Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:15 pm

-♡ShelterPets- wrote:
❤Freddy Fazbear❤ wrote:I'm having some minor issues with my pug RN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she follows me everywhere i go i only got her yesterday and im not sure why i think we have created some bond

How old is she? Bonding is not a problem at all but should probably be countered with time in the crate or just alone time to make sure it doesn't turn into a separation-anxiety issue.

Agreed. It sounds like just isolation distress right now, but could turn into separation anxiety later. It could be just because she's new, but now is the time to set up a good foundation of alone training. Here's a training video for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxhcb-itO4

Also make sure she gets plenty of exercise during the day so she is tired at night.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mintu1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:31 pm

❤Freddy Fazbear❤ wrote:I'm having some minor issues with my pug RN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she follows me everywhere i go i only got her yesterday and im not sure why i think we have created some bond

This is actually pretty common for Pugs, mine does this too, follows me everywhere I go if she can. Pugs are a very socail breed who love to be around people non stop and crave to get attention. (all the time if possible in their mind)

as said though be sure to start training your dog to be alone, short ammounts of time (like getting the mail, throwing out trash etc) at the beginning and then build up to longer periods of time when the dog is ready for it. There is nothing wrong with having a strong bond but you do need to have a dog that wont be in distress if it has to be left alone. The fact that you just got it is also a huge factor, the dog can feel lost you are the only thing it really knows in the new area.
Slowly getting back into CS after being on a 2 year hiatus, nice to meet you all again!
Mintu1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Do you think having Pete and JJ separated for a couple weeks would strain their relationship? Pete may have to stay with my aunt in another state, but if that will make JJ's aggression toward him worse I'll figure out some way around it.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

if i got a dog with seperation anxiety what are some ways to fix it?
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:32 pm

schistad; wrote:
    if i got a dog with seperation anxiety what are some ways to fix it?

Alone training to start...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxhcb-itO4 and really training is going to be key.

Also change up your routine so there are less predictors to the dog when you are going to leave. Put on your coat like you are going to leave and sit back down for awhile before putting the coat away. Do the same with your keys, purse, phone, whatever. For girls, doing their makeup an hair can be a predictor so they do it at other times when they aren't going out. The more you can do this (several times a day would be great) the faster your dog will forget those things are associated with you leaving.

Make sure the dog is tired before you leave and leave it with a safe puzzle toy preferably one that is/you trained to be of high value. Only give this when you leave, take it away when you come home. Practice leaving for short periods of time, give the toy, then take it back when you come home. After a while your dog should hopefully decided that you leaving is a good thing. Slowly up the amount of time the dog is left alone.

When you come home ignore the dog for awhile (10-15mins for example), you want to act like leaving and returning are nothing to get excited about.

Of course there are a whole host of calming products out there you can try, though none will work on their own. Some people find leaving a TV or radio helps, or giving the dog a piece of clothing with your scent on can help too.

If the separation anxiety is truly that (and not the more common isolation distress) then you might need to get professional help. It might even be necessary to looking into doggie daycare, a pet sitter, or a dog walker. They also have devices which you can set up in your house to see, talk to, and even dispense a treat to your pets while you're away via an app.

Here's another video on the subject...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqPQKLh883s
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catheren » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Having some weirdness with my dog and an in-law: My father in law keeps insisting my dog has fleas. He swears they're 'living around her eyes and drinking the eye juice there to survive' (which is sadly not the dumbest thing that's ever come out of his mouth) and he insists the reason I can't FIND them is because I'm not smothering my dog with Vaseline- which is now covering her face.

I've had my dog for 12 years now, I'm VERY familiar her behavior and I know the signs that she's getting fleas. She's showing none of them. As well she shouldn't be because about two years ago we changed her flea medication to the best brand we could find and haven't seen hide nor carapace since. To be sure, and because I know fleas can adapt to medication, I spent a couple hours going at her with a flea comb. While I did some glorious de-tangling of her undercoat, I didn't find any fleas. I did a ye-old monkey-style pick through her fur in all the usual places they hide- armpits, ears, backside, belly- nothing. I am now wholly sure that despite her long thick coat she does NOT have fleas. I have no idea what my father-in-law is finding on my dog and I want him to leave her alone.

Can anyone help me? I really don't like being accused of being a negligent owner and I like LESS that he's smearing stuff around my dogs EYES without consideration for how THAT might hurt her.
Catheren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Catheren wrote:Having some weirdness with my dog and an in-law: My father in law keeps insisting my dog has fleas. He swears they're 'living around her eyes and drinking the eye juice there to survive' (which is sadly not the dumbest thing that's ever come out of his mouth) and he insists the reason I can't FIND them is because I'm not smothering my dog with Vaseline- which is now covering her face.

I've had my dog for 12 years now, I'm VERY familiar her behavior and I know the signs that she's getting fleas. She's showing none of them. As well she shouldn't be because about two years ago we changed her flea medication to the best brand we could find and haven't seen hide nor carapace since. To be sure, and because I know fleas can adapt to medication, I spent a couple hours going at her with a flea comb. While I did some glorious de-tangling of her undercoat, I didn't find any fleas. I did a ye-old monkey-style pick through her fur in all the usual places they hide- armpits, ears, backside, belly- nothing. I am now wholly sure that despite her long thick coat she does NOT have fleas. I have no idea what my father-in-law is finding on my dog and I want him to leave her alone.

Can anyone help me? I really don't like being accused of being a negligent owner and I like LESS that he's smearing stuff around my dogs EYES without consideration for how THAT might hurt her.

I'd keep him away from her. Put her in another room, a crate, etc. And I'd ask your spouse to tell them to leave your dog alone. You could also keep her with you and not let him touch her. Depending on the person though the only true solution may be to stop inviting said in-law over.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catheren » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:
Catheren wrote:Having some weirdness with my dog and an in-law: My father in law keeps insisting my dog has fleas. He swears they're 'living around her eyes and drinking the eye juice there to survive' (which is sadly not the dumbest thing that's ever come out of his mouth) and he insists the reason I can't FIND them is because I'm not smothering my dog with Vaseline- which is now covering her face.

I'd keep him away from her. Put her in another room, a crate, etc. And I'd ask your spouse to tell them to leave your dog alone. You could also keep her with you and not let him touch her. Depending on the person though the only true solution may be to stop inviting said in-law over.
Sadly we're roomates, but I already decided to keep the dog in my room from now on until I can figure out what it is he thinks he's finding.

I considered mites, but I think I would have found mites with the flea comb just as well. A mean part of me thinks he's going blind and mistaking dirt caught up in the goop as fleas, but realistically I don't think his vision is THAT bad.
Catheren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Catheren wrote:
Imzadi83 wrote:

It could be he just doesn't know what he's talking about either.

Sadly we're roomates, but I already decided to keep the dog in my room from now on until I can figure out what it is he thinks he's finding.

I considered mites, but I think I would have found mites with the flea comb just as well. A mean part of me thinks he's going blind and mistaking dirt caught up in the goop as fleas, but realistically I don't think his vision is THAT bad.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:40 pm

any confidence training and trust exercises i can use on my rescue dog to make him more welcoming to people who aren’t a threat.
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me