Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Faybell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:
halogen. wrote:
RWBY Rose wrote:Any potty training tips? Aika is around 6 months now and seems to have one accident a day. She has gone a day without an accident two or three times though.

We did start her on potty pads because she couldn't go outside for two weeks due to her spay. So is this normal because of that? I'm thinking of getting a potty bell. She doesn't really give us any sign she needs to go.... or if she does I don't see it (my vision is really poor).

I currently:
- Crate her at bedtime
- Bring her out right away in the morning
- Feed/water her at specific times
- Keep her confined to the hallway when we aren't playing, cuddling, training, ect. (It's not super big, it's probably twice the size of a playpen)
- Crate her for 20 minutes after eating
- Take her out every two hours for 15 minutes+ (she usually goes right away but I walk her and let her explore a bit)
- Give her a much bigger reward/praise than I do for normal good behavior

When I was potty training Spade I took her out every 30mins-1hour. I didn't bother with specific feeding times since food and water was(and still is) available at all times, just the frequent outings. And ofc praise and a very high quality treat when she went outside and always scold when accident in the house. I didn't crate or confine either, potty trained in one week! That's just how I did it.
Remember to be patient, some breeds(or even just specific dogs) are harder to potty train and will take some time before they get the hang of it.

I highly recommend against scolding after an accident. The timing would have to be very precise for the dog to understand that the scolding is associated with pottying and even then the dog may only think she's being scolded for pottying in front of you, not for where she's pottying. Scolding can make it more difficult to potty train in the long run, upset your dog, and damage the bond between you.

Here's a video with a lot of helpful advice for house training. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

Here's a tutorial for teaching your dog to ring a bell to let you know when they need to go out...http://poochie-pets.net/training/

If you're going to confine her to a hallway could you leave a pad in there for her? That way at least if she has to go she'll have an place to do so. It will also give you more information, such as whether she just doesn't understand where she is supposed to go or just that she can't hold it as long as you think, etc.

Also how did you go from pad to outside? Sometimes moving the pad slowly towards the door before eliminating it entirely may help in her understanding. After you've cleaned up I'd also use the space where she went to put her bed, food/water, or do some training there. This can help her understand that that area is not for toileting.

I don't really scold Aika for pottying. If I catch her (which isn't often because she likes going in the one corner that's harder to see) I say eh eh or no and rush her outside. Ive watched videos but they were for starting potty training outside but we started with pads because of her spay... plus I'm not really sure how the person who gave her up was going about it so I was asking on the off chance someone knew something better to do in her case.

I've heard pads have a scent that makes them want to go like their pee does so I just stopped using them. Wouldn't that work against what I'm trying to do? I'll try keeping her next to me to supervise her closer but don't know if that will work out. She likes to be near me but she also likes to self play with her toys... she might get annoyed by being near me all day on a leash. I already spend so much time playing, training, and short walks throughout the day. :"D

Oh and she isn't confined to the hall btw, she has her own room. We use the hallway like a play pen. Plus we can see her better from the hallway...though she likes going in the one corner that's harder to see her in. I let her in her room for play and training sessions after pottying when she's least likely to have to go. We eventually want to give her free reign of the whole apartment, we're just introducing her to new rooms slowly.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Rattielover0709 wrote:If you guys Haven't already, On a walk randomly fall to the ground.. See what your dog does! Zeus Kept walking, And Deacon Licked my face <3

Ahh, I did this literally last month with all my dogs. I wasn't hesitant at first because I was afraid they wouldn't care haha. :lol: But I finally got over my fears and tried it with each dog, all at separate times so that their decisions wouldn't be impacted.

Jasper was already by my side when I pretended to fall, and he did deep pressure therapy on me, then stood over me for a bit as if to shelter me. He's an SD, so that's what he's trained to do. I'm not sure how he'd react if he wasn't.

Persy didn't even notice I had "fallen" at first when we were on a walk in the field behind my house. She just kept walking, but then kind of turned around to see if I had caught up, and just kind of sniffed around for a while...lol! That's okay though. I know she loves me and I love her. She just didn't understand. Or maybe she sensed I wasn't really in danger, who knows?

Sam took a while to come over to me, but when she finally did, she just poked my face with her nose. <3

Then with Aspen, he actually barked because he was startled or something from the thud and ran over to me, but lost interest when I opened my eyes hehe.

Dogs are funny creatures, let me tell ya. :lol:
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm

The big, beautiful Bosef will probably be coming to live with me around February. I'm going to introduce him to Pete in the next couple of weeks. I think they'll do okay, Bo and Pete both have problems with certain males so I'll have to be careful, but Pete's never shown any aggression towards Great Danes, and Bo generally likes small dogs more than large dogs, I've only ever seen him exhibit aggression toward this one husky at the dog park. He's around 85 lbs, but he's not nearly as strong as JJ, being a house dog for his whole life. You can kind of tell he doesn't have a lot of muscle.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orchid.dreams » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Bo is adorbs! Is he adopted?
orchid.dreams

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Unique.Potato wrote:Bo is adorbs! Is he adopted?

He's my friend's dog, but I promised that if she ever couldn't take care of him I would take him in. There were a few times we weren't sure if I had to take him the past couple years, but now we're pretty sure she'll be moving.

Also ikr, he's so cute!

Edit: This is from like 6 months ago. Him and JJ are already buds.

heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orchid.dreams » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Ahh I see. The picture made meaugh so hard. It looks like he's trying to fly xD
orchid.dreams

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Haagen-Daagen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Spike has lymphoma. According to the vet, even with the treatment they can offer he would probably not make it to the end of the year. This just sprang out of nowhere, like literally within the last week and a half. He's lost weight and has a mass on this throat that is making him a bit sensitive to touch. He doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort right now, thank goodness, but it has already progressed a lot in such little time. This is really not the news we wanted..It is especially rough on my dad, who has been working with him as his partner for six years now. :'( Spike is only eight. We were all looking forward to him retiring into the life of a family dog so we could have more freedom to take him on adventures. He loves riding in the truck. He has progressed so much with his reactivity and become such a great contribution to the family. Eva adores him, and he is actually willing to play with her and Deebee these days. Things were going awesome. Now suddenly, we're told he probably has a few months left. We are shattered.

Do you own characters designed by me? (old username is 4dogowner) PM me! I'd love to draw art of some of my older designs, free of charge. <3
Toyhou.se
"Being courageous isn't the same as being fearless; it is doing what's right even when you're scared to death."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
"You are never a failure until you begin blaming your mistakes on someone else."
"Joy is a fully loaded magazine and a puppy."
Haagen-Daagen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chase. » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Rattielover0709 wrote:If you guys Haven't already, On a walk randomly fall to the ground.. See what your dog does! Zeus Kept walking, And Deacon Licked my face <3

yep - I have done it with Logan once with my friend who was holding him and another time just me and him off the lead.

First one I walked a few meters away and 'collapsed' on the grass - Logan went mental and pulled my friend over to get to me [he doesn't pull/has never pulled me over.]

second time he I had him in a heel when I fell and he just started to lick my face and paw at my chest [which hurt like heck so of course I got up cx]

--

I also tried it with my spaniel on the lead but as soon as she saw I was on the floor she just started walking away cx

One of the only side on pictures of Logan cx
chase.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:20 pm

hey guys just a quick question here.

should my nine year old shih tzu keep jumping up and down my 50cm bed? like is it good for him at his age?

thanks!

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 pm

wildlife. wrote:
    hey guys just a quick question here.
    should my nine year old shih tzu keep jumping up and down my 50cm bed? like is it good for him at his age?
    thanks!

no it is not so good...you also dont let a dog run on the bike at this age...or jump things to much, and i think small dogs should not jump down bed ....(Young dogs and old dogs should be given a bit more care and when some stairs or pet ramp help why not^^)
look for some dog stairs (this portable ones, this you can put at your bed...or wherever you dogs likes to get up)

@ Haagen-Daagen
dont give up,....it sound bad ...bad does not need to be so bad...get a second vet or go to clinic for full check... look for a vet or clinic who knows and works with this, or natural medication....maybe they ca help bether than a normal vet...or it is not so bad, or with the right treatment he could live some more years...
....and even when really not...just be with your dog, he needs you and your familys love now even more then ever, try a harness that does not touch the throat not collar..
wish you good luck, hope you tell how i goes!
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me