Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:29 am

I have a feeling if Oppie needed RC, he wouldn’t eat it. He barely eats his Blue Buffalo. 🙄😂
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 am

.Middy: Oh my gosh, Kes is so small! I know you've said it a few times but it's crazy to see just how tiny she is. That or O is just bigger than I'm thinking. I don't think I've ever met a border collie before but my Aunt use to own an Aussie so I thought I had an idea of her size. XD

Wick was on Blue buffalo when I first got him and he didn't like it to the point of starving himself... I think he just likes any food that isn't his though because he tries stealing Maggie's (my SO's 19 yr old dog) food and he's on the same brand just the puppy/toy breed version. :p

So far we tried him on:
Blue buffalo
Natures recipe (made his poop hard)
Science diet (current food)

Might try him on Fromm or orijen next.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:51 am

he started running towards me... so he looks odd

That solid brown dog barking he kept having relay races with....

Never beat the dog. The dog was in amazing shape for its back giving out, I was shocked.

Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 am

My dad is mad at orijen because of the whole lawsuit thing so he went out and bought a bag of the nutro wholesome essentials chicken flavour.. Is this food any good?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:10 am

Nutro brand anything has made every single one of my animals sick.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eagledawg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:28 am

fluffycat6 wrote:My dad is mad at orijen because of the whole lawsuit thing so he went out and bought a bag of the nutro wholesome essentials chicken flavour.. Is this food any good?

Krapple (aka kibble) in general is terrible. If your animals are at all valuable, I'd suggest either raw or home cooked honestly. Any brand can have a recall, anytime, and I just don't trust krapple anyway seeing as how processed it is.
eagledawg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:45 am

eagledawg wrote:
fluffycat6 wrote:My dad is mad at orijen because of the whole lawsuit thing so he went out and bought a bag of the nutro wholesome essentials chicken flavour.. Is this food any good?

Krapple (aka kibble) in general is terrible. If your animals are at all valuable, I'd suggest either raw or home cooked honestly. Any brand can have a recall, anytime, and I just don't trust krapple anyway seeing as how processed it is.

While I will always advocate raw, a properly balanced raw diet takes a lot of research and time, and some prepackaged raw diets are expensive. There's a reason vets don't like raw diets - they most of see unbalanced raw, and dogs that have been given bones that are too big/heavy or too small, or have not been chewed properly. It isn't something to jump straight into.
    If I were you, I'd show your dad Champion Foods statement on FB. They own Orijen and Acana - the lowdown is that the traces of heavy metals are low, and will have no affect on your dog. The Clean Label Project is a shifty group that do not show their own science, whereas Champion have always been honest and open.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eagledawg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:55 am

Keriae wrote:
eagledawg wrote:

While I will always advocate raw, a properly balanced raw diet takes a lot of research and time, and some prepackaged raw diets are expensive. There's a reason vets don't like raw diets - they most of see unbalanced raw, and dogs that have been given bones that are too big/heavy or too small, or have not been chewed properly. It isn't something to jump straight into.
    If I were you, I'd show your dad Champion Foods statement on FB. They own Orijen and Acana - the lowdown is that the traces of heavy metals are low, and will have no affect on your dog. The Clean Label Project is a shifty group that do not show their own science, whereas Champion have always been honest and open.

Why own a dog if you can't be bothered to feed them properly? Research into diet should have happened before ever bringing home said animal. Kibble is not an appropriate substitute.
eagledawg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:03 am

Keriae wrote:
eagledawg wrote:

eagledawg wrote:Why own a dog if you can't be bothered to feed them properly? Research into diet should have happened before ever bringing home said animal. Kibble is not an appropriate substitute.

Kibble is the world we live in. Other than that, raw can be expensive and time consuming. On top of vet bills and in general real life, many people either do not have the funds to do full raw, or do not have the space. That is the world we live in. Most don't know it exists, and then there are the myths around it - that it is dangerous; that it will pass disease and infection to the young, old and frail; that it will turn dogs bloodthirsty. Those of us who know about raw diets know this is not true, and as long as hygiene practices are followed, infection will not occur.
    Not to mention it looks like fluffycat6 is not in charge of their dog's diet. Changing to raw would be their dad's decision, so maybe he should do the research? But that is up to him.
    A good quality kibble is better than a bad quality one, and is better than an unbalanced raw diet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Demonising people for feeding kibble is not how you change people's minds to raw. Kibble has been made and designed to give a dog the nutrients it needs.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eagledawg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 am

Here's a nice thought, though: maybe don't buy an animal if you can't afford to meet all of its needs. That's all I have to really say. Especially if said animal is just a pet; pets are a luxury, not a necessity.
eagledawg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me