STOP DECLAWING

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby help. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Queenie! wrote:A big part of the issue lies in the fact that a lot of vets simply don't explain the procedure as well as they should. Most of the people declawing their cats are, as stated earlier, parents of newborns who don't want their cat to hurt their child, or in some cases people who don't want their cat to claw their expensive furniture. They don't do much research on it because they don't know any better, and the vets don't explain either because they don't want to scare away a customer, or because they just assume the owners know what's going on. A considerable portion of what a vet office makes in a year comes from people bringing in cats to be declawed, or dogs to be cropped and docked.

although i don't fully support declawing, i do disagree with this statement about veterinarians. i myself want to become a vet, and have had some experience working with vets. i can assure, most vets go into detail when explaining procedures.
one reason why they do is because, at least modernly, many people choose to become vets due to love for animals, rather than for money. vets make significantly less money than doctors, and many doctors tend to bypass animal surgery or nursing jobs due to the minimal pay. it takes a pretty passionate person to want to do important surgeries for less money, at least i think so.
another reason why is because the complications with any surgery. vets have to disclose that infection can occur in declawing (or any other surgery), and that there is a chance the claw can grow back. in order to explain why the claw can grow back, they have to explain that a bone is being cut off.
many vets today also don't support declawing. in some countries, like australia and england (i believe), it's actually illegal to declaw a cat, unless it's for a legit medical reason, like a serious infection or a tumor.
overall, i'm just trying to show you that it's not necessarily a vet's fault that people are uninformed. people don't take responsibility to research these things, and are just overall lazy pet owners. (that being said, i don't hate people with declawed cats)
basically, i just thing pet owners need to take the responsibility of having an animal more seriously, and stop blaming things on "lack of info" (use google), or their doctor (get another opinion).
ɪ ᴍᴀy ʙᴇ ᴀ ᴘʀᴇᴛᴛy
Image
Image
Image
but turns out i'm
actually a pretty
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
help.
 
Posts: 5100
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:58 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Ice and Fire » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:29 pm

People often mistakenly believe that declawing their cats is a harmless "quick fix" for unwanted scratching. They don't realize that declawing can make a cat less likely to use the litter box or more likely to bite. Declawing also can cause lasting physical problems for your cat. - a statement i found on the internet

Also can people stop saying mean stuff to GenocideStarlight Its not her fault her cat is declawed
Image
User avatar
Ice and Fire
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Xuoit » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:32 pm

I honestly think it's stupid to compare a cat's hand to a human's
A cat doesn't use their hand for every day stuff, if a human's finger was cut it would look very unnatural and odd, since there'd be no fingernail, and they wouldn't be able to hold stuff
I just get annoyed with comparisons like that, I don't think it's that good to declaw them. Even if it's a small chance for an infection, if everyone got their cats declawed several will end up with it. No claws can also make a cat feel less free and they won't be able to climb stuff that easily which is one of the things that makes then happy
xxxxx
xxx
.....
𝒽𝒶𝓉𝑒.
..ιт'ѕ נυѕт
.αиσтнєя
ωσя∂ fσя
.ѕσмєσиє
уσυ 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒𝒹
..вυт уσυ
иσ ℓσиgєя
вєℓιєνє
ιи ...













┏──── (»--Xuoit--«) ────┓
........She/They | ♈ | EN/FR
.....hi there, im on and off active on
.....here due to school and other
.....things, but i still log on every day
.....to look at stuff. i joined in 2016
.....and know a lot about this game
.....so my inbox is always open if
.....you want to ask something ! ^^


...» trades ° ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ° ... ° sig art ° adopts «
┖─────────────────┚

Image
User avatar
Xuoit
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Lonin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:54 pm

help. wrote:many vets today also don't support declawing. in some countries, like australia and england (i believe), it's actually illegal to declaw a cat, unless it's for a legit medical reason, like a serious infection or a tumor.

c: Declawing is illegal outside of medical necessity in loads of countries. It's basically just the US that still routinely does it. It's banned in 22 countries and only very rarely done in several more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychecto ... _practices
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Image
User avatar
Lonin
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:11 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Harlow. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:46 am

How Would I convince My father to not declaw My kitten?
I just recently got a kitten,, Well My dad got a kitten? But He lives In my room, I feed the kitten, I clean the kittens litter box so On so forth.. But He wants to declaw the poor kitten and I don't know How to stop him?? I don't wan't my baby going through the pain of a declaw and He definetly does not have Any problems with scratching anything so i don't see why he even has this idea?

Anyways, I like to ramble as you may see. Just wan'ted to get tips on changing his mind...
I'm just a really annoying
really stupid Unwanted Worthless Idiot.

Hi.
User avatar
Harlow.
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby NightFlame22 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:53 am

Harlow. wrote:
How Would I convince My father to not declaw My kitten?
I just recently got a kitten,, Well My dad got a kitten? But He lives In my room, I feed the kitten, I clean the kittens litter box so On so forth.. But He wants to declaw the poor kitten and I don't know How to stop him?? I don't wan't my baby going through the pain of a declaw and He definetly does not have Any problems with scratching anything so i don't see why he even has this idea?

Anyways, I like to ramble as you may see. Just wan'ted to get tips on changing his mind...

I'm pretty sure cats have to be a certain age to be declawed, so you might still have some time to convince him if your kitten is still very young. I'd do some research, show him some alternatives maybe? I'm gonna advertise the claw caps again but I do love them X3 Plus you probably don't have to wait until he's a certain age to put them on, so that'd be a plus. I dunno what other options are out there, but you should definitely look and see!
Image
┌────────┐

































└────────┘
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔═════════════════════════╗


x
Hiya! The name's NightFlame, but most call me Night or Flame.
I'm just an exciteable person who loves art and dragons!
Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all <3



╚═════════════════════════╝
Image











Image
User avatar
NightFlame22
 
Posts: 22912
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby kerplunk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:55 am

NightFlame22 wrote:
Harlow. wrote:
How Would I convince My father to not declaw My kitten?
I just recently got a kitten,, Well My dad got a kitten? But He lives In my room, I feed the kitten, I clean the kittens litter box so On so forth.. But He wants to declaw the poor kitten and I don't know How to stop him?? I don't wan't my baby going through the pain of a declaw and He definetly does not have Any problems with scratching anything so i don't see why he even has this idea?

Anyways, I like to ramble as you may see. Just wan'ted to get tips on changing his mind...

I'm pretty sure cats have to be a certain age to be declawed, so you might still have some time to convince him if your kitten is still very young. I'd do some research, show him some alternatives maybe? I'm gonna advertise the claw caps again but I do love them X3 Plus you probably don't have to wait until he's a certain age to put them on, so that'd be a plus. I dunno what other options are out there, but you should definitely look and see!
Image


yeah, if I remember correctly a cat has to be at least 6 months old to be declawed.
☆ Pet Of The Month ☆
Image


----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

Luna//13-16//Female//American//
Panromantic/Demisexual//Musician/Singer

Hey! I'm kerplunk, but you can call
me Luna! I'm certified band trash™ and a
coffee addict! My favorite band is Green Day
(as you might be able to tell from my username)
and I love punk rock and emo music. I even have
a band of my own! If you want to be my friend,
hit me up with some pms!

listography
User avatar
kerplunk
 
Posts: 2760
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Harlow. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:59 am

He's Nearly 6 months old, My dad was going to do is along with his Neuter that is happening on Saterday..
I've been at this since we've gotten the kitten (at 5 months old) And He still refuses to accept the fact that declawing isn't necessary
I'm just a really annoying
really stupid Unwanted Worthless Idiot.

Hi.
User avatar
Harlow.
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby WastedSpace » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:46 am

NightFlame22 wrote:
Harlow. wrote:
How Would I convince My father to not declaw My kitten?
I just recently got a kitten,, Well My dad got a kitten? But He lives In my room, I feed the kitten, I clean the kittens litter box so On so forth.. But He wants to declaw the poor kitten and I don't know How to stop him?? I don't wan't my baby going through the pain of a declaw and He definetly does not have Any problems with scratching anything so i don't see why he even has this idea?

Anyways, I like to ramble as you may see. Just wan'ted to get tips on changing his mind...

I'm pretty sure cats have to be a certain age to be declawed, so you might still have some time to convince him if your kitten is still very young. I'd do some research, show him some alternatives maybe? I'm gonna advertise the claw caps again but I do love them X3 Plus you probably don't have to wait until he's a certain age to put them on, so that'd be a plus. I dunno what other options are out there, but you should definitely look and see!
Image


Sorry, just want to add that caps are not a solution for everyone, unfortunately. My sister tried caps when she still lived at home for mom (she kinda just took a barn runt home without pre-planning or permission), and her cat hates them. Can chew them off completely in half an hour or less. Plus she was a pain for even getting them on. That took longer than the cat getting them off. So yeah. Worth trying, but if they don't work, just know you're not the only one.
Let us waste away, far away into nothingness, into the black abyss.

.

the chest of the nebula opens up to show the denizens beneath, the calling mouths of the headless minions that carry the spear. the hungry mouths, calling, beckoning to come with them, to dive into their toothy maws and be chewed, torn, ripped asunder and reassembled like the atoms of a collider — to be destroyed and dissipate, to be gathered again like the stuff of a star, to self-ignite and glow anew and burn the darkness itself, that is the old one’s path to cyclic immortality, where death is never death, where life is never life. the void welcomes. the void caresses. the void loves.
George Starcher
User avatar
WastedSpace
 
Posts: 4867
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:56 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby NightFlame22 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 am

WastedSpace wrote:Sorry, just want to add that caps are not a solution for everyone, unfortunately. My sister tried caps when she still lived at home for mom (she kinda just took a barn runt home without pre-planning or permission), and her cat hates them. Can chew them off completely in half an hour or less. Plus she was a pain for even getting them on. That took longer than the cat getting them off. So yeah. Worth trying, but if they don't work, just know you're not the only one.

Oh yikes, that sucks :c I wondered if anyone had ever had issues with them. I suppose it's best to explore other options, then, just in case those don't work. I haven't done a ton of research myself, so I can't say what else might be out there...
┌────────┐

































└────────┘
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔═════════════════════════╗


x
Hiya! The name's NightFlame, but most call me Night or Flame.
I'm just an exciteable person who loves art and dragons!
Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all <3



╚═════════════════════════╝
Image











Image
User avatar
NightFlame22
 
Posts: 22912
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Return to Animal Chatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest