Rabbit Owner chat V3 [New thread!]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner chat V3 [Posting open, setting up]

Postby Raire » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:25 am

Winstalgia wrote:Username: winstalgia
Your rabbit's names! (Put 'Future bun owner' if non-owner): Falafel and Benji! I think Falafel is a mini rex but I'm not 100% sure, he just kinda showed up in our yard one day so I just compared him to a lot of different breeds online lol. Benji is a rex/american and was adopted from the shelter.

Ohhh Falafel, the distant cousin to my Löffel! Food names for the win and both share a colour hahaha. I'm not that knowledgeable about Rexes (never thought I'd own one), but I think it goes by weight. So if he's in the weight category for Mini, then it works. He's definitely a Rex and looks like Löffel on a good day.
Mine just loses fur in a weird way and always looks like a well loved teddy bear.
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:08 am

Löffel is adorable! Glad to have confirmation on his breed, as well! I was always so hesitant calling him that even though I thought he was, never got a second opinion until now. That definitely makes him a mini rex then! Last vet appointment he was between 3 and 4 lbs.

I'd actually love to know how everyone has their litterboxes or whatever set up for their rabbits. I don't have the litterbox set-up I'd like, and while the rabbits don't care, it's driving me insane. They have their own currently because they are not bonded right now. I had to wait a while to even move them into the same room due to a lot of stuff, and I've been looking for new options.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am

Winstalgia wrote:I'd actually love to know how everyone has their litterboxes or whatever set up for their rabbits. I don't have the litterbox set-up I'd like, and while the rabbits don't care, it's driving me insane. They have their own currently because they are not bonded right now. I had to wait a while to even move them into the same room due to a lot of stuff, and I've been looking for new options.

I have a whole room just for them and use the bottom of a small animal cage as their litter box; wanted something bigger as the usual cat litter box as they get their hay there and can comfortably fit inside with lots of space.
Depends on how much space you have I guess? I know a lot use cat litter boxes, because they're pretty small and their bunnies feel safe inside of them.

Here is the Mister while inspecting my cleaning utensils, the way he's shedding is always... interesting. I swear he can look pretty and cute, hahahaha. Sometimes his name is just 'Old Gramps', because he looks like one.
_________ Image

Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:07 pm

Username: The Mean Kitty
Your rabbit's names! (Put 'Future bun owner' if non-owner): Um...there may be too many too name tbh. But a few are Salem, Alice, Elsa, Ballas, Ayanna, Winifred, Tiger Lily, Killian, Cappuccino, Doug, and Wild Thing.

Below is one of my favorite ladies, Anevia, when she was a baby, as well as one of my favorite mice. Seemed fitting with Valentine's around the corner!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bark » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:30 pm

Welcome Raire, winstalgia, and The Mean Kitty!

Winstalgia wrote:I'd actually love to know how everyone has their litterboxes or whatever set up for their rabbits. I don't have the litterbox set-up I'd like, and while the rabbits don't care, it's driving me insane. They have their own currently because they are not bonded right now. I had to wait a while to even move them into the same room due to a lot of stuff, and I've been looking for new options.

Bunnies can be litter trained for sure, but it depends if they WANT to be. XD I've had buns who didn't want to use their tray, so keeping an eye on them 100% was a must. So their cage set-up was traditional BUT with the proper space + exercise through the house. (these were some bunnies my parents had while growing up.)

For my late bun Roxy (My first bun I adopted as an adult) she learned to use her pan when I put some of the used bedding in it. The bunny will smell it, and learns where to eliminate properly.

But for Winnie, they are VERY smart. They started using their tray instantly, no accidents so far as the time of this being posted. I can trust them to roam without an accident.

As for recommendations; We use cat litter boxes, BUT with a raised back/sides. Bunnies tend to lift up their butt when eliminating, so accidents can occur if the pan's sides isn't high enough. Just like a cat box, it needs to be larger than the cat itself. Too many people get the wrong pan by being too small or the sides being too low.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thread update:
The Bun of the month has been posted! Congrats to The Mean Kitty and their bun Anevia!
bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:51 pm

bark wrote:Welcome Raire, winstalgia, and The Mean Kitty!

Thread update:
The Bun of the month has been posted! Congrats to The Mean Kitty and their bun Anevia!

Aww thank you for the welcome and for honoring Anevia and I with bun of the month 😭❤️ I'll have to post a newer photo of her sometime, she just turned a year old recently and is such a sweet little girl!

The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Rabbit Owner chat V3 [New thread!]

Postby Raire » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:34 am

True that @ litter training. I owned six rabbits so far and five of them were litter trained, only one of them didn't... want to, I guess. I owned her for about four years, and tried lots of times and she did use the litter box, but only about ~60% of the time.

@The Mean Kitty
Yes, yes, more pictures please, also from your other buns! =)

Throwback to my little dumb Sir Marshmallow who just couldn't understand how this hay rack works:
_________ Image

Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nervousdog » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:55 pm

i use a high sided cat litterbox, it's lower in the front and higher in the back . i put hay/food in front of the low part so then they potty in the high side and it keeps them from peeing over the edge ( i've had a few litterboxes where he's backed into a corner and peed over the box ) . since he's outside i have in in a plastic dog crate to keep it dry .
he only uses his box and not his dogloo ( which is stuffed with pine shavings and straw, the litter box has pine pellets ) or the dirt .
aquarius ♡ 3oh!3 stan ♡ dog trainer ♡ 5 . 10 . 20
nervousdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:37 am

Raire wrote:@The Mean Kitty
Yes, yes, more pictures please, also from your other buns! =)

Throwback to my little dumb Sir Marshmallow who just couldn't understand how this hay rack works:

Oh I love his name and he himself is also so adorable!!! 😍

So this isn't one of my best photos BUT it is onenof my most recent photos. I thought I would share! This is one of my handsome Harlequin boys alongside one of the matching cupcakes that I made for my fellow rabbit loving friends during a New Years Eve get together. 😂 He is still needing a name, just haven't found the right one yet...anybody have suggestions? 🤔

The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcadia. » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:06 pm

Username: coyote,
Your rabbit's names!: Peter & Penny!!

peter and penny are holland lops, peter is about 5 and penny is about 3(i think)
Image Image

The one of peter is a few years old, btw
arcadia.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me