Docking and Cropping

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Docking and Cropping

Postby Kleinkat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Grimace wrote:Spaying and neutering has actual benefits. Obviously im not against amputation of a tail if theres some actual medical reason, but usually there isn't.

I get things spayed/neutered because everything I have would either be irritable and probably get cancer without it, or would just be flat out dead if they were allowed to be intact.

Some animals suffer by it, some live normal lives.
About me:
-Bigender
-Autistic
-Entomologist
-Animator

I'm a tribal dog addict
Kleinkat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Grimace » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Animals can live normal lives afterwards, but it still is messing up an animal for no reason but looks.
Grimace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anaphea » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 pm

My Cocker Spaniel had her tail docked but the owners did that when she was a puppy - we didn't have a say or anything. I personally wouldn't do it but equally Cockers look a little odd with long tails (you know, breed standards and everything). It just means that we get to call Willow, "stumpy" so that's the only bonus I can really think of. And it makes Willow look even dopey than she already is, being a lot shorter than most Cockers and having hardly any hair.. just adds to her appearance XD
I've never seen a dog with cropped ears so I have no idea about it.
In conclusion; I don't really mind, but if you did have to dock a dog, I would say that it's only really suitable for Spaniels, considering it's sort of breed standard. To each their own :)

As for neutering/spaying, I would say that it does have quite a lot of benefits. Though, equally, I do know a dog that got an infection because of it and was ill for a long time. She's better now, of course, but it's still quite scary. I would have spayed my two dogs, but both of them are quite old now and I don't think it would be fair on them to do it now. And with Willow, she runs non-stop and I'm afraid that we won't be able to keep her still and she'll end up pulling the stitches or getting herself into a worse state. If I could go back and spay them, I would, but because of so many varying factors, it just wasn't a good idea.
But because of this, we do take precautions when they're in heat to prevent any unwanted pregnancies.
There are a lot more benefits to spaying than cons, though, and I would say that it is a good idea. But obviously, if you don't have the money, the dog has some problems otherwise or the dog is really old, then I would argue against spaying/neutering.
Anaphea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:06 am

I like the look but I would never have it done to a dog of mine. If it's purely cosmetic I don't agree with it.

My current cat was spayed before I got her and I'm grateful. My previous cat was unspayed for years and she ended up with a closed pyometra. She had to receive emergency surgery and the vet thought she wasn't going to make it. I have no interest in going down that road again.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salamandaa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 am

I support spay/neuter 100%.
But really, if you don't plan on breeding your pet then get it altered to avoid unwanted pregnancies. Even a responsible owner might get an unwanted litter...male dog smells a female in heat, jumps the fence while the owner isn't looking...things happen. There is no point in breeding ordinary dogs and cats when there are so many being killed each year due to overpopulation.

In a nutshell spay/neutering helps pet overpopulation, can sometimes eliminate health problems that intact male/female dogs get, makes it easier for the owners, and can even eliminate unwanted behavior (such as it making them calmer, or spraying in cats).

Also I really am not AGAINST anyone who docks/crops/declaws...but I personally would not do it to any of my animals. Same with, say, human male circumcision because I would not have anything mutilated purely for a cosmetic purpose. Most of the time, this IS done for cosmetic reasons and it's a shame that for many purebreeds, docking/cropping is a breed standard. Ear cropping is done under anesthesia so they can't feel it, but afterward the ears are very irritating/itchy and must be kept taped up for weeks. I have seen tail docking & dewclaw removals for puppies up close and it IS painful. I could not personally justify putting my own animal through something unnecessary. I can justify spay/neuters, but not cosmetic procedures.

My old username was Frostdragon
New username, new me! I like dinosaurs.
Salamandaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:53 am

My breed of choice is cropped and docked and I vastly prefer look, my breeder will crop/dock the puppy well before he comes home to me and I wont get a choice, lol.

I have way more an issue with major organ removal done mostly for convience( the blanket of, not for actual medical issues) that studies show do have negative consequences than I do a cosmetic procedure that if done properly by a vet should have 0 lasting consequences and an incredibly quick recovery period. Cropped puppies should come home same day and be their normal crazy selves.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am

If its done properly and humanly, I am A-okay with it.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kleinkat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Cardinal wrote:My breed of choice is cropped and docked and I vastly prefer look, my breeder will crop/dock the puppy well before he comes home to me and I wont get a choice, lol.

I have way more an issue with major organ removal done mostly for convience( the blanket of, not for actual medical issues) that studies show do have negative consequences than I do a cosmetic procedure that if done properly by a vet should have 0 lasting consequences and an incredibly quick recovery period. Cropped puppies should come home same day and be their normal crazy selves.

Most vets S/N animals too young and don't let them develop. It really is for the owners convenience
About me:
-Bigender
-Autistic
-Entomologist
-Animator

I'm a tribal dog addict
Kleinkat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Cardinal wrote:My breed of choice is cropped and docked and I vastly prefer look, my breeder will crop/dock the puppy well before he comes home to me and I wont get a choice, lol.

^This. Just, this.

Most people I know who spay/neuter their dogs (not all) do it before the age of 1, sometimes before the puppy's first heat if it's female. Simply for the convenience.

Spaying and neutering definitely has it's benefits, but you should give the animal ample time to grow and develop before the operation. Otherwise, you are putting that animal in some risky health situations.

A responsible owner should and will be able to keep a close eye on their bitch while she's in heat to avoid unwanted pregnancies. It's simple. Don't leave her outside alone and always keep some pepper spray or something at hand. To say that a dog owner should spay or neuter because unwanted pregnancies can happen just seems like resorting to what's convenient. I know intact bitches that have never gotten pregnant their entire life, because their owner was responsible enough to prevent possible pregnancies.

When done correctly, cropping and docking doesn't cause the dog's health to suffer. Sure, it's for appearance, but if the dog is in no pain and is perfectly happy the rest of it's life, I see no harm. If a puppy was spayed or neutered too early and develops joint and bone issues or something like that when they are older, then there was permanent and dangerous harm done to the dog.

Just to throw in my two cents.
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kleinkat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:30 am

Completely agree^