Animal rescue/rehab chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Animal rescue/rehab chat!

Postby Madel » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:43 am

I made a post a while ago asking if anyone else worked in animal rescue and rehab, I was so excited to find others who volunteer and work at rehab centers! I decided to make a discussion form. Talk about animal patents, animals you work with, or ask questions! You don't need to volunteer/work to chat. Anyone is welcome to join!

Rules
- All CS rules apply
- Do not come here seeking advice about an animal you found. We strongly encourage you to bring the animal to a local rescue, that way, it can get the help it needs ASAP
- Don't state the rescue you work at!
- On top of that, please blur our any info that may be in pictures ( uniforms, faces, etc. )
- Don't spread false information. If you aren't sure about something you can say "I'm not sure but..." "I've heard..." etc.

Feel free to introduce yourself too!
Code: Select all
username:
pronouns:
intro:
cool fact about an animal you love: (optional)
what's your favorite animal you work with/had as a patient?: (optional)

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Wildlife scientist working in
animal rehabilitation and
rescue. I'm often busy with
work but feel free to DM or
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
macaws, dragons, and wl pets.
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Animal rescue/rehab chat!

Postby Madel » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:48 am

username: lemon coyote
pronouns: he/it
intro: I'm an environmental science major, and I've been working with animals for a while now. I work at an education center/animal hospital for native wildlife! I do a lot of education programs for kids, as well as work with some of our animals on exhibit. These animals cant be released back into the wild, so they are used to educate people!
cool fact about an animal you love: Tasmanian devils can eat up to 40% of their body weight in one day
what's your favorite animal you work with/had as a patient?: We have one of the oldest captive Turkey vultures! He's really cool, and very loved by our visitors.

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Audrey_Bee » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 am

So I don't work in any rescue centres (I did apply for volunteer work at an RSPCA though and am actively looking for volunteer work for going out to rescue animals between my full time job)
BUT
I don't know if this is allowed so I apologise if its not. But quite a few years ago now, I would guess around 2014 time my dad found a stray cat, probably less than a year old, roaming around his place of work. Without naming the place, it was a gated factory environment. A guy with the nickname Tonks found her and put her in a box, told my dad because my mum loves cats and she works there too. We took her in as there were talks about calling in pest control (my dad had a go at them saying she's not a pest, she's a cat!). She stayed with us temporarily as we fed her and kept her warm called up RSPCA who were unfortunately very full and said there's a waiting list of 2 week. My mum made the decision to keep her as she said after 2 weeks the cat would have already settled in to the house and it wouldn't be fair to move her around so much.

And so, 'Tonks' was named after the guy who found her and became part of our family. She became queen of the household even with our 2 older cats we had at the time. She was quite literally the most amazing cat I've ever had in my life. So gentle, never scratched or bit anyone. Super friendly baby♡

She unfortunately passed away about 3 years ago due to leukaemia which is untreatable but we got her cremated so she's always with us. I'm so happy to have given her a comfortable life rather than her being out on the streets for years. She was a happy kitty and loved us. Knowing that we gave her a better life gives me so much joy and I want to do more like that!
Audrey_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bridgy1234 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:33 am

username:bridgy1234
pronouns:they/them
intro:I dont work at an animal rescue but I live and work on a farm near a small city, so I end up getting farm animals (mainly poultry) from city folks or people within city limits, and sadly house cats and kittens that people dont want to deal with properly. I am open to taking in poultry and small farm animals that others are no long able to keep or take care of, a local auction company contacts me to catch and take care of abandoned pets that new homeowners dont want or the local animal shelter cant/wont take of. I also work to try and find homes for some of the abandoned animals that are able to be rehomed and make good house pets.
Just a loving reminder to anyone with access to a farm store. DO NOT buy chicks, ducklings or rabbits as gifts, entertainment, or live decoration for easter. these are living things with requirements greatly different from a dog or a cat. animal sales are final. there are not many shelters (at least where I've lived) that will rabbits and even fewer that take poultry. chicks and ducklings are very fragile and require a temperature controlled environment. Chickens and ducks have the potential life span of ten years depending on the breed and some rabbits can live to be twelve years old, so it is a long term commitment.

cool fact about an animal you love: Muscovy ducks have wing talons
what's your favorite animal you work with/had as a patient?: in general I like working with ducks but one of my favorite animals specifically was a black crested duck we named Lucy. she and a black crested drake was given to me by someone who was trying to keep them as house pets with in city limits. She had a lot of personality and was very flirtatious with any species of male poultry, this helped us rescue a heart broken abandoned black swiss drake from a pond with a large snapping turtle.(which had eaten the rest of his flock) after we brought them home the black swiss had to be in his own pen so he could adjust to the new surroundings and animals, Lucy went and gathered the other ducks and brought them to him to meet him and I would often find her taking her afternoon naps by his pen.
Bridgy1234

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Madel » Sun May 28, 2023 3:31 pm

Hello both!

Audrey, that’s totally ok yes! Anyone who’s passionate about animal rescue is welcome here ❤️

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SqueakerTheBun » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:49 am

(i know the last post was around a year ago, i hope im not bothering anyone posting to it now!!)

username: SqueakerTheBun

intro: hi, i volunteer at my local animal shelter and foster kittens/cats!! my family has been fostering cats and kittens since i was like 4 years old, so i grew up learning the ropes.

cool fact about an animal you love: hmm maybe that one about the vast majority of calico/tortie cats being girls!!

what’s your favorite animal you’ve worked with: we’ve fostered well over 200 cats and kittens in the past years, so i’ve seen a lot of different stuff. deaf cats, a kitten with cerebellar hypoplasia (wobbly cat syndrome), cats with heterochromia, injured cats, polydactyl cats, etc.!!

i’ve loved so many of our fosters, but one of my favorites was a kitten from about a year or two ago with heterochromia and polydactyl paws!! i was very directly involved in her raising, and i got to name her!! i chose Chickadee!! she was an adorable kitten with really pretty eyes and her polydactyl paws made it look like she had thumbs!! we had her for months, i watched her grow up and i was so attached. (but we had 5 cats of our own, and needed to save room for the fosters!!) she went to an amazing home :33
SqueakerTheBun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me