Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby .Coffee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:57 am

Soo my cat, Ruby, is turning 14 soon and she seems really healthy! We take her in for regular checkups and aside from some issues with throwing up after eating food (which have been remedied since we switched to slowly feeding her wet food twice a day per vet recommendation) she's extremely healthy for her age. She sleeps a lot and only goes outside occasionally. She's very vocal, too!

I've had her since I was 8 years old and I love her to bits, but within the next year or two I plan on getting married and moving out and my parents aren't sure that taking her with me is the best thing because I'll be working a lot and as is she gets a lot of attention and this has been her home since she was very young. She also hates change. I know it's probably going to be for the best, but it makes me really sad. Every time I'm home she's always 'coincidentally' in the same room I'm in. I can barely remember life without her. Has anyone had any experience moving with a senior cat? Is there a way to move that won't stress her out? Would it be best for me to leave her with my parents and just visit occasionally?

I realize that it'll probably be best to leave her here and visit as often as possible. My dad is on the edge of retirement and is almost always home, she can safely go outside whenever she wants, my sister has my old room (the room that she lived in as a kitten) and she likes to sleep in there, and she has special feeding needs and I'm fairly certain she has separation anxiety.

Idk, I realize I kind of answered the question for myself, and nothing is set in stone at this point, but it makes me kind of sad to think about. Has anyone moved out and left a childhood cat at home?
☧ Catholic | ISFJ | Toddler mom

I pop on here every once in a while but I'm not super active.
.Coffee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:51 am

.Coffee wrote:Soo my cat, Ruby, is turning 14 soon and she seems really healthy! We take her in for regular checkups and aside from some issues with throwing up after eating food (which have been remedied since we switched to slowly feeding her wet food twice a day per vet recommendation) she's extremely healthy for her age. She sleeps a lot and only goes outside occasionally. She's very vocal, too!

I've had her since I was 8 years old and I love her to bits, but within the next year or two I plan on getting married and moving out and my parents aren't sure that taking her with me is the best thing because I'll be working a lot and as is she gets a lot of attention and this has been her home since she was very young. She also hates change. I know it's probably going to be for the best, but it makes me really sad. Every time I'm home she's always 'coincidentally' in the same room I'm in. I can barely remember life without her. Has anyone had any experience moving with a senior cat? Is there a way to move that won't stress her out? Would it be best for me to leave her with my parents and just visit occasionally?

I realize that it'll probably be best to leave her here and visit as often as possible. My dad is on the edge of retirement and is almost always home, she can safely go outside whenever she wants, my sister has my old room (the room that she lived in as a kitten) and she likes to sleep in there, and she has special feeding needs and I'm fairly certain she has separation anxiety.

Idk, I realize I kind of answered the question for myself, and nothing is set in stone at this point, but it makes me kind of sad to think about. Has anyone moved out and left a childhood cat at home?

I haven't had to leave any of my cats behind, but I understand how you feel. It's tough having to part ways with a cat you've had for so long. But, considering her age, it really would be best to just leave her where she is. She's lived there all her life, moving her to a new place would be very stressful for her, and there's only so much that can be done for it. Just keep visiting her, I'm sure she'll enjoy that. c:

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Antigravity » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 am

Marking!
Male ❌ Canadian ❌ Snakes, cats and cocker spaniels 💖❌ PM me if you need to chat ~❌

I loved you
and you made me,
hate me
You gave me hate, see?
It saved me and these tears are deadly
~Hollywood Undead

Antigravity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm

I have a lovely female cat named Misty, she's a Maine Coon Russian Blue mix, fluffy, so I nicknamed her fuzz butt. She will be turning 16 years old on the 22nd of February, so in a few weeks.
She's in fair health other than arthritis, she eats and drinks well. Though back on the 21st January she had the scare of her life, she was enjoying the front yard, never been a problem, when a dog attacked her, no punctures or lacerations, we got her to the vet and she had x-rays, no internal damage, she was bruised, pulled muscles, and it flared up her arthritis badly. She's now on medication for the pain and inflammation. My Sisters partner tackled the dog twice, got it off her but the dog got free and pulled poor Misty by her hind quarters off the fence as her arthritis slowed her climb and escape, the dog was tackled off her, and I managed to unceremoniously shove her under the gap at the bottom of the side gate putting fence between her and the now pinned by Sisters partner dog.
Scary thing is the dog lives up the road from us about 10 houses away. We gave a report and the dog owner is being fined $1000 as we heard from the City Council today.

Though as of yesterday she's started peeing on the living room rug, it's so random, and I'm clueless as to why when things were going so well after the incident. Delayed stress or something along those lines perhaps. As she used to go morning and night, outside, and she's safe to go out the back, and has been since the incident, she even went out the front with me supervising today.
She only pees of the rug a little bit, the main event is still done outside, and she has a cat door which she's been using. It can't be because of Sisters partners cat because they've been here over a year.

Has anyone experienced this type of behavior in their cat?

I'm not after medical advice, as with her x-rays she had blood work done, she's fine except for the arthritis which she is now on a pain anti-inflammatory medication for (the animal version of the medication I'm on for my arthritis, which I found amusing).
Sun Dog Litter/Set Auction
My Birthday 7th May

ImageImageImage
Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eolian » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm

My cat who is going on a year in May has only been raised with my dog since we took him in and it hasn't been a problem, they play and share and don't fight over food and the older my boy gets he started meowing when my dog would be outside and we've tried taking him outside before and he would just run back in or refuse to be put down but for a week now he has tried to go outside and waits by the front door. There are stray cats outside and some owned ones that my neighbors let out for the day but my cat has been fixed since last August when he was about 4 months old. So I have no clue why he would want to go outside other than wanting to be with my dog.
eolian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm

365 wrote:My cat who is going on a year in May has only been raised with my dog since we took him in and it hasn't been a problem, they play and share and don't fight over food and the older my boy gets he started meowing when my dog would be outside and we've tried taking him outside before and he would just run back in or refuse to be put down but for a week now he has tried to go outside and waits by the front door. There are stray cats outside and some owned ones that my neighbors let out for the day but my cat has been fixed since last August when he was about 4 months old. So I have no clue why he would want to go outside other than wanting to be with my dog.

Have you tried slowly harness training so he can go outside its the safest way to keep him from running of. If he follows the dog once he is use to the harness try taking him for short walks with the dog he might enjoy it.

I got a kitten yesterday Noctis ( yes FFXV Noctis ) I will try and get some pictures when he is not trying to jump of or on to high places.
Everyone loves him including Kaname and Zero ( Zero adores the pipsqueak already ) and he loves the dogs considering he has never seen one. He is currently curled up in my lap asleep.

Also the reason I havnt posted in awhile is because I had to have Ulquiorra put to sleep at the beginning of December its been the hardest time for me ( this cat was heart ). I still blame myself even though its something I couldn't prevent I'm still going to miss him no matter how long it is and I don't think anyone will ever replace him.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DizzyGlitchez » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:57 am

[attachment=0]IMG_0103.JPG[/[center]attachment]
This is my cat, Blink.
I took the photo normally, i swear.
It was the server that put the photo upside down.
Attachments
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG (204.85 KiB) Viewed 96 times
DizzyGlitchez

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am

okayy so my kitty, leo, is about 9 years old and has always been an outside cat. he is a territorial as most male cats are and has gotten into fights with other cats that hung around the house too long, but he is actually very docile. about 3 months ago, however, some neighbors moved in down the street, about two houses down, and they also brought their pet (grey) cat. this cat started wondering around our yard and such and i often caught my cat hissing at it, especially when i am out there (perhaps he's protective/territorial over me not just our house). but the grey cat has yet to disappear from our lives and it has gotten to a point in which the two just stare calmly at each other, about five to ten feet apart, near my cat's food bowl. my cat no longer tries to fight the other, but i think he still may chase it off from time to time. the grey cat also tends to run whenever it sees me or my family but today, it actually tried to approach me multiple times even with my cat right next to me. the grey cat never let me approach it, and it would never get 4 feet close to me.

i honestly have no clue whats going on
      sometimes i think the two cats are in a western movie-esque stand off
      or that the grey cat just wants to be buds
      idek
flie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbow Dash » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 am

My cat every once in a while will smack my dog. Nothing serious, just a charge and a bap. But lately it's been getting worse. I got him one of those calming collars and put in on and he seems pretty chill but I don't think it'll work that fast.

Anyone have experience with calming collars? I'd love to get a behaviorist for a more permanent fix but the ones here are like 500 bucks for one visit and I can't afford it.
[: Veterinary professional | Female | Hobbyist artist :]
Image Image Image Image
New Chicken Smoothie Tarot
[: Free-to-Use CS Graphics || Request Free CS Graphics || Every Pet As a Stamp Project :]
Sig art by me || Avatar by Scragster || Busy with work! Might be slow to respond!
Rainbow Dash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ButternutSquashums » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 am

This is my cat Tipper. He's a few months old, and kind of ridiculous but I love him all the same.
Poor boy keeps sneaking into the dresser drawers for some reason? Which makes getting pretty much anything out a hassle for a good hour.
Attachments
tippy3.jpg
He thought it was for him
tippy3.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 38 times
tipp2.jpg
tipp2.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 38 times
tippy1.jpg
tippy1.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 38 times
ButternutSquashums

My pets
My items
My wishlist