Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Stumpy. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Luzien wrote:
NerdInHufflepuff wrote:We just got another puppy and Susie couldn't be less pleased. I'm trying to be kind to her and show she hasn't been forgotten. She still seems to like being petted and all, but whenever the pup gets within a foot of her she starts hissing. Any tips?

that sounds as if you get many puppys^^

maybe build her places that are up where she can go but the puppy not...like those wand cat walks and slleeping places that are put on the wall too.... cats do love to sun bath on high places and even more when it is near a window... a high cat tree could do well too

when it is only hissing, it is not so bad, just start giving her calm places that are to high to reash for the puppy^^
maybe work both with clicker and treats, so they learn that something nice and fun will be when both are togerther.

(We only have two)
I'll try the treats. She already has plenty of hiding spots and areas out of reach from the dogs. I don't think I can get the clicker, but I can work with the treats. I may not have much time to work with it though because the puppy is really young.
Hungry for art.
he/him
wildlife biology major
Stumpy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

above: a recent photo of pepper (sorry if the image is really large)

recently, we've been having some feral cat problems.

a feral female cat had a litter in our neighbour's backyard two months ago. we tried contacting the local humane society, but decided against surrendering them because there was a rather pricy fee involved. we've looked into animal control, but the local animal control is affiliated with the humane society so i doubt they'll take the cats for free.

anyway, the kittens weren't really a problem in the first month or so of their life, because they just hung out on our neighbour's woodpile. but now that they've grown a bit older, they are much more curious.

they have been coming into our backyard. that wouldn't be so bad if pepper were cat-friendly, but she is far from that.

the most curious kitten is a little calico who've we nicknamed "slinky", because of her rather slinky walk. the cat was sitting right outside of our glass sliding door, and pepper saw her through it. pepper freaked out, and began spitting and growling and hissing. curious, slinky approached pepper and then pepper tried attacking her through the glass. slinky backed off immediately, thankfully, but pepper was extremely anxious. she kept pacing back and forth from window to window, looking for the kittens.

we don't know what to do. the kittens are distressing pepper, and i can't think of any way to get them off our property. i would try to catch them and bring them somewhere where they could live/be fostered, but i can't think of any way to do that without the use of food, because they are afraid of people. but we think it would be a bad idea to use food, because it could attract wildlife into our backyard. (we live right outside a forest)

any tips?
vet assistant
bio-med major
pisces sun, aquarius moon, cancer rising
intj-t
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm

bahz wrote:
    above: a recent photo of pepper (sorry if the image is really large)

a feral female cat had a litter in our neighbour's backyard two months ago. we tried contacting the local humane society, but decided against surrendering them because there was a rather pricy fee involved. we've looked into animal control, but the local animal control is affiliated with the humane society so i doubt they'll take the cats for free.

anyway, the kittens weren't really a problem in the first month or so of their life, because they just hung out on our neighbour's woodpile. but now that they've grown a bit older, they are much more curious.

they have been coming into our backyard. that wouldn't be so bad if pepper were cat-friendly, but she is far from that.

the most curious kitten is a little calico who've we nicknamed "slinky", because of her rather slinky walk. the cat was sitting right outside of our glass sliding door, and pepper saw her through it. pepper freaked out, and began spitting and growling and hissing. curious, slinky approached pepper and then pepper tried attacking her through the glass. slinky backed off immediately, thankfully, but pepper was extremely anxious. she kept pacing back and forth from window to window, looking for the kittens.

we don't know what to do. the kittens are distressing pepper, and i can't think of any way to get them off our property. i would try to catch them and bring them somewhere where they could live/be fostered, but i can't think of any way to do that without the use of food, because they are afraid of people. but we think it would be a bad idea to use food, because it could attract wildlife into our backyard. (we live right outside a forest)

any tips?

Sounds like the best option is to try to find homes for them before you catch them. When you go to catch them, you might have to use an animal trap like a racoon trap with food in it. You might end up catching another animal; if you do, just carefully release it. That's the only thing I can think of.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Animall » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:14 pm

My kitty Phoenix was raised in a house full of animals. He's getting old, and was therefor stressed that he was surrounded by chaos. My mom has three dogs and four cats in a *TINY* apartment, and thank GOD I was able to move the two of us out of there. He seems so much happier!

He is taking the move VERY well. He's used to moving, this is the fifth place he's lived in, and I'd oftentimes bring him to my boyfriends parents house to visit. He's a very comfortable kitty. He has not ruined anything in my apartment, nor has he begun acting out because he's lonely. This cat is spoiled.

I'm worried that he will start acting up when college starts in the fall, because we will be juggling jobs, college courses, homework, etc all at once. I was thinking about getting a kitten soon so he isnt alone, but I'm also unsure on how he will deal with a new cat. I want to make sure I take the course of action that is best for PHOENIX, not anyone else.

Any advice?

Do you laugh about me whenever I leave?
Or do I still need more therapy?
(fake out)

↞ infj ⎯ she/her ⎯ adult user ↠

trade thread
auction thread

ImageImageImage
Animall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Animall wrote:
My kitty Phoenix was raised in a house full of animals. He's getting old, and was therefor stressed that he was surrounded by chaos. My mom has three dogs and four cats in a *TINY* apartment, and thank GOD I was able to move the two of us out of there. He seems so much happier!

He is taking the move VERY well. He's used to moving, this is the fifth place he's lived in, and I'd oftentimes bring him to my boyfriends parents house to visit. He's a very comfortable kitty. He has not ruined anything in my apartment, nor has he begun acting out because he's lonely. This cat is spoiled.

I'm worried that he will start acting up when college starts in the fall, because we will be juggling jobs, college courses, homework, etc all at once. I was thinking about getting a kitten soon so he isnt alone, but I'm also unsure on how he will deal with a new cat. I want to make sure I take the course of action that is best for PHOENIX, not anyone else.

Any advice?

Maybe you could try fostering a kitten for a while, and see if they get along? If not, you can return them (if your shelter allows that, of course), but adopt them if it goes well. It can be tricky with older animals who aren't used to young animals. My cat was 13 when we introduced a new kitten, and their relationship has been a pretty bumpy road.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 am

Such a bad little tortie, I swear every tortoiseshell I've owned has been a little mischevievous and disobedient moggie, ergh. Can't get her to stay out of my plants for anything. Her face says it all, 'Remove me from the plant if you want, I'll just get right back in it when you go back in the house'. Maybe time to bring out the spray bottle lol.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:51 am

halogen. wrote:Image

Such a bad little tortie, I swear every tortoiseshell I've owned has been a little mischevievous and disobedient moggie, ergh. Can't get her to stay out of my plants for anything. Her face says it all, 'Remove me from the plant if you want, I'll just get right back in it when you go back in the house'. Maybe time to bring out the spray bottle lol.

Try putting an orange peel there.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 am

bahz wrote:

any tips?

Unless you want to pay a bunch of money, you should probably try to use some humane relocation traps with food to capture the kittens, like Naeco suggested. Try to find owners that'll take care of them instead of sending them to a shelter that might slaughter them if they aren't adopted quickly enough.

Also, have you thought about barring Pepper from certain parts of the house where she can see the kittens? Is there a way to close them off from your backyard? If they live most of the time in your neighbor's yard, perhaps you could ask them to do something about it (if you're sure they wouldn't try to hurt the kittens). Good luck!

halogen. wrote:Image

Scatter orange, lime, and lemon peels around the plants. You could also spray the pots with orange juice or lemonade, because most cats really don't like citrus.

You could also try finding a pot identical to her favorite one and fill it with a weed, then let her use it; try scaring her away from the other ones, keeping them out of her reach, or deterring her with citrus.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:05 pm

@naeco @the worst username

we'll see what we can do, although i'd hate to leave food around. there are so many feral cats, raccoons, coyotes, and squirrels around and it wouldn't be in our best interest to attract any of them to us. on the bright side, we will be fully fencing our yard in the near future, which will help with some of the wildlife issues.

as for barring pepper off, i wish we could do that but it is impossible with the way our house is laid out. unless we want to live without any sunlight, haha.

anyway, thank you for the suggestions! i'll look into seeing if we can find homes for them.
vet assistant
bio-med major
pisces sun, aquarius moon, cancer rising
intj-t
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby འབྲོག་ཁྱི » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:57 am

It took my cat 17minutes to eat a half chicken neck :'D not bad for a first time I guess
འབྲོག་ཁྱི

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me