, so I named her Legolas, (Lord Of The Rings fan XD) but then I was talking to her old owner and.... yea... So Legolas is a girl XD Anyways shes awesome. Legolas is kinda like a peach-ishy pink with gray spots on her back and there's a line of purple around every spot. She's got a silver belly with gold outlining where her sides meet her unserside, and shes got these weird gold and orange half circles that are on the gold line, but the round part are on her sides, and they are all the same length apart. Im thinking there was A LOT of inbreeding for this to be done. She has flaming red eyes, but shes sweet. Believe it or not she likes to cuddle too. I got her for $50 with a cage off of I think it was Craigslist or something like that. I was all ready for a snake and my parents were keeping an eye out for good ones, then my dad saw Legolas. She hadn't been named yet when I got her. Of course her middle name is Greenleaf, you'll get it if your a Lord of The Rings fan. All of our animals earn their middle names as they get older. Like my dog, her name is Maisy and she earned the middle name May, so we call her Maisy May XD And my bird... well... her middle name is bird XD Her name is Winter (Shes a sky blue) and she calls herself Winter bird so thats her middle name, then my kitten hasn't earned hers yet. The 17 year old family cat, his name is Gunner, his middle name is tub becuase he was Super overweight when we got him, and we called him Tubbers, Gunner (Of course), and Tub Tub. Theres more, but Anyways back to my snake. She has only bit me once and that was when I first got her and we were going to try to pop her and her head was resting on my hand and as soon as my mom started pushing on her tail, her teeth were in my hand. Of course I didn't blame her and just moved on, and now I can reach into her giant cage (It was $130, After I got her I bought her that with all of my birthday money) and easily just talk to her and pick her up without problems. She likes baths and drinking warm water right after she swallows a mouse. Shes my first ever snake and Im hoping shes not one of those animals that are kinda testers, (You know, like when you first get and animal and they are kinda like test animals cause you dont do so well with them and then you learn from your... well mistakes...) So yea... thats my snake!
Alita~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cacti. » Wed May 23, 2018 4:41 am

Okay I just happened to see this thread and it made me happy. I love snakes they’re adorable my best friend hates them she’s scared to death of them and like I’ll send her pictures of cute snakes and she will literally throw her phone. I feel like snakes have a negative connotation so I feel like you just have to get used to that Idk I just love their little snouts

Image || © || Image

x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 Zodiacs and 3
Malk element cats UFA

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hello, im Oliver
they/them
agender
asexual
panromantic
Follow my insta
@oliverdepression
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x
Cacti.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miss_skye » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Cacti. wrote:Okay I just happened to see this thread and it made me happy. I love snakes they’re adorable my best friend hates them she’s scared to death of them and like I’ll send her pictures of cute snakes and she will literally throw her phone. I feel like snakes have a negative connotation so I feel like you just have to get used to that Idk I just love their little snouts

Yeah, so many people freak out when I say that I have a ball python. Many ask if she is going to eat me or my dogs or if she's venomous. It can be frustrating!
miss_skye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Fri May 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Speaking of snakes eating people... my snake literally can't even find his own food (you can see the rat behind him).

This happened during a scheduled live feeding and Q&A stream in a group I admin. 🤦 The apex predator everyone...
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowdrake » Fri May 25, 2018 4:30 pm

I absolutely hate it if people ask me "Isn't it dangerous for your cats to have a corn snake?" like... NO did you ever even take a look at a corn snake picture? there tiny, they can't usually even eat rats! please just educate yourselves a tiny bit before you go accusing me of anything?? however, the worst thing is when people ask how big he is and I'm offering them to just show them a picture. then they litterally start to overreact and say "god please no! I am so scared of snakes I don't wanna see that picture!" seriously, it's not like he's gonna jump out of my mobile phone and bite you or anything, grow up already! I can understand it if people get a little uncomfortable when they look at a picture of an animal they consider to be scary, but acting like this is just immature, at least in my opinion.
things just got a lot more relaxed for me, I'll be able to be online more often! responses still won't be instant most times, sorry </3
snowdrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miss_skye » Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Hinode wrote:
    I absolutely hate it if people ask me "Isn't it dangerous for your cats to have a corn snake?" like... NO did you ever even take a look at a corn snake picture? there tiny, they can't usually even eat rats! please just educate yourselves a tiny bit before you go accusing me of anything?? however, the worst thing is when people ask how big he is and I'm offering them to just show them a picture. then they litterally start to overreact and say "god please no! I am so scared of snakes I don't wanna see that picture!" seriously, it's not like he's gonna jump out of my mobile phone and bite you or anything, grow up already! I can understand it if people get a little uncomfortable when they look at a picture of an animal they consider to be scary, but acting like this is just immature, at least in my opinion.

Exactly!! People act like our dogs and cats are in danger but in reality it's the snake that would be in trouble if it were to escape. My co-worker literally jumped back when I said I have a snake. I almost said "You know she's not in my pocket right?" It was really rude and immature honestly. I don't expect anyone to love snakes but I do expect some respect. There are certain dog breeds that I HATE but guess what? When someine tells me that they have that breed I nod and smile because I'm an adult and try to respect others. I would never tell the person "gross I hate x breed".

I don't understand why it's socially acceptable to be rude about pet snakes. I really wish the general public was more educated on snakes so less people would be less afraid and weirded out.
miss_skye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sat May 26, 2018 4:11 am

Honestly I haven't had many issues. If I know someone doesn't like snakes I just don't bring it up around them. I wouldn't appreciate it at all if someone kept bringing up one of my fears. Plus there are lots of dangerous snakes in many parts of the world, being instictively cautious around them is probably not a bad idea at all.

When we have company I ask before I bring her (Princess Buttercup, Pastel Ball Python) out, and I never pressure anyone to look at her or hold her. I respect others and they respect me (and my snake) in turn.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miss_skye » Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Taiger Lilly wrote:Honestly I haven't had many issues. If I know someone doesn't like snakes I just don't bring it up around them. I wouldn't appreciate it at all if someone kept bringing up one of my fears. Plus there are lots of dangerous snakes in many parts of the world, being instictively cautious around them is probably not a bad idea at all.

When we have company I ask before I bring her (Princess Buttercup, Pastel Ball Python) out, and I never pressure anyone to look at her or hold her. I respect others and they respect me (and my snake) in turn.

I don't push it on people or force anyone to look at photos. But when people ask what pets I have I tell them- that includes my snake. I don't appreciate when people are automatically rude about it. Some of my relatives don't know about my snake since they are deathly afraid of them.

I think it's pretty reasonable for me to expect people to be respectful and not rude when I casually mention my ball python. I think people just hear the word "python" and automatically assume she's some giant snake when in reality she's a 1400 gram, shy lil pastel vanilla bp lol.
miss_skye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grafaiai » Sat May 26, 2018 2:21 pm

yee sometimes people will ask about my pets and when i mention my snake they decide that's a good opportunity to describe snake deaths they've seen on tv in vivid detail for some reason, or generally be a jerk about it and ??? if you don't like snakes you could at least be polite about it, you wouldn't tell a dog owner you'd shoot their dog if you ever saw it so why is that okay for any other pet? /:

adult 🐸 xe/he 🐵 trashguts
aka tg, cricket, weevil
🐛
discord : trashguts
...but! be warned that i am not
much of a conversationalist

toyhou.se : trashguts
prone to Experiencing Mental Health,
please understand
🦟
adopt & base usage TOS
art shop thread!