Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Skysong » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:31 am

My brother has a teacup Chihuahua
And he jumped off my moms bed and hurt his neck. (Crammed his spine into his skull or something like that)
And I used the last three pieces of lunch meat in a salad.
And he's freaking out because "I needed that for my dog to give him medication!"
Told him to use cheese. Works just as well because our dogs are spoiled and get people food.
mostly any leftover meat, but still.

"I can't give him cheese! He'll get fat!"
he's a 7 pound teacup chihuahua.
he's already overweight.

I'm just
We aren't even sure this dog is going to survive this neck injury because my brother doesn't put him in the crate like the vet told him to. he has his painkiller and his anti inflammatory but he's not being put in the crate. he just started putting him in the crate a day or two ago.
When the injury happened about Thursday morning.
He's going back to the vet on the 4th to see if he's going to actually survive this injury.
Which at the rate he's going? It's not seeming like he's going to heal from it.

So done with my brother freaking out about every little thing.
We have things in the house he can get his dog to take medication with.
Not just lunch meat.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:36 am

^ Happy Gotcha Day Lacey!!! :D
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Hey guys, as a biologist and someone who is heavily involved in the wolfdog community and helps around with wolfdog rescues, a few things need to be said because there is blatant misinformation going around here. Not really going to comment on the situation, but it's good to know the laws (this is just for the US by the way. I don't know the other country's laws on these animals).

1. Since, by law, wolf dogs are considered hybrid animals (they're really not but like... that's such a long discussion and I don't want to type it all out right now). That means that there’s no approved rabies vaccination for wolfdogs. While the federal government officially sees them as domestic pets (and leaves their regulation to individual states and municipalities), they’re treated as wild animals when it comes to rabies. Thus, the wolfdog who bites a person can be considered a rabies risk — even if he’s been vaccinated — because the USDA, which regulates veterinary medicines, does not extend approval for use of the standard rabies vaccine with “hybrids” (the vaccine is approved for use in dogs, cats, ferrets and horses). Euthanasia is necessary, the USDA says, because the only reliable test for rabies requires an examination of the animal’s brain. Repeating that because it's a Very Big Deal: the government CAN and WILL kill your wolfdog (EVEN IF IT IS NOT ONE) if it bites someone.

2. Most ACTUAL wolf dogs are measured in content, not percentage. Saying that you dog is 80% timber wolf is usually.... it's not incorrect per say but it's not something you'll hear people say either. Low content, mid content and high content are words to look out for. Some people will say the generation as well (f1, f2, f3 etc). People are often more specific and say like low mid or upper mid, etc.

3. They are banned in the states of Alaska, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Wyoming and regulated based on content in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Virginia. Check your local laws as well because some cities have different rules than their states.

4. Wolfdogs submitted to county shelters are not available for adoption to the general public, and, as a result, are often put to sleep. They can NOT be adopted out by shelters as that is illegal.

5. USDA released a report estimating that there were about 300,000 wolfdogs in the US; how they came to this metric is unclear, as the numbers are impossible to nail down. Some people deny their pets’ heritage, while others claim their 100 percent dogs are part wolf. In fact, experts say that the vast majority of animals sold (or bragged about) as wolfdogs actually possess very low wolf content, or none at all.

6. Wolfdogs, even low content, WILL have visible content. They will NOT look like german shepherds when they're older. Phenotypeing is often difficult as puppies, but easier as they mature. It is both a combination of behavioral traits & appearance (depending if they're an F1, F2, F3, etc) that makes them wolf dogs. A high content wolfdog will NOT look like a dog, it will look like a wolf.

7. Fun fact time! According to the ADA (which regulates service animals), wolfdogs are not actually dogs (read: service animals must be either a miniature horse or a dog), so therefore they can't be officially recognized as service dogs. They can be tasked trained, but would not be able to have public access rights. (note the big difference between ESAs, Serice Dogs and Therapy dogs tho guys)

For viewing pleasure:

Low content:
Mid content:
High content:
No content:

I don't post here often but I implore you guys to research a bit before making comments on a subject because it spreads misinformation to others. If you guys want to learn more about wolf dogs and how to phenotype, PM me! I love talking about this kind of stuff! :>

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Hello, Sweet Ajax!

Postby ossa di cervo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey all! I'm going to disregard the wolfdog chat Just wanted to pop in and introduce my Mr. Ajax boy-o and ask a few questions while I'm at it.

He's in the foreground getting chased by one of his best buddies, the boxer GiGi! His daddy was a big ol' boxer and his momma was a pretty, petite husky so he's quite the interesting, energetic man. He's got the fox dive of a boxer and vocals of a husky and man, oh man can he use them legs aaaaaallllllll daaaaayyyyy long. Now then, on to his beautiful life story...

I got this sweet little man when he was eight weeks old on June 5th 2015! Look at that precious little face and tell me you aren't in love. I admit that with him being my first dog on my own I spoiled him so. much. and he grew very attached very quickly. This foolish mistake of mine has led me to being the proud owner of a separation anxiety riddled pooch and he's handling his new separation "training" very, very well.

When my precious Ajax turned seven months old, disaster struck. All his friends lived across the street and we spent a lot of time over there so he could romp and play and be the active dog he was born as. Since there were no dog parks in the little town I got him in this was usually the only form of doggy play time he got. Anyways, I went to go pick him up from across the street and take him home - I never used a leash because he learned very quickly to stay at my heel and follow obediently (seriously, he's a dream off leash) and while walking I didn't notice that he'd fallen behind. I was across the street when I turned around and saw him taking a potty break near a tree. Soon after he took off at a dead sprint to join me again like the loyal pooch he has always been. A car tore around the corner of our 20 mph street at easily 40 mph and took my seven month of puppy out. I had to stand there and listen and watch as my baby rolled under this speeding car and scream in the shock and pain. I instantly fetched my roommates and we were off. The next day the vet gave us promising news; he'd lost some teeth, fractured his jaw in three different spots and broken his tail but he was looking okay. My puppy was going to be okay! He bounced back at a shocking rate regaining the personality I thought lost with that horrendous event. His upper jaw is forever pushed back a few centimeters and he no longer has any of his front teeth (aside from one very crooked lower canine) but he has a love for life I don't think I'll ever find in any other creature. This picture is the face I always get to see and giggle at. My strong, brave little man.

This is Ajax and his best of best friends; his sister, Maya! They don't get to see each other as often as both me and Maya's owner have moved to different towns but when they do see each other it's like an adorable reunion each time. When Ajax got hit Maya was the most sympathetic girl I've seen; she laid with him, licked his muzzle and slept as her brother healed. When he got more playful Maya would still play but it had changed and taken a much more gentle look. She no longer batted at him and knocked him down like she used to, she instead allowed Ajax to grab her legs and she often played chase more then anything else. You can definitely see more of the boxer in her and the shape of her skull whereas Ajax's head is more husky shaped.

bonus picture of a sleepy dog named Ajax

I all hope you enjoy hearing about Ajax and his odd breed combo! I never would have dreamed of a boxer x husky mix looking anything like him and yet here we are! A lot of people ask if he has any Rhodesian Ridgeback in him but I have to repeatedly explain that's just his thick husky coat.
THEXTHEXTHEXTHE
───────────────────────────────
Create A Clan - ➳ who are you again..? - Link Name Here - Link Name Here
─────────────────────────────
ossa di cervo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:36 am

if your pups have a instagram, oppie would appreciate the follows!
https://www.instagram.com/chihuahua.oppie/
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 am

Hazza; wrote:if your pups have a instagram, oppie would appreciate the follows!
https://www.instagram.com/chihuahua.oppie/

beautiful pup! is oppie a purebred chihuahua?
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby forevermine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 am

My little Leah.

ALSO, I am desperate for help. She will not stop peeing. Everywhere. I open the door and when she sees me or my boyfriend she will pee a little, or when I take her bowl to give her food or water, she will pee, when I go outside, she will pee, when I pick her up, she will pee. I know she is excited but holy cow I don't know what to do. I'm also having trouble house training her, as she really doesn't mind sleeping in her pee and poo. (She eats and plays with her poo she makes in the night)
I don't know what to dooooooo :((((

Image . Image . Image . Image
forevermine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:46 am

essys.girl wrote:My little Leah.

ALSO, I am desperate for help. She will not stop peeing. Everywhere. I open the door and when she sees me or my boyfriend she will pee a little, or when I take her bowl to give her food or water, she will pee, when I go outside, she will pee, when I pick her up, she will pee. I know she is excited but holy cow I don't know what to do. I'm also having trouble house training her, as she really doesn't mind sleeping in her pee and poo. (She eats and plays with her poo she makes in the night)

Here's a video on housebreaking that may help, espically if you do it consistently...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI Since you know what things cause her to pee take her out before they happen. If she pees before you fill her bowl. Take her out before you feed her.

With submissive urination I would try to have calmer greetings with your dog, outside if possible. Ignore her when you first come in and maybe try some alone training so that she becomes more used to your comings and goings and is less aroused by them.

Eating with poo can have a medical component and so can submissive urination so I highly advise seeing a vet to rule out any medical problems as no behavioral training will help if there is a underlying medical cause.

How/where does she sleep? If she's playing with her poop at night instead of sleeping she is not getting enough exercise during the day.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby forevermine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
essys.girl wrote:My little Leah.

Here's a video on housebreaking that may help, espically if you do it consistently...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI Since you know what things cause her to pee take her out before they happen. If she pees before you fill her bowl. Take her out before you feed her.

With submissive urination I would try to have calmer greetings with your dog, outside if possible. Ignore her when you first come in and maybe try some alone training so that she becomes more used to your comings and goings and is less aroused by them.

Eating with poo can have a medical component and so can submissive urination so I highly advise seeing a vet to rule out any medical problems as no behavioral training will help if there is a underlying medical cause.

How/where does she sleep? If she's playing with her poop at night instead of sleeping she is not getting enough exercise during the day.

She acts and sleeps fine, and is always full of energy. II play with her all day, and she sleeps in the room with me. She will won't cry out of her crate until she's already done. And with the poo thing it's because she wants to play like I'm trying to pick up her poo and she will grab the napkin with it in it and fling it everywhere omg she drives me nuts. The main problem though is that I have tried everything to get her to stop peeing all the time, and it's not the kind of pee where it's because you need to go, it just leaks and she doesn't even realize it. I tried what you just suggested to me right now when I went to feed her, and I didn't even look at her when I opened the door, and when I did look she had already peed a little. -.-

Image . Image . Image . Image
forevermine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:09 am

^ It's not an immediate fix, nothing will be, it will take time to recondition her response from being excited to being calm. You have to be consistent for as long as it takes. It will also take time for her to have better physical control over her bladder.

Also what is "all the time"? If she is peeing excessively it could also be a medical problem and she needs to get seen by a vet.

What do you mean "will won't cry out of her crate until she's already done" ? Do you mean she will pee in her crate and cry out afterwards? She's crying because she doesn't want to lay in a pee soaked crate all night. Does she do this at a regular time during the night? If so you can set a clock and get up before she goes and take her outside. If that isn't possible give her more space via a puppy pen and give her a puppy pad or some other potty system she can use during the night.

As far are the poop goes don't give her the opportunity to play with the napkin. Put her somewhere else where she can't get to you while you clean.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me