Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby jouska. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:06 pm

Have you had dogs before? What breeds?;;
I've only ever had one dog before and that's a Schipperke. (Although my dad has had a lot of experience with Labradors, Shepherds, and Retrievers.)

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?;;
I've been highly interested in Australian Shepherds recently for some random reason. <3

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?;;
Probably at least twice a day. (So maybe two hours a day?)

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?;;
Well, I'm used to a lot of shedding and I'm pretty much oblivious to fur so I don't really mind either way. Although keep in mind that I do live in an area with scorching hot summers and mild/warm winters, so a husky probably wouldn't be the best idea.

What kind of energy level are you looking for?;;
I mean, have you seen the energy of schipperke? I don't mind a little bit of energy and I certainly can tolerate a hyper dog, but that doesn't mean I'm looking for one.

What do you plan on doing with your dog?;;
My family lives by the mountains so I'd like him/her to be able to keep up with me when we go hiking. I'd also enjoy going to the dog park with him/her daily.

What size dog are you wanting?;;
I don't really mind. <3

What age dog are you looking for?;;
I don't really mind. <3

What kind of livestyle do you live?;;
I try to get out at least one a day to exercise and although I'm no cough potato, I do like to relax from time to time.
jouska.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:25 pm

I could use little dog coat color genetic help, as I'm not overly familar with it... If you breed red sable to tricolor, in theory can you get fawn/yellow toned puppies?
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:15 pm

If your talking about yellow is in a lab or golden retriever color: In theory, yes, but unlikely. You would have to know if both parents carry the gene for recessive red to know for sure. Best way to know for sure is if both parents have a recessive red parent then they would carry it but only have 25% chance of producing a recessive red puppy. There is a slim chance they could still carry recessive red if they had an ancestor further back who was recessive red and it's been carried through generations unseen but slim chance. I'm not going to get into color intensifiers (aka why some Goldens are red and some are off white but they're all still recessive reds) but that's also a factor if your looking for the classic color.

Can I ask why you ask?
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Well probably not exactly lab/golden color, but same shade yes. I'm really not that knowledgeable of dog colors and which color is what on different breeds, but I was thinking about Icelandic sheepdogs in this case.
I have a friend who's looking into breeding her Icelandic sheepdog(red sable I think with white) and would like to have puppies of said color if possible. How ever she's little picky(in many ways, not just color) about the make choices and doesn't like black, so when she was suggested few black males I think she's maybe little too quick to rule them out. And to begin with there aren't many dogs she likes around... So I was just wondering if could I talk her into liking blacks as potential mates if they can produce the color she'd like. And before someone asks her dog has some show record and is temperament and health tested. :)
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iAmDiversity » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:40 pm

The new thread looks great! ;3;

My foster dog Lucy might get a new home tomorrow. I'm so happy for her cause the people sound like the ideal home I've hoped she would get!!! o3o
Looking for any eggs
or chameleons from
this litter!
Pet's name: Moon Moon
iAmDiversity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Link, Creed, and I went to Ocean City! We had loads of fun and Creed did awesome! He wore doggles for the first time there- it was expected to be cloudy all day so neither of us took our sunglasses and quickly found ourselves in desperate need of some, and I figured if my dark brown eyes are hurting then it's not fair to Creed to not give him some eye protection, so I grabbed a cheap pair of doggles and had at it. He left them on (for the most part) and impressed not only the shop owner for accepting them so easily, but also everyone who saw him rocking his pair of shades. I just wish they were orange and not yellow!
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 pm

Hime wrote:Well probably not exactly lab/golden color, but same shade yes. I'm really not that knowledgeable of dog colors and which color is what on different breeds, but I was thinking about Icelandic sheepdogs in this case.
I have a friend who's looking into breeding her Icelandic sheepdog(red sable I think with white) and would like to have puppies of said color if possible. How ever she's little picky(in many ways, not just color) about the make choices and doesn't like black, so when she was suggested few black males I think she's maybe little too quick to rule them out. And to begin with there aren't many dogs she likes around... So I was just wondering if could I talk her into liking blacks as potential mates if they can produce the color she'd like. And before someone asks her dog has some show record and is temperament and health tested. :)

I was gonna go into a long winded explanation but I've decided to just link you to this site and hopefully this will make dog genetics easier. http://www.doggenetics.co.uk Definitely start with the basics if it's been a long time since you've learned about genetics in school. What you need to know is under the sections for Black and Agouti.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby olivionary » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:50 am

Have you had dogs before? What breeds?
Three Dogs c: A Springer Spaniel x Basset Hound, a Yorkshire Terrier and a Bedlington Terrier.
The SpringBatt's mildly dog aggressive, particularly around larger dogs but gets on great with the Yorkie and Bedlington.
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?
Large breeds will always be close to my heart. I've never owned one but they appeal to me.
My Dad grew up with a St Bernard x Pyrenees. I really like Pitbulls, but I'm certain they are banned in the UK.
I like most Bully breeds and Mastiff - particularly Neapolitan Mastiffs [both Show type and Working Type].
Working and Sporting Dogs are a preference.
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?
I'm heading to Sixth Form so depending on my schedule will be home quite a bit.
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?
Since I want to get into Dog Grooming, this doesn't matter to me. But as I want to work the dog, short coats or clipped might be preferred.
What kind of energy level are you looking for?
I would want a dog that I could
What do you plan on doing with your dog?
Agility, Flyball, maybe Schutz if I can find somewhere to train them in this and they're a suitable breed and they'd be my running partner when I start it again. XD
What size dog are you wanting?
Medium-Large. No toy breeds.
What age dog are you looking for?
A young dog would be preferred, maybe not a puppy. A slightly older dog may work too depending on personality.
What kind of livestyle do you live?
I'm not busy and often find myself with nothing to do.
edon & shania pixels by syntheticfox - vern by loafhound - vern and laith pixels by rayxray

ImageImage
━━━━━━━━━━━━
olivia. she/her. feb 14.

"You're as subtle
as a wrecking ball."

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ImageImage
olivionary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:17 am

iAmDiversity wrote:The new thread looks great! ;3;

My foster dog Lucy might get a new home tomorrow. I'm so happy for her cause the people sound like the ideal home I've hoped she would get!!! o3o

I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. :)

@Jazi - Creed is totally rocking those goggles! :D I'd love to take Chloe to OC one day. We'd have to go sometime in October though cause that's the only time pet dogs are allowed. At least in MD, I don't know if OC in Jersey has different rules.

How'd he do with the crowds, smells, etc. It's an overload for the senses of a human, I can't imagine what must go on in a dog's brain.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 am

Sage is dreaming right now