Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am

taikunfoo wrote:@Imzadi83

First off thank you so much for taking the time to type everything out, I really, really appreciate it.

Thank you for pointing that out about the martingale collars. By too much freedom, what do you mean? Are you talking more about keeping them limited to one room and letting them settle in, slowly giving them more and more run of the house, and like you said, keeping them in a crate when you're not able to directly observe them? I hadn't thought about leaving shoes and things out, thank you for bringing that up.

There's a really amazing rescue in my area that I'm hoping to get a dog from, but it's on the smaller side with a relatively fast turn over (they're pretty good at getting dogs adopted out). I'll give them a heads up that I'm looking for a dog this upcoming summer, thank you for the idea.

I'm planning on living with my best friend, who has two small dogs and a cat, so whether or not I foster an animal will be up to him and his pets, but it will also give me some experience living with his pets as well :) I can always wait to get a dog after I move in with him, although I know I'll have more free time to give to a new dog before then.

Thank you for the links, I'm looking them over. I don't have too much of a set idea what the rules will be quite yet, but one thing I'm worried about is the rules in my house vs another house. I don't mind the dog on my furniture, but I know that my mother would not be happy if I brought a dog over and it hopped up on her couch.

I was thinking of trying to make up a list or something if I notice things I want to work on when I bring the dog home, and clicker training is something I definitely want to do.

My best friend who I'm planning on living with already wipes his dogs' paws when they come in, and it's something I'm planning on doing as well. I hadn't thought about sunblock, but it makes sense. Some of the horses in the barn I work at need it on their noses in the summer, so it's just like with them or people.

I'm planning on giving the dog the flea/tick preventative medicine, but would a comb or brush help after they come in to pick off any that come in on their fur?

I know of two amazing vets in my area, although I don't know about any emergency ones in the area, I'll look that up, and good call about knowing how to get there in the event of an emergency. You're right, if something happens I'll be focused on the dog and distracted.

I have some supplies set aside as well as a human first aid kit in the event of an emergency already, but I'll add some extra water and dog food to that. One of my previous internships was in emergency management so I can get the preparation down :)

Pet insurance was something I was looking into, and I didn't know that you could get a quote before adopting the dog, I'll definitely do that. I was planning on having 1-2k set aside for an emergency, and I already have a good chunk of money saved up for the dog right now that I'm adding to.

Thank you again for your wonderful response and the resources that you listed out, I've bookmarked them and I'll be looking at them over the coming months.

In regards to freedom, yes, I mean exactly that. It's fine to have them loose in the house if you're supervising, but don't be in your bedroom while they're wondering around. This is especially true since it sounds like you'll be living with other animals, fights can happen very quickly and you don't want a bad association between them.

If you're sure you're going to be moving in with your friend and his pets soon it might be best to wait on getting a dog until you do. Moving can be very stressful and bringing a dog that's been living with you alone into a home with other animals may prove more difficult then bringing one into the home with other animals in the first place. Regardless you should let the rescue know your plans and bring your friends' dogs over to meet your potential new pet. Just because a dog is dog friendly doesn't mean they get along with every other dog. I don't think there is a clear right or wrong choice, but it's something to think about. If you do get the dog while you're still alone maybe you can schedule some play dates at both places so all the animals get used to sharing their space.

Also here's a link about introducing dogs to cats http://www.littlebigcat.com/behavior/cat-to-dog-introductions/ Personally I would not feel comfortable leaving my dog alone with the other animals for at least six months, but maybe never. When in doubt it is always safest to have your dog safely put away when you're not there to supervise them with the other animals.

As far as the couch goes I recommend training your dog that it is only allowed on the couch when invited by you. Otherwise provide a comfy dog bed nearby and reward it for laying there. While you're teaching the dog to get on the couch when invited you can also teach it to get off when asked. And remember that dogs don't generalize well, so while he may have this down pat at home, he will need a refresher and supervision when at Grandma's. And don't forget the comfy bed nearby, if you think your Mom might resist the dog bed try to get something that matches her décor/taste.

A fine toothed comb will be great for getting things out of their fur, including ticks, but you'll need to know how to remove ticks once they've attached to the dog as well. The sooner you get them off the less chance there is for a transfer of disease. Ticks release chemicals into the dog that numbs the area so as upsetting as it might be to you to remove them it likely won't hurt the dog. Practice handling exercises in general can make it go easier. I use a tick stick http://shop.mercola.com/product/268/1/tick-stick-tick-removal-tool-1-unit, there's also the tick key https://smile.amazon.com/Tick-Key-Remover-Assorted/dp/B000R1D3KQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516144384&sr=8-2&keywords=tick+key, but I think tweezers work just fine as well. Feel free to ask your vet how to remove ticks.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 am

d. frost wrote:
    1. so my dog Lexi really loves snow, and today we got a lot of snow so she was super happy running around and eating snow.

2. what are all your guys' opinions on pomeranians? I've always wanted one and am trying to convince my parents. note that my dog,
    Lexi, is an Alaskan Malamute.

Poms are cute !! But can be nippy and loud dogs !
    They're also pretty stubborn ;o

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Dog Food Recall Alert

Just Food For Dogs Dog Food Recall of January 2018 https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/just-food-for-dogs-dog-food-recall-january-2018/
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:01 pm

This is my come back post. An angry post.

Okay so my brother is making me more and more angry at him.

Thor and Gizmo had a spat last week, Gizmo got hurt, we're giving him his prescribed pain meds until we can get him in to the vet, but because of ice it's not been safe for us to drive. My mom told my brother to leave Gizmo in the kennel until we get him to the vet as he's favoring one side and it looks like it might be a cracked rib or two. We don't know. We can't get him to the vet safely for the net couple of days due to ice.

My brother the past two nights has been taking Gizmo into his room, leaving the kennel in the living room and letting his injured dog sleep in the bed with him.

/beginsarcasm
My brother the A+ dog owner.
Painting Thor out to be the bad dog in the situation as it wasn't an unprovoked spat but in my brothers eyes it was unprovoked and tells everyone who comes into the house it's, "Thor attacked Gizmo and he's hurt and he didn't do anything" in a full blown staged panic attack to make people feel bad for him. I was in the room when it happened. Gizmo walked over to Thor and snapped at Thors face when my brother wasn't paying attention to his dog. But no, my dog is the aggressive one. The second most passive dog in the house is the aggressive one. /endsarcasm
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:41 pm

this is my girl gretta. we've had her for six years, a goldendoodle. i love her to pieces. she only ever really had problem as a puppy, with potty training and demand barking when we ate but these behaviors quickly subsided before the one year mark. now she is literealy the chillest dog ever with no health issues or nothing. sleeps all day, gets a big run in the afternoon, and sleeps some more in the afternoon, haha. she is so loving and see's herself as part of the family, watching tv with us, wanting to hold hands. i couldn't have asked for a better dog. can't believe she'll be seven this year! congrats on your new pup @middy, so cute! i saw the post you made and that night i had a dream we got a border collie that looked just like your new one and her name was luna, haha! adorable!
Attachments
IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 113 times
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:04 am

Olive's saliva made it safe to the lab, now just gotta wait 1-2 months for the results (but I've heard that some people got the results back after 2 weeks so here's hoping)
If I'm still feeling up to it I think I might do a little giveaway/contest/game (on the free adoptions board of course) with prizes for guessing the breeds.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 am

d. frost wrote:

what are all your guys' opinions on pomeranians? I've always wanted one and am trying to convince my parents. note that my dog, Lexi, is an Alaskan Malamute.

based on my experience, pomeranians aren't for everyone and definitely require a certain type of owner in order for both the dog and human to have a really positive relationship. that isn't to say they won't bond with you if you're "not the type", but i find it makes things more difficult. there are of course exceptions to this, as always!

like rwby rose mentioned, they tend to choose favorites, aha. if you play the biggest role in your pom's life (ex: primary caregiver: feed them, walk them, play with them, bring them to the vet, clip their claws, bathe them, clean them, train them, etc...) chances are, they'll form a heavier bond with you than anyone else in the household.

my aunt has only ever owned pomeranians - and i'm talking literally. she has never had any breed but a pomeranian from the day she was born. just last year, her elderly pom passed away. she currently has two pomeranians: a black one and a cream/white/tan one. i briefly (about a month or so) fostered two pomeranians from the same litter when i was a bit younger, and i visit my aunt's house frequently and have grown to love her dogs. although i've never actually owned one for myself, i'd say i do have much experience with them. although, someone who has owned one for a long time might be able to help you out better than i can.

i can tell you this much: pomeranians bark and yap and whine and whimper. a lot. i can't speak for every single pompom, evidently, but the majority do. the siblings i fostered only ever barked, and there hasn't been a single pom my aunt has had that hasn't done the same. i don't know if your current dog, lexi, does this, so i'm not sure if you'd be used to this or totally surprised.

one thing to note is that they have a lot of energy... "bed time? what's bed time?" -said every pomeranian ever. i'm not just talking about puppies, either. as they grow older they'll mellow down, but they're known for their pent up energy. because of this, they're likely to take on dogs 10 times their size. somewhat like chihuahuas in that sense, really. and by "take on", i don't mean attack, but rather attempt to boss them around and/or play too aggressively.

now, i'm not sure if my aunt just spoils her dogs rotten or if this is an actual breed trait, but they can be quite needy and will yap if they do not get their way. i'm sure this can be trained out of them though, and this likely isn't every pomeranian!

i think with age, as i mentioned previously, they mellow down a bit and can be great lap doggos...when they want to be, aha!

i'm presuming you're already accustomed to the grooming steps required, as you have an alaskan malamute.

another thing i noticed is that they aren't always great with kids, and you need to make sure your pom is introduced to them at a young age. i've seen my niece bit by my aunt's (her great aunt) dogs multiple times. she probably had it coming, but i'm just letting you know ahead of time that they're not always the most patient of dogs.

i highly recommend training your puppers from the get-go, otherwise it might grow up to have some yappy tendencies.

i think poms make wonderful additions! they're fun, adorable, quirky, and can be bundles of joy. c: i hope i helped, and good luck! *note: all dogs are individuals with their own personalities. the above knowledge acquired from my own experience doesn't cover all pomeranians.*'

awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:29 am

Ive been stretched really thin recently and havent had a chance to really be around.

Sardonyx had a vet visit Monday where she got a yearly work up and we went ahead and had her spayed. I wanted to keep her intact longer but she made it until 2 years old, which is generally my personal requirement lol, and with family living with us and Sentry being an intact male.. I cant trust folks in the house to follow my directions when she goes into heat next time. I can easily crate and rotate, keep an eagle eye, etc as can my husband but throw in well meaning family... yeah no. We nearly had an incident with her last heat as I got stuck at my tattoo shop far longer than I thought itd take and family let them out to go potty and family couldnt remember if they went out together or seperate. It was seperate but.. how do you not remember?!

She got a glowing review from staff and on her chart shes in great shape... except heartworm positive. Ive had time to process but I was devastated. Got her history and we either got extremely unlucky using preventative or shes been carrying them since we got her. Until recently most vets in our area used a filter test; the test would detect heartworms in the llarval stage. Dogs on prevention can easily pass these as prevention kills the larval stage while still carrying adult worms. Now they use a test that detects a hormone the adult female worm puts off. She has a medium load which is probably several active female worms.

A routine vax, check up, and spay has turned into a $1,000 vet bill. : throws confetti:. For the next month she will be on doxycycline twice a day. Heartworms share a symbiotic relationship with an organism that aids in most of its functions including reproduction. A high prolonged dose of doxy kills these organisms and renders adult heartworms weakened and infertile. From there she gets a shot of medication to kill the adult worms and stays with the vet, later two more shots and two more over nights. Its a 6 month process and Im leaving stuff out but thats the treatment gist. Hurray.

Its like... you do everything right and still get slapped.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 am

Nutrition question.

I want to start giving Spade and Xeno something to help keep their teeth clean. Xeno got a dental and his teeth need to stay clean after that. I'm thinking chicken feet? But my real question is: Will giving that(raw) while they are in kibble diet mess with their digestive systems? I really don't want to deal with anything runny or explosive if you get what I mean..

Any other suggestions/ help is appreciated!

Happy Spade!

fast slim doggo doing a zoom

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm

that moment when you realize you and your best friend started drawing at the same time and you do this and she does this with two years of art school T.T i've been wanting her to do loki for forever but she's always busy with art. the boys are good. loki doesn't want to go outside because its been in the 30s and 40s at home.

eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me