Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:07 am

Luzien wrote:hey...nice new smell here^^, and interesting layout :D

so i have a Little question for all :) :
its something i find interesting, after one of our former dog group people had a sensitive dog , other may think it stupid, but some may have a problem with normal feed, skin, reaction to meat ...,too

i like to know if somebody did feed there dog -meatless grain-free, so called vegan Dog food? is it good :?: as whole meal or simple as treats^^
benevo, yarrah, wafcol, v-dog...and so on....or even self made ^^

I don't think it's good for dogs to go vegan unless they are truly allergic to all meat proteins. They can survive on it yes, but surviving and thriving are too different things. Dogs are carnivores and are meant to eat meat. Most people who feed their dog vegan do so because of their own moral values, but I feel if you don't want to feed your pet a species correct diet then you should get a pet that is not designed to eat meat.

I don't see a problem with vegan treats. I feed my dog some sometimes. After all if I give her a blueberry, that's vegan.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:10 am

Luzien wrote:hey...nice new smell here^^, and interesting layout :D

so i have a Little question for all :) :
its something i find interesting, after one of our former dog group people had a sensitive dog , other may think it stupid, but some may have a problem with normal feed, skin, reaction to meat ...,too

i like to know if somebody did feed there dog -meatless grain-free, so called vegan Dog food? is it good :?: as whole meal or simple as treats^^
benevo, yarrah, wafcol, v-dog...and so on....or even self made ^^

Vegan dog food should only be used in very extreme cases. I've actually only heard of one dog that legitimately needed to go on a vegan dog food and, while I don't remember her exact issues, I remember them being pretty severe. Dogs may not be obligate carnivores (strict meat-eaters) like cats or ferrets but they are still carnivores and not omnivores or herbivores. They do best on a meat-heavy diet and not vegetable or grain based. Dogs fed a vegan diet often face a whole slew of issues from dull coats and eyes to a shortened lifespan. Animal protein and vegetable proteins are not interchangeable and there's a big difference between just surviving and thriving.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... od-protein

Dogs can have allergies to kibble but often those allergies are due to the corn, soy or wheat or the unnatural chemicals put into cheap chicken, not the meat it's self. Changing the dog's food to a higher quality kibble can often times help though it's also true that one dog can do amazing on a certain kibble while another dog does poorly on it. Turning to a balanced raw diet can help as well because a dog may seem allergic to chicken in kibble but not be allergic to raw chicken. If a dog is actually allergic to common meats like chicken, beef or pork, then the owner can try unconventional meats like rabbit, venison (deer), duck, and a whole slew of other meats that are available. Many websites in the US, UK and Canada sell a large variety of human-grade meats specifically for pets or you can source the meat yourself locally from butchers, farmers and hunters. Basically, vegan diet should be your absolute last resort for a dog.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby {ℓєσραя∂} » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:24 am

I have a couple questions for you guys, if y'all don't mind. I posted a few pages back about a puppy we recently got. And he's pretty great. Other than the chewing and obvious puppy clingy-ness, he's really a good dog. He's still pretty young, just 9 weeks, and I was wondering if y'all knew of any puppy safe treats I could get him. I tried the ones I give to my older dogs. I broke off a couple of small pieces and gave them to him, and it seemed to upset his belly a bit. So, I haven't given him any more.

And I also wanted to ask about how to stop him from chewing his bedding. Right now he has an old cheap blanket to sleep on, because I expected the bed chewing. But I would like to get him a regular dog bed, but only after I'm sure he wont chew it to pieces. I have this exact same problem with one of my older dogs. And with the older one, I've tried bitter spray, giving him toys(though toys for him aren't cheap so he has just a couple as he destroys any toy we give him), and nothing works. I hate that these two have just cheap blankets to sleep on while the other two have a memory mattress bed(old dog with hip issues) and a really nice soft bed.

some text
ѕσмє
ѕαу
ιт'ѕ
вєттєя
тσ
fα
αѕєєρ
αи
ιѕѕαρρєαя
some text
ιт'ѕ
тιмє
ωє
fιиαу
σσк
αт
ωнαт
ωє'νє
σиє
|Characters||Seeking 1x1 for Natalia

Pic made by the wonderful Tru!
{ℓєσραя∂}

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:34 am

{ℓєσραя∂єѕѕ} wrote:I have a couple questions for you guys, if y'all don't mind. I posted a few pages back about a puppy we recently got. And he's pretty great. Other than the chewing and obvious puppy clingy-ness, he's really a good dog. He's still pretty young, just 9 weeks, and I was wondering if y'all knew of any puppy safe treats I could get him. I tried the ones I give to my older dogs. I broke off a couple of small pieces and gave them to him, and it seemed to upset his belly a bit. So, I haven't given him any more.

And I also wanted to ask about how to stop him from chewing his bedding. Right now he has an old cheap blanket to sleep on, because I expected the bed chewing. But I would like to get him a regular dog bed, but only after I'm sure he wont chew it to pieces. I have this exact same problem with one of my older dogs. And with the older one, I've tried bitter spray, giving him toys(though toys for him aren't cheap so he has just a couple as he destroys any toy we give him), and nothing works. I hate that these two have just cheap blankets to sleep on while the other two have a memory mattress bed(old dog with hip issues) and a really nice soft bed.

First off, what are the treats made of and what's his regular kibble? Introducing a new protein can often cause gastric upset and new proteins need to be introduced gradually rather then a bunch at once. Similar to why you don't just switch kibbles cold turkey but gradually mix it in with their old food over a period of at least a week.

For the bed chewing and toy ripping up, have you tried giving them actually chewies like raw meaty bones, antlers, bully sticks, himalayan dog chews, etc? All of those need to be supervised at first until you're sure your dog won't crack their teeth or attempt to swallow large pieces. Chewing is a natural behavior in dogs, even adult dogs, and giving them an outlet, as well as sufficient mental and physical exercise, can help curb destructive chewing.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 am

Photo dump! Still have a ton to look through and Blu and McDreamy have to go through theirs too. So there will probably be more soon lol.

Anyways, our trip has been amazing. I am 100% in love with Izzy, Addy and Ace lol. Kestrel loves Izzy and Addy too, they are having a ball playing together! On Monday we went on a 4-5 hour hike with Kes, Izzy, Charlie, and Ace, they had a ton of fun! We also went to the dog park and played with the flirt pole after that. (Blu has pics of Kes, I still need to go through mine but don't have any of Kes since she wouldn't chase the lure unless I was spinning it lol)

Y'all will probably get a super long recap of the fun we've had, and more pics later lol. Just thought I'd post some from the hike for now.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby •marquess• » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:46 am

heya! is this a good place to ask for doggo advice?
•marquess•

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby {ℓєσραя∂} » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:51 am

Saracirce wrote:First off, what are the treats made of and what's his regular kibble? Introducing a new protein can often cause gastric upset and new proteins need to be introduced gradually rather then a bunch at once. Similar to why you don't just switch kibbles cold turkey but gradually mix it in with their old food over a period of at least a week.

For the bed chewing and toy ripping up, have you tried giving them actually chewies like raw meaty bones, antlers, bully sticks, himalayan dog chews, etc? All of those need to be supervised at first until you're sure your dog won't crack their teeth or attempt to swallow large pieces. Chewing is a natural behavior in dogs, even adult dogs, and giving them an outlet, as well as sufficient mental and physical exercise, can help curb destructive chewing.

The treats are just a simple peanut butter biscuit. I don't remember the exact same of his kibble, but it was a store brand. My mother bought it and we keep their food in large tubs to help keep bugs at bay. So would any treats do? As long as I slowly introduced them to his diet?

I have given my older dog meaty bones and all kinds of chews I can find. if I let him, he would eat the whole thing in one sitting. So eventually I had to stop buying them, as I was spending way too much, even when I would make him span the chewing out over the coarse of days. I ended up buying him Tire Bitter toys. He has 2 of them. They make pretty tough toys and so far, he hasn't been able to tear them up. I've also tried toys where you hide a treat in them. They last him about 2 or 3 days, and they are in shreds. The older one has gotten better about his chewing, he doesn't chew as much, and usually when he does, he goes for the Tire Bitter toys.
The puppy has 3 toys, a soft plushie and 2 ropes. He does chew on them often, but every time he goes back to his blanket.

some text
ѕσмє
ѕαу
ιт'ѕ
вєттєя
тσ
fα
αѕєєρ
αи
ιѕѕαρρєαя
some text
ιт'ѕ
тιмє
ωє
fιиαу
σσк
αт
ωнαт
ωє'νє
σиє

{ℓєσραя∂}

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:00 am

{ℓєσραя∂єѕѕ} wrote:
Saracirce wrote:First off, what are the treats made of and what's his regular kibble? Introducing a new protein can often cause gastric upset and new proteins need to be introduced gradually rather then a bunch at once. Similar to why you don't just switch kibbles cold turkey but gradually mix it in with their old food over a period of at least a week.

The treats are just a simple peanut butter biscuit. I don't remember the exact same of his kibble, but it was a store brand. My mother bought it and we keep their food in large tubs to help keep bugs at bay. So would any treats do? As long as I slowly introduced them to his diet?

I have given my older dog meaty bones and all kinds of chews I can find. if I let him, he would eat the whole thing in one sitting. So eventually I had to stop buying them, as I was spending way too much, even when I would make him span the chewing out over the coarse of days. I ended up buying him Tire Bitter toys. He has 2 of them. They make pretty tough toys and so far, he hasn't been able to tear them up. I've also tried toys where you hide a treat in them. They last him about 2 or 3 days, and they are in shreds. The older one has gotten better about his chewing, he doesn't chew as much, and usually when he does, he goes for the Tire Bitter toys.
The puppy has 3 toys, a soft plushie and 2 ropes. He does chew on them often, but every time he goes back to his blanket.

Check the ingredients to the biscuits or for the peanut butter that was used to make them if they were homemade. Many peanut butters contain xylitol. It's an artificial sweetener that is toxic to many animals including dogs. But yes, any treats should do. Also, introduce new foods one at a time in case your puppy has an allergic reaction.
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby {ℓєσραя∂} » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:19 am

@Saracirce: Just checked the treats and they are fine, lol. Thanks for the help

And just a bit of good news on the puppy! I've been working really hard with his potty training(going with the frequent trips outside, and praise him till I look like a fool method XD) and he just went to the door to go outside for the first time! I was so proud of him!

some text
ѕσмє
ѕαу
ιт'ѕ
вєттєя
тσ
fα
αѕєєρ
αи
ιѕѕαρρєαя
some text
ιт'ѕ
тιмє
ωє
fιиαу
σσк
αт
ωнαт
ωє'νє
σиє

{ℓєσραя∂}

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .kestral » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 am

If I wanted advice on a dog breed to fit a certain lifestyle what info would you guys need?
Having serious issues viewing dark colours at the moment. May delay replys to pms. Sorry.

The Leopard Pups
Grey, Black and White. The world revolves and we go with it. Twisting in this everlasting monotony, eyes of green and gold, watching and waiting for our chance, our time. Cytor, Liliana, Serenade, Bayonet, the Prankster, the sweet one, the mother and the lost soul. There birth was a lost event, one in a million, two wandering souls met in the shadows, and these four were created. There pups are the stuff of legend, one lost there sight, one lost there path, one lost there love and the other? The other lost his family, everyone they cared about. He lost his family.
.kestral

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me