Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Flossie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 am

Taiger Lilly wrote:Mind linking to the post where it is confirmed false?
All I see is a post denying the allegations.

While I agree that the group behind the lawsuit (Clean Label Project) isn't very trustworthy and definitly needs more proof, a facebook post by Champion Pet Foods saying "No they're wrong, just trust us" isn't proving them to be false. Most companies deny these kinds of allegations when faced with lawsuits, for example Blue Buffalo.

That said if I did feed one of their foods or wanted to switch I wouldn't be dettered by the lawsuit until it actually sees a courtroom, anyone can file a lawsuit.

Ah, must’ve read it wrong then. Think they said about a misinterpretation about the numbers? Something along those lines. Edited my original post, apologies. ^
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 am

mokuroh wrote:
don't mean to cause a fight, but, (not regarding any trainer in particular) just because someone has trained dogs for a long time, doesn't mean that the methods are in the dog's best interest/ the best for the dog.

^^ Cesar Milan has been training dogs for a long time but does that mean he's right?

--snip

I think you missed the not regarding any trainer in particular
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 am

As someone that has used a starmark correction collar and has administered corrections via prong collar(s) to friend(s) dogs... there was night and day between the reaction of a properly placed prong high on the neck and an ill fitted one. All of the properly fitted dogs didnt noitice the prong or starmark unless corrected then I got a "hey, wait, watcha want?" with out breaking stride vs ill fitted prong seemed constantly nervy of self correcting.

Now I do actually agree, somewhat, on point placement. The prongs shouldnt actually go across the trachea. Same with starmarks, when I use it I keep the contact points off the trachea and instead around the side and back. They do make prongs designed to avoid the trachea and apply 0 pressure to it. Image

Im actually not a huge proponate of tools unless nessicery and my personal choice is not to use prong collars unless I have ahold of someone elses dog and they instruct me to. I much much much prefer a starmark if I need a correctional collar. They are more gentle and fool proof. When place high on the throat and tightened to avoid slipping you have to take into account your dogs neck shape. The points should NEVER be digging in, just resting like a normal fitted collar. Sometimes a wide 2in collar is used to keep placement up if a dog is between sizes. Prong links also come in various sizes with the smaller links being way easier to fit properly and most recommend the smaller links anyways as the correction is lighter and more even.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:23 am

@Flossie No problem, and to be fair they do seem to be very thorough in testing their own food, and use reputable labs so it's easy to make the conclusion that the allegations are 100% false. Of course there's always the very very small chance that something did go wrong in some of their batches and the tests didn't catch it etc.

It could also be their marketeting promises that make them a target. I think one of the BB lawsuits involved their "True Blue Promise" that they have superior ingredients/nuitrition. Basically, if they mess up could see more issues than companies just claiming to make generic balanaced dog food, since they promised higher quality.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 am

halogen. wrote:
I would like proof that keeping it low and loose with NO prongs on the dogs throat while using it is dangerous. What’s the use of a correctional tool if it’s contantly correcting the dog, even when it’s doing the right thing. If it’s tight enough to stay up right behind the ears, yes it’s constantly correcting the dog.

https://www.dogfoodinsider.com/prong-collar-training/

A quote from the website :

By far, the most common misuse of a prong collar is improper fitting of the collar. A prong collar is specially designed so as to not cause physical harm or inflict pain. Unlike a choke chain or choke collar, a prong collar is designed to create an equal amount of pressure all the way around the dogs neck. Think of it like a person lying down on a bed of nails. No physical harm is done because of equal distribution. Further, a prong collar is designed so that it will only close a maximum of about 2 inches to a maximum of 4 inches (you choose how much it closes – we’ll get to that in a minute). By comparison, a choke chain causes an enormous amount of pressure on the front of the neck and will also close as far as your dogs throat and esophagus will allow. Not good! You wouldn’t guess by looking at the photos below, but the choke chain on the left is far more likely to cause your dog physical harm and pain. Again, a properly used prong collar will not choke or harm your dog!

the two parts I've put in bold :

"a prong collar is designed to create an equal amount of pressure all the way around the dogs neck."
    - By having it loose, it will cause a sharp pain to the side.
    - having it loose, sudden corrections will just bruise the dog's neck

"Again, a properly used prong collar will not choke or harm your dog!"
    - You said that its constantly correcting the dog, no it isn't. If fitted properly,
    it will be snug on the neck NOT tight. The prong will be resting gently on the
    neck and you only have to correct softly and then the dog will feel a bit more pressure.

another website :
    http://www.valorzen.com/training-blog/prong

"​Fitting The Collar – The collar should fit high under the ears and snuggly under the jaw. If the collar is too loose or the links are an incorrect size this is when damage can be caused. If you have any questions – ASK before using."

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 am

how cute can one dog be :^)
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fascai » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:57 pm

So I'm playing the waiting game right now and am in that spot where I could maybe, possibly be getting another dog. It's not exactly what I'd originally been planning, but the opportunity came about and it's something I wanted to consider. Now I play the waiting game (I'm hoping to know tomorrow, as it's already been extended from knowing on Wednesday) if the program has a dog they match me with. During the waiting process I've been hoarding extra dog supplies and filling online shopping carts (mainly Etsy oops).

Anyone have any good Etsy shops they like? Or have any favorite dog products you think I should know about? I'd love to hear!

In other news! My boyfriend and I will be going up to the shelter that I adopted Opie from tomorrow. I've got a few things laying around that I need to donate. Of course while I'm there we're going to check out all of the dogs, so I'll try and take some pictures while we're there!
Fascai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juliall » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm

I am so beyond frustrated...we thought for the past few months Daisy's issues were caused by her kindeys, so we ran an SDMA Tuesday annnnd that came back fine. Her kidney's are fine. She's fine. Something is wrong with her bladder.

I currently have her on Hills CD but another vet in the practice is wanting me to switch to Royal Canin SO....I cannot afford that food. I don't know what to do and I feel like I'm failing Daisy and just feeling kind of crappy about myself.
juliall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:25 pm

juliall wrote:I am so beyond frustrated...we thought for the past few months Daisy's issues were caused by her kindeys, so we ran an SDMA Tuesday annnnd that came back fine. Her kidney's are fine. She's fine. Something is wrong with her bladder.

I currently have her on Hills CD but another vet in the practice is wanting me to switch to Royal Canin SO....I cannot afford that food. I don't know what to do and I feel like I'm failing Daisy and just feeling kind of crappy about myself.

I’ve heard RC isn’t a good food brand...? I could be wrong, though.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 am

Hills c/d and Royal Canin SO are both specificially developed prescription diets. They are formulated and tested to treat and prevent medical issues.
For example they might have strict limits on certain minerals, add salt to increase water consumtion to dilute urine, and ingredients to control urine pH and dissolve crystals.

Execpt for the most extreme types of people, those that criticize Royal Canin and Hills normal food generally accept that their prescrption diets are a special case since they are pretty much medicine?
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me