Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby eff » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 am

i dont why people think that crates should not be used as a punishment. i think he barely can lable itself as a punishment. confining the dog in a relaxed enviroment (like a cage) isnt going to make him freak out. i have trained multiple dogd via this method.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

Begging.

From a distance.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Taiger Lilly wrote:Still waiting on the breed results, but the health test results for Olive just updated!
I am happy to say that she is clear for all the genetic diseases Embark tests for. (this means she isn't a carrier for any as well)
The only notable result is this:
Olive has one copy of a mutation associated with reduced ALT activity as measured on veterinary blood chemistry panels. Please inform your veterinarian that Olive has this genotype, as ALT is often used as an indicator of liver health and Olive is likely to have a lower than average resting ALT activity. As such, an increase in Olive’s ALT activity could be evidence of liver damage, even if it is within normal limits by standard ALT reference ranges.

So basically it just changes the way vets should read her bloodwork.

I'm glad to see no MDR1 either, as I was a little nervous considering her suspected breeds.
She doesn't have the form of dwarfism that Embark tests for either.

So glad to hear Olive is in the clear! And interesting since she has such short legs! I'm wondering if she does have some corgi in her after all?

That sounds really useful to. Wondering if I should have my yorkie pup tested since he probably came from bad breeders?

And for those who probably don't know, my mom just randomly gifted him without asking so no I didn't knowingly buy him from a bad breeder.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Firnenfire » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 pm

@people who replied to my post
Thankyou guys for all the responses! I'll probably try using a calm space and rewarding her a lot more for being quieter, and the thundershirt seems like a fantastic idea!
Last edited by Firnenfire on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Alive
More active on Flight Rising.
Gifting as many people as I can <3
Dom/Firnen ImageImageImage +1 CS time
ImageImageImageImageImage
I do commissions for CS pets, FR currency, and IRL currency!
FR {} TH {} IG {} R20
ImageImage
Firnenfire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm

RWBY Rose wrote:
Taiger Lilly wrote:Still waiting on the breed results, but the health test results for Olive just updated!
I am happy to say that she is clear for all the genetic diseases Embark tests for. (this means she isn't a carrier for any as well)
The only notable result is this:
Olive has one copy of a mutation associated with reduced ALT activity as measured on veterinary blood chemistry panels. Please inform your veterinarian that Olive has this genotype, as ALT is often used as an indicator of liver health and Olive is likely to have a lower than average resting ALT activity. As such, an increase in Olive’s ALT activity could be evidence of liver damage, even if it is within normal limits by standard ALT reference ranges.

So basically it just changes the way vets should read her bloodwork.

I'm glad to see no MDR1 either, as I was a little nervous considering her suspected breeds.
She doesn't have the form of dwarfism that Embark tests for either.

So glad to hear Olive is in the clear! And interesting since she has such short legs! I'm wondering if she does have some corgi in her after all?

That sounds really useful to. Wondering if I should have my yorkie pup tested since he probably came from bad breeders?

And for those who probably don't know, my mom just randomly gifted him without asking so no I didn't knowingly buy him from a bad breeder.

Yeah, it is pretty interesting. Embark actually tests for a few things that could cause shortened limbs. Some are more serious but since she is otherwise healthy we never really suspected them; such as Congenital Hypothyroidism, Skeletal Dysplasia 2, Osteochondrodysplasia, Oculoskeletal Dysplasia 1 etc. Again though, these usually come with other syptoms.

The typical short legged phenotype (visual appearance) is chondrodystrophy(cause by the FGF4 retrogene I believe) and I don't think Embark includes it on the health portion of the test. I wanna wait until I get all the results to really dig into it though.

As for Wick, it's really about how much it means to you! It's a pretty steep price in my opinion, especially if you already know what the breed results will look like. Sure the health information is valuable, but testing positive still isnt a diaognosis and you would still have to work with your vet a lot to determine what the results mean (in terms of treatment etc., plus some diseases don't ever express themselves even if the dog tests positive)

If you wanted to go the health testing route I would look around at places that do just health tests/ talk to a vet about what he should be tested for since you may be able to get only the relevant information for a better deal (or maybe not, I haven't really looked at the prices for just health testing).
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Any insight on these?

I got little one containers of each today. haven’t tried the crave yet

He liked the Peak.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Not the dog food, but I was feeding my cat Crave for a while there until a month and a half ago. It's not a bad food! The ingredients are decent and it's more budget friendly than some other brands. I only switched my cat's food from Crave because I found another budget friendly food with ingredients I could get behind ("Abound". I feed him the grain-free Whitefish & Chickpea recipe) but he had no problems on Crave. Healthy skin, coat, and eyes, a lot of energy, seemed to satisfy his appetite and he never acted as though he was still hungry.

I don't know much about RR Nutrish's Peak line though.
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 am

Skysong wrote:Image

Begging.

From a distance.

My dog does this!
We call it "sulking"
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

Oooh my gosh guys the results are in!!!!!
https://embarkvet.com/dog/olive50
Little bit suprised with some of the results haha
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me