Low maintenance pets pllease lock mods

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Low maintenance pets

Postby FerretMonarch » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:25 pm

Lemon Coyote wrote:Saying this as someone who works in animal rehab, please do not take in those kinds of "exotic pets"
We're constantly getting animals that have been habituated in the hospital, and they cannot be released. The problem is that people realize they aren't good pets, they "release" them, and then the animal has no hope of making it in the wild.
Half the residents we have here where habituated

The skunk want as pet is realistically just a dream since i dont have the means right now to care for one properly and if i did in the future when i get my own place i wont have the time to ensure its enriched properly. Which is unfortunate cause i love the forest cats
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HEXORCISM » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:46 am

FerretMonarch wrote:Gekos are so cute too! Those and frogs are the only ny sister will let me have. Also if i didnt have to clean a fish tank twice a week i would have a tank or two. I also sent you a insta message

depending on your tank size, filter, and number and species of fish you can get away with biweekly water changes. if not, once a week is the standard. you can use this website as a rough estimate, but it's more accurate than the inch-per-gallon estimate. green algae is an indicator of a good environment. trying to keep your tank algae-free is both impossible and not necessary, as long as you don't allow it to grow to excessive amounts. fully cleaning your tank will disrupt the nitrogen cycle and should only be left for extreme cases (such as disease or snail infestations). so you will not be doing heavy cleaning every week.

i have a 10g tank and a betta fish, which is enough for me to do changes biweekly (but they are larger changes than if i were to do them weekly). however, if i were to have guppies, i would have to do weekly or twice-weekly changes, because there are more fish (and they're messy eaters eugh), and some fish are naturally larger waste producers than others, like goldfish. you will still have to feed them once or twice a day depending on your food and the fish, but fish are on the "low" end of the spectrum if you have a proper set up. in addition to allowing you to make smaller or less frequent water changes, a larger tank in comparison to your fish gives you more room for mistakes. if it's your first tank, i'd stick to freshwater fish and maybe 20-50g. the larger the tank the easier it is to take care of your fish, so larger than 50g is also great. you'll have a very large amount of fish you can pick from too. but if you wanted biweekly changes in a smaller tank such as a 10-15g, you'd really only have the option of betta fish, since at that tank size they would have to be solitary (and i wouldn't recommend cohabitation for anyone inexperienced anyway), and most other fish that can go in those tanks are social. fishlore is a really great fishkeeping forum, and there's a list of important topics here that will be useful.

a lot of your supplies will depend on your tank size and the fish you want to take care of (such as substrate type, food, etc.) so that will be something you have to research yourself. but generally, in comparison to some pets, fish are relatively low maintenance. they are not easy pets like everyone would like to have you believe, but you don't usually have to do anything daily with them outside of feeding. some are really curious and you can even play with them ("play" as in teaching them tricks or putting a floating ball in their tank or having them follow your finger. definitely not to the extent of a dog or cat). they are smarter than people give them credit for, but they stress out really easily. fish love routine. dogs love new things, which is great but i can't always come up with new walking routes or ways for both my senior and younger dog to play the same game to earn a treat, you know?
if you have cats you'll need to make sure they can't scare the fish (let alone stick their paws into the tanks as i've seen some owners allow; there should be a lid anyway for lighting and to keep fish from accidentally jumping out).
ImagexxxImage
you should totally click them.xxxxxpfp
HEXORCISM

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby FerretMonarch » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:36 am

HEXORCISM wrote:
FerretMonarch wrote:Gekos are so cute too! Those and frogs are the only ny sister will let me have. Also if i didnt have to clean a fish tank twice a week i would have a tank or two. I also sent you a insta message

depending on your tank size, filter, and number and species of fish you can get away with biweekly water changes. if not, once a week is the standard. you can use this website as a rough estimate, but it's more accurate than the inch-per-gallon estimate. green algae is an indicator of a good environment. trying to keep your tank algae-free is both impossible and not necessary, as long as you don't allow it to grow to excessive amounts. fully cleaning your tank will disrupt the nitrogen cycle and should only be left for extreme cases (such as disease or snail infestations). so you will not be doing heavy cleaning every week.

i have a 10g tank and a betta fish, which is enough for me to do changes biweekly (but they are larger changes than if i were to do them weekly). however, if i were to have guppies, i would have to do weekly or twice-weekly changes, because there are more fish (and they're messy eaters eugh), and some fish are naturally larger waste producers than others, like goldfish. you will still have to feed them once or twice a day depending on your food and the fish, but fish are on the "low" end of the spectrum if you have a proper set up. in addition to allowing you to make smaller or less frequent water changes, a larger tank in comparison to your fish gives you more room for mistakes. if it's your first tank, i'd stick to freshwater fish and maybe 20-50g. the larger the tank the easier it is to take care of your fish, so larger than 50g is also great. you'll have a very large amount of fish you can pick from too. but if you wanted biweekly changes in a smaller tank such as a 10-15g, you'd really only have the option of betta fish, since at that tank size they would have to be solitary (and i wouldn't recommend cohabitation for anyone inexperienced anyway), and most other fish that can go in those tanks are social. fishlore is a really great fishkeeping forum, and there's a list of important topics here that will be useful.

a lot of your supplies will depend on your tank size and the fish you want to take care of (such as substrate type, food, etc.) so that will be something you have to research yourself. but generally, in comparison to some pets, fish are relatively low maintenance. they are not easy pets like everyone would like to have you believe, but you don't usually have to do anything daily with them outside of feeding. some are really curious and you can even play with them ("play" as in teaching them tricks or putting a floating ball in their tank or having them follow your finger. definitely not to the extent of a dog or cat). they are smarter than people give them credit for, but they stress out really easily. fish love routine. dogs love new things, which is great but i can't always come up with new walking routes or ways for both my senior and younger dog to play the same game to earn a treat, you know?
if you have cats you'll need to make sure they can't scare the fish (let alone stick their paws into the tanks as i've seen some owners allow; there should be a lid anyway for lighting and to keep fish from accidentally jumping out).

Oh i didnt realize that alge was good for them. (My mother's husband had a tank, but let them die because he didnt want to change the filter and stuff suddenly after years of having them. I dont remember a whole lot about his, bht he also had pond fish. But i'll definitely have to keep them in mind; i remember the guppies he had liked to follow my finger and play with a bobber thing in it and i liked to 'pet' them by letting them nibble
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gysti » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:57 pm

Ooh, are we talking fish? :D Aquariums can get pretty expensive starting out but once it's set up it's not so bad. And my snails and siamese alge eaters handle most of the excess algea. (Don't get chinese algea eaters, they're bad.) I have a 55gal planted tank and for the most part when you involve live plants and large spaces everything keeps pretty well-balanced on its own which means you can spend less time maintaining and more time simply enjoying your fish. I use a sicce whale canister filter that is super quiet and works well, and I do a 25%-50% water change maybe every two or three weeks.

I suggest a bigger tank because it's much more forgiving to mistakes and you can find them for free with all the equipment on facebook marketplace if you're patient and check often. That's what I did!
Gysti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby On a hiatus for now » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:54 am

I am a mouse owner and they are very low-maintenance pets, probably the easiest pets to care for. They do not take up much space (they only need a 20-gallon long tank) and are adorable. Gerbils are also a good choice too! I am also a gerbil owner. They require a little more space (a 40-gallon long tank) and are just as cute. Some people will say that fish are low-maintenance pets but that is actually false, to properly take care of a fish you have to buy a bunch of expensive stuff (heater, filter, gravel vacuum, etc.), probably not a great choice if you are looking for something cheaper and easier to care of. Pocket pets are the best choice, in my opinion. :)
On a hiatus for now

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:17 am

Felinoid wrote:I am a mouse owner and they are very low-maintenance pets, probably the easiest pets to care for. They do not take up much space (they only need a 20-gallon long tank) and are adorable. Gerbils are also a good choice too! I am also a gerbil owner. They require a little more space (a 40-gallon long tank) and are just as cute. Some people will say that fish are low-maintenance pets but that is actually false, to properly take care of a fish you have to buy a bunch of expensive stuff (heater, filter, gravel vacuum, etc.), probably not a great choice if you are looking for something cheaper and easier to care of. Pocket pets are the best choice, in my opinion. :)

Unfortunately, my sister doesnt want any rats or other rodents in tbe house as they have cats
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gysti » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:50 am

I guess I should reiterate that aquarium fish is a costly upfront investment, but once everything is set up and you have all the supplies, it's pretty easy. I use a siphon thingie to do my water changes which makes it so easy. The tube goes over the windows sill and right into the garden, watering the plants outside with fertilizer-rich drink! To replenish the water in the tank, I then hook up the siphon to the nearest sink, turn it on and wait. I add a bit of water conditioner to the tank and the job is done! I repeat this task maybe every two or three weeks. A planted tank is also very forgiving if you fall behind, because the plants (if everything goes as well as it should) will use any waste as nutrients.

I think the biggest frustration is when you have extended power outages like the one I had yesterday. When the heater and filter shut off suddenly it can really impact some of my more sensitive fish. I sadly lost a few to this yesterday. I'm pretty upset about it.

I still say it's worth trying though! And like I said, you can find most if not all the starter equipment on craigslist or facebook marketplace if you look for a while. Good luck with your pet research!
Gysti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby whispering.smaug » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:00 am

Hi! I say this with the best intentions and with consideration to the other pets in your household, but I do not feel like you guys are ready for another pet.

As previously stated in this thread, there’s actually no such thing as a “low maintenance” pet! All animals have their own individual needs that need to be accounted for.

It’s also really really not a good idea to support exotic animal breeders such as skunk breeders. These animals are not domestic and even if it is legal, it is not morally just to buy an animal from them. Simply put, it’s not an ethical choice for a pet.

I think it’s also a good idea to remove or sell the toxic plants in your household as it’s unsafe for your other animals. Especially since they’re chewing on them, it’s really dangerous even to have them in your home! Even if you try your hardest to keep your animals separate there’s always a chance they’ll get to the plants and make themselves seriously sick.

Additionally, I really don’t think it’s a good idea to ask on an adoptable pets site about irl pets. You should really join specific groups for this kind of thing and do your own independent research! Getting a pet without doing thorough research on your own is never a good idea and can lead to that pet not having a good quality of life.

I really hope you take my advice to mind! Thanks for reading!
smaug | adult | they/them

hi im smaug!
finals are approaching and im busy and tired

cans of monster energy consumed: 12

https://toyhou.se/whisperingsmaug
whispering.smaug

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:06 am

whispering.smaug wrote:Hi! I say this with the best intentions and with consideration to the other pets in your household, but I do not feel like you guys are ready for another pet.

As previously stated in this thread, there’s actually no such thing as a “low maintenance” pet! All animals have their own individual needs that need to be accounted for.

It’s also really really not a good idea to support exotic animal breeders such as skunk breeders. These animals are not domestic and even if it is legal, it is not morally just to buy an animal from them. Simply put, it’s not an ethical choice for a pet.

I think it’s also a good idea to remove or sell the toxic plants in your household as it’s unsafe for your other animals. Especially since they’re chewing on them, it’s really dangerous even to have them in your home! Even if you try your hardest to keep your animals separate there’s always a chance they’ll get to the plants and make themselves seriously sick.

Additionally, I really don’t think it’s a good idea to ask on an adoptable pets site about irl pets. You should really join specific groups for this kind of thing and do your own independent research! Getting a pet without doing thorough research on your own is never a good idea and can lead to that pet not having a good quality of life.

I really hope you take my advice to mind! Thanks for reading!

I was about to post this. No animal truly low maintenance ever if you think they are.
I keep seeing fish tanks mentioned and as someone who has had multiple fish tanks there not low maintenance in the slightest. If/when they move out are they willing to move all the fish, the tank and the equipment and depending on the size it's going to be hard getting from one place to next without it breaking or loosing fish in the process (which I have had happen even when taking the utmost care).

A larger fish tank ( smallest we had was 4 foot long cant remember the gallons biggest was 6 foot long all fully planted ) is also better for it to be truly low maintenance and that also can take a month to fully cycle then there is keeping the water parameters as perfect as possible, stuff to treat any potential illnesses and everything. There is no vet for fish so any illness has to be treated by you which needs research on every possible illness.

People say fish keeping is easy but it isn't at all.

Honestly a fish tank is something I would look at when I'm in a place of my own and not planning on moving again as it's way to much hassle to move anything.

I've had rats, rabbits, ferrets, birds, lizards, snakes, dogs, cats, goats, chickens, ducks, geese everything you can possible think off and nothing is easy or low maintenance no matter what.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HEXORCISM » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:47 am

FerretMonarch wrote:Oh i didnt realize that alge was good for them.

not necessarily. it doesn't provide any benefits to them unless they eat algae, but too much of it can definitely cause issues. in large quantities it can disrupt the balance, compete with plants for nutrients, and smother plants. anything other than green algae (beard, blue-green, etc.) usually means there's something wrong.

On a hiatus for now wrote:to properly take care of a fish you have to buy a bunch of expensive stuff (heater, filter, gravel vacuum, etc.), probably not a great choice if you are looking for something cheaper and easier to care of.

this is true for any pet -- no pet is cheap. especially not without risking their health and safety. i think the major reason fish seem so expensive in comparison to other pets is because you need everything upfront, and it's not spread out over time like other pets (vet appointments, food, litter/substrate changes, etc.). i would probably say fish are cheap compared to other pets if you take into account whatever youre spending over the years. the substrate does not need to be changed out like with rodents or reptiles, and the filter rarely needs to be changed. my food, water conditioner, and supplemental bacteria lasts years compared to the food i have to buy every 2-3 months for my dogs. nor do i have expensive vet appointments with a fish </3

whispering.smaug wrote:Hi! I say this with the best intentions and with consideration to the other pets in your household, but I do not feel like you guys are ready for another pet.

[snip]

i haven't read this thread fully as i really. cant be bothered to put that much energy into cs. but yes, there's definitely no universal low-maintenance pet. it entirely depends on your own energy and what youre comparing them to. every pet will need to be fed, usually daily or multiple times a day, checked on, have something changed out or cleaned up, etc. in comparison to a dog, fish are quite low-maintenance generally. but if you don't have the energy to feed a dog or cat you definitely won't have it to feed a fish. you can't just throw the food in there for them, you have to make sure they know its there or itll just rot at the bottom of the tank. there's really no cues for them unlike a dog that can hear the kibble being put into a bowl. at best, you can try wiggling your finger or smth at the top and hope they notice. some days i've spent upwards of 10-20 minutes trying to get their attention. and then you have to make sure they actually eat it, because sometimes they like to just spit it out. or they drop it. and most fish have trouble picking food out of the substrate, especially if it blends in. in my experience most fish just completely lose interest once its hit the bottom of the tank. and you have to start all over.
that is just feeding them; fish are much more prone to sickness than other pets. their environment means you also have to clean out the water/tank much more or even entirely because just about everything is water-borne.

for everything else said by whispering.smaug, i completely agree (i do also agree with the 'no low maintenance pets' but there's less for me to say on everything else without just restating it). the aspca has a pretty complete list of plants that lets you sort by (non-)toxicity and animal if you'd like to search for something specific if you decide to get new plants.
i don't know of any sites for other animals, but the fishlore site i linked earlier is pretty helpful and full of knowledgeable people if you ever wanted to ask them some questions about fish.

Angelus Gaston wrote:
People say fish keeping is easy but it isn't at all.

it isn't, and definitely not when youre just starting, but once you have everything set up properly and have a basic understanding of how everything works i would personally place them somewhere around "low" maintenance.

if you (general 'you') can handle the loss of animal life and the work that has to be put in at the beginning, it can be a nice little thing you put in a bit of extra effort into at the end of the week or every other week. the beginning is not something i had put thought into when i first wrote my response, which is my mistake. i got lucky and got most things right my first time, so i didn't spend a ton of money or energy re-cycling it, replacing fish, etc.
losing fish is the unfortunate process everyone has to go through to learn the ropes, and even experienced aquarists make mistakes. i dont personally form any emotional connections with my fish, so it doesnt hit me hard when it inevitably happens. but i know some people can form those quickly or upset over any animal life, in which case fishkeeping is definitely not the hobby for them.

i would definitely recommend asking the aforementioned communities about what they consider the hardest part, or what they wish they knew before they got the animal(s), or for information a lot of people don't realize or know. i know the aquarium hobby community is generally pretty upfront and truthful about that kind of stuff since the business end tends to be full of money-making lies. i think there are even specific threads on cs for specific animals. forums like fishlore would be a better option, but if you just wanted to browse around or maybe ask if anyone knows of sites similar to fishlore for other animals, i don't think it'd hurt.
ImagexxxImage
you should totally click them.xxxxxpfp
HEXORCISM

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me