Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby tenor » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:55 pm

shadow~wolf wrote:oh love, if you arent comfortable with your dog trainer please dont hesitate to find someone else ASAP! trust your gut. there have been renowned dog trainers where it came out that they were mistreating their dogs behind the scenes. especially if it seems your trainer encourages you to act on anger, like if your dog is pulling, you feel frustrated, so you yank the leash back or shock him. i know you are trying to get your furbaby help, but it may be time to try a different trainer who has different methods, just to see how he does with it. and from the small details youve given about how youre instructed to use the ecollar, it seems unethical and like the dog hasn't been properly conditioned to it, which can cause further problems. like you said, sometimes when using the ecollar to "snap him out of it" it only increases the urge for him to lash out, this can be because this stimulation/discomfort or pain doesnt make sense. causing him to redirect at whatevers making him angry. think about when youre in a car and someone honks near you on a busy street. usually you dont immediately understand what they want you to you, or who it was even meant for. youre kind of left looking around confused, like was that for me? who was that even from?? some dogs can even think that the thing theyre reacting towards is causing the discomfort, and start to heavily associate new dogs or people with that discomfort if used excessively, making it much worse. and not putting anything negative on you whatsoever, but i did notice you used the term "you have to lock him in his cage" when people are over. how much desensitizing have you done with the crate? does he only go in if theres a potential for him to be reactive? is it out where everyone else is or in a private, quiet room?? its so hard to give advice without seeing the dog and with limited information. though it sounds like it wasnt what you wanted, it IS a great thing you considered a trainer first. i can tell you care about your pup and are trying to do whats right.

thank you for the kind words. i am taking everything you've said into mind.
i will respond to your concern with the crating! the "i have to lock him in his cage anytime i have guests over" in the initial post was just what i was instructed to do by my trainer! my goose loves his crate, as he was crate trained as a pup and finds hospitality and comfort in his bed. he will go into it sometimes at night with the door left open. ^^ i just don't want to have to lock him up in there while our little 8 month old captain is able to play with guests outside the crate, it would just make me feel miserable because i know it would probably cause some resentment with goose watching captain get all the attention.
πŸ€ α˜›βΜ€α•α· 🐁
β™‘ rats | orange | romantic β™‘
trades | giveaways | poems
mischief | mini mischief | orange hoard
my cs world record
🐭 🍊 🐭
(goose, purrah, jasmine, captain)
ImageImageImageImage
tenor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kitty teeth » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:08 am

Does anyone here also own a primitive dog? I own a toy (or mini if you use FCI) Xoloitzcuintli. I'd love to talk all things primmie. β™‘
neurodivergent - adult
xxxKitty's Pound
kitty teeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:20 pm

Yes, I have a korean sapsaree! :) She's my first primitive dog and first purebred. I got her in September at about 5 months, and she's 11 months in a couple of days. This is her as of yesterday. ^^ We're in Texas, so we had to take our obligatory bluebonnet photo.
-fireflii

kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oddball1234 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:34 pm

When you finally get him a new bed (orthopedic as well) after he randomly chewed up the bed he's had since he was a puppy and you've been trying for AWHILE now to get him to use it and he won't till finally days later you look over and see this. Guess it took me wrapping a blanket around it for him to take to it.

20240309_14474811.jpg
20240309_14474811.jpg (301.28 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Last edited by oddball1234 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
╔═════════════════════════╗
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β€œAll I can see is my life
flashing before my eyes.
But that’s okay: I always skip
the boring bits.”
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
β–Œ
oddball1234

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tenor » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:11 am

kivr & fireflii wrote:Yes, I have a korean sapsaree! :) She's my first primitive dog and first purebred. I got her in September at about 5 months, and she's 11 months in a couple of days. This is her as of yesterday. ^^ We're in Texas, so we had to take our obligatory bluebonnet photo.
-fireflii

this is an absolutely stunning photo :O i would get that framed in a second. holy macaroni!! she is such a beautiful young lady!
πŸ€ α˜›βΜ€α•α· 🐁
β™‘ rats | orange | romantic β™‘
trades | giveaways | poems
mischief | mini mischief | orange hoard
my cs world record
🐭 🍊 🐭
(goose, purrah, jasmine, captain)
ImageImageImageImage
tenor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swift; » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:01 am

Dexter is enjoying his car ride!
your β–Ίβ–Ίβ–Ί
─────────────.
Image Image

β–‘ β–‘β–‘
───────
sig credit
hi i'm swift; ! dog mom, cat mom,
stepmom of 2, mom of 3. ─── ❀️
swift;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kitty teeth » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:53 am

kivr & fireflii wrote:Yes, I have a korean sapsaree! :) She's my first primitive dog and first purebred. I got her in September at about 5 months, and she's 11 months in a couple of days. This is her as of yesterday. ^^ We're in Texas, so we had to take our obligatory bluebonnet photo.
-fireflii

-snip to shorten, beautiful pup!-

What a gorgeous prim dog!! Have you had any struggles with training? My Xolo seems to be a little bit of a brat (jokingly) currently lol!
neurodivergent - adult
xxxKitty's Pound
kitty teeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alfiq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:29 am

i don't have a purebred primitive but! i'd atleast consider him primitive - adjacent haha. he's half rhodesian ridgeback and his dad's a land-racey looking former street dog. (he was an oopsie baby)

when it comes to training i've really liked the book When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs by Jane Killion and found it a very good read if you can get a hold of it! helped me a lot with the shift from a handler oriented breed to a far more independent one

alfiqβˆ™ adult βˆ™ lesbian
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™
this town IS big enough for the both of us β™₯
BLM
alfiq

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:00 pm

@oddball1234

relatable! my two dogs have three beds, a few rugs and their own crates. the one that was rescued and came from a bad situation as a young guy is grateful to sleep on his dog bed (orthopedic of course :roll: ) and the dog with the easiest life ever takes over my bed and heated blanket every night. almost pushes me off and acts "grumpy" if im stirring too much. it inconveniences her. soooo ungrateful!! LOL

here she is with her blanket and my heated blanket, my pillows too!!
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:37 pm

Thank you for the compliments! ^^

She has actually been very easy to train. She picks up things very quickly and is fairly biddable. Our biggest struggle is her fear of people. The breed is typically wary of strangers, but since I got her at almost 5 months (arranging flight to the US), she missed out on her key socialization window (versus if I lived in South Korea and could get her at 8 weeks). She's very wary of strangers and can be reactive to them, especially if they approach us quickly, and she definitely doesn't like being touched/handled (she has a vet appointment tomorrow, so we'll see how she does 😬😬😬).

What makes it extra tough is that she's very environmentally aware/sensitive, so if she deems something is important to pay attention to, she can be difficult to redirect (hotdog and cheese outright ignored, cooked ground sirloin nibbled and ignored, leftover tonkatsu sometimes okay...). If she were more food motivated/less environmentally cautious, I think it would be much easier.

But for the most part, we are pretty big homebodies, so it doesn't greatly affect my/our lifestyle much. However, I do hope she'll improve as she matures and with more slow, careful socialization, training, desensitization, etc. I would love for her to be able to act as a good ambassador for her breed, but I'm trying not to push it because that's a lot of expectation on a little puppy brain. πŸ˜…
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me