LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Cool everyone! ;)

I am a first-time very new bunny owner, and today marks only 1 week that I've had her! :D If you guys have any good tips on bunny care, tell me! ( But I have a lot covered, don't worry. I didn't get a bunny without knowing anything about them! XD)
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jingle bells. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 am

Does anyone have any tips on how to trim your rabbits nails without them freaking out so much? Because every time I try to trim my rabbits nails, he flips out and starts to scurry away. Thanks for any help!
jingle bells.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . mira . » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:45 am

@jingle bells, you might not be able to afford this, but you can always take them to a local pet store. You pay a little bit, and professionals trim your bunnies nails!
──-───────────────────────
hi, i'm mira. i'm into all things equine, especia
lly hunter jumping, as well as, realistic animal
roleplays. i am a bunny and doberman mom.

───────────────────────-──
──-───────────────────
she/her // straight // american
christian // optimist

───────────────────-──
──-──TO───────────────
pm me any time to talk, i'm friendly.
────────────PASS───-──
──-───────────────────
if you're wondering, the glass is half full.
signature credit

───────────────────-──
. mira .

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:50 pm

jingle bells. wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to trim your rabbits nails without them freaking out so much? Because every time I try to trim my rabbits nails, he flips out and starts to scurry away. Thanks for any help!

Hello! There is actually another way you MIGHT want to try. It is called "hypnotising". People use it when they want to check areas of their rabbit, that are not easy to get to. You can search on the internet, or PM me for an answer

(On mobile right now, so sorry xD)
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello! Okay, so I'm in a kinda.. BAD situation here. We found how much vaccinations cost, and they're $107AUD ($82USD), and we have to vacc. Her: in 4 weeks, AND every 6 months, and my dad is thinking Don't vacc. Her since its expensive.. What SHOULD I DO?!?!?!

Edit: I just read an article about calicivirus. :C
It says: "Rabbits under 12 weeks of age are less susceptible to the disease and may survive infection, however, vaccination is the best way to keep your rabbit safe."

My rabbit is currently 9 weeks old. 10-12 weeks should be vaccinated, then once a year. I will do anything to get her vacc'd..It also says that: "Rabbit Calicivirus is a disease which damages the rabbit's internal organs such as the liver and gut, and can also cause haemorrhage or bleeding. Calicivirus is spread from wild rabbits, in the air and on clothing and hands. Fleas also transmit the virus from rabbit to rabbit."

..The best I can do RIGHT now, is to wash my hands and clothing before touching her..
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Polly44 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:56 am

@LeiaWolfe- When i first got my Rabbit i was of the don't get her vaccinated opinion. Partly because it is expensive and partly because i wasn't that sure it was worth it- a friend of mine hasn't vaccinated hers for years and they are all fine.
However after a while of having her home, i spotted a mouse chilling in her hutch and i am aware that wild mice can carry all sorts of diseases, so i got her vaccinated the next day or so. As all i could think about was what if she got something off that mouse, and died or something all because i was too tight to pay for vaccinations.
So yeah, i'd recommend vaccinations to be honest.
Polly44

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Polly44 wrote:@LeiaWolfe- When i first got my Rabbit i was of the don't get her vaccinated opinion. Partly because it is expensive and partly because i wasn't that sure it was worth it- a friend of mine hasn't vaccinated hers for years and they are all fine.
However after a while of having her home, i spotted a mouse chilling in her hutch and i am aware that wild mice can carry all sorts of diseases, so i got her vaccinated the next day or so. As all i could think about was what if she got something off that mouse, and died or something all because i was too tight to pay for vaccinations.

Thank you! Is it okay to vaccinate her only once? (As in, vaccinate in 4 weeks?)
Because people say you should vacc. Them every 6-12 months, so... But I have heard a lot of owners don't vacc. Them at all..?
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby critter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:30 pm

I didn't know where else to post and I need help ASAP. We have three rabbits who are wild, they "live" in our backyard and come out sometimes during the day, but mostly at night. We have two small dogs and we don't want to hurt them, we actually want to keep them but we know we might not be able too. My mom really wants a rabbit, so do I, but they are hard to manage and wild ones? Those are hard to keep them calm and they are afraid, but when my dad comes back from FL. he might want to kill them, he's a hunter and he would, I know it. I don't know want to do, please help us. Thank you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm chasing my dreams,
catch you on the flip side <3
last checked 1/15/23
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
critter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . mira . » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 am

I had two big wild rabbits once. If you cannot catch them, then I'd suggest calling a Wildlife Control. They could move them to another area. Yes, the wild rabbits are more 'wild', but they are still fun. I am not a professional, so don't rely on me.
──-───────────────────────
hi, i'm mira. i'm into all things equine, especia
lly hunter jumping, as well as, realistic animal
roleplays. i am a bunny and doberman mom.

───────────────────────-──
──-───────────────────
she/her // straight // american
christian // optimist

───────────────────-──
──-──TO───────────────
pm me any time to talk, i'm friendly.
────────────PASS───-──
──-───────────────────
if you're wondering, the glass is half full.
signature credit

───────────────────-──
. mira .

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Polly44 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 am

LeiaWolfe wrote:
Polly44 wrote:@LeiaWolfe- When i first got my Rabbit i was of the don't get her vaccinated opinion. Partly because it is expensive and partly because i wasn't that sure it was worth it- a friend of mine hasn't vaccinated hers for years and they are all fine.

Thank you! Is it okay to vaccinate her only once? (As in, vaccinate in 4 weeks?)
Because people say you should vacc. Them every 6-12 months, so... But I have heard a lot of owners don't vacc. Them at all..?

Personally i would do vaccinations every 6/12 months or whatever it is. I'm going to do that with mine. I don't care if it's not technically needed or whatever, but i'd be heartbroken if something happened that could have been prevented.
And yeah a lot of owners don't. But my friend i mentioned who doesn't vacc hers, lost two of them last year i think and i don't think either of them were that old either. Now i'm not saying it's because they were never vaccinated, but that could have had something to do with it.
Polly44

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me