Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby forestunseen » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:24 am

Winstalgia wrote:
forestunseen wrote:My rabbit had to go to the vet today :( he is "on the brink of" GI stasis. But he's eating and pooping tonight so yay! I'm hoping he'll pull through. He's a strong bunny, I think he'll be okay.

Hope he pulls through! I know how stressful that can be. <3

Thank you, he’s alright now! He recovered thankfully. 💜
forestunseen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:59 pm

I'm glad!!
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ChunkyChad » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:05 pm

Hi I have a bit of rabbit problem, I don’t personally own one and have never one so I’m pretty unknowledged in their care so any help would be great ^^

I currently work at a wildlife rescue however we get quite a few calls from people you have caught stray domestic rabbits, sadly we can’t help as we only deal with wild hares so I can only advise them to call the local animal rescues. However I’ve heard from some people that they’re having a hard time finding a place that can take the rabbits. Because of this they end up having to look after the rabbits a for a few days or so, the problem is a lot of people don’t know how to care for the rabbits and I also have no idea on the care for them either 😓. So I was wondering if you guys have any advice on temporary rabbit care? Like easily accessible food, what they should be kept in, etc

(Also are domestic rabbits like wild hares and stressed very easily? I know with hares I advise to keep them somewhere dark and quiet and to not interact with them at all, would this be also applicable to domestic rabbits?)
©

She/Her, in university

Wildlife rescuer

Studying animal science

my art <3

Big pigeon fan

PMs open^^

Down to do a gift war👀

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _44_ people.
I have received _48_ gifts.

mr freddy fazebear?

ChunkyChad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RandomSia » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm

ChunkyChad wrote:Hi I have a bit of rabbit problem, I don’t personally own one and have never one so I’m pretty unknowledged in their care so any help would be great ^^

I currently work at a wildlife rescue however we get quite a few calls from people you have caught stray domestic rabbits, sadly we can’t help as we only deal with wild hares so I can only advise them to call the local animal rescues. However I’ve heard from some people that they’re having a hard time finding a place that can take the rabbits. Because of this they end up having to look after the rabbits a for a few days or so, the problem is a lot of people don’t know how to care for the rabbits and I also have no idea on the care for them either 😓. So I was wondering if you guys have any advice on temporary rabbit care? Like easily accessible food, what they should be kept in, etc

(Also are domestic rabbits like wild hares and stressed very easily? I know with hares I advise to keep them somewhere dark and quiet and to not interact with them at all, would this be also applicable to domestic rabbits?)

Stray domestic rabbits? That sounds strange that there are so many. Are you sure they aren't stray farm rabbits that have gotten out of their hutches? I do realize those can still be considered "domestic" but I think they lean closer to wild than a house rabbit does (I do have a friend with lots of outdoor rabbits, a lot aren't real pets like house rabbits are).

Yes, domestic rabbits still get stressed easily. My house rabbit almost went into stasis once basically because he didn't like that we moved his hutch from one corner of the room to the other. >_> Hay is the most important part of their diet and can be found at any pet store, farm stores like tractor supply, and sometimes walmarts. Most animal shelters I've seen will take rabbits but only a few at a time and rescues only seem to sometimes since it is a whole different set of care than for a dog or cat. It's hard to find vets that take rabbits; they're considered "exotic" pets. Horse vets can usually help since they are surprisingly similar in feed care.

I hope this at least helps a little bit!
RandomSia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ChunkyChad » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:20 pm

RandomSia wrote:
ChunkyChad wrote:-snip-

Stray domestic rabbits? That sounds strange that there are so many. Are you sure they aren't stray farm rabbits that have gotten out of their hutches? I do realize those can still be considered "domestic" but I think they lean closer to wild than a house rabbit does (I do have a friend with lots of outdoor rabbits, a lot aren't real pets like house rabbits are).

Yes, domestic rabbits still get stressed easily. My house rabbit almost went into stasis once basically because he didn't like that we moved his hutch from one corner of the room to the other. >_> Hay is the most important part of their diet and can be found at any pet store, farm stores like tractor supply, and sometimes walmarts. Most animal shelters I've seen will take rabbits but only a few at a time and rescues only seem to sometimes since it is a whole different set of care than for a dog or cat. It's hard to find vets that take rabbits; they're considered "exotic" pets. Horse vets can usually help since they are surprisingly similar in feed care.

I hope this at least helps a little bit!

Thankyou so much for the help^^ I had no clue they ate hay but I guess that makes sense now that I'm thinking about it lol. Ya it's unfortunate about the rescue situation, I even googled looking for any rabbit specific rescues and there isnt very many at all in my area, the 3rd result was kijij 😭. Is it ok to keep rabbits in cardboard boxes(for short periods ofc)? I know with wild hares we recommend keeping them in cardboard boxes for catching and transporting, however I worry that domestic hares may chew the cardboard and get impacted, is this a legit concern?

Also in regards to where the rabbits are coming from I honestly think a fair amount are feral rabbits as I've heard we've got a few colonies around, especially cause they rabbits people call inn about are almost all like identical patterned (specifically white with like black splotches) so maybe they're all coming from the same colony, thats my best guess anyways. Which honestly makes me worried these are probably some pretty sick rabbits hence why so many people are able to actually just like grab em
©

She/Her, in university

Wildlife rescuer

Studying animal science

my art <3

Big pigeon fan

PMs open^^

Down to do a gift war👀

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _44_ people.
I have received _48_ gifts.

mr freddy fazebear?

ChunkyChad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:23 pm

ChunkyChad wrote:Thankyou so much for the help^^ I had no clue they ate hay but I guess that makes sense now that I'm thinking about it lol. Ya it's unfortunate about the rescue situation, I even googled looking for any rabbit specific rescues and there isnt very many at all in my area, the 3rd result was kijij 😭. Is it ok to keep rabbits in cardboard boxes(for short periods ofc)? I know with wild hares we recommend keeping them in cardboard boxes for catching and transporting, however I worry that domestic hares may chew the cardboard and get impacted, is this a legit concern?

Also in regards to where the rabbits are coming from I honestly think a fair amount are feral rabbits as I've heard we've got a few colonies around, especially cause they rabbits people call inn about are almost all like identical patterned (specifically white with like black splotches) so maybe they're all coming from the same colony, thats my best guess anyways. Which honestly makes me worried these are probably some pretty sick rabbits hence why so many people are able to actually just like grab em

You can keep them in boxes for a short time, for example while you transport them, but not to keep them in there. Bunnies are usually pretty scared while they are transported, they usually stay still and don't eat/chew anything then. But don't keep them in boxes for a longer time, they will definitely chew through it.

True wild rabbits are always brown, none of them have fancy spots or white fur. They might have survived in the wild for awhile, because they were lucky, but those are domestic/pet rabbits.
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lev-bun » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:29 am

Hi! Someone suggested this thread after I mentioned in my introduction I breed rabbits! I started breeding show quality mini rex rabbits around a year ago when I chanced upon a retiring breeder. I have not been to any shows yet but hope to go to one before the year is over, I'd like to make a flashy entrance if you will :lol:

I currently own 10 mini rex rabbits & 2 rescue holland lops:
Waffles, a black otter doe, currently nursing 4 kits born a few days ago
Clove & Ruth, a broken black otter and broken castor who are sisters! (Ruth is currently on hold for a neighbor purchasing her)
Maki, an almost perfectly colored lynx buck
Shiro, a REW buck
Lindor, a young castor doe with a little bit of an attitude lol
Mars & Mitzy, the 2 rescue lops
Lev-bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabbithaver » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:16 pm

holy moly it's been awhile since ive posted here. i went on hiatus for a couple years.

anyway these are our current bunnies. Polly (black and white) and Clark (white & brown rex) adopted in 2019. Dusty Buns (dark brown lop) was adopted in 2014 and his husbun is our most recent acquisition! Squiggles (light brown lop) was adopted from another family just last month. 💖

call me rabbit || they/them
adult player || hedgehog enjoyer

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

my mom || my homie || my buddy
trade thread || dreamies || dragon cave
fursona || shadow playlist || sonic fans
rabbithaver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:33 am

^ they're all so adorable!

I haven't been too active on cs lately as a whole, but stopping by today to say Froppy sadly passed away. No clue how. She was perfectly fine prior, and even recently went to the vet, so we're unsure what happened. That being said, Benji has been moved inside because I'm going to try to bond him with falafel. I need to get falafel fixed first though, and the cheapest place near me has almost 2 months waiting list so it's gonna be a while. Falafel is irked knowing theres another rabbit in his room, but I refused to put benji back outside without Froppy. So, I have a pen stretched from one side of my room to the other (convenient, right? lol) and Benji has a smaller area to sleep, eat, and even started using a litterbox, and he can come on my bed whenever he wants to.

I don't remember if I've ever shared photos of my rabbits, actually. Redgardless, Here's some photos!

Here is Falafel! And Benji and this wasfroppy. I miss her a lot <3
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Parkayl » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:33 pm

Parkayl wrote:
Blue_Aussie wrote:Wanted to share my bunny’s pen because I love seeing other’s ideas lol
Tried to do a sort of Easter theme but with decorations I can leave up afterwards, so it’s very rabbity XD

OHHH!! Such a good idea, a pen! I recently got a baby bunny (1 month) and I have been holding off getting him a "cage". Instead, allowing him to go around my room and downstairs as he please. I don't like the thought of putting him in a cage. I had rabbits growing up and I wish I was taught how rabbits were supposed to be raised- my poor babies were kept in cages most of the time, very small ones, and I thought that was normal being a child. Hell. When you look online, you often see the same sentiment regarding "getting your child a bunny".
It's not just with bunnies either. If you go online and look at popular hamster cages, most are not suitable for a hamster to even live in.

So I have a distrust of putting my baby boy in a cage in general. Would you like being in a cage? I wouldn't. I prefer my freedom. But it never occurred to me to have a pen. That seems ideal, as it wouldn't restrict my baby badly and would make cleaning up the house more easily (I usually leave him to roam when I'm at work and asleep)

Here's my baby btw.
(My fiance holding him <3)

He's a mini lop. Never owned a mini lop before. I had cotton tails and an albino growing up.

Sigh... I miss my baby boy so much. Stuff happened, my ex turned out to be using me and I had to give my baby boy away after becoming homeless yet again. Luckily, my sister owns him now. He is in safe hands, he's happy. No longer completely free roam, though. I wish I paid attention to the red flags (and my own attraction) my ex portrayed but I was so caught up on wanting to be "straight" and "normal- I ignored them all. I'm living with my friend again and all it well fortunately. Lesson learned.

Here's a pic of him from earlier this month.

Hope everyone here is doing well. Bless you all.
Parkayl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me