Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Flossie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 am

^ Labradoodle isn’t actually a breed.

Hope you all had a great Christmas! Lacey had lots of fun unwrapping all the presents, and carrying the wrapping paper all around the house lol.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 am

worked on some stacking practice with the boys. also, kasper is literally peeing on himself when he uses the bathroom. it’s so freakin weird. he’ll stand there and lift his hind leg and pee right on his arm hair. poor loki is so low to the ground i had to trim his hair down on his belly. both boys have no fur in the stream zone now lol.

eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am

Aww, Kasper and Loki are adorable. Olive looks like a Corgi/German Shepherd, maybe. I think Shepherd because of the marking on her back and her ears, maybe, but that could be several other breeds, too.

Anyways, I have a question regarding my little baby, Nina. She's a collie/australian cattle dog/maybe something else? and she's kind of new, we've had her since October. She's the sweetest girl. Problem is, she's really dog-aggressive, and we can't figure out why. She's okay seeing another dog behind a fence (unless it's a chain link fence and I don't know there's a dog and that was a fiasco she tried to jump the fence and almost did) or seeing it from afar, but if a dog's on the other side of the street, she loses it and I have to hold her leash short and keep a hand on her collar just to keep her from lunging. I've been giving her treats every time she sees or hears another dog to try and associate other dogs with good and treats, but it's not working all that well. We don't have any friends with dogs to get her to socialize a little and work her way up to being friendly, so does anyone have any suggestions?
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 am

I took off her cone and took her for a walk. I don't think I'll put the cone back on, since there's only a day left according to the vet and she's shown no interest in licking at it. Still watching though, if she licks I'll put it back on for tonight. She was very relieved to be back outside, and Wienie was yelping in excitement to see her.

Edit:
Tankie wrote:Anyways, I have a question regarding my little baby, Nina. She's a collie/australian cattle dog/maybe something else? and she's kind of new, we've had her since October. She's the sweetest girl. Problem is, she's really dog-aggressive, and we can't figure out why. She's okay seeing another dog behind a fence (unless it's a chain link fence and I don't know there's a dog and that was a fiasco she tried to jump the fence and almost did) or seeing it from afar, but if a dog's on the other side of the street, she loses it and I have to hold her leash short and keep a hand on her collar just to keep her from lunging. I've been giving her treats every time she sees or hears another dog to try and associate other dogs with good and treats, but it's not working all that well. We don't have any friends with dogs to get her to socialize a little and work her way up to being friendly, so does anyone have any suggestions?

She might not ever be fond of dogs, so you should focus on managing her aggressive behavior. Don't worry about getting her to be friendly. You want her to pay attention to you instead of other dogs. When she sees a dog, call her attention back to you and reward her when she looks at you. When you walk past a dog and she doesn't act out, reward her. Try not to reward reactive behavior though, if she acts out then don't reward her until she's focused on you again.

If she doesn't ignore a dog even when you have treats and try to get her attention, then you're a little too close and need to move away from the dog. Little by little you can walk closer to dogs as she ignores them better.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Guys this thing is broken, I think I need to return it? Lol

Shes so weird, but dang she was tired this morning! We went on a short hike last night, and she had a ton of fun playing with Kota and Miya. I’ve started giving her more freedom and not recalling her as often so she got to run a bit more than usual which she loved.

She also was a idiot and took a flying leap off this ledge 🙄. Luckily she wasn’t hurt, but dang she scared me! Don’t think she realized there wasn’t anything on the other side. After I made her go sit by it to show how far down she went lol.

Sometimes I wonder if naming her after a bird gave her unrealistic expectation of her species lol! She’s such a brat sometimes. Unfortunately I didn’t realize what she was thinking in time to say a cue to stop her, normally I realize what she’s about to do to stop it but she surprised me last night.

Also got my first judgmental reaction to Kestrel wearing a prong. I went into petsmart to buy a mouse, and she stayed in a nice loose heel, sat while I was talking to the employee, just was being a good girl. Employee judged me hardcore for the prong though. Poor Kes is clearly abused, someone should take her away from me.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm

The snow here is now just up past Olive's belly, but she barely seems to notice, lol.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:17 pm

@Middy - Yikes! Best be extra careful! There is a spot sort of near me where dozens of dogs have died from randomly/accidentally jumping off of a high drop off!
Also, hahah poor Kes is right! You treat her so horribly that someone better take her away /s

@Taiger Lilly Olive is getting so big already! I'm so curious to know her DNA results!

______

I hope your pups and you all had a great holiday! (: Edgar and Toby definitely did!

Toby (my parents' Shiba Inu/Pomeranian cross)

Edgar of course

| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Whataboutlove » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 am

We just put my dog down an hour ago due to cancer. How do I cope? :(
Whataboutlove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bouanich » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:28 am

I just got back from a vacation while my mom was dog sitting her and OMG. She got in her bed on her own, and pooped outside for the first time! <3
1514665800290-2074628726.jpg
1514665800290-2074628726.jpg (336.79 KiB) Viewed 150 times

Im so proud of Izzy!
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐒𝐔𝐍,
𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐀𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐀 !

hi, i'm lilah !! she/her , canadian (EST) , enfp-t 7w6
carrd / th / stats.fmtexttexttexttexttexttexttex ⋆。°✩
bouanich

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 am

Whataboutlove wrote:We just put my dog down an hour ago due to cancer. How do I cope? :(

*hugs* My deepest condolences for your loss. I would recommend talking about it and letting yourself grieve as you need to. Have some comfort food, etc. You might check with local humane and animal control recourses near you to see if their are any pet bereavement classes nearby. Time is the best healer. Try to remember the good times and take comfort in happy memories.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me