Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2 - FRESH! :)

Postby leiawolfe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:59 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:LeiaWolfe Welcome to the new thread! :D Did you see my reply about scent glands in the old thread? I posted right before I made the new one. lol "Scent glands maybe? Sometimes they get crusty and smelly. lol They are like slit like things on each side of her lady bits. Might need to push some fur over. Usually you can unplug the scabby looking wax substance away with a damp cotton swab."

Polly44 I have heard so many gender mix up stories. It took me a while to get good at being able to tell. I can usually tell gender at around 6 weeks old now. lol But that took a few years of seeing many baby bits. hahaha
Welcome back. :D

Ah, hes, just did, thank you!

Sadly today I'll need some help caring for Aura today, because I'm sick... and I have to go and do a 2-hour test at 9:00am!
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FweepTheTurtle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 am

I'm thinking about getting a doe for my English spot buck. My buck does have an unknown color though. His color is kinda like peanut butter colored. So he could have not showable babies for fair. Any help?
FweepTheTurtle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lincoln » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:31 am

FweepTheTurtle wrote:I'm thinking about getting a doe for my English spot buck. My buck does have an unknown color though. His color is kinda like peanut butter colored. So he could have not showable babies for fair. Any help?

Without a picture for analysis, I cannot be 100% sure about his variety, but I do have some guesses.
He could be chocolate, gold, or tortoise/torteshell.
My money is on gold, it looks "peanut-buttery", but who knows? I struggled with my tortoise variety dutch rabbit for years trying to figure out if he was chocolate or tortoise. Keep an eye on his variety before, during, and after while he molts, they sometimes show signs of slight color shifting. And his variety could be one of the varieties I listed above, just a darker shade. I would recommend discussing his variety with the breeder you purchased from (If you have that information available) or consulting an experienced rabbit breeder.
Lincoln

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strange_Atoms » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:57 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:
lillystarswimmer wrote:ah yass. new thread.:) I have 2 bun-buns:
Zelda and falloe. both girls. I resucuded them from an adusive situation.

Welcome back. ;)
Let me know if you want to be added to the members section!
yes please!
ALL GOOD THINGS FLOW INTO THE CITYImage
Strange_Atoms

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:38 pm

lillystarswimmer wrote:
_breezy_star_ wrote:
lillystarswimmer wrote:ah yass. new thread.:) I have 2 bun-buns:
Zelda and falloe. both girls. I resucuded them from an adusive situation.

Welcome back. ;)
Let me know if you want to be added to the members section!
yes please!

Will add you now. :D

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:49 pm

I suppose I may as well name all my rabbits. I don't think I have since I first got into them lol.

It changes a lot, but currently I have Stomp, Blue Tang, Dash, Laaa, Dalton, Dakota, Mia, Kallie, Clarice, Lilly, Leilani, Crème de la crème, Kyla, Gwen, Annie, Nadia, Theodosia, and a few unnamed out of my polish. Out of the Harlequins I have Romelia, Kindra, Firefly, "Keeper" of Secrets, Sally, "River" of Life, Marcus, and Mayfly. I no longer raise dwarf hotots put do still have 2 old retired pet does of the breed, Vanessa and Veronica. Also have 1 single American Chinchilla named Anna!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:50 pm

Lily wrote:
FweepTheTurtle wrote:I'm thinking about getting a doe for my English spot buck. My buck does have an unknown color though. His color is kinda like peanut butter colored. So he could have not showable babies for fair. Any help?

Without a picture for analysis, I cannot be 100% sure about his variety, but I do have some guesses.
He could be chocolate, gold, or tortoise/torteshell.
My money is on gold, it looks "peanut-buttery", but who knows? I struggled with my tortoise variety dutch rabbit for years trying to figure out if he was chocolate or tortoise. Keep an eye on his variety before, during, and after while he molts, they sometimes show signs of slight color shifting. And his variety could be one of the varieties I listed above, just a darker shade. I would recommend discussing his variety with the breeder you purchased from (If you have that information available) or consulting an experienced rabbit breeder.

Ditto to the gold or tort as color. Unless he is an unrecognized color altogether. lol Black torts are the only recognized tort I believe for spots. Blue, chocolate or lilac tort are not showable for their breed. Or sometimes even chocolate gray happens (chocolate agouti). If you breed him to a doe, you have the chance for showable and not showable babies... luck of the draw! lol It all depends on what color genes they both carry. If he is some other color entirely though, it might be best not to breed him. Pictures would help a lot if he doesn't resemble any of those pictures Lily posted links for. :)

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Ah I forgot 2 of my favorites somehow! Plus poor Tally!

I also have Megaton (harlequin) and "Minnie" Me. My 2 newest members. <3 Megaton I posted a picture of in my first post of this thread! Most my pictures with Minnie she's on my shoulder and I'm holding her against me. Otherwise I'd post a picture! Can't post my face though lol. (And nobody would wanna see it. x'D)

The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:59 pm

I remember when I had a million bunnies to name. lol It feels so weird to only have 3 right now. xD

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:15 am

It's hard to name so many lol. I really need to name my 2 REWs! I had names in mind for awhile but I forgot what those names were now lol

The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me