Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:31 am

RiceGum wrote:how to socialize a dog that doesn't like other dogs? puppy school is the best, but it isn't an option as my dog is too old. not really looking for a dog trainer atm, so does anyone have any other options?

Some trainers will offer reactive dog classes.

You could try looking for dog play and walking groups in your area. Obviously you should work on keeping your dog under threshold and rewarding your dog for not reacting (however your dog does) and being calm in the presence of other dogs. That being said some dogs just don't like other dogs. As long as your dog isn't reactive or overly terrified it's okay not to want to interact with other dogs. And it may just be something you have to accept about your dog.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 am

Today was a fun day! We went kayaking for the first time this morning, at first Kes was being bad about not wanting to sit or lay down, so she kept getting her head knocked by the paddle lol. Eventually she figured out where the front was and I sent her up there to stand which was easier. I also had her climb out onto a tree in the water and made her swim to catch up to me and get back in. Ended up sitting in water from pulling the various soaking dogs back in without tipping over lol.

K did knock Kes clear off the back of my kayak with her paddle on accident which made Kes feel betrayed lol. She did really well with swimming and being calm while we dragged her back into the kayaks though. We played musical dogs a few times too lol. It was fun, hopefully we can go out again before too long!

After lunch we went to a little park with a small pond with a island in the middle. So we overtook the island so the dogs could play off leash without having to worry about people coming at them. Besides me losing one of K's discs, they had fun playing and being crazy dogs as usual.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:23 am

When Sarah took Rocky home yesterday, I kept a close eye on Justin and Chess, they're still acting like best friends and there has been no more fighting between them.
They even curl up with each other while I watch TV.

Why this sudden friendship? I have no idea. Rocky settled their disagreements somehow.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chase. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 pm

sorry I haven't been on her much - I'm starting a blog for me and Logan so that should be fun to keep up with cx

I'm seeing some posts about dresssing dogs up - I can't lie I'm going to see about dressing my poor child up. I'm going round a friend's house with him for Halloween and we're thinking of either sitting outside with him and letting the young kids stroke him [im not sure why all the little children want to stroke him - maybe because he's fluffy? I'm not sure but Logan lives of attention so I'm okay with letting people stroke him ^^]

I was thinking of dressing up as a cowboy because he already keeps the hat on, and will wear a plaid shirt & bandanna but I was also thinking of maybe dressing up as a matching pair type thing? Like me being red riding hood and making him the wolf or something like that.

chase.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 pm

He'd look cute as a wolf!!
I'm so tempted to reveal Justin's Halloween costume but I want to try finding out why I can't post pics first. I want to post him wearing his costume.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 am

LizzytheWolf wrote:He'd look cute as a wolf!!
I'm so tempted to reveal Justin's Halloween costume but I want to try finding out why I can't post pics first. I want to post him wearing his costume.

How are you trying to post it? You can either upload straight from your computer (using the add attachment button) or you have to upload to somewhere else, such as Imgur or even Tumblr, and then get the image URL.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:20 am

collie, wrote:sorry I haven't been on her much - I'm starting a blog for me and Logan so that should be fun to keep up with cx

I'm seeing some posts about dresssing dogs up - I can't lie I'm going to see about dressing my poor child up. I'm going round a friend's house with him for Halloween and we're thinking of either sitting outside with him and letting the young kids stroke him [im not sure why all the little children want to stroke him - maybe because he's fluffy? I'm not sure but Logan lives of attention so I'm okay with letting people stroke him ^^]

I was thinking of dressing up as a cowboy because he already keeps the hat on, and will wear a plaid shirt & bandanna but I was also thinking of maybe dressing up as a matching pair type thing? Like me being red riding hood and making him the wolf or something like that.

You could do both. Dress him up as a cowboy and you as a cowgirl, or just in a period type outfit, or as a prisoner and use a chain type leash like he arrested you, lol.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 am

ah i wish i had another dog and i could have them with me. the 2018 Us Canine biathlon is actually pretty close to where i'm at. i might just go to watch if i'm not deployed by the beginning of next year but i know for a fact i would love to do stuff like that when i get a shepherd or collie. my SO seems to really click with collies and aussies so maybe in the future i'll end up with a dachshund, german shepherd and one of those maybe. ugh, i hate not being able to have pets but i hopefully in the next few years ill get to have them.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:27 pm

eleutheromania wrote:ah i wish i had another dog and i could have them with me. the 2018 Us Canine biathlon is actually pretty close to where i'm at. i might just go to watch if i'm not deployed by the beginning of next year but i know for a fact i would love to do stuff like that when i get a shepherd or collie. my SO seems to really click with collies and aussies so maybe in the future i'll end up with a dachshund, german shepherd and one of those maybe. ugh, i hate not being able to have pets but i hopefully in the next few years ill get to have them.

I will send you this thing. Please take it, it keeps breaking!

Also hopefully you get to go and take pics! That sounds really cool.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:39 pm

@Middy; pff. you wouldn't let me. i'd love to meet her one day and check out those trails where you're at. Loki couldn't keep up though( plus he acts like a lazy old fart now and he's only 2! ), so it'd probably be a few years before i'd have a pup that could. Would've been nice if Rosie was still around, she would have loved all that. the event is in March i think, it's for any and all, so military, civilian, police. all can compete somewhere in AL. might go on a road trip hopefully to go if i'm not working -.-
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me