Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby ru. » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:25 am

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I sorta need a place to talk about this.

On the 12th, Toby had a brush with death.
Toby is my parents' 8 year old Shiba Inu/Pomeranian cross and they have bonded with him closer than either of them have ever bonded with a dog. (I'm a typical adult millennial who still lives at home.)

Anyway, on the 12th my mom woke me up at about 7am in hysterics saying "help me! Something's wrong with Toby!" so I jumped out of bed and I went to see what she was talking about.
When I went into the yard, I found Toby spinning in circles. At first it looked like he was trying to itch his rear, but the more I watched him, the more I realized that this was completely out of his control. He could not stop spinning to the point where he would try to get water but couldn't because he would just continue to spin. He would try to lay down but in seconds he would be spinning again or even involuntarily moving his hind legs.
It was terrifying.

Needless to say, we rushed him to the vet. The closest vet to us is a 2 hour drive away, so it was a very tense 2 hours with my mom crying in the passenger seat and Toby in his crate in the back...Still circling. The entire 2 hours. Uncontrollably.

Once we got there, they were fortunately able to squeeze him in between surgeries. The vets and nurses seemed to be very concerned. Asked us if there was any way that he could have hit his head (No.) or gotten into something (Maybe?).
When we took him out of the crate he was still spinning. :(

We had to leave him there and wait for a call and that was a very tense time as well. When we got the call, the news didn't sound good.

His brain was inflamed, as were the nerves in his eyes causing his pupils to remain at complete dilation which essentially was leaving him mostly blind. :(

They determined it to be one of 3 things but they cannot confirm a cause:

-A brain tumor
-Granulomatous meningoencephalitis (GME)
-One other thing, I can't remember.

They said that if it was GME than the prognosis isn't very good...About 14 days. My parents couldn't afford the MRI to see if it was a brain tumor.
My mom cried so hard that she puked.

SO the vets sent us home with steroids and antibiotics as we were determined to give him a chance.
Watching him that night was heartbreaking. He seemed like a ghost of himself. He continued to spin, although not constantly. But he was very wobbly. His head was bobbing around a lot. And he was extremely restless. It was all very distressing to witness.

The next morning he seemed a lot better though! Though still occasionally spinning, a little wobbly, and very lethargic, he could see a little bit and could walk in straight lines.

Fast forward to now and he is still on steroids and antibiotics. He is back to himself for the most part but I am still concerned. We don't know how he is going to do once the steroids run out. We don't know whether this is in temporary remission that will continue to spring up. And we don't know if there is a tumor in there.

Idk. I guess I just really needed to talk about this. Very scary situation.

| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:28 am

I am so, so angry. My mom randomly decided to bring home a pygmy goat, I told her it wouldn't work with JJ but she insisted that she would bring it back. Of course, JJ and Pete both went nuts trying to kill it, so I said to bring it back, but now she's refusing to bring it back even though JJ could kill it in two seconds. She thinks a little board barricade will keep the dogs away. I don't want to see this goat die, so I got into a fight with her, and she said she's doing it because "she cares". No, she cares about having a cute pet, if she cared about the goat she would bring it back.

I know they're going to make me bury it too. They think burying all the animals they screwed up on doesn't affect me bur it does. I know my dogs, I know they'll get it, and I'll have to bury another one.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:53 am

We got word on Justin! My god I'm so excited.

A family in Oregon found him wandering in their backyard on Monday. He has cuts on his paws because he got into glass or something else sharp. They responded to my mom's FB post with a pic of him this morning, my poor baby!
They said he stayed in their barn for a night and then came up to the house when their daughter gave him strips of beef jerky. Somewhere along his travels, he lost his collar so they thought he was a stray.

We're starting the drive up there to get him and then we're going home and packing for the trip to Japan right away.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:57 am

LizzytheWolf wrote:We got word on Justin! My god I'm so excited.

A family in Oregon found him wandering in their backyard on Monday. He has cuts on his paws because he got into glass or something else sharp. They responded to my mom's FB post with a pic of him this morning, my poor baby!
They said he stayed in their barn for a night and then came up to the house when their daughter gave him strips of beef jerky. Somewhere along his travels, he lost his collar so they thought he was a stray.

We're starting the drive up there to get him and then we're going home and packing for the trip to Japan right away.

I'm glad Justin's okay.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:11 pm

i've had a really awful day but i cannot discuss that with you guys unfortunately( not information i'm allowed to tell ) but to cheer my traumatic stressful day my mom sent me this. still feel like total crap, but at least it's done and over with.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:28 pm

^ I'm sorry you had a bad day. That is a really cute picture.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:
LizzytheWolf wrote:We got word on Justin! My god I'm so excited.

I'm glad Justin's okay.

Thank you❤️
Mom just got off the phone with the father and it turns out he was once a vet assistant so he bandaged up Justin's paws. They've sent lots of pictures and I can't wait to bring him home.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Day 13! Theme: Nose!

Kes had to learn a new trick in the middle of the session today. She knows 'side' meaning lay on her side on cue, and knows 'nails' which is laying on her back between my legs with her paws in the air. She doesn't know how to lay on her back with her paws up without support though. Well now she does I guess lol.

Also she got to meet my Sparrow ❤️. My two heart animals in one photo makes me ridiculously happy lol. She's such a good girl, she hunts wild rats but my pet rats she knows not to touch except kisses lol.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:44 pm

^^ What a cute lil snoot she has!!
    Aww that photo with the rat and her is just precious! If I remember correctly didn't Kes get bit on the tongue by a rat? xD

@Lizzy
    Congratz on getting Justin back!! I was really worried about him. Glad he's safe, and relatively unharmed.
    (Any idea why he'd travel all the way out there??)

Also to everyone on the thread who's going through hard times, I'm so incredibly sorry you have to go through all of it!! Y'all are in my thought. <3 I really do hope things get better.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes yes she did lol. You see her tongue right? She has this fascination with licking the rats. When they are out, they generally don't mind but she also sticks it through their cage bars and then they will bite her tongue lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me