LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby darkvoodoo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 pm

What is the best age to breed my bunny at?: 6 months
On AVERAGE(and yesyes I know this number can range from 1-15, but AVERAGE?), how many kits are born in a litter?:2-4 for a netherland dwarf
[hard question; not expecting an answer, really xD.] Is there an average percentage of how often a mother can reject her kits?: no set answer, but its about 50%-50% chance. Some does don't make good moms
Other/Anything else I should know before breeding and such?: Remember, you can save runts, but not peanuts. Rabbits wont return babies to the nest if thy hang on,etc. you have to return them yourself.
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 pm

darkvoodoo wrote:What is the best age to breed my bunny at?: 6 months
On AVERAGE(and yesyes I know this number can range from 1-15, but AVERAGE?), how many kits are born in a litter?:2-4 for a netherland dwarf
[hard question; not expecting an answer, really xD.] Is there an average percentage of how often a mother can reject her kits?: no set answer, but its about 50%-50% chance. Some does don't make good moms
Other/Anything else I should know before breeding and such?: Remember, you can save runts, but not peanuts. Rabbits wont return babies to the nest if thy hang on,etc. you have to return them yourself.

Thanks, but... What's a peanut? πŸ₯œ:3
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:18 am

What is the best age to breed my bunny at?: No sooner than 6 months, no later than a year.
On AVERAGE(and yesyes I know this number can range from 1-15, but AVERAGE?), how many kits are born in a litter?: For a Netherland, I'd say 2-4.
[hard question; not expecting an answer, really xD.] Is there an average percentage of how often a mother can reject her kits?: You're right, this is a hard one. I would say it depends on the breed and even the lines however. Some lines/breeds just seem more likely too. Out of my own rabbits, I would say it's very, VERY low. I've only had 1 or 2 that didn't want to feed them, and had 1 that killed her litter. Each time was their first time, the litters after they did fine.
Other/Anything else I should know before breeding and such?: Unless your rabbit is pedigreed and a good example of it's breed, I wouldn't breed it. But if you're going to, as darkvoodoo said, keep in mind with a Netherland you could get peanuts. The majority of NDs carry the dwarf gene. If a kit gets this gene from BOTH parents you get a peanut. They're smaller and deformed looking, often times stillborn, pass away in the first couple days typically. With my Dwarf Hotots I liked using bucks with the dwarf gene and bigger does that didn't have the gene as to avoid peanuts all together.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:29 am

The Mean Kitty wrote:What is the best age to breed my bunny at?: No sooner than 6 months, no later than a year.
On AVERAGE(and yesyes I know this number can range from 1-15, but AVERAGE?), how many kits are born in a litter?: For a Netherland, I'd say 2-4.
[hard question; not expecting an answer, really xD.] Is there an average percentage of how often a mother can reject her kits?: You're right, this is a hard one. I would say it depends on the breed and even the lines however. Some lines/breeds just seem more likely too. Out of my own rabbits, I would say it's very, VERY low. I've only had 1 or 2 that didn't want to feed them, and had 1 that killed her litter. Each time was their first time, the litters after they did fine.
Other/Anything else I should know before breeding and such?: Unless your rabbit is pedigreed and a good example of it's breed, I wouldn't breed it. But if you're going to, as darkvoodoo said, keep in mind with a Netherland you could get peanuts. The majority of NDs carry the dwarf gene. If a kit gets this gene from BOTH parents you get a peanut. They're smaller and deformed looking, often times stillborn, pass away in the first couple days typically. With my Dwarf Hotots I liked using bucks with the dwarf gene and bigger does that didn't have the gene as to avoid peanuts all together.

Aah, thank you! :D Also, I didn't know it couldn't be later than a year? Wow! XD ty!
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 am

People have bred rabbit over a year old (and a few months over a year I'd still probably try). But if a rabbit is over a year old and still hasn't had it's first litter, the chances of something going wrong increases, and it also just becomes harder to get the rabbit bred in the first place.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . mira . » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:51 am

My bunny is expected to loose her eye. :c The vets don't know what it is, but think it is a parasite. Her name is Hazel. Hazel is a 7 and 1/2 month old Netherland Dwarf rabbit. She is on 2 medicines; 1 twice a day eye drop, and the other a once a day medicine by mouth. She hates the one by mouth, and I feel bad that we have to force her to eat it, even though it is meant to make her better. Also, the parasite is getting worse. Her eye is cloudy, bulgy, and has white spots. I'm sad.
──-───────────────────────
hi, i'm mira. i'm into all things equine, especia
lly hunter jumping, as well as, realistic animal
roleplays. i am a bunny and doberman mom.

───────────────────────-──
──-───────────────────
she/her // straight // american
christian // optimist

───────────────────-──
──-──TO───────────────
pm me any time to talk, i'm friendly.
────────────P1SS───-──
──-───────────────────
if you're wondering, the glass is half full.
signature credit

───────────────────-──
. mira .

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Mira27 wrote:
My bunny is expected to loose her eye. :c The vets don't know what it is, but think it is a parasite. Her name is Hazel. Hazel is a 7 and 1/2 month old Netherland Dwarf rabbit. She is on 2 medicines; 1 twice a day eye drop, and the other a once a day medicine by mouth. She hates the one by mouth, and I feel bad that we have to force her to eat it, even though it is meant to make her better. Also, the parasite is getting worse. Her eye is cloudy, bulgy, and has white spots. I'm sad.

Aw, I'm so sorry for hearing this. I wish you and Hazel the best of luck, God bless you <3 <3 <3
I can't really put my finger on what you may mean, as this 'parasite'. It might not be, it depends on some of these:

Has she been vaccinated, ever?
Does she go outside frequently if un-vacc'd?
Do you have another rabbit/pets who go outside frequently?

Things like that. If she gkes outside and hasn't been vacc'd she could have caught something, although that would most likely be the same if she WAS vacc'd, anyway.

But as I said, I haven't fot a picture to work with, so I'm not exactly sure.
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Eheh guys guys!

~snip~

Like my new signature? W.i.p, kinda starring Aura I guess xD! The CS bunny looks closest to her, but she's actually THIS fur colour:

http://www.chickensmoothie.com/viewpet.php?id=170030779

Aura as a syrian hammy lol jk just her colour :D

Rn she's...where is she?!?!uh oh...

*1 second later* whoop found her :D

PHEW! :D

She's near the couch near the window :3
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm

My bunny has been acting kinda strange recently..? Just came back from school and my dad says she kinda stinks (he thinks its B.O), but I think its just the smell of poop.....

When I went closer to her cage, she opened her mouth, showing her tongue and teeth etc.. We don't know if it was a "back off" sign or a yawn..

She's 3 3/4 months old and my dad thinks she's on heat...???? Help?
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Takara » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 am

@LeiaWolfe
I've never heard of/ had a rabbit getting B.O., so it's probably either an infection (You seem to pay a lot of attention to her, which makes me think you'd know if she had a cut or something that might get infected, so I doubt this is the cause.) Or, as you suggested, her cage needed cleaning.

Bunnies usually grunt or lunge and try to bite you if they want you to back off. I'm thinking this was most likely just a yawn, especially since you mentioned seeing her tongue.

Rabbits aren't ready to breed until around 6 months.

@junebug.

Domestic rabbits can be bred anytime during the year, although they do take better in spring.
Takara

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me