Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Lunarsnow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 pm

oakhearted wrote:Yet feeding your cat wet food constantly can be very bad for your cat, they need to have a diet of dry food too...

Wet food is generally better than dry food unless it's very low quality wet food/the dry is higher quality than the wet alternative or your cat is on a vet prescribed dry diet. As far as I'm aware, the only possible thing that cats "need" dry for is for teeth cleaning but many cats don't really chew (or the kibble pieces aren't big enough to make them chew) so dry food doesn't clean their teeth anyway. And if you get dental checkups for your cat, then teeth-wise it doesn't really matter if they're on wet, dry, or both.

Combo wet/dry feeding is definitely better than dry alone but I wouldn't say they need dry food unless they refuse to eat wet alone or your vet strongly recommends combo feeding for whatever reason.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deadroses. » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:23 am

hello, i was thinking about getting a hairless cat aka a sphinx cat (idk if that’s spelled right) but besides lots of blankets and stuff to keep them warm, what other special care do they need? Aka diet, ext.
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 am

deadroses. wrote:hello, i was thinking about getting a hairless cat aka a sphinx cat (idk if that’s spelled right) but besides lots of blankets and stuff to keep them warm, what other special care do they need? Aka diet, ext.

They need to be bathed once a week with specialized cat shampoo, your house needs to stay around 70 degrees Fahrenheit, if it dips below that they will need a sweater or something warm to wear. They do get sunburned so you'll need to monitor how long they lay in the sun. This site gives some basic tips, but I strongly recommend you do your own research so you're completely prepared before you get a sphynx. Keep in mind that these cats are fairly high maintenance.

-----

On a different topic, my poor Wynnie girl is having problems with stomach upsets. :c Right now I think it's because my youngest cat is becoming more demanding and aggressive with the food, so Wynnie feels like she needs to scarf down her portion before it gets stolen. I'm hoping that separating them during feeding time will help, as well as a diet switch. She's acting normally otherwise, drinking and going to the bathroom and everything, so hopefully changing things around is all that's needed. Of course if I have to, I will take her to the vet, I would just like to run through this idea and see how it goes first before needlessly stressing her out with a vet visit.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deadroses. » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Queenie! wrote:
deadroses. wrote:hello, i was thinking about getting a hairless cat aka a sphinx cat (idk if that’s spelled right) but besides lots of blankets and stuff to keep them warm, what other special care do they need? Aka diet, ext.

They need to be bathed once a week with specialized cat shampoo, your house needs to stay around 70 degrees Fahrenheit, if it dips below that they will need a sweater or something warm to wear. They do get sunburned so you'll need to monitor how long they lay in the sun. This site gives some basic tips, but I strongly recommend you do your own research so you're completely prepared before you get a sphynx. Keep in mind that these cats are fairly high maintenance.

-----

On a different topic, my poor Wynnie girl is having problems with stomach upsets. :c Right now I think it's because my youngest cat is becoming more demanding and aggressive with the food, so Wynnie feels like she needs to scarf down her portion before it gets stolen. I'm hoping that separating them during feeding time will help, as well as a diet switch. She's acting normally otherwise, drinking and going to the bathroom and everything, so hopefully changing things around is all that's needed. Of course if I have to, I will take her to the vet, I would just like to run through this idea and see how it goes first before needlessly stressing her out with a vet visit.

Thank you also i hope your cat gets better :)
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zing » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:16 pm

man,, i love my cat, she's around 8-9 months old,
silver tabby, loved cuddles..

yeah, loved.
i'm unsure what happened now.
from time to time she will come up to me when i'm laying in bed,
and lay near my head, purr, and fall asleep.

but never like she was before-- she'd follow me everywhere,
i still give her the same amount of attention as before.
i know she loves me, but she just isn't showing much love--

she does purr.. a lot. an awful lot, actually.
zing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:30 pm

okeke wrote:

yeah, loved.

A sudden change in personality is a good reason to consider a vet visit. Purring itself can mean many different things, cats even use it to comfort themselves when they are in pain so its not always a sign that they are happy and pleased, and I know that some cats will be less social when they arent feeling well, so maybe do consider taking your cat for a vet checkup.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zing » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Thalassic wrote:
okeke wrote:

yeah, loved.

A sudden change in personality is a good reason to consider a vet visit. Purring itself can mean many different things, cats even use it to comfort themselves when they are in pain so its not always a sign that they are happy and pleased, and I know that some cats will be less social when they arent feeling well, so maybe do consider taking your cat for a vet checkup.

thank you for the advice,
she has recently had a vet checkup.

there is nothing wrong with her, but i found
that when i left her for a small bit, she'd curl up
in front of me for a belly rub, lmao,, only
when she misses me

she only purrs when i pet her, and she plays,
eats, etc. just fine
zing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 am

okeke wrote:

yeah, loved.

Young cats go through mood swings just like kids. My cat, Pumpkin, used to love curling up on my pillow when I took naps on the couch, would lay on my collarbone when I went to bed, and was just very affectionate. As she's gotten a little older, though, she's become more aggressive and less affectionate. She's a little over a year old now, so I'm betting it's something akin to a "rebellious teenager" phase that she'll grow out of in a couple years. Cats have their own little worlds, that's for sure.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby msmoof » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 am

My cat is a literal dog. He plays fetch, follows me everywhere, and he even LOVES being rubbed on the belly. Weird, right? Including the two cats I have now, I've had 5 in total throughout my life. None of them would let me rub there belly. its so weird, but he loves it. He's like a child honestly. I'll wake up early in the morning for school, and he will run around crazily until i let him outside after he eats. then Ill come home and hes usually inside sleeping, or waiting for me to let him inside. idk, but i just love him so much. We do think there might be something mentally wrong with him though, because hes literally so weird. For example, i was wheeling my empty suitcase through the house and he jumped in while it was moving and just rode in it. he has polydactylism, so he has seven toes on each foot :lol: my mom and i think that might have even affected him mentally a bit lololol
msmoof

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:30 pm

So, little update on my girl Wynnie, and I'm super confused now?
She's developed this aversion to chicken, so I thought maybe the thing making her sick was a food allergy, like maybe she's become allergic to chicken. She wouldn't eat this soft food I bought that has chicken and tuna in it, so I boiled some plain chicken for her, but she wouldn't eat that either, and she's completely refusing to eat the regular dry food now. My dad bought a small bag of a different brand of dry food, but it has chicken in it so I didn't think it would be good for her, but she's stopped puking anything up since she's been eating it. So now I'm thinking maybe it was just the food she was eating before? The only other idea I had is that maybe it was a hairball that got stuck in her stomach, because yesterday she puked again but there was hairballs in it. I dunno, I'm just kind of watching her now, making sure she's still doing okay.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────