People who like dogs more than cats, why?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: People who like dogs more than cats, why?

Postby Saiun » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Cats have just as much personality as dogs and I'll die on that hill.

That said, I understand if people prefer dogs as they are more biddable.
MALE / ADULT / LIFE IS WEIRD ... REALLY WEIRD
Saiun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pear » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:31 pm

I'm allergic to cats.. But I also prefer the temperament of dogs. I've had both dogs and cats before, and I just like how dogs are super excited to see me and seem really happy. The cats always came and said hello, but were definitely more independent..I also think my dog is a lot cuter than any cat I've ever seen too x'D
I've never had a cat run up to me and absolutely lose their marbles like my dog does, and it just makes me happy. :3
Pear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Insomniyote » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:37 am

Its all based on personal preference imo.

Me personally I prefer dogs because I cant really trust cats, my bf has a cat and shes...how you say very...bitey... where as my dogs are the chillers animals I've ever been around that and I've been around canines my entire life
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4797641 Check out Plague Chasers Adoption Center
Donations needed

Miss an event pet? Perhaps I have it here,
feel free to take a look around: https://www.chickensmoothie.com/accounts/viewgroup.php?groupid=7850850&userid=859733

Selling tokens @4c$ EACH
Insomniyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saiun » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 pm

^ Haha, yeah, they can be bitey and you have to learn their body language. I have met a cat who never bites, but most of them--the ones I've met, anyway--have some nippiness to them.
MALE / ADULT / LIFE IS WEIRD ... REALLY WEIRD
Saiun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AdamJ » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:03 pm

So Ive had dogs and cats my entire life.
here are my opinions on both
Dogs:
    -Always happy to see you

-Most stereotypical pet breeds will forgive most training mistakes (goldens, labs, etc)

-often less picky eaters

-depending on breed/specific dog, you don't have to "earn" the love of a dog

-can be much more easily trained, and can do much more with (dog sport person here)

-Harder to take care of

-requires bathing, training etc frequently

Cats
    -Throw up frequently if ate something (dog food lol)

-can have "off days" where they just decide to hate you

-I grew up in a family who would only get "pedigree" burmese cats, because they were "more affectionate" they were in fact not. ive known barn cats with more personality then them.

-I like cats, but hate to say it- I don't really like mine(my family's).

-Hold grudges super easily.

-Less work

-cuddles more then my dogs ever will

-stay clean by themselves

So with all that, I have nothing against cats. I would prefer to have both, but if my dog wouldn't get along with cats, i would choose to keep the dog. They help keep me on track because of the amount of work they take, and I cant put my cat in agility or bite work (ive tried agility lol, my male cat would only be decent at obedience..... sit lay and shake is all he knows tho)

Discord | DragC | About Me | ©

⇜◦ ◅☣▻ ◦⇝

I'm Adam Joseph
u can call me Joe.... momma
Been playing off and on since 2013
dms are open
trades are open
I own 3 dogs. they are my world

AdamJ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sp00kEHours » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:17 pm

I used to be a cat person until I lost my emotional support animal of 8 years unexpectedly two days after a vet visit. After she passed, I swore that I would never get another cat, and my last would be her mother (who has since passed) and her sister (who is still alive).

Cats are trainable, but they are more independent and less eager to please. I haven't met a cat yet that doesn't spend almost all day screaming for food, and the litterbox is...gross. I do not like having an animal that goes to the bathroom in my house, and i have no idea if you can even train a cat to go to the bathroom outside-only. Once my cat passes away, I have no intention of getting another one. Cats just don't fit my lifestyle anymore.

I like dogs because they motivate me to get out of bed more, personally. They're more excited to train and compete in sports. My cat isn't harness-trained and has too much anxiety to go on walks, so she can't join us for hiking. I also feel like my dogs care more about where I'm at emotionally than my cat does.

That being said, I have an incredibly cuddly and affectionate cat who does love me. I think for where I'm at in my life right now though, there's just too much I can do with dogs that I don't have the knowledge/drive to do with cats.

Old member just selling pets for art of her ocs
Sp00kEHours

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Okabudge » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:47 am

I actually really love cats and probably would be a cat person if I didn’t have cat allergies. That said, some other things that make me hesitant about cats are the fact that they tend to get the zoomies almost exclusively when you’re trying to sleep. Also I know that it can be managed, but I really can’t stand the smell of cat litter and it tends to get all over the floor.

I’m honestly not a dog person either, simply because they’re so high energy and just as destructive as cats. But if I had to choose, I would take a dog!

budge | he/him | adult
just your average guy trying his best. i draw sometimes!
my inbox is always open if you need anything~
gallery / pets / message
sig source

Image Image Image
Okabudge

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WolfoxForEvr » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:56 am

Ahh! I really can't pick between my kittens or pups!

I do have a dog in real life, Dazey!
She is the best pup ever! (No ofence to your dog)
And i have 4 cats, Jasper, Kit, Hazel and Racer.
I realy can not choose!
Love em' all!
WolfoxForEvr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheMamba » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:57 am

Cats eat the birds in your garden, dogs don't. Cats scratch you all of a sudden after enjoying being pet, dogs don't. Cats are out of the house most of the time, dogs aren't. Dogs actually care about you, cats mostly don't. You are a dog's best friend but your cat's servant. Cats mostly don't listen to any commands and you will have to cat proof your house, otherwise they will knock over things and destroy your toilet paper.
I enjoy caring for two cats I know when their owners are on holiday but I have a dog and would always prefer them over cats. I'd only get cats when a dog wouldn't be an option due to lack of time.
Toyhouse | Art Instagram | Art Shop
Pet's name: Sherwin

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
^ Click them for some free mini whales!
TheMamba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BALTIR » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:45 am

TheMamba wrote:Cats eat the birds in your garden, dogs don't. Cats scratch you all of a sudden after enjoying being pet, dogs don't. Cats are out of the house most of the time, dogs aren't. Dogs actually care about you, cats mostly don't. You are a dog's best friend but your cat's servant. Cats mostly don't listen to any commands and you will have to cat proof your house, otherwise they will knock over things and destroy your toilet paper.
I enjoy caring for two cats I know when their owners are on holiday but I have a dog and would always prefer them over cats. I'd only get cats when a dog wouldn't be an option due to lack of time.

absolutely agree with everything you just said, another point is that cats can transmit toxoplasmosis, including onto humans- so the crazy catlady stereotype actually scientifically runs more true on that end than more people would like to admit or think more about. I also hate the smell of cats. Idk if maybe my family keeps a good clean house esp now that we have a dog again but in my whole life of having dogs, dogs have a specific nice clean grassy type smell (some do at least.)
But with every cat ive met, and every cat owner's house ive been in (which is a lot throughout the years) - I don't wish to be mean but it smells absolutely revolting. Ig that's just the thing u have to deal with tho since cats are typically unable to go do their business outside for the most part.

I think dogs are not free without their faults, and maybe i am biased as my family has only taken care of dogs, but yeah, it all ties down to personal preference.

I just cant with cats as a whole esp their destructive habits that are reinforced by people who think its okay to let their cats go outside and destroy natural fauna. We already have whole lines and generations of bird species destroyed all because people refuse to spay and neuter their cats and at the same time, set them free. Besides that it harms the cats as-well, with many loving cats going getting hit by cars or even worse, missing due to horrible people who are up to no good.
Animator, Character designer, CA 26’. All art on this account is mine, sig is my drawings. [ENG/ARM]
BALTIR

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me