Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Haagen-Daagen » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 am

Marking for now!

Do you own characters designed by me? (old username is 4dogowner) PM me! I'd love to draw art of some of my older designs, free of charge. <3
Toyhou.se
"Being courageous isn't the same as being fearless; it is doing what's right even when you're scared to death."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
"You are never a failure until you begin blaming your mistakes on someone else."
"Joy is a fully loaded magazine and a puppy."
Haagen-Daagen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:55 am

woo, new thread!

Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 am

@rose.bloom
That's not how it works. How about stating some reasons why you think she is a good breeder? And just like CKC means nothing AKC can mean nothing too because while the AKC does try to stop BYB within their registry (like limiting how many puppies can be fully registered with full breeding rights a year and how many litters a female can have), that doesn't always stop it.

@Cardinal
Ahh, he got to huge! Is it weird that I still remember your very first post of him in the box with a towel??! I'm glad he got such a great home!
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:10 am

So here in my state, we got some snow.

I put Lilly out in it last night to go to the bathroom and she holds her paw up and looks around like "the heck is this??" and honestly she looked like Bambi in the snow.

If it wasn't so dark I would have taken a picture :lol:
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:12 am

mark ~

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
Lmarani wrote:^ i agree. if they are bred responsibly i think its all good.

The thing is the very act of breeding for the purpose of making pets is irresponsible. Most all breeder who breed for show/work have pet quality puppies anyway. And there is over a million of pet quality dogs euthanized every year in the US alone. Breeding the same quality of dog that is found in shelters/rescues in danger of being killed solely for over population is...

Sorry cut off some of your quote by mistake. It’s to early for this lol.

I don’t believe that breeding for a good quality companion dog that is health tested and carefully though out what breeds go into it along with placing puppies into responsible homes is irresponsible. If the breeder follows all the same guides of a purebred breeder having their dogs not only as companion bred but doing some sport with their dogs I don’t see anything wrong honestly. A well bred companion mix dog from an ethical breeder is not the same as a shelter dog.

How does that work. breeding for a dog that can jump hurdles and grab a ball and run back to owner (Flyball) is ok but breeding for healthy companion animals makes you a BYB?

While there are plenty of purebred pet quality dogs same can be said about working,hunting, and sport why go with a mix at all why not stick with a purebred.

We go with mixes because it’s something that we specifically want same can be said about companion bred mix dogs.

This isn’t just aimed at doodles.

Majority of designer breeders are bad or very unethical breeders but that doesn’t mean there are no ethical companion dog mix breeders ever.

(I’m all over the place with this I’m sorry still on my phone. it’s my opinion not trying to be rude.)edited I meant hurdles sp? Not weaves lol
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmic-quark » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:34 am

Harlow. wrote:
Its freezing where I live, And We have Quite A bit of snow, But my dog is A crazy man who needs His energy Released! Fun indoor game recommendations? And Anybody have any dog coat recommendations??

He's adorable! I'm not sure if this is really an indoor game, but we got a tail teaser for my five month old golden and it's doing wonders for burning off energy. It really depends on how much room you have inside- if your dog's anything like mine, he'll probably bump into a lot of things chasing it around. We usually end going out to the backyard for a half hour or so. The dog in the video is fairly mellow, but my dog's more high energy and he runs in crazy fast circles around me trying to get it. Even a solid 15 minutes tuckers him out and he's calm for the rest of the day.

A treat dispenser might also work. I don't have any personal experience with them, but something like this or this could work. He'll tire himself just chasing it around the house. If you're looking for something to occupy him (though not necessarily burn off energy), a kong toy or a rawhide could also work. Fair warning though- all of these toys are food-based so you'd have to monitor his intake and make sure he's not eating too much (especially with the rawhide). Hope this helped!
          ImageImageImageImageImageImage
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          cosmic-quark
          she/her aro ace
          future astrophysicist
          Buying characters!
          Design Contest!
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
cosmic-quark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 am

New post means that Toby and Edgar's faces have to grace it! (; It'll have to be their Christmas photos since those are the most recent I have at the moment!

Toby insisted on half squinting like he didn't really want his photo taken, haha

My guy Edgar is handsome as ever, even as he has began greying
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 am

Chewie has arrived! Showing off that even pet dogs don’t have to be fat! Considering how hard it is to exercise him due to him being stranger reactive, there’s really no excuse for all the obese dogs I see, especially aussies. Barring medical issues of course!

Chewie mainly does a lot of trick training to work his brain, some indoor fetch, playing out on the longline (fence is down lol) and bike rides when the weather is nice (which he’s been off of for my health for the past few months so he’s lacking his usual muscle rn)

So let’s see some photos showing off fit or pet weight dogs? Preferably photos you can actually see their shape! What do y’all do to keep them lean?
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 am

halogen. wrote:

@Cardinal
Ahh, he got to huge! Is it weird that I still remember your very first post of him in the box with a towel??! I'm glad he got such a great home!

Hes probably pushing 30lbs now and while still a scrawny young boy hes VERY solid. Its quite deceptive.

Its not weird at all <3. Sometimes I want to put him back in that box... and shut the lid... and send it somewhere else..

But in all seriousness its SO NICE to have a FUN dog again. Lucky is pushing pyramind building age and Sardonyx is.. well.. the perfect dog for most people. Content and fullfilled with a pat on the head, a cushy bed, and a semi-decent regular meal. Shes quiet, unintrusive, listens first time and every time.. a GOOD PET.
Im not content and fullfilled with a good pet, lol. Sentry, above all, is a great dog. He loves to cuddle and knows when to turn off. He plays very nicely with me and loves a hard game of fetch or tug without becoming obsessive, when the games over its over and he doesnt bark/nip/etc over the toy. Hes generally dog and people friendly BUT doesnt tolerate rudeness or unfairness (and he has a high sense of whats fair) and will not hesitate to use his teeth to voice his displeasure (mother in law has felt his teeth for yelling at him after we warned her not to). Hes incredibly intelligent, generally uses it for evil, but at his core wants to please and be a good boy.. He just likes to push the envelope to see what I will actually tolerate. All things are solved with his head one way or another, if puzzle solving doesnt work he just brute strengths it, lol. Hes confidant, jarringly so sometimes, and will fite u. Confidance and bullheadedness leads to a dog that readily throws himself towards noises in the woods that are probably coyotes and oh my god come back here you satelite headed dweeb. Or no you may not fight the unknown car pulling inti the driveway, stop circling it with your tail flagging and hackles up. He has a good helping of prey drive but outside of us telling him not to smoosh the cats 10x a day hes good with animals in the house.

Image No Sen, you can not have the ornaments or chew the tree.

Image His first snow. We explored my neighbors 10 acres (with permission, lol) and he had a blast throwing himself into the thick woods. He was checking on me before darting back into the undergrowth after rabbit trails.

Image Doberfriend braved the snow with us.

Image I needed that..
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery