Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Crossflare » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:54 am

I have always wondered this about docking, if it's banned in certain country and a dog gets it's tail infected from a horrific injury, Is docking even allowed in cases of emergency like that?

As a matter of fact I have seen a rottie with a tail. I've met people who had to get a tail docked due to something happening like a tail injury and having to dock it slightly, I mean sure a docked tail is a docked tail but I've not seen rottie with stump. I mean my neighbors dog when I was younger his rottie had a partially docked tail it was not because of cosmetic reasons it was that something legit happened when the dog was younger. So medical emergency was the reason why the tail looked weird and funny but his tail was by no means a stump. In fact his owner refused to get the rest of docked on basis that cosmetically alterating a healthy dog was just dumb.

Only reason to dock a tail is if there is a legit medical emergency in regards to the tail not being viable to save or if half of it is literally dying. and only a small part can be saved.

My poodles tail may be docked but that is not something I or my parents did that is something that whoever bred him did and what people fail to understand is you can own a docked animal and not support docking just cause you adopt an animal with docked tail doesn't mean you are supporting docking, it doesn't make me a hypocrite to own a poodle whom my family adopted whose tail is docked.

My parents don't support docking the tail of any animal which is why when we got my border collie we never docked his tail, and our vet actually asked us to make sure we weren't doing that. He actually was relieved to hear we thought it was bad unless used in medical emergencies.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 am

Linda-058 wrote:I have always wondered this about docking, if it's banned in certain country and a dog gets it's tail infected from a horrific injury, Is docking even allowed in cases of emergency like that?

I know that over here in the UK, cropping and docking is banned, except for medical reasons. So yes, if something happened that required the tail to be docked, it would happen.

I've never heard of a BC having a tail crop though? Just seems weird, considering what they were bred for.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:59 am

Yeah as weird as it is people do dock border collie tails same with Australian shepherds. I don't know why they do it or how come they do it.According to people tail docking apparently reduced the risk of injury but actually, it didn't really significantly help at all. so it makes no difference whether you dock the dogs tail or not. but my collie did not have docked tail. cause there is no need for docking in border collies anyway. I think australian shepherds have their tails docked cause some people think it looks good and blah blah tradition/identification. But really It's probably that people are like oh that looks good which to me it doesn't look good on either breed. it's not needed.

I think having a feather duster of tail wack ones coffee table is hilarious and fun plus who wants to see a butt-wiggling when you can see the entire butt plus the tail, it's why I love border collies cause they are wiggle worms with their butt :P
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 am

halogen. wrote:Quick question:

Has anyone ever seen a rottweiler with a tail,
in person?
Obviously question is for places where docking is NOT banned.

My answer is nope, never seen a rottie with a wagging tail, only little stubs and wiggly butts, which is just as adorable IMO.

I would never dock, but just imagining no bruises from Spade's tail....

I have one. Lmao.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 am

I don't really give much though to poodle tails, but I do have a preference to the docked tails. I like just the little pom on the end. Where docking is banned, some poodle breeders get tendons clipped in dogs' tail to stop it from curling over, as that is against the breed standard. And at least 80% of poodles have the wrong tail carriage, the dock is a great way to hide it, but where docking is banned another solution has to be made. A poodle with a natural tail is okay though, the difference is not as drastic as say, a doberman without the dock and crop. To me, an all natural doberman doesn't even look like a doberman to me lol.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am

Obsessed with this little lady’s head tilts!
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:40 am

That dogs head tilt is meme able o_o it's like humans own me, Nah I own a human and I have trained them to take pictures of me :P
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:59 am

oppie keeps biting his tail constantly, i can’t wait till he gets to the vet thursday because it’s driving me crazy and he’s made a huge red bump on his tail from biting it but it hasn’t bled.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 am

@Docking
    Yes, in countries where it is banned you can actually dock a tail for medical reasons. Such as the dog had their tail stepped on and broken beyond repair by something, or they accidentally split their tail open by wagging too much and having it catch on something. (It happened to my male cousin's dog (When he had the dog) and the tail was very awkwardly docked.)

Historically it was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back, increase the animal's speed, and prevent injuries. One of the more notorious reasons for docking a tail was for dogs in the dog-fighting industry. The tails and ears would be cut so the opposing dog couldn't grab onto the appendages. Docking was also done by shepherds and farmers on their herding dogs, and by hunters and gunmen on their hunting dogs. It was to prevent injury while the dogs were working, be it by the dogs having their tails stepped on, or by them accumulating burrs on the tail which led to abrasions and infection. However that's a bit silly as dogs of those breeds usually carried their tails a certain way to prevent this: The herding dogs naturally carried their tails low and partially tucked underneath them so it couldn't be stepped on, and the hunting dogs held their tails high and curled over their backs so the undergrowth couldn't snag on it. Then of course the practice was used for cosmetic reasons, be it because the look was thought to be cute, or because it was simply historical and tradition to dock the tails of those breeds of dogs even if they weren't being worked like they used to.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm

September 25th! Theme: Dead Leaves

Kes apparently makes some interesting facial expressions when you drop leaves down on her lol. She's so weird
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me